*ahem* er, um, well, you see...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*hangs head in shame*

I am an alias...

Maybe it started with my chatting habits... when I started I swapped handles as often and I changed my socks, but once I found the right one I've pretty much stuck to it ever since (not that I really chat any more anyway).

I came into being to allow the parent persona to post things they may not have felt comfortable posting under their more familiar nick name... which is completely stupid really. What can I say, they're easily embarrassed.
And we've all got a bit of multiple personalities anyway, I figure. Why not give them their own names?

Still I feel bad cos it feels like I'm lying to people, they respond to things I've posted and think I'm a separate individual... or maybe I'm just worrying about it too much. After all, I'm damn sure I'm not the only one. I saw a thread inviting other aliases to 'fess up a while ago, but that was before I officially existed...

Well, I've spilled me guts. If anyone cares to guess at my other handle, feel free.

hmmm..were you an animal, vegetable, mineral, or (scratches head)....how does that go again?

Hey ho, here we go...
smile.gif

*rummages around intestines for more spillage* Okay, that's gross...
How's this...

Beneath my quiet, shy exterior, I'm beginning to think I have an ego the size of the all outdoors. In cyberspace at least... I seem to crave attention and approval, and the whole thing is quite pathetic, really. Maybe that makes up for me being so quiet and unassuming IRL, I don't know. Zooropamanda's comment prompted me to spill further, 'oh look! Someone noticed! someone wondered about me! Someone's interested! yippee!'.... sigh.
Perhaps this only confirms my feeling that Zooropamanda is a deeply insightful and intelligent person, but am I just flattering myself that such a person cares enough to want me to spill more? Argh! I'll send myself insane if I'm not already there.
I'm also thinking that perhaps I have a deep-seated fear of people KNOWING me... which is also completely stupid, considering that most of the stuff I post on Feedback under either handle (on any forum, but particularly Dream Out Loud) is of such a personal nature, things I've never shown to ANYONE I know in person, ever, and am not considering it now... however I feel quite happy posting these things here for potentially all the world to see. The thought also flits across my mind occasionally to send some of the said things to a publisher, but that would be the height of egotism, and besides, if in the unlikely event they were interested, I'd probably have to end up sitting down with a Real Person (tm) and discussing them with them. Erk, no. Maybe a nom de plume...? (haha)
Yet... the reason this persona exists now is because in some corner of my neurotic little brain, I decided that my original nickname was too well-known, people may not respond honestly enough (and here I kid myself that despite still being a complete stranger and only a name on a screen, people may be concerned for my feelings - just because I feel this way about other forum users doesn't mean others do), they already knew me... so I had to start anonymously afresh.

I keep telling you, absolutely bananas.

So here I am, probably eventually going to be found out, and all that effort for nothing... *shakes head* I've met maybe two people from this forum IRL... I don't think either of them frequent Dream Out Loud at all, so WHAT THE HELL AM I WORRIED ABOUT? Why am I so afraid/embarrassed to let people know all of me? Do they have preconceived ideas about me I don't want to shatter? Do I fear their rejection when they find out what other sort of things I have lurking behind what they think they know about me?
(ie; that I'm a complete loony)

Anything else you'd like me to spill, Zooropamanda?
smile.gif

And to answer your question, grace... animal...
wink.gif

Hmmm, yes Zoomanda, you're right, tis someone familiar, even before this new divulgence of information.
Yes Mac's Adv., people are talking about you! Can we add paranoia to your list? Hehehe

Actually, one person you remind me of couldn't possibly be you. But mark my words, you have been shortlisted!

Along with about 3 others, which I don't want to say until you spill some more...

--------------
*thats much better*

[This message has been edited by Angela Harlem (edited 04-30-2001).]

See, if you hadn't gone and flattered me I wouldn't have now felt the need to pressure you into more spillage...

Now I really want to know.

Yes, Ms Harlem, methinks you are correct, this person seems more and more familiar, I have my suspicions, however, the chat handle thing threw me.

Maybe if I tell mine, you will tell yours
biggrin.gif

ah, the flattery works both ways...
biggrin.gif

What more can I spill? I'd rather not address issues of gender or nationality... although having said that I've probably ruled myself out of consideration for US membership. And also, people can probably pick if I'm a guy or a girl from how I write anyway (now that I'm not trying so hard to not write like me!).
As curious as you are about me, I'm dying to see your shortlists...
wink.gif

Look, that does it, Manda, lets rendezvous and compare notes on this guy (?). Hehehehe.

I've been reconsidering the list, and you sound a bit like all of them! And of course we wont be saying anymore, cos chances are, I at least, am way off the mark here
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Angela Harlem (edited 04-30-2001).]

ok...lets make a distinction here...are you: amphibian, fish, bird, reptile, insect, or mammal?

first guess: bicycling fish...cuz he/she also has an alias confession posted. . . it would be tricky to fool us that way. but i'm quick! or just got no idea...

------------------
little fly/thy summers play/my thoughtless hand/has brush'd away.
am not i/a fly like thee?/or art not thou/A man like me?
for i dance/and drink & sing/till some blind hand/shall brush my wing.

*bzzzzzt* Sorry, I'm not a fish.
smile.gif

hehe, I've almost stopped feeling guilty... I say, this IS jolly good fun though, isn't it?
biggrin.gif

Hmm, the vagaries of scientific nomenclature... Out of those, I'd have to say reptile is closest, although depending on who you talk to, there is definately some birdyness there too.

*wonders if that's as big a give-away as I think it is!*

Enjoy the game folks...
smile.gif

dingdingdingding! Awooga! *bells and whistles and balloons and streamers etc*
And other congratulatory noises... You found me out Bebe! First prize to you... here, have a lamington!
biggrin.gif

*couldn't think of anything else off the top of her head*

"this guy"? *L* Very curious indeed... I had no idea I came off as so androgynous here as well as IRL (this damn short haircut).
smile.gif

Game over indeed...
So Bebe, did the reptile-bird thing give it away after all?

*feels slightly silly after all the brou-ha-ha*
redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Alisaura (edited 05-03-2001).]

lol Alisaura... no not androgynous, you just act out the "anonymous" individual quite well!

Hmmmm well, lucky guess really!
biggrin.gif

I just had this feeling it was you! You may be convincing... but you can't keep yourself hidden forever he-he

Sorry to end the game, guys...

If you want the game could continue--have every guess at what a lamington is! (oh, wait... I'm the only one who doesn't know, aren't I?!?!)

*Bebe hides in shame*

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

lol that was a quality post Ali!!
biggrin.gif

I had no clue...nice work!

I have a alt nick too but I haven't used it because I already feel guilty just having it...
maybe one day...

Don't feel guilty BabyGrace... I kinda did at first but I'm better now.
smile.gif
I think so many people have done it, it's practically normal... I personally don't care, I forgive you! *hug*
biggrin.gif
I think it's natural to want to put up a mask when you say some things... say, what was Achtung Baby and ZooTV all about again? If U2 can do it, why not us?
And Bebe, a lamington is a really yummy Aussie cake thing... it's a square of sponge cake with choccy stuff on the outside with coconut... and an optional layer of jam in the middle. It's a ripper mate!
smile.gif

thanks for the encouragement! now maybe I'll use it hehehe
biggrin.gif

come to think of it, didn't you respond under the wrong name to one of your topics in the Corner? hahaha
that was funny, too bad I didn't even realize it!

------------------
And I must be an acrobat
To talk like this, and act like that...

Time for me to blush again!
*L* Dammit, I was hoping nobody noticed that...
smile.gif
Yes I did accidentally reply in the wrong name... serves me right, eh?
Glad I've amused you so...
biggrin.gif

Anyone else up for lamingtons?

OMIGOSHYOUAREMEIAMYOU!!! seriously, you absolutely put your finger on it when you said how you are in your cyberlife compared to how you are IRL...that's me EXACTLY!!! I'm very quiet/reserved in real life, but VERY chatty/outgoing on line...I also have a fear of being 'known' too deeply...yet I crave intimacy...I love the attention I get on-line (no one-on-one, face-to-face dealings there), but in real life, I shy away from any attention...I have a deep-seated fear of speaking in front of people, yet I have a deep desire to be a rock star, sing, be on stage, the whole bit. To say I'm dichotomous wouldn't be the half of it...

so don't feel bad...there are more people out there like you than you think...I'm proof! :)

kelli

Originally posted by McPhisto's Advocate:

Beneath my quiet, shy exterior, I'm beginning to think I have an ego the size of the all outdoors. In cyberspace at least... I seem to crave attention and approval, and the whole thing is quite pathetic, really. Maybe that makes up for me being so quiet and unassuming IRL, I don't know.... however I feel quite happy posting these .....just because I feel this way about other forum users doesn't mean others do)

I keep telling you, absolutely bananas.

[/B]

NO YOU'RE NOT!! you're human.
smile.gif

Didn't Bono say something recently about shy people being meglomaniacs on the inside. Get out your #1 T-shirt!!
biggrin.gif
I think there's definitely something to that!

Hey, BabyGrace - At first, when I read about not showing poetry to anyone but DreamOutLoud, I thought this was your alter-ego. I soon figured out I was wrong, but for a fleeting moment there....

I confess I have no alternate nickname. Maybe I should get one! I'd probably be more likely to post some things I wouldn't otherwise. Hmmmm.

U2tejas! Kelli! My soulmate! My cyber-doppleganger! MAAAAAAATE!! *big melodramatic HUGS*
biggrin.gif
Wow, I'm not alone... Thanks for saying that, I do feel better knowing I have other bananas for company... er, other humans that is.
Yeah, go for it Dancing! It's very liberating. We should have a whole forum for our alter-egos.. of course until we get too comfortable with them and have to make new ones... they breed like rabbits, those aliases!
smile.gif

Bono's a clever lad... so does that mean he's really shy on the inside?
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom