Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i for one am so happy that all six of the unreleased songs stayed on disk 5. a part of me was somewhat concerned that some of them would be taken away.

I wonder if this was made by Bono after the "captured moment" to kind of sort out the song structure?

The chords for One came out of a song called 'Sick Puppy'. It was like the second bridge that they were experimenting with, then Bono got the idea for ONE.

So I would think that if this was an early version of ONE, it had be at least after the "Sick Puppy" discovery.

Could you tell us what it had to say about the unreleased songs on disk 5 please?

:hyper:

''But the real buried treasure here comes with the ultra -rare album- session offcuts, most previously unavailable except as bootlegs or fanclub-only exclusives. These include ''Heaven and Hell'', a noir-ish doowoop lullaby sung in Bono's Sam Cooke-like falsetto, the Eno-esque ambient instrumental ''Near the Island'', and doleful word-painting ''Oh Berlin'', which namechecks fellow born-again Berliners Bowie, Iggy and Lou Reed. Quality gear, adding depth and soul to the project''.
The review is by Stephen Dalton and he awards the anniversary edition with 4 out of 5 stars.

The chords for One came out of a song called 'Sick Puppy'. It was like the second bridge that they were experimenting with, then Bono got the idea for ONE.

So I would think that if this was an early version of ONE, it had be at least after the "Sick Puppy" discovery.

i knew it came out of mysterious ways, I am just hoping that it isn't a recent acoustic number from Bono.

''But the real buried treasure here comes with the ultra -rare album- session offcuts, most previously unavailable except as bootlegs or fanclub-only exclusives. These include ''Heaven and Hell'', a noir-ish doowoop lullaby sung in Bono's Sam Cooke-like falsetto, the Eno-esque ambient instrumental ''Near the Island'', and doleful word-painting ''Oh Berlin'', which namechecks fellow born-again Berliners Bowie, Iggy and Lou Reed. Quality gear, adding depth and soul to the project''.
The review is by Stephen Dalton and he awards the anniversary edition with 4 out of 5 stars.

thanks much :up:

I have no idea what to order due to the tracklisting confusion and whether it even be available! :hmm:

These include ''Heaven and Hell'', a noir-ish doowoop lullaby sung in Bono's Sam Cooke-like falsetto

the Eno-esque ambient instrumental ''Near the Island'', and doleful word-painting

and doleful word-painting ''Oh Berlin'', which namechecks fellow born-again Berliners Bowie, Iggy and Lou Reed.

These are just my opinions and guesses mixed in with a couple of facts :wink:

1. Heaven and Hell-we have all heard this but I don't remember any attempt at a falsetto. a different version of the song perhaps? :up:

2. Near the Island - after thinking about the instrumentals...I don't know if any if them are 'eno-esque'. Montgomery's visit, aka going down south depending on who you talk to, sounds more like a Lanois inspired jam. Take today sounds too organic to be Eno (its early North and South anyway) Is it an instrumental of Back Mask?

I just found this and Montgomery's visit is so this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc1gh7RmwQo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otj-dl_TzXA

3. Oh Berlin - the lyric is def something we haven't heard. the song probably is something we haven't heard either. :up:

Last edited:

4 out of 5 for what most fans and many critics call U2's greatest works and one of the most defining albums of the last decades? Come on, it must be sooo hard for some journalists to say anything positive about that band :|

Apart from that I decided not to order any of the editions until it's really clear what will be included in the individual editions. Right now, it's pure chaos.

I bet a poll on Interference would give this release a lower score than 4/5, regardless of what it deserves.

Hmmmmm. So U2.com has updated their listing and still no mention of a remaster. What a surprise. :)

Realistically no record company in 2011 will miss the chance to "brickwall" their sound. Thus it will be remastered. No doubt about that. And even remastering from the original master tapes won't have big positive effects on the sound anymore because you can bet that at least after their movie u2 got the best recording and mastering equipment at that time und CD mastering got very common by then. There will not be any improved sound by better A/D conversion anymore that wouldn't be at least compensated by the loss of dynamics through "modern mastering techniques".

I don't know your remastering expectations but I wouldn't hold my breath for big "improvements" for Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop and the others. CD mastering was quite good by then (without those cold, thinny sounds of former releases) and probably better than it is now. And many people here obviously hope to get things out of plain remastering that would require a full new mix from the multitrack tapes (better separation between instruments, cleaner, less muddy sound and so on).

I am looking forward to the super deluxe bundle anyway (CD 5+6). Be it remastered or not. I don't even know what to prefer. "Improved sound through remastering" shouldn't be the main reason for buying this and future editions anymore. This goal isn't realistic because of their use of great equipment at that time.

Only 4 out of 5??

Clearly the man should be shot, hung and then drawn & quartered.

Why?

People here and from other forums often misinterpret reviews. Even reviewers themselves!

When someone is giving AN ALBUM review, then fine. He can write whatever he wants and put whatever rating he might like. In that context, yes AB is a 5 star album, no doubt

But when someone is giving A REISSUE review, then the review should be written about THE REISSUE contents, mastering, packaging, etc. In that context a 5 star album might have a 1 star re-issue review

I can think of many great albums with poor remastering/reissues. Who's Live At Leeds comes to mind right now

Even Dark Side of The Moon 'Immersion' box is getting a lot of criticism among fans due its horrendous packaging (4 discs out of 6 comes with no protection at all!)

If AB box is plenty of crappy remixes and Zoo TV Sydney on DVD then is no more than 2 starts-worth

These are just my opinions and guesses mixed in with a couple of facts :wink:

1. Heaven and Hell-we have all heard this but I don't remember any attempt at a falsetto. a different version of the song perhaps? :up:

2. Near the Island - after thinking about the instrumentals...I don't know if any if them are 'eno-esque'. Montgomery's visit, aka going down south depending on who you talk to, sounds more like a Lanois inspired jam. Take today sounds too organic to be Eno (its early North and South anyway) Is it an instrumental of Back Mask?

I just found this and Montgomery's visit is so this

U2 "TRYIN' TO THROW YOUR ARMS AROUND THE WORLD" from THE COMPLETE HANSA TON ... (audio only) - YouTube

U2 - Montgomery's Visit - YouTube

3. Oh Berlin - the lyric is def something we haven't heard. the song probably is something we haven't heard either. :up:

I would "guess" that all of the unreleased new tracks are going to be some type of progression from the Berlin sessions and therefore at least a little bit different than the Hansa bootleg and/or something we have never heard before. Down All The Days supposedly morphed into Numb, so that will be new but probably have some similiarities to Numb, I would guess the guitar.

Still also looking forward to the now "Kindergarten" disc. Will be an interesting listen for sure as well.

I bet a poll on Interference would give this release a lower score than 4/5, regardless of what it deserves.

I'd give it a 4/5 solely because 5/5 is perfect, and this reissue has the Sydney DVD on it. So that costs it the point. It's still near perfect though.

Down All The Days supposedly morphed into Numb, so that will be new but probably have some similiarities to Numb, I would guess the guitar.

yeah- i really want to hear down all the days because Bono and Lanois got into a fight over the song. Bono came in to record and Lanois was working on the song. Bono didn't like the direction Danny was taking it and said he wasn't getting it. Bono and Danny had a shouting match (flanigan's book). From what I recall, numb and DATD had the same backing track.

going to be quite cool.

Some fans are going to be offended by this release. Their are audio snobs who will fee that the security blanket offered by superior audio has been taken away from them so they are exposed naked.

I am sure U2 will bore the brunt of scorn, but I still love em.

Have they brickwalled the other remasters?

They are not fully bricked in comparioson to many, many other releases, but every volume increase means a certain loss of dynamic range. If there is no relative silence, then there is no real loudness in contrast. In modern mastering techniques they zoom up the silent parts, making everything louder overall but losing the silent vs. loud dynamics.

Bob Ludwig totally "bricked" the latest Nirvana and Pearl Jam releases and we can be glad that he isn't involved with the U2 stuff. But all U2 remasters are "louder" than their originals, that's for sure.

ponkine said:
Why?

People here and from other forums often misinterpret reviews. Even reviewers themselves!

When someone is giving AN ALBUM review, then fine. He can write whatever he wants and put whatever rating he might like. In that context, yes AB is a 5 star album, no doubt

But when someone is giving A REISSUE review, then the review should be written about THE REISSUE contents, mastering, packaging, etc. In that context a 5 star album might have a 1 star re-issue review

I can think of many great albums with poor remastering/reissues. Who's Live At Leeds comes to mind right now

Even Dark Side of The Moon 'Immersion' box is getting a lot of criticism among fans due its horrendous packaging (4 discs out of 6 comes with no protection at all!)

If AB box is plenty of crappy remixes and Zoo TV Sydney on DVD then is no more than 2 starts-worth

I read the review today and the reviewer is defo reviewing the album itself and not the remaster.he goes on to say achtung baby isnt as good as nirvanas nevermind or primal screams screamadleica.

Someone I know heard the Kindergarten disc and I was told that Love Is Blindness is a blistering 7 minute version. That alone go me fired up. I know I'm excited at the idea of alternate versions of Ultraviolet, Acrobat and End of the World. The idea of them covering Linda Rondstat's "Everybody Loves A Winner" is weird on paper but could sound great. We'll see soon.

The idea of them covering Linda Rondstat's "Everybody Loves A Winner" is weird on paper but could sound great. We'll see soon.

did your friend say this was a cover of that song? odd thing to have during a recording session for a new album right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom