Adam Today: Vertigo Milan Likely Canceled and Popmart DVD in the works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
That's a shame about Milan, because that Chicago DVD is just crap. Popmart though - hell yes.

I wouldn't call it crap , but the outdoor shows are so amazing .
The band always seem confined when there is a roof involved .

CTU2fan said:
This is nothing new...I miss the old U2. Remember real b-sides? Now we get remixes :( Damn

Two reasons for this:

1) Back in the day a typical album was lucky to be 40 minutes long and generally if it had 10 tracks maybe 1 would be over 5 minutes long. Nowadays a typical album is 60 minutes due to a CD's capacity. This results in extra (and/or longer tracks) being put on the album.

2) As a result of the above, we have more tracks being recorded, including B-sides placed on albums that in days gone past would have been on singles. The other result of the CD innovation is that it takes longer to put 1 album together using greater material. This material is obviously then not spread out over further albums thus limiting new albums to an average of maybe 1 per 3 years as opposed to 2 years. So if the record industry had've wakened up and only released new albums with 8-9 songs for 45 minutes long, more albums would be recorded over the longer term. They would still sell the albums at the same price and that is why CD sales are slowing down, because artists aren't recording albums as often.

Hmmm, I think that makes some sense.

Hallucination said:

Really? Why? Why should the rest of the world care where the dvds are filmed. I don't give a crap where they're filmed as long as they're good shows. I live in Canada and it makes no difference to me if the shows are filmed in mexico, Boston, Milan, London, Sydney, Toronto, Hawaii, Rio or whereever. it doesn't matter.

exactly... if the show is good, who in the hell cares if it's filmed in the US or Antarctica.

jeez

U2Man said:
Bah, there's already a splendid fan DVD from Buenos Aires. :madspit:

I bet U2 are just afraid that the Milan DVD will look pale compared to the South American fan DVDs. :tsk:

Well compare how Bono sounds on Miss Sarajevo in Milan compared to B. Aires! His voice in B.Aires pales in comparison to Milan. Really his sound was shot during S.America tour. This is after all a music release...

From Willies Diary:

Milan San Siro Stadium

"We made our plans, constructed our strategy as to how to shoot this thing, then watched the band walk out on stage and do one of the greatest U2 shows I have ever seen. Bono told the audience (in Italian, I might add) \'last night was our first date, tonight \'we make love\', and if a band and their audience ever shagged each other, then this was the night it happened. It was a full on love-fest, they just nailed it, bless \'em".

"You\'ll be able to see it for yourself one day, as the whole thing is committed to digital media for posterity, but of the highlights for me personally, the greatest was Bono putting on a t-shirt thrown to him from the crowd. It was a particularly unfashionable shade of blue, but bore the \'Underground\' logo from London\'s public transport system. I had a little moment, right there in the truck".

"The band did a runner, so afterwards, sitting on boxes with beers, I called Bono to say \'nice one\', to let him know that we had captured the whole spectacular, emotional event".

So i think Milan DVD will be released.

blueskyzg said:
From Willies Diary:

Milan San Siro Stadium

"We made our plans, constructed our strategy as to how to shoot this thing, then watched the band walk out on stage and do one of the greatest U2 shows I have ever seen. Bono told the audience (in Italian, I might add) \'last night was our first date, tonight \'we make love\', and if a band and their audience ever shagged each other, then this was the night it happened. It was a full on love-fest, they just nailed it, bless \'em".

"You\'ll be able to see it for yourself one day, as the whole thing is committed to digital media for posterity, but of the highlights for me personally, the greatest was Bono putting on a t-shirt thrown to him from the crowd. It was a particularly unfashionable shade of blue, but bore the \'Underground\' logo from London\'s public transport system. I had a little moment, right there in the truck".

"The band did a runner, so afterwards, sitting on boxes with beers, I called Bono to say \'nice one\', to let him know that we had captured the whole spectacular, emotional event".

So i think Milan DVD will be released.

The date of info is from 2005 :( Recently Lara (www.u2star.com site admin) received an unexpressive reply from the U2 "fan service" for the Milan DVD petition. Just one annoying line saying "IT WON'T BE RELEASED" :sad:

trabantland said:

1) Back in the day a typical album was lucky to be 40 minutes long and generally if it had 10 tracks maybe 1 would be over 5 minutes long. Nowadays a typical album is 60 minutes due to a CD's capacity. This results in extra (and/or longer tracks) being put on the album.
Hate to rain on your party but R&H aside (which is technically a double album) no U2 CD is anywhere near 60 minutes in length. The reason for U2 giving us only a few proper B sides in the last 10 years is their creative output is less than it used to be. No longer do they have left over songs of the quality of Luminous Times, Walk To The Water etc... so instead they commission studio jocks to create meaningless remixes for us.

AndrewCowley said:
Hate to rain on your party but R&H aside (which is technically a double album) no U2 CD is anywhere near 60 minutes in length. The reason for U2 giving us only a few proper B sides in the last 10 years is their creative output is less than it used to be. No longer do they have left over songs of the quality of Luminous Times, Walk To The Water etc... so instead they commission studio jocks to create meaningless remixes for us.

Wrong.

Achtung Baby: 55 minutes

Pop: 60 minutes

If Milan never gets released, it would be a slight disappointment, but if that's what it takes to get Popmart released on DVD, it's a small price to pay. I mean, honestly, there is nothing that could be on the Milan DVD that would equal the experience of Please live on DVD.

markoajda said:

Well compare how Bono sounds on Miss Sarajevo in Milan compared to B. Aires! His voice in B.Aires pales in comparison to Milan. Really his sound was shot during S.America tour. This is after all a music release...

well once buenos aires is put through the magic hit making production machine, i'm sure they could clean up his voice "issues" quite nicely.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

well once buenos aires is put through the magic hit making production machine, i'm sure they could clean up his voice "issues" quite nicely.

I'm more curious to see what happens when it gets put through the magic 3-D making machine...:hmm: :hyper:

ponkine said:

I'm the first in the list who don't want Popmart Mexico on DVD :(

Damn it, U2 performed MUCH BETTER concerts on that overlooked tour, and there're hours and hours of footage :drool: :drool: :drool:

U2 Popmart Mexico VHS was crap, the concert itself was crap, the reviews were bad and the sales were like s*** ... so why keep doing with that lame show on DVD? :coocoo:

Or is that the producers and engineers don't want to work hard in a previously unreleased concert? :eyebrow: It's a very predictable, comfortable and lazy move to release nothing but previously released VHS. Even a good VHS - DVD transfer can be made by fans !!, so who need those lazy fat people behind U2? :censored:

If I were them, I'd suggest the band to work in something fans have never had before ... but that need work to do, and they don't want to move their asses at all. Just a fairly decent VHS - DVD transfer with a couple of short extras as fish hook and then go for the bucks and disappear

Why not the long awaited Lovetown Tour DVD instead?
Why not an UF Tour DVD instead?
Why not a DVD from the early years 1980 - 1982?
Why not a full Joshua Tree concert DVD?
Why not a Zoo TV 1992 DVD?

Who the hell is the people who work for U2?. Do they have people who suggest them new ideas? :(

and probably the only one, can you point me to a bad reviews?

my guess is you want Popmart from Chile DVD out because Chile has the best crowds:rolleyes:

Why on earth would people want to wait longer for a POPmart dvd?

Dear god i will take:

MOFO
Gone
Last night on earth
Please
Staring at the sun
Discotheque

Anytime over another vertigo dvd. Sure i would love to get Milan but im happy to wait another year for it.

Afterall i have been waiting for 10 years almost for a POPmart dvd and it's about time if you ask me!

And the Best electric Version Ever of One ........ And Terrific versions of Until the End , real Thing , NYD , AIWIY ........

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Mofo said:

and probably the only one, can you point me to a bad reviews?

my guess is you want Popmart from Chile DVD out because Chile has the best crowds:rolleyes:

No, I don't want it because of best crowd :shrug:

Talking about best crowds is matter of fanbase in certain countries: For example, in Argentina the crowd has always been far more enthusiastic with Rolling Stones gigs than U2 ones :| but in Chile is exactly the contrary.

I'm just talking about performance, and it's not my own opinion. Several years ago, on the u2hub (biggest U2 concert archive on the web with thousands of serious U2 collectors) there was an extensive discussion about Best Pop Mart Tour gig. Mexico city wasn't even named !!!! :yes: and Santiago 1998 won :heart: other Top 10 performances (I don't remember all) were Rotterdam 1997, Leeds 1997, Sao Paulo 1998, etc

So I'd love U2 to release any of those top 10 performances instead of the dreadful Mexico City 1997 :banghead: Even the first day (2 December) was better than the night eventually released (3 December). That's reminds me one of the most overrated concerts ever in rock's History:

Queen Live At Wembley 1986. While the first night was warm, exciting and very good despite the rain, the official one (the second) was nothing but CRAP, with Freddie's voice in an annoying shape, and the rest of the band playing flat, tired, uninspired, etc

:reject:

ponkine said:

No, I don't want it because of best crowd :shrug:

Talking about best crowds is matter of fanbase in certain countries: For example, in Argentina the crowd has always been far more enthusiastic with Rolling Stones gigs than U2 ones :| but in Chile is exactly the contrary.

I'm just talking about performance, and it's not my own opinion. Several years ago, on the u2hub (biggest U2 concert archive on the web with thousands of serious U2 collectors) there was an extensive discussion about Best Pop Mart Tour gig. Mexico city wasn't even named !!!! :yes: and Santiago 1998 won :heart: other Top 10 performances (I don't remember all) were Rotterdam 1997, Leeds 1997, Sao Paulo 1998, etc

So I'd love U2 to release any of those top 10 performances instead of the dreadful Mexico City 1997 :banghead: Even the first day (2 December) was better than the night eventually released (3 December). That's reminds me one of the most overrated concerts ever in rock's History:

Queen Live At Wembley 1986. While the first night was warm, exciting and very good despite the rain, the official one (the second) was nothing but CRAP, with Freddie's voice in an annoying shape, and the rest of the band playing flat, tired, uninspired, etc

:reject:

The ONLY thing I will agree on with this post is that Santiago 98 was one of the better Popmart shows and probably is better overall than Mexico City. The rest of the post is the typical :rolleyes: though.

Blue Room said:

The ONLY thing I will agree on with this post is that Santiago 98 was one of the better Popmart shows and probably is better overall than Mexico City. The rest of the post is the typical :rolleyes: though.

I've heard the bootleg and seen a couple of songs on video of Santiago so I really don't go for either although the big highlight in the Santiago concert was Mothers of The Disappeared, but to call Mexico dreadful is beyond me

Having seen the proshots of Santiago & Buenos Aires I'd call both better than Mexico...maybe Johannesburg also. That said, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to call Mexico "dreadful".

But I still can't understand how anybody could see the re-release of Mexico as better than a totally new release (Milan). We have Mexico already, and if you don't like the vhs (understandable), there's an excellent svhs>dvd version out there...and without the annoying editing so prevalent on U2 concert releases.

After all, it's not as if U2 gives us that much bonus material to make the dvd stand out over the vhs or the fanmade boot...

Originally posted by CTU2fan Having seen the proshots of Santiago & Buenos Aires I'd call both better than Mexico...maybe Johannesburg also. That said, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to call Mexico "dreadful".

Johannesburg just sounds tired to me. But Santiago is probably better than Mexico. It doesn't stop Mexico from being awesome tho... All I Want Is You/Never Tear Us Apart and Please are two of U2's finest live moments.

T

CTU2fan said:
But I still can't understand how anybody could see the re-release of Mexico as better than a totally new release (Milan). We have Mexico already, and if you don't like the vhs (understandable), there's an excellent svhs>dvd version out there...and without the annoying editing so prevalent on U2 concert releases.

After all, it's not as if U2 gives us that much bonus material to make the dvd stand out over the vhs or the fanmade boot...

guess it's a matter of opinion between (Milan and Mexico), but I guess the mayority is willing to wait a bit longer for Milan since it's going to be 10 years since Popmart

And we all believe Buenos Aires will be released so we are still getting more Vertigo

Mofo said:

I've heard the bootleg and seen a couple of songs on video of Santiago so I really don't go for either although the big highlight in the Santiago concert was Mothers of The Disappeared, but to call Mexico dreadful is beyond me

Oh, I agree completely. As I said in my post the ONLY thing I agreed on in that post is that Santiago 98 is probably a better overall show. Mexico though is also a great show IMO.

I ask over and over ...... People who don't like mexico's show for example , please just find me any better version of One ............ Just this ....

And try to find at least as good versions of

LNOE .......... NYD ......... AIWIY ........... Mofo

It's a joke to say anything bout the quality of Mexicos gig

ponkine said:

I'm the first in the list who don't want Popmart Mexico on DVD :(

Damn it, U2 performed MUCH BETTER concerts on that overlooked tour, and there're hours and hours of footage :drool: :drool: :drool:

U2 Popmart Mexico VHS was crap, the concert itself was crap, the reviews were bad and the sales were like s*** ... so why keep doing with that lame show on DVD? :coocoo:

Or is that the producers and engineers don't want to work hard in a previously unreleased concert? :eyebrow: It's a very predictable, comfortable and lazy move to release nothing but previously released VHS. Even a good VHS - DVD transfer can be made by fans !!, so who need those lazy fat people behind U2? :censored:

If I were them, I'd suggest the band to work in something fans have never had before ... but that need work to do, and they don't want to move their asses at all. Just a fairly decent VHS - DVD transfer with a couple of short extras as fish hook and then go for the bucks and disappear

Why not the long awaited Lovetown Tour DVD instead?
Why not a Zoo TV 1992 DVD?

Who the hell is the people who work for U2?. Do they have people who suggest them new ideas? :(

I don't care if you're from Chile, you have some serious typos, buddy.

In terms of PopMart...

It was a good show. Different from a good majority of the tour setlist wise, but the Mexico City show that was filmed represented a good 80-85% of what the whole show/concept was about.

There probably was excess footage, but if the show was nominated for a Grammy, it's bound to be a damn good show, and U2 knows that.

But on the otherhand, I have a DVD of the Popmart Santiago shows, and seeing "Bad" performed PopMart style, in G instead of the usual A flat, as well as Mothers of the Disappeared, was a treat. But the cinematography was crap.

Regardless of what we think, unless there's some big petition AGAINST the release of PopMart on DVD, it's going to come out.

As for your other questions....

"Why not the long awaited Lovetown Tour DVD instead?
Why not a Zoo TV 1992 DVD?"

There was no official Lovetown shoot, and no official video from that show. However, the Dublin show from New Year's Eve 1989 was broadcasted on European television. A simple transfer along with a documentary would suffice.

The Joshua Tree Tour was basically documented in Rattle and Hum. However I'm sure that there's plenty of footage left over from the Tempe show in December 1987 where all of the color footage from Rattle and Hum was shot. But this wouldn't take priority over say getting newer shows on DVD- they'll probably release some sort of DVD box set by the end of the decade, who knows with U2? Who knew about Zoo TV on DVD?

As far as a Zoo TV show pre-Macphisto/Zooropa/Zoomerang/Zoo TV New Zooland/Zoo TV Japan, a tv special was filmed for Fox TV in the US. I think the epitome of Zoo Tv was in the strong performances of the Zooropa/Zoomerang/Zoo TV New Zooland/Zoo TV Japan shows. The Mirrorball Man seems like a bit of a wank when compared to Mr. Macphisto, anyway.

Plus we got the bit of Zoo Tv '92 that we missed with the bonus features of the DVD.

As for the early years, besides the Boston show in '81, I'm not sure if there's even footage (film) of many early shows.

But all in all I'm hoping that there will be some sweet bonus features for PopMart.

ElevateMyMind04 said:

There was no official Lovetown shoot, and no official video from that show. However, the Dublin show from New Year's Eve 1989 was broadcasted on European television. A simple transfer along with a documentary would suffice.

Well, not exactly correct. The Dublin New Years show was broadcast on the radio, but only Streets and part of I Will Follow were ever broadcast on TV and that was at a later time. The whole show was filmed though but not in suitable quality or production for an official DVD.

They actually did full production filming of the November 1989 Sydney shows including Nov 18th which is one of the best U2 shows ever IMO. Its what they used for the Lovetown Documentary. So that is something they could use if they wanted to do an official Lovetown DVD. They wont, as much as the fans loved Lovetown, the band did not.

ElevateMyMind04 said:

I don't care if you're from Chile, you have some serious typos, buddy.

In terms of PopMart...

It was a good show. Different from a good majority of the tour setlist wise, but the Mexico City show that was filmed represented a good 80-85% of what the whole show/concept was about.

There probably was excess footage, but if the show was nominated for a Grammy, it's bound to be a damn good show, and U2 knows that.

But on the otherhand, I have a DVD of the Popmart Santiago shows, and seeing "Bad" performed PopMart style, in G instead of the usual A flat, as well as Mothers of the Disappeared, was a treat. But the cinematography was crap.

Regardless of what we think, unless there's some big petition AGAINST the release of PopMart on DVD, it's going to come out.

The Joshua Tree Tour was basically documented in Rattle and Hum. However I'm sure that there's plenty of footage left over from the Tempe show in December 1987 where all of the color footage from Rattle and Hum was shot. But this wouldn't take priority over say getting newer shows on DVD- they'll probably release some sort of DVD box set by the end of the decade, who knows with U2? Who knew about Zoo TV on DVD?

As far as a Zoo TV show pre-Macphisto/Zooropa/Zoomerang/Zoo TV New Zooland/Zoo TV Japan, a tv special was filmed for Fox TV in the US. I think the epitome of Zoo Tv was in the strong performances of the Zooropa/Zoomerang/Zoo TV New Zooland/Zoo TV Japan shows. The Mirrorball Man seems like a bit of a wank when compared to Mr. Macphisto, anyway.

Plus we got the bit of Zoo Tv '92 that we missed with the bonus features of the DVD.

As for the early years, besides the Boston show in '81, I'm not sure if there's even footage (film) of many early shows.

But all in all I'm hoping that there will be some sweet bonus features for PopMart.

OK...

First of all, there are many people here who would tell you '92 ZooTV was better with Desire and Ultraviolet and Mirrorball Man. Many like him better, but you're acting like cause you like MacPhisto better, no one must like Mirrorball Man. Wrong. And we didn't get the only "bit" of 92 ZooTV. That would have been like this:

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Bad
Desire
Ultraviolet
With or Without You/Shine Like Stars

Second, there was, if I recall, a LoveTown shoot of some sort in Sydney in '89 (pretty sure it's Sydney, but somewhere in the Pacific for sure). I've seen the performance of Hawkmoon 269 from that show. :drool:

Joshua Tree was much more than R&H showed.

phillyfan26 said:
Second, there was, if I recall, a LoveTown shoot of some sort in Sydney in '89 (pretty sure it's Sydney, but somewhere in the Pacific for sure). I've seen the performance of Hawkmoon 269 from that show. :drool:

That would be the 18 November 1989, Sydney show that Blue Room mentioned. I think the 17 and 19 November 1989 shows in Sydney were also professionally filmed.

A Lovetown DVD wouldn't be hard to make. But hey, it won't sell like a lame Best Of compilation will! :happy:

Axver said:

That would be the 18 November 1989, Sydney show that Blue Room mentioned. I think the 17 and 19 November 1989 shows in Sydney were also professionally filmed.

A Lovetown DVD wouldn't be hard to make. But hey, it won't sell like a lame Best Of compilation will! :happy:

I believe any great live of u2 could sell like a monster

Wouldn't be different with Lovetown

After all a full live 80's U2 Dvd , u sure it wouldn't be a best seller ?

Back
Top Bottom