2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how Europe is possible with two claws. If the 2009 schedule is anything to go by, three claws will be necessary to cover some stretches.

And do I need to repeat my point that if there are shows yet to be announced, some details may not yet be finalised and/or some stakeholders may not have signed their approval ... negotiations are not simple things, and already this year we've seen multiple dates announced after the initial batch (including some announced, then pulled, then re-announced).

This is really interesting. I would guess we'll have a better understanding of the CLAW situation when South American dates are announced. One of the CLAWs is going to be left there as a donation, correct? So, if SA is this Spring, then there will only be 2 CLAWs for NA and Europe. What does Europe's schedule look like for 2 CLAWs?

I didn't hear about leaving a Claw as a donation. South America could easily be toured with 2 claws (plus generous date spacing). Assuming a scenario of SA after Europe, the Claws could be shipped out from the Port of Lisbon, which is the closest large port to SA in Europe. The final two cities in Europe (Sevilla and Coimbra) are each around 50 miles from the Port of Lisbon.

I don't see how Europe is possible with two claws. If the 2009 schedule is anything to go by, three claws will be necessary to cover some stretches.

That's what I thought. So, if U2 are going to leave a CLAW in SA, then they couldn't play there this Spring. (Well they could, but they wouldn't ship a CLAW to SA, back to Europe, then back to SA.)

I didn't hear about leaving a Claw as a donation. South America could easily be toured with 2 claws (plus generous date spacing). Assuming a scenario of SA after Europe, the Claws could be shipped out from the Port of Lisbon, which is the closest large port to SA in Europe. The final two cities in Europe (Sevilla and Coimbra) are each around 50 miles from the Port of Lisbon.

So, it's got to be 3 CLAWs in NA starting in Mexico in May 2010. 3 CLAWs in Europe. Probably 3 CLAWs in SA, one gets left there and then 2 CLAWs in NZ and Australia (one gets left in OZ, too).

claw 1 -

frankfurt to horsens - 5 day gap - very tight
horsens to moscow - 9 day gap - ok
moscow to athens - 9 day gap - ok
athens to munich - 12 day gap - ok
munich to brussels - 7 day gap - ok
brussels to coimbra - 9 day gap - ok

claw 2

hannover to helsinki - 8 day gap - ok
helsinki to vienna - 9 day gap - ok
vienna to istanbul - 7 day gap - tight
istanbul to paris - 12 day gap - ok
paris to seville - 11 day gap - ok

not impossible is it?

So, it's got to be 3 CLAWs in NA starting in Mexico in May 2010. 3 CLAWs in Europe. Probably 3 CLAWs in SA, one gets left there and then 2 CLAWs in NZ and Australia (one gets left in OZ, too).

Using 3 claws for only 4 cities in SA (assuming they play the same cities as the Vertigo tour) may not be economical. I guess they could ship 3 and use 2.

I think the hold-up on the other cities may be related more to demand and supply and not negotiations in most cases. Live Nation does global tours for their other artists such as Madonna, who already played in cities that U2 will visit on upcoming legs, plus many more exotic places as well. Dead grass could be a sticking point though.

not impossible is it?

They might use 3 claws for a couple of small portions, but 2 should be doable otherwise. e.g. Miami may have a 3rd Claw in use. All of this assumes, of course, that no more cities will be added.

claw 1 -

frankfurt to horsens - 5 day gap - very tight

[...]

not impossible is it?

I'd suggest Frankfurt to Horsens is. The tour schedule indicates at least eight days is necessary.

Plus, it's not really five days. It's only four and a half at maximum; 11th to the 14th in full, and the claw needs to be good to go come early afternoon on the 15th. Now, it needs at least a day to be torn down, and at least three to set up ... those trucks would have to drive fucking fast!

Anyway, if they've got three claws, as we know they do, why would they not use them?

Using 3 claws for only 4 cities in SA (assuming they play the same cities as the Vertigo tour) may not be economical. I guess they could ship 3 and use 2.

My main reason that they would send 3 to SA is that if they only sent 2 and leave 1, there would only be 1 CLAW for ANZ. Although, 1 CLAW could go from Europe directly to Australia or New Zealand.

Here's an article again about donating the stages:

U2 to donate stage after 360? tour ends - Times Online

Are we really taking this talk of donating Claws that seriously? It seemed like an off-hand kind of comment to me when it was originally made.

Are we really taking this talk of donating Claws that seriously? It seemed like an off-hand kind of comment to me when it was originally made.

Only to the extent that it helps us speculate for the upcoming tour dates. Donating CLAWs equals SA last part of 2010.

If we had a rumor of how many facial tissues Bono has been using every day we would use it to speculate as well. :D

I reckon we could make an awesome tour scheduling rumour out of what the band are served for dinner.

I agree with most of what you said. I am expecting that there will be additional shows in Anaheim, Oakland, Philadelphia, and New York. My point was different.

I don't see the point of them withholding the date of a San Diego show or a Minneapolis show (for example) if they know that they are going to be playing those places. They know that every city they play would likely sell out, so I don't see the logic of holding back those dates until later.

I think U2 may have decided (as suggested elsewhere) to go with only 2 claws in North America in 2010, which may be why we are seeing large gaps in the schedule and less cities than was previously expected. Just a thought.
ah, ok, I was only speaking about adding 2nd dates to already announced cities. I see what you mean about other cities

anybody see the latest on u2tours?

The Pioneer Press of Minneapolis/St. Paul dropped a rumor that U2 may play at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota next June:

A little birdie says the Gophers' 50,000-seat TCF Bank Stadium will host the Irish band U2 in a concert on June 27. It will be interesting whether alcoholic beverages, currently banned at the stadium, will be allowed.
-dan

Damn Ian do you have a Big S on your chest or what ? ? ?:up:

No, he just knows how to Google. ;)

Minneapolis? I could live with that. Still would prefer Wisconsin, but if that's the closest I can get to combine it with a trip home, I'll take it. :up:

Ha! I remember sitting in a chair (well, before the show, anyway) on the field for the PopMart show I saw. Weird.

Ha! I remember sitting in a chair (well, before the show, anyway) on the field for the PopMart show I saw. Weird.

I went to that show too...2nd row edges side...:wave:
I really hope they come here, it would be the first tour ever that they did not come here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom