2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wild guess:
Ireland in December 2015
5 shows in Dublin

Australia /NZ in Late January / Feb 2016

Japan in March 2016

Songs of Experience released in May 2016

Europe Round 2 in June/July/August 2016 (Mix of arenas, stadiums and festivals)

USA/Canada/Mexico in October/Nov/Dec 2016 (all arenas)
Repeat Cities in BOLD
Hartford CT, Providence RI or Worcester MA
Boston x2
Quebec City
Montreal x2
Toronto x3
Brooklyn x2
Philly x2
Pittsburgh
Washington DC
Nashville, Louisville, Raleigh ? (I predict one "Southeast wildcard")
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Mexico City x2
Detroit
Cleveland
Chicago
Minneapolis
Calgary
Edmonton
St. Louis or Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Phoenix
San Diego
Los Angeles x2 (Staples Center this time?)
Oakland x2
Seattle x2
Portland OR
Honolulu ? (Outside like end of Vertigo Tour?)

I realize the whole "two different setlists" thing is over - but I still believe they won't be scheduling single shows at any point on this tour. The financials are probably built around a two-shows-per-city minimum in order to offset the costs of setting up in a new city.

My wild guess:
Ireland in December 2015
5 shows in Dublin

Australia /NZ in Late January / Feb 2016

Japan in March 2016

Songs of Experience released in May 2016

Europe Round 2 in June/July/August 2016 (Mix of arenas, stadiums and festivals)

USA/Canada/Mexico in October/Nov/Dec 2016 (all arenas)
Repeat Cities in BOLD
Hartford CT, Providence RI or Worcester MA
Boston x2
Quebec City
Montreal x2
Toronto x3
Brooklyn x2
Philly x2
Pittsburgh
Washington DC
Nashville, Louisville, Raleigh ? (I predict one "Southeast wildcard")
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Mexico City x2
Detroit
Cleveland
Chicago
Minneapolis
Calgary
Edmonton
St. Louis or Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Phoenix
San Diego
Los Angeles x2 (Staples Center this time?)
Oakland x2
Seattle x2
Portland OR
Honolulu ? (Outside like end of Vertigo Tour?)

Would love to see them play Hartford! But doubt they would

I realize the whole "two different setlists" thing is over - but I still believe they won't be scheduling single shows at any point on this tour. The financials are probably built around a two-shows-per-city minimum in order to offset the costs of setting up in a new city.

The multi-nights aren't really a big money saver. Crew/Hotels are the same price no matter the number of cities they appear in the over the course of a tour leg.

The biggest perk is the band/crew get to sleep in a bit more and play tourist.

They will do single arena nights in 2016 or else big parts of the US will be skipped entirely for the prices they want for tickets. If Denver was thousands short, what hope does Portland Oregon or cities in the SE have?

The multi-nights aren't really a big money saver. Crew/Hotels are the same price no matter the number of cities they appear in the over the course of a tour leg.

They will do single arena nights in 2016 or else big parts of the US will be skipped entirely for the prices they want for tickets. If Denver was thousands short, what hope does Portland Oregon or cities in the SE have?

I'm no touring expert, but I can't help feeling that two nights in one city is more profitable than two nights in two separate cities, even if the second night doesn't completely sell out. And if they don't think they can sell two shows in a given city, they just might skip that city.

As for ticket sales, you're right - those 'secondary' US cities will be tough sells... which is why it wouldn't surprise me if they stick to major cities only. I hope I'm wrong, but I think U2 might not play some of the cities listed in ifeelnumb's post above (e.g. Hartford/Providence/Worcester, Quebec City, Nashville, SLC). Rather, I could see them scheduling a "destination" tour, where fans have to travel longer distances to see them than in the past. Scheduling shows ONLY in Seattle, for example, would drive ticket sales from Portland. Something more like this, with at least two shows in each city:

• Washington DC / Baltimore
  • Philadelphia
  • Atlanta
  • Miami
  • Dallas
  • St. Louis
  • Detroit
  • Minneapolis
  • Seattle
  • Mexico City (not US, I know)

[I edited my original list, completely forgot they had played Phoenix on Leg1! Replaced it with Minneapolis.]

Ten cities, just like each of the first two legs. And no repeats from the first leg, since it seemed like they met the demand there, with the final shows taking a long time to sell out.

Now, everyone could quibble about individual cities on this list, but it's just a sample to give you an idea of what I think is more likely at this stage in their career. I'm almost positive that LN has an entire department that is gathering research on each possible city, with some kind of formula to predict sales, that likely includes population demographics (age, income), sales of tickets for 360 and Vertigo tours, and ticket sales for recent comparable tours (Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Bruce, etc.).

Of course, I'm just a fan, with no insider knowledge or experience really, speculating wildly on here - because that's what we do, right? :)

Last edited:
I don't think U2 would have trouble filling single nights in cities like Portland, Columbus, or really anywhere. As far as Denver not selling out, I feel like something weird happened there. The tickets were not sold by ticketmaster, but some other site. TM has ways of moving tickets that apparently the other site doesn't. Case in point, Chicago 5. There appeared to be MANY seats available, even up to the last day before the show. Yet come show time the place was packed!

I feel like Denver should be a stronger market for U2 than Phoenix, yet Phoenix sold out both shows, and Denver was about 8,000 tickets less for 2 shows than vertigo or elevation were. I realize U2 are not as popular as they were in 2005, but those shows should've sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't think U2 would have trouble filling single nights in cities like Portland, Columbus, or really anywhere. As far as Denver not selling out, I feel like something weird happened there. The tickets were not sold by ticketmaster, but some other site. TM has ways of moving tickets that apparently the other site doesn't. Case in point, Chicago 5. There appeared to be MANY seats available, even up to the last day before the show. Yet come show time the place was packed!

I feel like Denver should be a stronger market for U2 than Phoenix, yet Phoenix sold out both shows, and Denver was about 8,000 tickets less for 2 shows than vertigo or elevation were. I realize U2 are not as popular as they were in 2005, but those shows should've sold out.

Other cities on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean had non-TM distribution and did OK.

I do wonder if it's a red/blue state reasoning and if that will impact tour routing in 2016.

BTW, after the Vancouver review came in I think all non-Denver shows were close to sell outs.

It's absolutely a money saver. Less time and a half for crew members who don't have to setup, tear down, and drive all in one day.

I do wonder if it's a red/blue state reasoning and if that will impact tour routing in 2016.

Funniest interference theory of 2015 ?

They'll come back to the big four (NY, Boston, Chicago and LA-area) in the U.S. but probably will not do as many shows in those cities, in favor of Philly, Minneapolis, etc. Probably just two each - maaaybe four in NY. And they will also come back to Toronto since they kinda got the short end this leg.

It's absolutely a money saver. Less time and a half for crew members who don't have to setup, tear down, and drive all in one day.

Funniest interference theory of 2015 ?

Aren't all travelling members of the crew on retainer for however many months? I don't see saving on local label being a MAJOR savings, especially in regions where money could be made doing 2 single nights than softer sales in one market with 2 nights.

Politics is the only reason I can think of on why Denver had half the sales(1/3rd there was a decent number of fans seeing both I&E shows) of 360 and thousands less than Vertigo.

They'll come back to the big four (NY, Boston, Chicago and LA-area) in the U.S. but probably will not do as many shows in those cities, in favor of Philly, Minneapolis, etc. Probably just two each - maaaybe four in NY. And they will also come back to Toronto since they kinda got the short end this leg.

I so hope you are correct about replaying the big four... especially Boston. :D

If they somehow get another album out, I could see a 4-night NYC stand, but those $312 uppers might have to take a price drop.

Politics is the only reason I can think of on why Denver had half the sales(1/3rd there was a decent number of fans seeing both I&E shows) of 360 and thousands less than Vertigo.

Did Bono speak out against pot or something? Why do you think it's politics when no other shows; regardless if they're red or blue didn't have that problem?

I just hope they make it to Florida by the end of next year. I can't wait much longer!

There's no way they'll skip Miami. I don't think Tampa has ever missed a tour either, so hopefully you'll get that too, depending on where you live in the state.

As an Ohioan, I know I'd consider any gig inside my state a "hometown show", even though Cleveland is a 3 hour drive. I can still get back into my bed by 3am after a show from Cleveland. Hope I get some shows closer to me next year!

There's no way they'll skip Miami. I don't think Tampa has ever missed a tour either, so hopefully you'll get that too, depending on where you live in the state.

As an Ohioan, I know I'd consider any gig inside my state a "hometown show", even though Cleveland is a 3 hour drive. I can still get back into my bed by 3am after a show from Cleveland. Hope I get some shows closer to me next year!

Two in Miami definitely, but I question if they could do two in Tampa. It's a very borderline case, especially considering how Denver sold. They did sell out Raymond James Stadium on 360 (roughly 80,000) and Amalie Arena fits about 20,000 (I'm from Tampa so that's how I know these things). They did one show each on Elevation and Vertigo, which may be telling. Goes back to if they will do single night stops (I don't see why not. They did it on 360 so they might as well on i+e).

Last edited:
Forgive me because I'm just catching up, but I feel like the multi-date city format may stay the same if they stick with this stage set up. One thing I noticed when I went to the shows at MSG was just how much the stage relied on the arena's roof and infrastructure. There were lots of cables all over the place holding up their fancy new speakers and the screen that attached to the ceiling. I'm sure most modern arenas would be able to accommodate something like that, but I wonder how much time it adds to the build time of the stage and how that affects logistics. So with that in mind, I really think that wherever they go next, they'll be doing this city residency again with the current stage setup. I like the theories floated so far that they'll hit LA, Chicago and New York again and then mix it up with places like Miami or Atlanta, DC, a few shows in Texas, Seattle, etc.

Tampa is, in fact, the only city in Florida to have a show on every U2 tour to visit the state. (Though every tour has also hit somewhere in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.) In saying that, these visits have always been for just one show. They've never done multiple gigs in Tampa, not even multiple gigs spread across two legs. They come for one show on one leg and that's it.

Their track record in Florida looks like this: U2 shows by state - Florida (USA) - U2 on tour

Forgive me because I'm just catching up, but I feel like the multi-date city format may stay the same if they stick with this stage set up. One thing I noticed when I went to the shows at MSG was just how much the stage relied on the arena's roof and infrastructure. There were lots of cables all over the place holding up their fancy new speakers and the screen that attached to the ceiling. I'm sure most modern arenas would be able to accommodate something like that, but I wonder how much time it adds to the build time of the stage and how that affects logistics. So with that in mind, I really think that wherever they go next, they'll be doing this city residency again with the current stage setup. I like the theories floated so far that they'll hit LA, Chicago and New York again and then mix it up with places like Miami or Atlanta, DC, a few shows in Texas, Seattle, etc.

There's been arena tours with more complicated set ups for Arenas. The entire rig was out the door in less than 3 hours after Vancouver 2.

Not sure exactly how they'd retrofit this show into stadia. Build a screen twice as long? Unlikely. Plus with no roof they have to build overhead support for the screen and sound system.

This show simply does not translate cleanly to a stadium environment. To do so would require the development of a structure from which the central screen could be suspended. After busting the budget on 360, it is highly unlikely that U2 and Live Nation would have any interest in spending cash on that scale again.

So, it is time for the U2 brain trust to get creative, with tighter fiscal controls in place. While much of this conversation has centered on the US, the need to do stadiums in Europe is a must, as the Continent lacks the widespread network of 18,000-to-20,000 seat arenas found in North America. Additionally, the demand for a stadium run exists in Europe.

So, how do they present I+E in stadiums? Here's one possibility:

* Utilize existing infrastructure whenever possible. That means dusting off an old stadium rig from the years before 360, or leasing/transferring one from another Live Nation artist. (As I have opined earlier in this thread, the Vertigo stage is a candidate.)

* Ditch the "pods" of speakers currently in use, and go with traditional speaker arrays flown from a superstructure near the A stage (or, in this case, the "I" stage). Delay arrays can be deployed downstream.

* The thrust (catwalk) and B stage ("E" stage) translate well, just make the thrust longer.

That brings us to the screen. Why does this element need to be flown from the roof? Perhaps an alternate arrangement could be developed where it could be lifted into place. This is a stretch, but imagine an inflatable screen with content projected into the sides. The band would not be able to perform within the structure as they do in arenas, but it would offer a unique sort of experience that suggests the current arrangement.

Could the stage be placed on a track or on wheels, stored offstage in pieces, and rolled into place during the show? That might be cool, too.

Bottom line: stadiums in Europe next summer, but don't expect the full current North American arena experience. Instead, expect something even better, yet fiscally responsible.

We don't know anything, but if they do leg 3 in NA they will play Boston, NY again. That's all I know for sure.

Not sure exactly how they'd retrofit this show into stadia. Build a screen twice as long? Unlikely. Plus with no roof they have to build overhead support for the screen and sound system.

I thought maybe they'd change up the staging if a new album is out. But it makes more sense to just keep the same setup and just change visualizations like they've done. However, you never know with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom