A Thread About Girls (HBO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She seemed a little more racially naive than would be plausible, I think.

That said, the show does zip along and delivers several memorable one-liners per episode.

Hannah is finally getting on my nerves. Before it was Jessa who annoyed me, but now its both.

But I find it amusing to watch Hannah pay for being a pain in the ass.

original.jpg

I watched that movie Tiny Furniture this weekend. Now I get all the jokes in the show about her writing going nowhere.

i thought this was interesting:

22 Jan 2013 02:02 PM
The Meaning Of Girls

Michael Brendan Dougherty contemplates the hit series:

The oddest thing about the show is that these girls are fascinated–that really is the right word here–by men who have so few qualities. And the fate of these girls is to continue these confusing sexual relationships with badly damaged men, where pantomimed rape fantasies are a feature and a bug, for perhaps a decade. Only then it may become permissible for their social set to start thinking of marriage.

Perhaps I underestimate the trials of my more suburban, married existence in comparison to those of my Brooklyn friends and their stand-ins on this drama. But for a show with the tone of wild celebration in self-discovery, enabled by so much social capital, the ambitions and possibilities for these Girls seem so small and sad, and their 20s seem tragic.

So few qualities in the men? Have you seen Adam with his shirt off? Have you never fantasized about fucking a carpenter with sawdust under his fingernails just after he fixed your creaking door? (#SullyTMI: I pulled that one off in real life in 1989.) As for the girls' lives appearing sad, I think my favorite moment ever on the first season (at the very end) was the unexpected but deeply happy grin from Hannah after her alley showdown with Adam. She's sitting in the middle seat in the back of a cab next to Adam, her distant yet irresisitible love/sex-interest, with his fricking bike on her lap. Yes, that's being in your twenties.

As far as I'm concerned, Dunham's as brilliant an actress as she is pioneering as a writer (a kind of Judd Apatow with balls and more intelligence). But I may be biased here. I must confess to a real admiration for Millennials - and this series lingers over their idiosyncrasies like a Planet Earth for Brooklynites and their ilk. They seem to me to be the most honest generation in a long time, realistic without excessive cynicism, ironic while retaining unironic experiences to be ironic about, sexually alive in ways that enrich life, rather than depress it. Some of the sex is a little graphic and a little funny. But that's what sex is: often deeply awkward and hilarious, when it isn't the most amazing thing you can ever experience. Thank God for a generation able to tell the truth about it - and so well.

TNC is much more positive than Dougherty. Here's his follow up on the series' awesome sex scenes:

What Girls says is "Fuck the gaze." Lena Dunham ain't really performing for you. She's saying people like me--which is most of you--like to fuck. And in a real narrative of real life, the people who do most of the fucking don't actually look like Victoria Secret models. Your expectations for what fucking should look like are irrelevant. Here is how it looks like to the narrator. I kind of love that. In this (perhaps limited) sense, I can understand the "For Us, By Us" acclaim.

The show's disregard for male notions of sex is pretty profound. And it achieves this while still giving us a fairly interesting cast of male characters.

I would say it often embraces the male notions of sex and throws them back at the less mature gender (which makes the series kinda gay in the best way). Watching Hannah watch Adam jerk off in bed in front of her is something I didn't expect to see on TV (and more disturbing than the high camp of American Horror Story). But I bet you it's happened. Just as surely as I bet you it doesn't mean the end of civilization.

The Meaning Of <i>Girls</i> - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

i think i might have said somewhere that the sex scenes in Girls makes me glad to be a homo, and i still feel that way. but, gosh, it's the most interesting heterosexual sex i've seen on TV.

"It's Hannah's world and we're just in it. It's all Hannah, Hannah, Hannah!"

Quote of the entire season, methinks.

Most fun episode ever?

WE ARE THE SEXIEST PEOPLE HERE.

Let's punch someone who's been on a Disney show.

And how Zoo TV was Book's art project?

I had Barely Breathing stuck in my head as I went to sleep. Not okay.

This may be the first episode where I've actively hated Hannah. I just wanted to punch both of them.

Pretty weak episode I thought. For the first time it just felt by the numbers, like they were checking off obligatory boxes for a Girls episode

- drugs
- clubbing
- Lena Dunham's breasts
- awkward sex
- Hannah making every situation all about herself

(yes I realize that the above mentioned are all part of being a 20something, but it still felt perfunctory)

Actually Jessa probably got the biggest laugh from me during the minute she was on screen. Her snarky 'You're well-come!' to the girl at the yard sale was delivered with precision bitchiness.

It looks like Elijah is off the show? Hopefully not, Andrew Rannells has been the best thing about the second season.

The final scene of the new episode is one of my favorites of the series.

Watching this show makes me dread that I was ever that self-absorbed and stupid in my early 20s. I probably wasn't. I'm starting to love to hate this show.

I hope Jessa finally learns from this and grows up. She needs to.

LOVE how Oasis was played at the end. "Cuz maybe...you're going to be the one that saves me...and afterall...you're my wonderwall."

It was nice to see many of them finally realize what huge pieces of shit they are.

I think I just feel how everyone feels which is I have three or four really great folk albums in me.

The way it cut back to the party and for that to be the very first line of the ongoing conversation we missed was fantastic.

Petty thing to complain about, but Scottish guy's American accent is really bad.

Lena is a pretty sharp gal, she has looked good at recent award shows and is having pretty good success

of the 4 characters she has written for her show girls, 2 of them are pigs, that i would not want to be around and the other two are similar to women I have known in the past and enjoyed hanging out with.
Yes, life is difficult but Hannah and Jessa, as written and depicted, are really just disgusting. And I have very low standards.

Nothing bundt trouble

Ray was actually kind of sympathetic for once. Charlie is becoming a bit of a whiny bitch tho. I thought it was pretty weak for Marnie to dump him for being 'too nice,' but maybe she was onto something. All that neediness, later for that.

Back
Top Bottom