2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RTSS - ZooTV version would be kinda nice to hear again regardless if it's Warhorse/Famous.

Sad stat: Elevation has been played more than Running To Stand Still.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wait, now RTSS is a warhorse?! Only in interference.

It's number 21 on the list of most played songs despite not being played in 10 years. How long does a highly played song not have to be played for it to lose warhorse status?

It's number 21 on the list of most played songs despite not being played in 10 years. How long does a highly played song not have to be played for it to lose warhorse status?

Interesting... but not being played at all on four of the last five tours does have to count for something, right? It wasn't exactly a mainstay on Vertigo either, so I wouldn't term it as that as a result.

(feels the 'rarity' debate coming back in full swing)

Interesting... but not being played at all on four of the last five tours does have to count for something, right? It wasn't exactly a mainstay on Vertigo either, so I wouldn't term it as that as a result.

(feels the 'rarity' debate coming back in full swing)

My point was regarding the argument of 'U2 have made their decision to play these 19 songs every night they don't play for the trainspotters leave them alone'. There are plenty of songs that would fill this role without turning into a rarity-fest.

U2 could play the same set every show and I'd still go to multiple shows, I just think it's a shame that a band with such a deep back catalogue is reluctant to touch certain parts of its history.

As long as they keep playing Until The End of The World I will be a happy camper.

My point was regarding the argument of 'U2 have made their decision to play these 19 songs every night they don't play for the trainspotters leave them alone'. There are plenty of songs that would fill this role without turning into a rarity-fest.

U2 could play the same set every show and I'd still go to multiple shows, I just think it's a shame that a band with such a deep back catalogue is reluctant to touch certain parts of its history.

Well, I certainly don't disagree with all of that. I'm in the group that wouldn't mind hearing some stuff of Pop eventually myself, among other things. At the same time, there are some songs like RTSS that I haven't heard live yet and probably wouldn't mind to at some point. So I wouldn't rule it out just for the sake of it being played at some point before. Personally, I'd much rather hear a song that comes across well live rather than hearing a song that hasn't been played in a very long time (if ever) just for the sake of doing it.

Not saying that's what you're saying, of course, but just my thoughts on topics mentioned there...

Well, I certainly don't disagree with all of that. I'm in the group that wouldn't mind hearing some stuff of Pop eventually myself, among other things. At the same time, there are some songs like RTSS that I haven't heard live yet and probably wouldn't mind to at some point. So I wouldn't rule it out just for the sake of it being played at some point before. Personally, I'd much rather hear a song that comes across well live rather than hearing a song that hasn't been played in a very long time (if ever) just for the sake of doing it.

Not saying that's what you're saying, of course, but just my thoughts on topics mentioned there...

YES! To my mind, Two Hearts is a great example of this. While I love that song, it never really seems to take off in concert. The NYC cameo was cool, but it seemed "light" compared to the other more intense oldies that have appeared in that slot so far.

Sad stat: Elevation has been played more than Running To Stand Still.

Happy stats: Electric Co. has been played 16 times on I+E, Bad 11 times. Elevation? 10. Never thought I would see those stats! :love:

Also, 40 has been played 7 times. Stuck has made an appearance at 5 shows.

Happy stats: Electric Co. has been played 16 times on I+E, Bad 11 times. Elevation? 10. Never thought I would see those stats! :love:

Also, 40 has been played 7 times. Stuck has made an appearance at 5 shows.

:up:

So before the start of the 6/28 Chicago show when Bono was meeting with fans outside the United center before rehearsals, I asked him if they would play any Pop or Zooropa songs on the tour and his reply (not exact words) was that right now they're working within a particular theme for the show. And I wanted to say songs like 'Please' fit the first half of the show but then I shifted modes to asking if I could get on stage to sing Desire with them- I'm glad I switched topics. I guess I had more faith in getting to sing a warhorse with them than getting Dirty Day or Mofo. The odds should be way more in favor of Mofo over mofo82 lol :D

Last edited:
When you get 8 shows in one city like NYC, I don't care how much of a theme you have, as a musician, I wonder how you don't get bored of playing some of the same songs, show after show, year after year. I personally paint and draw and I wouldn't go back & try to paint the same exact piece over & over. I would love to hear an inner band meltdown where Adam says 'Fuck it I've had it with One' and throws his tea cup against the wall

When you get 8 shows in one city like NYC, I don't care how much of a theme you have, as a musician, I wonder how you don't get bored of playing some of the same songs, show after show, year after year. I personally paint and draw and I wouldn't go back & try to paint the same exact piece over & over. I would love to hear an inner band meltdown where Adam says 'Fuck it I've had it with One' and throws his tea cup against the wall

Aside from the theme aspect and the fact that songs like One and Elevation are getting significant breaks on this tour, I think it's a bit hard to get sick of certain songs if you know they get a reaction from people (or if you do, gasp, enjoy playing them yourself). Realistically, there's probably only a handful of songs now that have been played significantly on the past few tours... and even SBS got a makeover recently.

Also, for what it's worth, here's an interesting perspective on that area... Duran Duran is another band that, like U2, has a pretty extensive back catalog and a somewhat similar career course (aside occasionally from their lineup changes, album sales, etc.). Their set lists also tend to be a few songs less than U2's and a LOT less changeable. You might be lucky to get two or three songs changed over the course of a tour, and even though they've also given singles a break at points, it usually is the same singles each time along with six or so new songs when the main part of a new tour goes on.

Anywho, they have a new album coming out, and Simon Le Bon had some interesting thoughts on the subject of playing hit songs live and "what the fans want to hear."

The architects of “Girls on Film” know their snapshots. And when asked to look back at those early days — especially as they play their 30-year-old hits in concert — Le Bon turns thoughtful, and speaks in the third person. “If I was a Duran Duran fan, I’d feel ripped off if they didn’t play ‘Rio’ and ‘Hungry Like the Wolf,’ because they’d be two of my favorite songs. And we’re all mindful of that,” he says, returning to himself. “There was a time when [past hits] felt like millstones around our necks. But the beauty of them and the resilience of them is something to be proud of. You play them now and think, ‘We fucking wrote this song, this is us.’ There’s a lot to be said for that. I’d rather it was Duran Duran who wrote songs than anybody else.”

This was promptly followed by Facebook and message board comments saying that Hungry Like the Wolf and Rio were NOT songs they wanted to hear live anymore, why they wouldn't touch the lesser known stuff more, why they didn't get sick of playing the same songs every night, and so on... sounds familiar, right? :D

Let me preface this; I realize that comparing my little bar band to U2 is ridiculous. There is no comparison. On a scale of 100 U2 are 110 and we are a 5, maybe. I write this only because it might offer some perspective.

So I've played lead guitar in a band with my friends since we were like 19-20. We initially wrote a bunch of songs and had dreams of being the next U2, but it was not to be. At some point in our mid-late 20s we transitioned into a cover band, because we got better paying gigs, and the venues we were playing at usually already had a built in audience who only wanted to hear some of their favorite hits. Now we're all in our early 30s and at our practices we rarely even play an original anymore.

One song we always came back to was Tom Petty's "Running down a dream". We fucking HATED playing that song after awhile. But it was one of those songs the audience always went crazy for, people would request it, and we always played it really well... it was probably our best cover. So we'd oblige and play it... and it ALWAYS went off. It was one of the songs we'd close a set with, and it always felt like we were going out on a high note. After awhile, I began to look forward to that song again... not because I liked playing it anymore, but because I fed off the energy that people got when we would nail that song. I imagine that must be a small example of how U2 must feel when playing something like "Mysterious Ways".

On the other hand, we have several original songs we wrote years ago that are very special to us, and we love those songs... but we never play them live? Why? Because the majority of the crowd just doesn't want to hear them, and because we don't want to bring the energy down by playing something they don't know. That might be how they feel about bringing some POP songs into the foray.

I mean I kind of get that but we're talking about songs that were released as singles and are on a best of.

Maybe U2 do not feel like playing them. :shrug: When they started doing Discotheque on the Vertigo tour Edge wasn't enjoying it and did not think it worked with the tour. So it was nixed.

I think it is mixture of playing hits they think have to be done and what they feel like doing in the context or theme of the tour. There is the whole artistic vision they have for the show as well playing into it. They clearly do not think POP fits and/or do not feel like playing any songs from it currently.

If and when they release SOE, I think the narrative will change a bit and we'll see more 90s songs added to the setlist.

Tell us parents/lazy fucks what you learned.

Tell us parents/lazy fucks what you learned.

As mentioned in the other thread: My big takeaway is that Songs of Experience is nowhere near ready.

Also: Larry basically told setlist complainers to shove it since diehards represent only 20% of a show's audience.

^ that.

I listened passively so off the top of my head in addition to that:

Adam has a memory like a goldfish and plays WOWY differently every night.

They have a phenomenal creative team that comes up with the staging.

Someone asked about playing the same shit every night, Larry told the die hard's to fuck ourselves.

According to Bono, Edge is the reason SOI took so long and would have been still working on it as he's a perfectionist.

There may be more but I can't remember right now.

Larry also seems like the angry one. I relate to that most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom