Adam's Strongest Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa - because of Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay and Some Days (mainly for Lemon - a classic bass line).

Pop's a close second, but the fact that Mofo is a synth line I think knocks it into second place. Still, Do You Feel Loved is a classic.

Speaking as a bass player, I think war will have to take the prize here. It has more out front, memorable bass lines than any other album.
I refer to SBS, NYD,Two hearts, Surrender and 40. The lines really make them songs more so than any work on any other single album. Josh Tree would come close second IMHO

I fail to see the attraction of pop:huh:
War has three U2 ANTHEMS. Pop has....eh......none! In saying that, Please is one of adams best lines of all time.

unfortunately Zoo, the prob with the site is that the bass lines are not completely accurate although you can get a feel for the songs. there also seems to be a bit of artistic freedom exercised by the producer of the files. still intresting tho.

I really didnt like that ATYCLB stuffed Adam as far back into the Mix as possible, especially after his performance on Pop.

Pop and War are definitley his strongest, although Joshua Tree's bassline's are great not due to their complexity, but rather as they suit the anthemic feel to the album. WTSHNN's bassline recently underwent a majorly positive change, which I cant figure out and really fleshes out the song live even more. HTDAAB really shows Adam on top form too, again suiting all the songs perfectly, just a pity ATYCLB didnt show his skillz

I'll go with October. After all, it contains Adam's only bass solo.

gman said:
Speaking as a bass player, I think war will have to take the prize here. It has more out front, memorable bass lines than any other album.
I refer to SBS, NYD,Two hearts, Surrender and 40. The lines really make them songs more so than any work on any other single album. Josh Tree would come close second IMHO

You refer to 40, except Adam has never played bass on that song. Edge recorded both the bass and guitar for that song and has always played the bass part live.

Adam's best stuff is found on the b-sides (Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, Walk To The Water, Endless Deep, etc.)
So this is kind of cheating but it's Disc Two of The Best Of 1980-1990.
But my personal favorite of Adam's is Lemon. Listen to early performances of the song. :wink:

Hornbag said:
I really didnt like that ATYCLB stuffed Adam as far back into the Mix as possible, especially after his performance on Pop.

Pop and War are definitley his strongest, although Joshua Tree's bassline's are great not due to their complexity, but rather as they suit the anthemic feel to the album. WTSHNN's bassline recently underwent a majorly positive change, which I cant figure out and really fleshes out the song live even more. HTDAAB really shows Adam on top form too, again suiting all the songs perfectly, just a pity ATYCLB didnt show his skillz

True, it wasn't until I heard the live versions of ATYCLB's songs, that I could really "flesh out" the lines.

On 2 different bootleg videos I've seen, on live versions of New York, at about the 3:30 till about the 4:10 point, Adam plays this cool bouncy bass line.

I also like how he ad-libs on some of his basslines, nothing drastic, but little changes that improve the song. Like on "One" towards the end, he adds a few slides not on the album version.

"With or Without You" on Popmart Mexico, or that's on the "Please" single, adds to the lines a wee bit.

However now that I've gone back and really listened to his lines, over the past 2 years, I'm noticing things like that.

Maybe Eno doesn't like the bass so 'out there' ? :shrug:

Most named albums listed are Lillywhite produced albums, War, October, Atomic Bomb, as well as mixing "with or Without You" "Streets."

Seems his strongest work is with Lillywhite or Flood.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with COBL_04, Wire is one terrific bass line, one I've never even come close to completing. Even his tone on that song is awesome.

That brings me to another point, as of late, i.e Vertigo Adam's tone has really begun to stand out in the live mix so much more than ever before. He's really taking his playing very seriously these days :wink:

I'd have to vote Pop or HTDAAB. Velvet Dress is sublime. :D

I was so disappointed in ATYCLB, I think a big reason I didn't like the album was because I could barely hear Adam's bass. And I was so happy to hear him back in HTDAAB - Love and Peace Or Else is my favourite track.

I've been learning some JT tracks on bass, I haven't looked up the tab for Pop or Bomb songs yet. I'm not very good, so I think I'm better off sticking with With Or Without You for the moment. ;)
And Exit is still my favourite U2 song ever.

I can't wait to hear him live in November :D (and the rest of the lads, of course!)

Alison
(U2 concert virgin)

Last edited:
My vote goes to POP. He'd even been taking bass lessons at that time to improve his playing.

I agree with LemonMacFisto about Do You Feel Loved :drool:

Screwtape2 said:
It seems like Adam's best bass work comes in moody and lyrically darker songs. ex. Exit, Ultraviolet, LAPOE, UTEOTW, etc.

But his true work will come out when U2 gives into Bono and do a hip-hop album. :wink:

True, the bass in hip hop has much more of a presence in the mix than rock and pop music.

Someone mentioned the B-Sides, I'd like to add 60 seconds in Kingdom Come. The song's as basic as it gets, but I love the mood.

mobvok said:
Someone mentioned the B-Sides, I'd like to add 60 seconds in Kingdom Come. The song's as basic as it gets, but I love the mood.

That was me. I really do think that Best of 1980-1990-The B-Sides is his best album. Take away the cover songs and add 60 Seconds, Race Against Time and Lady With The Spinning Head; you've got half of a two disc Best of Adam Clayton.

Back
Top Bottom