Albuquerque, New Mexico Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would you think of that? Is there something wrong?

Maybe you need a little break from U2, with this long break.

I'm totally worn down. I'm not enjoying myself any more. Look, I'll be honest here - I haven't said this in public yet, because I'll probably get torn apart and I just don't want to argue about it, but the 360 Tour is my least favourite U2 tour ever. Even worse than Elevation's 3rd leg. It got really hard continuing to rigorously maintain U2gigs like I do, day after day, especially as the setlist progressively got worse. I put in hours of work each day on the site.

I really badly wanted to like this tour. I think Vertigo (even though it was supporting a mundane album) was the best U2 tour since the eighties. I think NLOTH is the best U2 album since Pop. I didn't expect such a mundane tour. It took me a while to realise the depth of my feeling about this, because I kept trying to tell myself it wasn't bad. And that just stopped working.

Obviously this means a lot to me. U2 mean a lot to me. But right now? I'm just grateful the tour's over for the year. I know I can't quit U2gigs, and why do I even care about the setlist when I'm not there, but you DO end up caring when you put in all this time to reporting on the band, adjusting your social schedule to suit, losing sleep to suit. I thought I'd be lost without the tour; I sure was whenever Vertigo had a lengthy break, even during the static parts of the tour. But no, I'm relieved. I shouldn't have any expectations next year might be better, but ... god, I hope it is. I still want to follow them around Australia, I still want to do the live sets; all that stuff is usually great fun. I want how I feel right now to go away.

So there you go. Shoot me down as much as you like.

I've been thinking this for a long time. If doing this stuff is going to give you more anger than pleasure, then I hope you make the most of the break, Ax, for real.

Yeah, sometimes you do need a break from things you love, that's how life goes.

I'm totally worn down. I'm not enjoying myself any more. Look, I'll be honest here - I haven't said this in public yet, because I'll probably get torn apart and I just don't want to argue about it, but the 360 Tour is my least favourite U2 tour ever. Even worse than Elevation's 3rd leg. It got really hard continuing to rigorously maintain U2gigs like I do, day after day, especially as the setlist progressively got worse. I put in hours of work each day on the site.

I really badly wanted to like this tour. I think Vertigo (even though it was supporting a mundane album) was the best U2 tour since the eighties. I think NLOTH is the best U2 album since Pop. I didn't expect such a mundane tour. It took me a while to realise the depth of my feeling about this, because I kept trying to tell myself it wasn't bad. And that just stopped working.

Obviously this means a lot to me. U2 mean a lot to me. But right now? I'm just grateful the tour's over for the year. I know I can't quit U2gigs, and why do I even care about the setlist when I'm not there, but you DO end up caring when you put in all this time to reporting on the band, adjusting your social schedule to suit, losing sleep to suit. I thought I'd be lost without the tour; I sure was whenever Vertigo had a lengthy break, even during the static parts of the tour. But no, I'm relieved. I shouldn't have any expectations next year might be better, but ... god, I hope it is. I still want to follow them around Australia, I still want to do the live sets; all that stuff is usually great fun. I want how I feel right now to go away.

So there you go. Shoot me down as much as you like.

There's no part in your post that would want me to "shoot you down", I fully understand how you feel and all of this that has been happening. The long break would benefit you quite a bit, and it comes at just the right time. For not just you, but alot of U2's fans, heck even U2 themselves, to catch their breath.

I'm fine with you being tired of the tour, Ax, I was tired of it by the 4th or 5th show. It just kind of bugs me to come in here and see you bash the hell out of the one thing I've been truly excited about since the tour began. Eh, whatever, to each his own, I'm not going to get angry about it or anything. Just concentrate on some other shit for a while.

I suppose it's inevitable that one would get so emotionally invested in something if hours of their life were deducted each day because of it. On the other hand, what U2 performs is out of your control, Ax. At some point, you have to detach yourself a little bit, enough to cope with the mundanity.

There's no part in your post that would want me to "shoot you down", I fully understand how you feel and all of this that has been happening. The long break would benefit you quite a bit, and it comes at just the right time. For not just you, but alot of U2's fans, heck even U2 themselves, to catch their breath.

Thanks. I honestly hope they DON'T announce the Australian leg too soon, because I'm really not sure what I want to do right now. Even a couple of weeks into the second leg, my desire to follow the band around here hadn't been impacted and I was genuinely looking forward to it ... the last few shows, however, have made a dent.

I'm fine with you being tired of the tour, Ax, I was tired of it by the 4th or 5th show. It just kind of bugs me to come in here and see you bash the hell out of the one thing I've been truly excited about since the tour began. Eh, whatever, to each his own, I'm not going to get angry about it or anything. Just concentrate on some other shit for a while.

I don't even know what "one thing" you're referring to, especially since you've been less pumped about UF than me.

I don't even know what "one thing" you're referring to, especially since you've been less pumped about UF than me.

What part of U2 performing with Bruce, Mick Jagger, and Black Eyed Peas wouldn't excite Ashley? :wink:

Thanks. I honestly hope they DON'T announce the Australian leg too soon, because I'm really not sure what I want to do right now. Even a couple of weeks into the second leg, my desire to follow the band around here hadn't been impacted and I was genuinely looking forward to it ... the last few shows, however, have made a dent.

I don't think they'll be announced until a few months into the future, but if they did now, that'll give you a virtual heart attack, I would think.

I suppose it's inevitable that one would get so emotionally invested in something if hours of their life were deducted each day because of it. On the other hand, what U2 performs is out of your control, Ax. At some point, you have to detach yourself a little bit, enough to cope with the mundanity.

It's hard to have what amounts to a position with no influence. I've tried to detach, but when I'm just going through the motions on the site ... it's boring and I realise I could be doing so much else. It's hard to keep a positive (or at least neutral) face too, especially when people are submitting negative comments about the tour that I totally agree with and expect some sort of response from me. And I've been biting my tongue a hell of a lot on the forums here, not participating that much in the tour forum or anything ... I don't have the desire or energy for the arguments there, but it's bloody hard to censor and muzzle myself.

What part of U2 performing with Bruce, Mick Jagger, and Black Eyed Peas wouldn't excite Ashley? :wink:

But I haven't bashed U2 appearing with Springsteen or Jagger ...

I don't think they'll be announced until a few months into the future, but if they did now, that'll give you a virtual heart attack, I would think.

Heh, yeah. Assuming a November 2010 tour, I expect the following:

November 2009: North American and final European shows sorted, tickets go on sale. Possibly spill-over into December.
December 2009: South American tour announced for early 2010. Possibly some sales spillover into January 2010.
January or February 2010: Australian tour announced. Possibly just after a Songs Of Ascent lead single if it's finished and released that quickly.

But I haven't bashed U2 appearing with Springsteen or Jagger ...

Heh, yeah. Assuming a November 2010 tour, I expect the following:

November 2009: North American and final European shows sorted, tickets go on sale. Possibly spill-over into December.
December 2009: South American tour announced for early 2010. Possibly some sales spillover into January 2010.
January or February 2010: Australian tour announced. Possibly just after a Songs Of Ascent lead single if it's finished and released that quickly.

If they come to Australia after Songs of Ascent is released then i'll be as happy as ever.

Eh, I don't really feel like speculating about the new album/tour or anything else at the moment.

If that article about the "density" of nltoh being too much for fans is anything to go by, I'm starting to have Doubts about Songs of Ascent.

If that article about the "density" of nltoh being too much for fans is anything to go by, I'm starting to have Doubts about Songs of Ascent.

Especially since Bono seems to equate failure of the lead single to hook in listeners with failure of the album as a whole. They didn't release an album that's too dense or anything; they released a lead single that failed to entice the widest possible market into the album in the first place.

Magnificent should've been the lead single. I now think it's one of the album's weaker tracks, but it leaves a good first impression and would've won over a lot of the people who were put off by Boots.

I had never thought of Bono as a condescending ass prior to that interview, just a regular one.

Somebody just submitted a review of a UF Tour show to U2gigs describing Bono introducing Bad as a song about a "heroine epedemic".

I cracked up.

The spelling mistakes are fixed now, though I'm still wondering just how heroin can be an epidemic! Oh no, guys, I've caught heroin.

Somebody just submitted a review of a UF Tour show to U2gigs describing Bono introducing Bad as a song about a "heroine epedemic".

I cracked up.

The spelling mistakes are fixed now, though I'm still wondering just how heroin can be an epidemic! Oh no, guys, I've caught heroin.

hahahahahahahhahaha. i have nothing more to say than that.

I would've been in agreement until recently. Last few months, my opinion of the guy really has taken a turn for the worse.

Funnily, I think my opinion of Larry may have (marginally!) improved.

Back
Top Bottom