Ali 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the beginning of the thread someone metioned a Belgian article. It was in the newspaper today and I scanned it:wink:. There is only one problem: it is in Dutch so not many people will understand it.

c4e2bfe5.jpg

ef0427b5.jpg

542f3556.jpg

Ali3.jpg

Ali5.jpg

Ali6.jpg

Ali7.jpg

Photobucket made them smaller but if you save them and then zoom in you can read the text.

*purple iris* said:
In the beginning of the thread someone metioned a Belgian article. It was in the newspaper today and I scanned it:wink:. There is only one problem: it is in Dutch so not many people will understand it.

Thanks for doing that!!! Lovely pics. Makes me wish I knew Dutch, though. :sad: Ah well! "We dream each other's dreams." :D

oh thank you! I am dutch so I can read it.. wish there would be an interview with Ali in some dutch magazine, I don't have one yet... neither I have a mag with Larry in it...

purple iris. Dank u!! Fantastisch gedacht!!
Beautiful pics!! I'll enjoy reading it that way I get to practice my dutch again. I'm working on it, it's been a few yrs. :huh:

Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applaud:

I wouldn't mind having it in full size also. Would you mind emailing it to me too? Thank you again!! I know another couple of Belgians I can forward it to then. :D

degel4@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Hi, I speak Dutch as well, and considering that I'm sick, bored and have too much time on my hands right now I've already translated a small part. I'll try to translate more soon.

Ali Hewson greets me together with designer Rogan Gregory in showroom of Edun, the fair trade, but trendy fashion label which she she founded a year ago with her husband Paul Hewson aka Bono.

When she talks about him, she calls him B.

Sometimes Bono, but even more often Baby. Alison met Bono when his name was still Paul, at highschool in the Northern part of Dublin. She was 12, he 13, and he fell for her the very first day they met. Alison, as she says it, took a liking for him after four days, but they only started dating when she was 15 and he had just started a band with his friends.

Almost 30 years have passed since then

That band has become world's biggest rockband. Ali and Bono have been married for 24 years and have got four children together.

Time seems to have no hold on Ali. She still has the same youthful face as on photo's from the early years. Dark eyes, ravenblack hair, laughing wrinkles. A natural beauty, without vanity. That's, as we read in several interviews with Bono, one of the main reasons he immediately fell in love with her. "Her careless style." is his answer when being asked what exactly made Alison so attractive to him. "She used to wear wellies with Scottish skirts. She seemed to be so unaware of how she looked like, that I thought that she was the most beautiful girl in the world."

And then there's a little story which appears later in the article. But it was so funny, that I've already translated it for you.

When talking about B's notorious charm....

I (the reporter) tell her that he almost gave me a heart attack that night. When the singer spotted my little notebook, he grabbed it out of my hands and signed it. She laughs out loud. "You think that's charming?" Some people would call that megalomania." :lmao: Oh Bono....:giggle:

WHENEVER I see a pic of them walking together...I notice that thier strides and feet are almost identical

Ali's necklace dazzles (March 2005)

A HOST of stars turned out at the Burlington Hotel for the awards on Friday night which also featured a raffle and an auction in aid of the Chernobyl Children's Project and Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin.

And Bono's wife, Ali Hewson, revealed a new string to her bow - by turning jewellery designer.

Ali, 39, designed a stunning one-off white gold and diamond cross, modelled right by Katie French, which was raffled off at the event on Friday night - but the kind winner of the cross gave it back for an auction which raised another EUR16,000.

Among those at the event to pay tribute to Larry Gogan were fellow DJs Gay Byrne, Ian Dempsey, Tom Dunne and his old friend Terry Wogan.

After video tributes from a host of stars including Westlife and Ronan Keating, Terry Wogan gave a moving tribute to his old pal before presenting him with his award.

Continue article
Advertisement

Terry said: "Larry is probably the best loved broadcaster on this island - nobody has a bad word to say about him.

"He's the king of the Disc Jockeys - I hope he will continue to bring joy and happiness to all his listeners for a very long time to come."

Ali 39 in 2005???
err... ok she looks like it.. but she is from 61 so that would make her 44... :rolleyes:

never knew about the necklace thingy tho.. :)

FALL-OUT OVER CHERNOBYL FILM
Sunday Mirror, Nov 14, 2004 by EXCLUSIVE By MAEVE QUIGLEY

CHERNOBYL campaigners Adi Roche and Ali Hewson have revealed the Oscar-winning film about their charity failed to raise any cash for the cause.

Speaking at the launch of the charity's new Christmas cards, Chernobyl Children's Project founder Adi said although Chernobyl Heart had raised the profile of the charity, it had done little to help their bank balance.

Adi said: "We have had a very high profile year but that doesn't translate into money.

"It is a problem because people have the assumption that because we won the Oscar for Chernobyl Heart and because of the surrounding publicity, that cash has come pouring in.

"But the publicity didn't translate into coinage - there is a serious misapprehension that money comes with those kind of events."

Ali Hewson - who is married to U2 frontman Bono - said the film did pay dividends by making people understand exactly what happened and is still happening in Chernobyl.

Ali said: "The film and the Oscar win raised our profile but more importantly it made people realise about what could happen if Chernobyl was to happen anywhere else.

"So winning the Oscar was great in terms of getting our message across but not good for bringing in cash."

Now the charity has teamed up with Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin to launch a series of Christmas cards by five Irish artists which will raise funds for both causes.

The cards by Rasher, Robert Ballagh, Jim Fitzpatrick, Graham Knuttel and Barry Flanagan will be on sale at Statoil Faretrade and Golden Discs.

Ali said: "We're always trying to think of new ideas to raise money. It's hard to try and think of new things all the time as the ideas mainly come from Adi and myself.

"We have a lot of work to do and unless we get regular funding we can't do it.

"And if we can find a way to get long lasting projects to restore some kind of hope in Belarus and the surrounding areas, then maybe some of the children affected will get to see next Christmas."

Adi said: "The idea for the Christmas cards came from Rasher and Noel Kelly last year and it is fantastic for us when people come up with ideas and follow them through.

"It's a great sense of relief - if anything keeps us awake at night, it is worrying about how we can sustain the work.

"We have to be able to offer consistency - you can't not put a roof on an orphanage because not enough money has come in.

"We are looking at long-term development - this is not just a finger in the dyke job.

Thanks for all of your get well wishes. :hug: I'm enjoying the translating. So here's the 2nd part. Forgive me for any errors:

Although she's married to the world's most famous rockstar, she isn't your typical rockstar wife. She rarely goes to parties, never shows up in borrowed or free designer clothes, and neither has any interest in free designer bags from Louis Vuitton or Tod's. "Me not being your typical rocker's wife, could tell you more about Bono then about me", Ali says. The more famous he got, the more I retracted myself in the shadows.

The result of that is that we live a reasonable normal life when he's home. In Ireland I'm quite well known as well, but we can still go and have a snack in the local pub without being hassled there."

For special occasions, she's willing to sacrifice her beloved privacy. Back in 1993 for instance, when she agreed to present the Oscar winning documentary Black Wind, White Land, about the consequenses being suffered by habitants of White Russia of the nuclear disaster in Chernobyl in 1986. Since last year, she's making an exception again, this time as the driving force behind Edun, the fair trade jeans label that she has launched together with her husband and designer Rohan Gregory. "If I can help with making the Third World liveable again and at the same time raise consumer awareness, why wouldn't I do it? It's better then staying at home and just write a big, fat check from time to time for some charity organisation", she states. "I couldn't do it, just watching from the sidelines.

Since I was young, I've been dreaming to help people. I've always wanted to become a nurse. I already pictured myself in a hospital at the other side of the world. Helping people, giving them medicines, talking with them.

The training to become a nurse was too demanding and couldn't be combined with a husband who travelled the world. It would have strained our relationship too much, so I gave up that dream.

I'd choose to study political and social sciences instead to get insight in the world and learn to do something to help and make it better. It's not the same, but it comes pretty close to nursing."

ALI FOR PRESIDENT

At the evening before our meeting the couple presented the new winter collection of Edun in a gallery near Central Park. Don't expect a big, fancy party for the Bono family label, it's an intimate and casual affair where artists, friends and a few journalists were invited.

Moby was there, Michael Stipe and Lou Reed. A sort of celebrity party by coincidence, with a eccentric jazzband, naive paintings on the walls and Bono speaking passionately about projects he's involved in.

Ali stood by his side and listened to her man with on her face an expression of pride and well hidden amusement. Bono's legendary charm still gets to her, even though she knows him better than anyone.

I tell her that he almost gave me a heart attack that night. The singer spotted my little notebook, he then grabbed it out of my hands and signed it. She laughs out loud. "You think that's charming?" Some people would call that megalomania."

Coming from someone else, this comment could soumd quite sour, but not when it comes from Bono's loving wife. She doesn't put him on a pedestal. If he returns home after a tour and has to go cold turkey from all the addictive attention, she sometimes tells him quite bluntly that his family is not a crowd of 50.000 people, the table no stage and would he please shut his mouth. Bono says sometimes, jokingly, that he feels like some displaced goods at home, waiting to be sorted. "She's the evil eye", he tells Time Magazine in 1987. "I musn't try to flaunt with her. She's got her own mind, she knows what she wants. So you could call our relationship stormy." But he also calls her his hero, an example of mental health, despite of the fact that she has chosen to spend her life with him.

Dreams

U2-biographer Eamon Dunph agrees that Ali is Bono's best character trade. Calm, rational and not easily impressed by a famous name. During writing songs for U2's album War, the singer wrestled with writer's block. Each morning Ali dragged him out of bed and put a pen in his hand. The song The Sweetest Thing he wrote for her birthday, which he forgot. Ali claimed the rights of the song and the profits of it went to charity. Bono did let her star in the video and she could pick the extras, she choose for The Chippendales, an elephant and the boyband Boyzone.

"We have been able to put up with each other for so long, Ali explains, because we give each other the freedom to do something with our life. We dream each other's dreams. Bono stimulates me to develop myself. He backs me up all the way."

Standing up for a better world is a big thing these two've got in common. After the first Live Aid concert in 1985 the couple went to Ethiopia for five weeks, where they worked in an orphanage as volunteers. Not long after that Ali enrolled in college. Two weeks after Jordan's birth, their first girl, she graduated as a political scientist. Although she was planning to add a study Morals and Ethics to her curriculum, she gave birth two years later to her daughter Eve. Because studying wasn't an option then, she decided to become an activist instead and to fight against the nuclear plant in Sellafield, Great Britain, which got rid of its waste water in the Irish Sea. Her actions didn't go by unnoticed. When the British government opened a site where nuclear waste from over the whole world be stored, she got U2 to hand out protective suits during the delivery of radioactive mud.

After that followed the famous documentary in 1993, and she was a patroness of an Irish charity project which helped children who suffered distortions due to the Chernobyl disaster. In 2002 she got 1,2 out of 1,3 Irish households to send a card to the British Prime Minister, Prince Charles and Norman Askew, the President of British Nuclear Fuels, on the cards a plea to finally close down Sellafield.

It's not very surprising that the Irish Labour Party did ask her in 2004 if she wanted to run for President. Ali turned the request dow: "I don't have the capacities and I have to raise four kids. And because my husband tells me that us six would never fit in the presidential residence." was how she explained her decision to the BBC. In the middle of her career of an activist the couple had two more children, two boys this time: Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q en John Abraham.

Now that she has Edun to watch over as well, she has to, like every working mother, organise her household strictly.

The kids are already 16, 14, 6 and 4 years old. They know very well what I'm doing if I aren't home.", she says. "If one of them would suffer because of my job, I'd stop. But they fully support us, and they learn much this way. Our household functions like a militairy operation. Before we leave, the four children have to stand in line and they get their orders for the coming week. It's a fulltime task to keep up with who's being where at which moment of the day."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom