2012 AFL Thread III - Why Do We Even Bother With Our Stupid Teams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a moment in today's game where Folau seriously thought he was playing Rugby League as he tackled one of our players and rolled him over at least 3 times once play had stopped. Gave away a free kick and walked around with his guernsey torn as if somebody had burned down his home. :laugh:

Whilst I think it's unfair to judge Folau this soon, his heart doesn't seem quite in it like Hunt's is. You can tell Hunt's really enjoying the challenge.

Folau was a player at the top of his game tempted by money and I think, deep down, he feels he's made a mistake. I reckon he's back to league once his contract is up.

Hunt, though, was starting to become maligned in league, and after a slow start I think he's come into his own a little bit. You're right, his heart seems more in it. He's never going to be a star, and I'm not sure many other AFL clubs would take him if he was put up for trade, and he's certainly not worth the money he's on, but he's doing pretty well.

I think Hunt would get a spot in just about any team in the bottom 8 at the moment. An emergency at worst.

Yeah, agreed with you guys re Folau vs Hunt. I'll be stunned if Folau doesn't go back to league. Actually, quite surprised Sonny Bill Williams is going back to league from union since his heart seems to be most in playing for the All Blacks, but then I won't be shocked if he's back playing union in time for the 2015 World Cup.

Can't believe Charlotte and I are three points clear of the rest of you folk in the tipping competition!

Are you sure you guys don't always have the same tips (just different margins)? :wink:

I can only ever remember you both being on the same amount of points, or maybe I don't check it enough.

This season is even more of a trouble to tip, to the point where I don't care if I miss some tips every week because of the surprise of the result.

Vlad n U 2 said:
This season is even more of a trouble to tip, to the point where I don't care if I miss some tips every week because of the surprise of the result.

I don't think we get the away teams though, it goes down as a 0.

No, I meant tipping incorrectly. I was awfully tempted to tip Gold Coast last week but didn't go through with it.

Daniel, Charlotte may have beginner's luck, but I'd like to think I no longer count. :tongue:

Are you sure you guys don't always have the same tips (just different margins)? :wink:

I can only ever remember you both being on the same amount of points, or maybe I don't check it enough.

:lol: Charlotte had the lead in her own right for a while - she was two points clear of me until round 13. We picked two games differently and I got both of them right, which brought us level on points.

We always do our tips separately and compare them afterwards; it's surprised us how often our tips have been the same. A few times we've tipped two games differently, only for us to each get one of them right and our scores to level out anyway. I guess since we mainly talk about the footy with each other, it's not too surprising we end up coming to similar conclusions.

And we've tipped three games differently this week, so one of us will be in front of the other no matter what happens on Sunday evening.

... though I'm still not sure if I want to stick with my tip of Melbourne beating Port. :uhoh:

Bravo, Drysdale Woolies, bravo

564122_382548185132350_323992283_n.jpg

No way! :lmao:

I'm going to be annoyed if Judd gets four weeks - because if he gets five, he misses Carlton's game against Essendon!

I guess this makes up for me hopping onboard a significantly improved side last season. :doh:

Judd seems quite remorseful, but hey, gotta do the time. Not like he's been lighting it up this year anyhow.

I still don't understand how what Judd did was a "tackle". Unless that's the only word the AFL community has for assault on the field?

For that matter, are players immune from criminal charges for assaults that might occur during a game? I know it's a contact sport and all that, but obviously things like Judd's actions and Barry Hall belting people in the head are outside the rules. If a player was seriously hurt, could/would they press charges?

Yeah. But it would have to be something incredibly serious, like a player breaking his neck upon hitting the ground or something like that. And they'd probably sue the AFL before pressing charges against a player.

Huh, interesting. When we did all this code of conduct legal training at work, it said that if we were found to have breached some law, both the individual and the company could be prosecuted, depending on the circumstances. I guess the AFL might take better care of its players. :wink:

Remember, Leigh Matthews was famously prosecuted by the police for an on-field assault. The game's been a bit less violent since then - certainly not less violent enough to the satisfaction of the Irish in the International Rules, but less violent than it was back in the day!

Huh, interesting. When we did all this code of conduct legal training at work, it said that if we were found to have breached some law, both the individual and the company could be prosecuted, depending on the circumstances. I guess the AFL might take better care of its players. :wink:

HA! I just had to go through three days of workplace conduct training and they told us the same thing :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom