Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul MacGuinness told Billboard in 2007 or 2008 that the entire U2 catalog was getting the remastered/deluxe treatment, so Pop will indeed come out. I doubt the various Best Of albums will get deluxe treatment, but may also be replaced bt remastered versions down the road. I'm unsure about Original Soundtracks 1 as well. I supsect it will get at least a remastered CD, but maybe nothing in deluxe format, though they could include it with with a deluxe edition of Pop, as there was some overlapping of those projects.

I guess all the pre Pop material (like Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM singles) will be somewhere on Pop deluxe edition

Once again, Pop has the POTENTIAL to be a great, great box :up:

- Single versions that were actually better than album ones
- Early versions of Pop songs and radically different arrangements on demos, outtakes, etc
- Documentaries never released on DVD, like A Year in Pop, Working in The Popmart, etc
- Complete pro shot concerts that remain unreleased, arguably better than Mexico 1997

But I'm afraid in the end we'll get more of the same previously released stuff, just like Sydney on this AB boxset

CD3 - Uber Remixes

01. Night and Day (Steel string remix)
02. Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
03. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Extended Club Mix)
04. Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
05. Can’t help falling in love (Triple peaks Remix)
06. Lady with the spinning head (extended Dance remix)
07. Real Thing (V16 Exit Wound Remix)
08. Mysterious Ways (Ultimatum Mix)
09. The Lounge fly mix
10. Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Remix)
11. One (Apollo 440) – Mix Master [S-109]

CD4 - Unter Remixes

01. Mysterious Ways (Tabla Motown Remix)
02. Mysterious Ways (Appollo 440 Magic Hour Remix)
03. Can’t help Falling in Love (Mystery Train Dub)
04. One (Apollo 440) – Ambient Master [S-109]
05. Lemon (Momo’s Reprise)
06. Salome (Zooromancer Remix)
07. Real Thing (Trance Mix)
08. Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix)
09. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Magic hour Remix)
10. Numb (The Soul Assassins Mix)
11. Real Thing (Apollo 440 Stealth Sonic Remix)

Of these discs I only see three tracks that are commercially unreleased. The two One remixes and the Mystery Train Dub. Which is on some promos.

My fav of all of these tracks are the MW Magic Hour remix and Triple Peaks remix of Can't Help Fallin in Love.

i don't remember the lemon momo's reprise

Calling all U2 experts:

What material from AB and Zooropa is missing? (let's name B-sides, promos, videos, documentaries made at the time, etc, etc) :wave:

I'd start with

ZOO TV OUTSIDE BROADCAST SPECIAL. Never released on DVD

Off the top of my head, a lot of ZOOROPA stuff:
1. Wanderer (Bono version--everyone talks about this but I don't know if it really exists)
2. Slow Dancing (Stay B-side)
3. I've Got You Under My Skin (double-A-side with Stay)
4. Stay (Underdog Mix)
5. Stay (soundtrack version)
6. Wanderer (soundtrack version)
7. Lemon Oakenfold mixes
8. Bullet the Blue Sky live in Dublin (Stay b-side)
9. Love is Blindness live in NY (Stay b-side)

Calling all U2 experts:

What material from AB and Zooropa is missing? (let's name B-sides, promos, videos, documentaries made at the time, etc, etc) :wave:

I'd start with

I'll put together a list. Off the top of my head, some remixes are missing, but more importantly, 2 live recordings are missing and the sountrack version of Until The End Of The World.

There was a live version of Satellite Of Love from the Irving, Texas show that was released on a compilation album called Peace Together.

There was also a live version of Until The End of The World from the November 1992 San Diego, CA show included on a compilation CD in 1994 called Alternative NRG.

The soundtrack of Until The End Of The World includes a different version of the title song. It's missing the distorted guitar intro and instead features a couple seconds of studio noise before the band launches into the song.

From Zooropa, the Faraway, So Close! sountrack versions of Stay and The Wanderer are missing.

Calling all U2 experts:

I'd start with

will they have the old mysterious ways or the newer one (best of)....it had one different line.

also the daddy's gonna pay perfecto mix

I'll put together a list. Off the top of my head, some remixes are missing, but more importantly, 2 live recordings are missing and the sountrack version of Until The End Of The World.

There was a live version of Satellite Of Love from the Irving, Texas show that was released on a compilation album called Peace Together.

There was also a live version of Until The End of The World from the November 1992 San Diego, CA show included on a compilation CD in 1994 called Alternative NRG.

The soundtrack of Until The End Of The World includes a different version of the title song. It's missing the distorted guitar intro and instead features a couple seconds of studio noise before the band launches into the song.

Those were from that era, but don't really fit in with the box set, artistically speaking. Most of the AB material was studio based. Remember, studio as an instrument.

me thinks the zooropa bonus stuff will be on a later relea$e.

all zooropa would need is a two disk set. second disk being a couple of the mandatory remixes and the lot of sides.

Those were from that era, but don't really fit in with the box set, artistically speaking. Most of the AB material was studio based. Remember, studio as an instrument.

Yes, but they are including the Sydney DVD for the sake of trying to be "complete". That, at least, is the non synical take on why it's included, so they could also throw on a couple of live tracks from the tour, that very few U2 fans already own. They included live Bsides on previous deluxe editions, so this would be keeping it in line with those.

The real question I would like to know is whether these six new recordings from the AB era are re-worked in 2011. Some of the War touch ups were a bit of a disaster IMHO.

Possibly the UTEOTW version from the Wenders movie is the 'Baby' version.

It would be great if they 'finsihed' PoP and then put out the finished edition.

Off the top of my head, a lot of ZOOROPA stuff:
1. Wanderer (Bono version--everyone talks about this but I don't know if it really exists)
2. Slow Dancing (Stay B-side)
3. I've Got You Under My Skin (double-A-side with Stay)
4. Stay (Underdog Mix)
5. Stay (soundtrack version)
6. Wanderer (soundtrack version)
7. Lemon Oakenfold mixes
8. Bullet the Blue Sky live in Dublin (Stay b-side)
9. Love is Blindness live in NY (Stay b-side)

I have some of the Zooropa era promos that include the title edited, Numb In Cold Blood Remix and Lemonade remixes. (Which are just bizarre)

The real question I would like to know is whether these six new recordings from the AB era are re-worked in 2011. Some of the War touch ups were a bit of a disaster IMHO.

looking at the way the titles of the unreleased are displayed, i would say no

02. Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711
07. Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 211711
08. Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711 (needs an edit)
09. Near the Island (instr) Night train from Rostock.
10. Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)
15. Everybody loves a winner edit between take 2+3

you see how some of them say (needs an edit), analogue mix, and version one? (also take 2+3) that to me says not really messed with. maybe the heaven and hell has been? no way if they had worked on the song would it be an analogue mix. (IMO)

Zooropa is definitely getting the short shrift...hardly any of its B-sides are seeing the light of day in this boxed set. Of course, there's always the chance that we'll see a Zooropa Deluxe Edition, but I have my doubts given that the Super Deluxe Edition of this Achtung Baby set currently has a track list that includes a few Zooropa B-sides. If we don't see a single disc release of the remastered Zooropa arrive this fall, then I guess we can count on a future set. It doesn't really need a lavish box as fans would pay the $20 or whatever on Amazon for a two disc set that included a bunch of extra material that wasn't on the AB Super Deluxe set.

Pop will see the light of day next year as it's the 15th Anniversary, I'm sure. Would make sense to include the remastered Passengers as a bonus. I think a four CD set featuring a bonus disc each of Pop outtakes/b-sides and Passengers outtakes-b-sides would suffice.

2013 will be the 25th Anniversary of Rattle & Hum. I'd expect a Super Deluxe set to include a DVD featuring a wealth of visual material from the period (such as the concert special and film outtakes) along with a disc of bonus material.

2014 is the 10th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb. 2015 is the 15th Anniversary of All That You Can't Leave Behind. Just sayin' :cute:

just how many remixes can one have of Mysterious Ways????

Eight. This only has six. We're getting off easy.

It could be worse. We could have been saddled with all 19,845 remixes of Lemon. (Here's the Momo's Bad Yard Club Lemonade Dub Mix! Here's the Oakenfold Perfecto Trance Mix!)

Another maybe stupid observation - but nowhere does it say this is remastered. Is this just an anniversary edition and not the remastered version? Anyone????

i only count 4 remixes...should we consider those b-sides? i don't.

They were B-sides...not great B-sides, but B-sides nonetheless. I too believe that Zooropa is getting the shaft on this release, but Achtung and Zooropa are practically A/B of the same period, so I'm not complaining. Mostly because I would hate to see a $1,000 Super Deluxe Ultra Uber Box Set with 108 different versions of "If God Will Send His Angels."

Nowhere on the U2.com site or the universal music site does it say anything about it being remastered!!

Dude. You actually have a point.

Damn. Not Universal, nor Amazon, nor U2.com actually uses the word remastered. Nowhere does it say the audio is remastered... :huh:

Universal:
The limited numbered Uber Deluxe Box Set contains:
• Gatefold wallet containing 6 CD audio discs
[..]
including the original Achtung Baby album, the follow-up album, Zooropa
[..]
CD1 - Achtung Baby
[..]

Amazon:
Achtung Baby (20th Anniversary Über Deluxe Box Set) [Box set]
U2 | Format: Audio CD

Audio CD (31 Oct 2011)
Number of Discs: 15
Format: Box set
Label: Mercury
ASIN: B005FVA63A

U2.com
Achtung Baby turns twenty in November with an anniversary edition featuring previously unreleased songs and new documentary set for release.
In 2011, an anniversary edition of Achtung Baby, now all grown up, is due for release on October 31st.

I've been going crazy all morning trying to figure it out....but I really don't think this is even a remastered version in this set!!! If you look at the lowest $$ version it say "original cd"!

If the albums aren't remastered then the boxset really falls into crap category. They would use 3 discs (2 CD, AB & Zooropa + Sydney DVD) to copy/paste material we already own

But wait. This is on the achtung baby u2.com site.

4. The Deluxe Edition is a 2xCD set containing the reissue of the original album plus B-sides and rarities.
Pre-order: [UK | US]

5. The Standard CD is the original album.
Pre-order: [UK | US]

There it states reissue. So is it a remaster or not. I really don't know. Going to ask U2.com I guess.

Yeah - I think they definitely need to clarify whether or not this includes the remastered edition. Or if the remaster is going to be released somewhere down the road. I know when I first saw this item I automatically assumed it was the remastered, but after reading over and over again.....

I'll be glad to know for sure one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom