Ali Thread #9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ali's Chernobyl trip to hit screens

She may have a host of famous friends and celebrity parties to attend, but Ali Hewson is set to hit our screens for a very different reason.

The big-hearted wife of U2 rocker Bono will feature in a new television documentary about the children affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

Children Beyond Chernobyl will follow Ali and fellow anti-nuclear campaigner Adi Roche as they go about their work in Belarus.

Ali is so devoted to the plight of orphans in the area that she asked her husband to donate the proceeds of the U2 hit single Sweetest Thing, a song he wrote for her as an apology for forgetting her birthday, to the Chernobyl Children's Project.

The programme, to be aired next week, was filmed in Belarus this summer.

Ali and Adi, along with a 100-strong team of Irish aid workers, will be seen working around the clock at the world's most highly contaminated nuclear accident radiation zone.

Their task was to complete work on the transformation of a near derelict asylum at Vesnova, 120km from Chernobyl, into a world-class centre for children with severe mental and physical illnesses and disabilities.

Ali, who is a patron of the Chernobyl Children's Project, says, "the work the Irish volunteers, builders, doctors, dentists, nurses, child care workers do in Belarus is extraordinary and inspiring".

2708_alibono_h_200225t.jpg

YAY!! I got to see it on cable!..It was heartbreaking but very good :)

WTF?!!! What kind of thread is it?!!
Do you seriously think this way-she's some kind of charity hero?!! The REAL heroes live in Belarus and Ukraine and work as nurses ,doctors, welfare workers and so on!! They ARE heroes! They live here and help people day by day .It's hard work. They left their families ,friends,wellbeing for the people they didn't know. It's NOT the same as sometimes (when you have a break from chasing your husband around the world and partis, yachts,beaches) go to a country and spend some money of your husband ! The people of these countries need help every day and night! You,people,should be ashamed of your words !:angry:
Ali, if you want to be respectable -stop to be so pathetic and get an actual job!!

All relative. My dad fundraises for the RNLI and he's a hero to me..doesn't go out at night in gale forces to rescue people but hey..

I know it's difficult but let's keep the thread on topic and not respond further. No matter how offensive someone's post is, it's never okay to respond by flaming or attacking the poster. Please just report any future posts that upset you and let the mods deal with it privately, as we are doing now. This makes it much easier to keep threads open.

Do you seriously think this way-she's some kind of charity hero?!! The REAL heroes live in Belarus and Ukraine and work as nurses ,doctors, welfare workers and so on!! They ARE heroes! They live here and help people day by day .It's hard work. They left their families ,friends,wellbeing for the people they didn't know. It's NOT the same as sometimes (when you have a break from chasing your husband around the world and partis, yachts,beaches) go to a country and spend some money of your husband ! The people of these countries need help every day and night! You,people,should be ashamed of your words !:angry:
Ali, if you want to be respectable -stop to be so pathetic and get an actual job!!

The question is: what do you do?

Also take a chill pill. Too much anger is bad for your coronaries. :D

You are right when you say the real heros are the nurses doctors, etc. however celebrities like Ali bring their work to our attention and make us aware of the situation. Then, we can decide if we want to help in our way. You have to have respect for someone who takes the time to research and support the "real heros." :yes:

zzhung.gif

ththIgnore.gif

You are right when you say the real heros are the nurses doctors, etc. however celebrities like Ali bring their work to our attention and make us aware of the situation. Then, we can decide if we want to help in our way. You have to have respect for someone who takes the time to research and support the "real heros." :yes:

I don't think Ali, even for a single moment, isn't aware of that and doesn't acknowledge the work of the people there. Both she and Bono have said numerous times who the real heroes are. It's just that famous people like them bring public awareness to these causes and can help in a way the people there might not be able to do themselves. I admire Ali for her work, also because it's really dangerous to go there and help. I admire everyone who helps in any way they can.

Critisism is fair and has to be, but it's just about the way HOW it is brought. You can come in and argue like an adult, in a reasonable and mature way, or you can storm in, throw stones around and scream, just like a child. Seriously, this is getting so much on my nerves, I can't even say how much. I don't even want to mention the insults, like personally attacking people and calling them idiots for supporting someone like Ali.

last unicorn well said :applaud:

one bird save your contempt for people who deserve it - why shoot people down that are trying to help. Thats what Bono's detractors do.

Ali is raising awareness and actively helping and has does for many years.

She is a role model to many of us for all the right reasons.

I don't even want to mention the insults, like personally attacking people and calling them idiots for supporting someone like Ali.
For the first one I want to ask where do you see onebird called someone idiot.I can't find this place.
For a second I want to remind for " even one thousand liers can't make up the truth".

Wow, there's a lot of TROLLS coming to this forum recently. :happy:

:|

New CD soon !! :hyper: :hyper: this is one sing of that! :D is like birth pains!

I really admire what Ali does, she does what she should be doing because she is not a Dr or something similar, she (and associates) are doing a great job informing people about what is happening there :hug:

BTW thanks Niamh for keeping this thread!

so guys let me make a question to move on...
Do you guys know waht Ali do for living?I mean in what he graduate???did she make college???

Ali wanted to become a nurse, the birth of the kids kept her from getting her final diploma. She graduated in political and/or social sciences (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) soon after Jordan was born, so she actually has a degree. She's been supporting the Children of Czernobyl project for many many years now, has been in the forefront at the protests against the nucleas power plant in Sellafield and has been doing a lot of other charity work. She's not always been as public and vocal about it as she's now with Edun (because Bono is involved), most of the times she was working behind the scenes.

And if you're married to Bono, you certainly don't have to work for a living. :wink:

She's a great woman, I admire her.

Yes, she has a degree, and yes, she has actually worked IN the area around Chernobyl and with the orphans brought back to Ireland. I remember once in an interview she was asked why she and Bono did not house or adopt the orphans themselves and she said they felt it would be unfair to bring them into such a high profile lifestyle, having already been through so much. It seems they do not have much trouble finding host and adoptive families for them in Ireland so I see no reason to hold it against Ali that she is not adopting them all herself, it's not like she is having to send them back, homeless and untreated.

BF - I love those "smilies" especially the first one. They're not the nicest but they capture the moment quite well. :up:

I don't even worry about defending Bono and/or Ali anymore in these discussions.

If people don't already know about the tremendous humanitarian activities that the Hewsons do together and individually - then they are obviously not that interested in knowing because the simplest google search will tell a person all that they need to know about the Hewsons' humanitarianism. :love:

I'm already WAY too busy with my own projects to worry about those type of posters.

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :cute:

sorry girls but are you guys talking about my poster?????because if it is I made the question to change subject because I had already know about then humanitarian activity and I want to know more too and last unicorn told me a litlle bit more and I apriciat about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom