A Sort Of Homecoming Not Played Live Because Of Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chill Mike D

War Child
I was listening to this Youtube clip and I glanced at the comments:

how did this song miss the Greatest Hits album??

Your guess is as good as mine. This song deserves a place on their Greatest Hits album no doubt about that. You may already know, but the last time U2 performed this live it all went a bit pear shaped...Bono swore from that moment on he would NEVER perform this song again. That was 2001. 9 years later and he's stuck to his promise. He said this is one of his most hated U2 songs... which is a great shame.

Well halfway through the song Bono forgot the lyrics...apparently he just stood there spluttering random words while The Edge, Larry and Adam continued playing. Apparently The Edge and Bono had a right tantrum and said there and then on the stage that from that moment foward, even if a fan asked them to, they would never perform that song again. And indeed they never have since.

Is that true? Is there video of them playing it during the Elevation tour?

I thought a fan had been brought onstage to play, and the fan started playing ASOH, and the band (or at least Bono and Edge) started picking it up and they made their way through the song.

Maybe a little awkwardly, but I don't think there were any tantrums.

i wouldn't read to much into 'em. that spontaneous elevation tour performance (with the fan) was indeed pretty shambolic, but cori's right there weren't any tantrums thrown by any of the band members

Maybe the commenter was thinking of Edge's guitar-kicking shenanigans after Gone on the Boston DVD and crossed the two songs in his mind. That's the only sort of "tantrum" I can think of!

sounds like a pretty stubborn, stupid reason.

would be behind only Running to Stand Still and Bad for a song i'd love to hear performed live.

ASOH was done twice on the Elevation Tour. The first was 25 August 2001 at the first Slane gig; the band had planned to play it beforehand, but Bono clearly didn't rehearse it and completely flubbed it. The second performance was on 16 October 2001 in Oakland, which is the performance previously mentioned where a fan was pulled on stage and began playing it. Bono stumbled through it, I think with some good humour.

Neither performance was followed by a tantrum, nor has Bono slagged off the song, though I reckon he was pretty embarrassed that he royally fucked the song up in front of so many people at such a special location as Slane. He may not be too keen to revisit the song because of that awkward memory more than anything else.

...also, Magnificent is reminiscent of ASOH, that was another reason (other than it being one of my favorite songs, and the rarity of it live) I really wanted to see it played last year. And with all the revisiting of TUF it was too bad we didn't get ASOH or many performances of Bad.

Even if Bono does hate it, things change, and the song may make a comeback.

I'm speaking from my own experience here in that I am a songwriter, and I have well over 100 songs, and that sometimes there's songs that fall into the background for a while and I forget about them, but then I eventually get into them and love them again.

Might be the case with Bono and ASOH, and so hopefully the song will make a comeback one day.

...also, Magnificent is reminiscent of ASOH, that was another reason (other than it being one of my favorite songs, and the rarity of it live) I really wanted to see it played last year. And with all the revisiting of TUF it was too bad we didn't get ASOH or many performances of Bad.

Yes, exactly!!

I am hoping, given the fact that we have 2 maybe 3 legs of 360 left, that U2 decide to keep doing some TUF and give us Wire, ASOH and Bad a bit more often than the first 2 legs.

The reason the band don't play the song is because it's my favorite.

40+ shows and counting without hearing that mambo jambo.

In case you are wondering, yes, I said "mambo jambo".

Well, you'll have to sit down in the middle of the floor next time you see U2, just to express your displeasure :yes:

I'm always in seats, they'll never see my sit-in, unless they use binoculars.

And, I am not displeased, as it turns out, just stating the sad facts so interlanders understand why ASOH does not get played. They have a right to know.

Love the band, feel lucky to have seen them as often as I have, etc.

I'm always in seats, they'll never see my sit-in, unless they use binoculars.

And, I am not displeased, as it turns out, just stating the sad facts so interlanders understand why ASOH does not get played. They have a right to know.

Love the band, feel lucky to have seen them as often as I have, etc.

You f-ing Bastard.

"A sort of homecoming" is one of my favourite U2 songs, and I'm really sad if fact that Bono hates this song is true.:sad:

To say about Youtube comments, sometimes they can really be wrong.

To say about Youtube comments, sometimes they can really be wrong.

Interference posts too. Pretty much everything in WTAHAN is proof enough of that.

However, "post on Blue Crack, break Bono's back" was, sadly, quite true.

loved hearing that..thanks. Was that the last time it was performed live? (minus the forced fan performance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom