Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Normally I wouldn't get excited either except for the fact that we first heard it from someone outside U2's camp.

It means at least there is a definite intention to release two this time, not like SOA, where they said, "we will, we have to finish it though"

I am hopeful because it was raised in the context of "why aren't you finished yet?" So to me this means they are FINISHING a second album, rather than having it loosely shaped with a view to coming back. If they finish a second album before releasing the first, then they can drop it whenever they want.

You thought Zooropa was a dance album? Do you dance to Babyface or Wanderer?

Lemon apart no it s not but i meant in the spirit of Zooropa, a UFO, a recreation,released during summer, the dance record the band talking about since month, and then the album... Dig it?

Laughed when I saw the @U2 tweet about it, was looking forward to the reaction here.

Should be very interesting. Release schedule like Achtung/Zooropa maybe? All I know is that the whole releasing one album, followed two months later by another one (and another one two months later) didn't work out so well for Green Day!

Maybe 1st album is released somewhere April-June to get in before the Grammy cutoff date. Second album is a fall release, so they would be eligible for at least 2-3 years of Grammy awards. Lol

I remember someone wondering if Coldplay's new album will outsell U2's new album if they drop them at the same time (or something to that effect). I just noticed this on Youtube:

Invisible has 2.5 million views two weeks after its premiere, with a massive promotional drive (Super Bowl ad and The Tonight Show performance)

Midnight has 5.8 million views in just 4 days, with zero promotion so far

Take that for what you will.

Invisible: Like 17,632 // Don't Like: 614

Midnight: Like 63,857 // Don't Like: 5,990

That's A LOT of "Don't like" for Coldplay, almost 10%

And one comment says they're releasing a new song on Monday. Hmm...

Come on people. There aren't 2 albums. Oh wait. Songs of Ascent was an excellent follow up to NLOTH in 2009.

Sent from my SM-N900P using U2 Interference mobile app

Right. Views does not translate to popularity. Plus, thanks to the SB commercial, a ton of people downloaded the song, which would make having to listen to the song via Youtube unnecessary (aside from simply wanting to watch the video, but that's probably a fairly small percentage).

I am way past the point of caring whether u2 is still the biggest band in the world, or whether they outsell Coldplay. I just want a masterpiece that earns them back the respect and relevance that many seem to think they have lost. Coldplay may be the biggest but not many musicians out there have ever thought they were the best at any point, unlike u2, REM, Radiohead and even Oasis have been over the years.

Adam "an abundance of riches" edge "30 some odd songs" Bono "were working on 2 of them" Larry "I can't stand these guys anymore, can't we get on with it and retire? My back is killing me"

Guys. I think they're going to release 3 albums this year!!!! 111111111

Sent from my SM-N900P using U2 Interference mobile app

She also said something about announcing the upcoming arena tour, and Bono quickly dodged that topic altogether, instead choosing to divulge a little info on the album. Such secrecy! Get Bono drunk and get him talking more!

Bono said what now?

Oh.

asdgd_zps696fc205.gif

It's a conspiracy.

It's a tease.

It's a clever ruse.

It's a mirage.

I'm tellin' y'all it's SABOTAGE!

Right. Views does not translate to popularity. Plus, thanks to the SB commercial, a ton of people downloaded the song, which would make having to listen to the song via Youtube unnecessary (aside from simply wanting to watch the video, but that's probably a fairly small percentage).

Yeah, I was just going to say this. Pretty sure the Coldplay video is the only way people can hear the new song right now, whereas Invisible was offered as a free download and then almost immediately went on sale. Not that I necessarily think that U2 would have more views if things were more equal, but it's not really fair to compare them.

Anyway, hi everyone, I'm Erin, long-time lurker, and this is maybe my 3rd? post. I'll see when I hit enter. I'm gonna try and participate more in the lead-up to this album cos it just seems like so much fun. :sexywink:

EDIT: 20th post! Surprising.

Last edited:

Seems the new coldplay video is featured on several prominent music sites, from rolling stone to pitchfork, as well as time. Maybe that has to do with the number of views?

Free download or no free download, Coldplay is more popular among the (key) younger audience (from a business perspective) than U2. Have been for a while now (compare how U2's last album performed commercially against the Coldplay album at the time).

Now I personally don't care about any of that, but U2 have always been concerned about being hip. They've always wanted to be the water-cooler band. That's what Bono's relevance crap is all about. They want to relive the "success" of ATYCLB and Bomb. And maybe they will this time, if they listen to Chris Martin and put out that polka album ;)

Yeah, I was just going to say this. Pretty sure the Coldplay video is the only way people can hear the new song right now, whereas Invisible was offered as a free download and then almost immediately went on sale. Not that I necessarily think that U2 would have more views if things were more equal, but it's not really fair to compare them.

Anyway, hi everyone, I'm Erin, long-time lurker, and this is maybe my 3rd? post. I'll see when I hit enter. I'm gonna try and participate more in the lead-up to this album cos it just seems like so much fun. :sexywink:

EDIT: 20th post! Surprising.

Ditto. This isn't a fair comparison. Cold play's song debuted on YouTube. U2's debuted on iTunes. People have never had to go to YouTube to hear Invisible. If that had been the case, it would have far, far more views.

Back
Top Bottom