Album Title Analysis: October*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/analysis/october-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By: Ali Ficklin

October and the trees are stripped bare of all that they wear / What do I care?

A change of seasons, a change in U2's sound. Expenses, stress and lost lyrics all tried to hamper the recording of U2's second album "October," however, soul overcame frustration at Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin, and in October 1981 the album was released.

What was the significance behind the month of October that caused U2 to name an album this? A lot happened in the world in 1981 that could have influenced their decision. To name a few things, this was the year AIDS was discovered, Pope John Paul II was almost assassinated, as well as was former President Ronald Reagan. In Northern Ireland, a historical hunger strike was occurring at The Maze Prison where some prisoners were protesting to be called prisoners of war, instead of criminals. All these events could have had some influence on the creation and titling of the bands second LP. Or, perhaps it was just a simple choice in relation to the song of the same title. Either way we're going to get to the bottom of it, starting with the album cover.

With the cover photographed by Ian Finley at the Dublin docks on what appears to be a chilly day, the refrain of the moment is calm and collected with only The Edge and Larry Mullen Jr. looking straight into the camera. Dressed warmly, Bono, in what appears to be a denim jacket (an '80s fashion must), Mullen in a turtleneck (who would've thought), Adam Clayton in some type of wool/tweed sports coat, and The Edge with a classic shirt and jacket. The band members all appear to be deep in thought with their wind swept hair and gray sky behind them, a portrait of the season is being displayed and the scene is set for the title.

october.jpg

In some ways the cover reflects the mood of the album. The songs aren't necessarily filled with sunshine but are warm and crisp, filled with that raw, heartfelt emotion, such as in "I Fall Down," "Fire," and "I Threw a Brick Through a Window." "October" is an album made for autumn and winter ears. The guitar solos have that distinct irreplaceable quality The Edge brings that reaches out and pulls you in, setting the tone for the songs. Mullen's drumming becomes more powerful, and passionate with each beat, and can be felt to the core in songs like "I Threw a Brick through a Window," "With a Shout" and "Scarlet." Bono's voice explodes through the speakers lighting fire to your ears with his energetic vocal expressions, and emotional tones, as heard on songs like "Gloria," "Rejoice," and "Tomorrow."

Close your eyes, and lose yourself in the album. You can easily imagine autumn all around you, falling leaves, burnt colors, and the cool air blowing on your face. This album has a peacefulness that wraps itself around you, as does the winds of fall, in the end leaving you inspired and longing for the season to stay just a little longer.

I believe the sound of the album and feel of autumn in Dublin played a big part in deciding on a suitable title for this album. In the end my conclusion for its naming "October," is rather simple, that was the month U2 was formed—October 1976. The month is undoubtedly filled with special meaning, nostalgia and amazing memories for the band so why not memorialize the month, freeze the October era in time and always be able to reflect upon the moments of those days through music with an album commemorating the month it all started—October.

Last edited:
October

I can't remember where exacly, but I heard the lyrics Bono had originaly written for the album October were lost or stolen and recovered recently. Would you be willing to clear this up for me and maybe other fans? Thank you Cork.:eyebrow:

Yes, Just last month a briefcase containing the lyrics and other documents were reunited with the band, after being found in a rental house's attic in Tacoma, Washington in 1981. You can read the fully story in the Interference News Archives :)

Great song, I think it's underrated among U2 fans. It would be AWESOME if they decided to play it live again even just once.

GREAT article

Really appreciated reading this...there was some discussion about the artwork some time ago, and I got rather heated up in defense...you have eloquently stated what I've felt for years...that the band was trying to encapsulate just who they were...frozen in the moment...and of course the name..pushing through all the adversity..and still they go on...;)

GREAT album

Tomorrow
With A Shout
October
I Threw A Brick
must I go on?

GREAT article!

(there were SO many reasons to name our band after this album, I still wouldn't choose another name for anything in the world :))

That band October is pretty incredible. It's amazing how close that guitar sounds to edge's guitar. I think you guys sound better than that band 2u. I think 2u's singer sounds closer to Bono though, October's Bono sounds (I think) extremely close to Perry Farell from Janes Addiction. That's still pretty incredible, keep up the excellent work guys. You should come to Washington D.C. some time, Peace and love.:cool: :bow: :applaud:

OMFG that's hilarious...

Thanks for the compliments, would you believe that you're not the only one who thinks I should be doing a Jane's Addiction tribute band?? Our bassist, our soundguy...fans...lol..

The funniest part is I know maybe 2 Jane's Addiction songs...don't really know what that guy sounds like to be honest...

..sounding like Bono...well I'm just basically singing from the heart and in my heart I know I'm not Bono..but we have a great time paying tribute to our favorite band ever! :)

We'll come to Washington, anytime! :)

This is one of my favorite albums.Simple songs that are impossible to duplicate on my fender strat.I love the edge's keyboard in October.Expecially like the song,Rejoice...

Back
Top Bottom