5 - # of Straya threads or # of times Melbourne has been crowned world's best city

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been watching the Soundwave shitstorm. I don't personally care but it sucks for fans of that genre.

In a way this feels kind of inevitable. AJ Maddah has the sort of persona where it always felt like something could come off the rails. The guy seems to have had increasing difficulties the last couple of years and it sounds like it's all coming to a head.

We're going to see a music festival a year die at this point.

At the current rate it's more like one a month dying already!

I'm slightly worried about how Sugar Mountain has discounted its tickets for two weeks, ostensibly as a Christmas promo. You don't do that unless tickets are moving too slowly.

(I'm also pissed off because I paid full price the day they went on sale.)

And it's official: Soundwave is cancelled.

Feels like an end of an era, because AJ has already said there won't be a 2017 edition, the tone of his tweets implies he's had enough, and it's hard to imagine it coming back from this. I actually only ever went to one Soundwave, but I relied on it for a good selection of sideshows every year. I'll miss it. The massive touring festivals seem to have had their day. I think Laneway and Groovin' the Moo are the only national touring festivals left? They have very solid demographics and demand and I can't imagine them going away... that said, I would've said the same of Soundwave.

I'll get into the substance of that when I have a spare few minutes, but just as an aside, Adblock (and you better believe I use Adblock) informed me that it just blocked 101 pieces of advertising on that page of the Age website.

Good grief that's ridiculous.

I can't even imagine the Internet without Adblock. People who don't use it confuse me.

Friggin' Cobbler too friggin' slow. :tongue:

So it looks like the Westfest promoters in New Zealand were right with that recent tweet that got them into hot water about Soundwave being on the rocks. Looks like AJ is already engaging in some tit-for-tat with the ticketing companies involved. I expect some hilarious angry tweets...

I'm no expert, but maybe there were too many festivals to begin with? Especially nowadays where you have competition from other, cheaper, outdoor activities like Reclaim Australia rallies.

Falls and Splendour hanging in there, seemingly doing quite well. Falls feels like an extremely expensive festival to run, but it continues to fire.

I'd love to see comprehensive profit/loss statements for the various music festivals.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

AJ did this to himself. He was great at the start and put together some great festivals (RIP Harvest, 3 out of the big 4 at Soundwave was a coup), but he fucked up Big Day Out, which took Harvest out with it and emptied his coffers for Soundwave. The lacklustre 2016 lineup makes sense if 2015 bands never got fully paid. He just flew too close to the sun and went down in flames.

Ah the traditional Australian Christmas: family members complaining about Indians.

Yeah I haven't heard anything about the origins of the fire. Could've used more rain with that cool change. Sounds like the Lorne leg of Falls will be cancelled?

This deserves an Order of Australia. It's been given for less; much, much less.

Jamie Briggs has quit the frontbench after an undisclosed late night incident with a public servant at a bar in Hong Kong, and Mal Brough has FINALLY stood aside from the ministry while the AFP complete their investigations.

Merry Christmas Malcolm!

A Current Affair casually floats the idea of eugenics in reference to women in poverty, in all sincerity.

Back
Top Bottom