2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, so yesterday I went to Berlin to experience the show in person. Here are some of my impressions.

The strongest one is that U2 still got it. Even if they are in their mid 50´s their music can be really energetic and convincing. They are also very smart. They know very well what are their strongest advances. They can build up a show like hardly any band. They don´t surprise you with the songs they play much, but the way they create the story of their concert is unique. Then it is easier to get through some weaker moments like Miracle or Cedarwood. Even if Miracle sounds outdated since day one it was released and crowds responds to it in a very reserved way, it has reason to be on the setlist. There are also many better songs on the new album than Cedarwood, but it is important in the storytelling. The visuals for it and the way Bono acted in the screen animation was worth to include this song. When there was voting for the worst warhorse that need to go, I voted for M Ways. I have to admit, yesterday it worked as a charm on the estage. I even enjoyed Beautiful day a lot. I know how much karaoke One is hated over here, but it serves perfectly for its purpose and connects the crowd with the band very emotionally. The band and its team are also very clever in using technologies. Bono in the screen animations, band playing in the screen cage, screen going up and down, lighting bars for intimate mood, all of it is used in synergy with the band and the songs. U2 are just the best in the dramatics of the show. For me personally, the most moving part was Every Breaking Way - October - Zooropa - Streets. That was breathtaking. For the first time I appreaciated EBW with piano.

I had a seat left to the stage, near Adam. My only complaint is on the sound. It was announced as a revolutionary one, so i expected a lot. I don´t know about the rest of the arena, but it was a bit annoying at the place where I was standing. The guitar and the vocal were too much high in the mix, thus especially the drums were drowned. Overally, it was way too loud and the sound system was like overloaded. The sound that came out of it was therefor like distorted like when your speakers are over the top. Is Joe O´Herlihy still handling the mix?

Amazing what seeing them live vs on Youtube can do, eh?

Yeah, the sound seems to really depend on where you are in the arena this time, my first night I was in GA along the ramp on Adam's side and Edge sounded low in the mix. The next night I was in GA against the Red Zone rails on Edge's side and Bono sounded low in the mix.

Wasnt the point in the technology that everyone in the arena experienced the same sound quality

yeah i'm a bit puzzled/worried by that, where do you stand for a good even mix if you're not an Adam Superfan who goes to listen to the BASS?

yeah i'm a bit puzzled/worried by that, where do you stand for a good even mix if you're not an Adam Superfan who goes to listen to the BASS?

The sound on the whole floor is pretty much identical.

The seats however, are a different story due to the acoustics of the arenas. So that sound will be best near the soundboard.

I've seen 2 shows on the floor, 2 shows in the seats. I think the sound is possibly better in the seats. For Berlin 2 I was as far away from the main stage as you could be, back row of the arena, at about 5 o'clock from centre stage and it was crystal clear

I'd be shocked if O'Herlihy was doing the sound. His ears must be shot by now.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

The problem might be the special position of the speakers. When he is at his desk, he can hear only one segment of the arena, one segment of the speakers. I don´t know if there are other crew at different parts of the arena who would give him feedback about sound at other parts of the arena.

The problem might be the special position of the speakers. When he is at his desk, he can hear only one segment of the arena, one segment of the speakers. I don´t know if there are other crew at different parts of the arena who would give him feedback about sound at other parts of the arena.

No, clearly he just sits "at his desk" and if it sounds good there, he runs with it.

:)

Oh man 4 weeks til London!! So excited can't believe the tickets went on sale way back in December!!

Wooohoo ! Me too Gareth! Hyped for the London shows.
Which reminds me i need to rebook my plane ticket. :D

Joe is still mixing like always. I went to all 4 amsterdam shows.
And have to say that the sound was most crappy when standing at the corner of E-stage/catwalk. The mix was slightly off there compared to the rest of the 4 nights where I was on different locations. If you are in the centre or at the back of the field. Sound is pretty much amazing anywhere. Never got a rail spot at mainstage but ended up on second row there. Still great sound.

I expected a lot when I heard this sound system is super special. It was quite disappointing to discover the sound was as bad as in an obsolete local club :) The volume level was a problem, too. I attended many metal gigs, even metal festivals, but this one was one of the loudest concerts I´ve ever been to. Some people standing next to me were even covering their ears :) 2 days after the show I still hear humming in my ears. It was bloody loud. So I guess it is still best to be straight ahead to the stage if you want to experience a good sound.

I expected a lot when I heard this sound system is super special. It was quite disappointing to discover the sound was as bad as in an obsolete local club :) The volume level was a problem, too. I attended many metal gigs, even metal festivals, but this one was one of the loudest concerts I´ve ever been to. Some people standing next to me were even covering their ears :) 2 days after the show I still hear humming in my ears. It was bloody loud. So I guess it is still best to be straight ahead to the stage if you want to experience a good sound.

U2 concerts are always really loud - you need to take ear plugs

ps - thought you got ripped off with your ebay ticket... :)

Yeah everybody in advance warned people on here to bring earplugs. People at the show were eyeing me oddly and asked why the heck I wore earplugs being as young as I am. Yeah uh, I'd like to keep my ears functioning, thank you very much.

As it's been said, every venue will differ.

Comparing an outdoor festival to an arena? That's the pinnacle of logic :up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As it's been said, every venue will differ.

Comparing an outdoor festival to an arena? That's the pinnacle of logic :up:

Just as logical as you asuming a metal festival should be outdoors? :rimshot:

ps - thought you got ripped off with your ebay ticket... :)

Yes, I the ticket from ebay auction didn´t arrive. But I tried my luck with last minute viagogo ticket with picking up in Berlin before the concert. So I travelled 700 km by train from my hometown without having a ticket :) I visited some historic sites in Berlin I got lost, I didn´t have a map, I didn´t know what line takes me to the arena, suddenly the darkness fell, it was quite dramatic. In the end I picked up my ticket (it was in some weird asian bistro) half an hour before the show started, so happy end :)

Y'all have indoor festivals? How does that work? Multiple venues?

multiple bands playing in one venue all night - pretty common over here actually

This is the thing. I did 5 shows this tour and after my first (Amsterdam 3) my ears were completely shot and I was deaf for at least 24 hours after. I had earplugs in for the rest of the concerts.

Loudest concerts I have ever attended, the floor was vibrating. I had seats for Berlin 4 and the acoustics seemed no different, it was earth shatteringly loud.

Hm, I was 2nd row at the e-stage in Amsterdam, and first row at the i-stage in two of the Berlin shows. Never felt it was that loud. Not louder than I've experienced in the past or than I'd expect of a rock concert. Didn't have any issues following the shows either, except my voice maybe ;) At least at the i-stage I saw the loud speakers below the stage, so if it was loud anywhere in the arena, it should have been where I was. Where were you standing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom