2010 Leg Announcement on u2.com now - TOUR DATES - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an excuse. I was working on U2gigs when I was 18.
As I've already pointed out, U2 clearly didn't even feel the need to tour some markets - including all of North America - AT ALL when RAH and Zooropa came out. Hell, they didn't play a single song from Zooropa on North American soil until 2001, eight years after the album came out!

Now folks, lets be nice to the 20 yr old U2 fans, please. lol

Thats good info to know about the Zooropa album. I was still a sheltered high school student back then & totally missed out on the Zootv tour (much to my dismay). So,that is what I was wondering...if the songs from Zooropa got shut out being played in other markets due to the tour schedule. I see that it did. You mean they never played a song from Zooropa on POPmart tour in NA??? Or am i misreading something? Wow.

You mean they never played a song from Zooropa on POPmart tour in NA??? Or am i misreading something? Wow.

Nope, you're not mis-reading anything. Not a single song from Zooropa was performed by U2 in North America (or anywhere else!) between 10 December 1993 and 20 April 2001. The only representation of Zooropa on Popmart was the pre-recorded Lemon remix played over the PA between Streets and Discotheque.

Regarding the large gaps between the 2010 shows (both in the US and in Europe) - while I think an extra city or two may be added, I think they might be doing the gaps for logistical reasons. It's possible they are going to go from using 3 Claws to using 2 Claws in order to save millions of dollars that are eating into the tour's profit. The way the dates are staggered right now, it would be doable with two Claws. Miami is one exception, but I think Miami's Claw will be shipped (and stored) in from a prior leg. This makes sense because the closest show to Miami will be 1200 miles away in Philly. Europe might have exceptions to this as well, but it might be for a port city.

Regarding the large gaps between the 2010 shows (both in the US and in Europe) - while I think an extra city or two may be added, I think they might be doing the gaps for logistical reasons. It's possible they are going to go from using 3 Claws to using 2 Claws in order to save millions of dollars that are eating into the tour's profit. The way the dates are staggered right now, it would be doable with two Claws. Miami is one exception, but I think Miami's Claw will be shipped (and stored) in from a prior leg. This makes sense because the closest show to Miami will be 1200 miles away in Philly.

I was wondering about that. Cutting a third of your logistics cost would help profits.

I was wondering if they might dedicate a CLAW to Canada this time. So far the dates would work (provided there's not a Winnipeg show). I assume there must be some cost/bullshit with bringing CLAWs back and forth over the border. :hmm:

I was wondering if they might dedicate a CLAW to Canada this time. So far the dates would work (provided there's not a Winnipeg show). I assume there must be some cost/bullshit with bringing CLAWs back and forth over the border. :hmm:

True - the 10 day gap between Edmonton and Toronto allows for a cross-country drive with ease. I thought NAFTA eliminated these types of tarriffs, etc :hmm:.

I think some video mentioned $700k/day for the tour costs.

You guys are being way fucking harsh. "Do your research" before coming to discuss something about U2?

Regardless of what you think of his points, relax.

True - the 10 day gap between Edmonton and Toronto allows for a cross-country drive with ease. I thought NAFTA eliminated these types of tarriffs, etc :hmm:.

Yeah, I don't know the specifics of NAFTA, but I've got to believe that at minimum, inspecting 120 trucks must cause some delay, which equals money.

Is it possible that Vancouver's CLAW is staying somewhere between Van and Edmonton?

I suppose this is crossing over into the CLAW thread, though. :D

You guys are being way fucking harsh. "Do your research" before coming to discuss something about U2?

I assume that was directed at the prior conversation :wink:.

Yeah, I don't know the specifics of NAFTA, but I've got to believe that at minimum, inspecting 120 trucks must cause some delay, which equals money.

Is it possible that Vancouver's CLAW is staying somewhere between Van and Edmonton?

I suppose this is crossing over into the CLAW thread, though. :D

It's possible, but Vancouver is a port city. Supposedly the SA leg will be before NA - we'll have to see how they stagger the dates there. All speculation at this point.

I'm crying here, khan. Isn't that what they're doing this tour, anyway? :lol:

:lmao:

And seriously, age is no excuse here. It's a matter of doing your research.

I don't see why they'll suddenly start touring with only 2 claws next leg. Then the 3rd would be quite a waste of money right?

we have bingo.

next time someone tells me that u2 fans are supposedly nicer people than the rest, or puts them/us on some type of elite pedestal, i will remember this thread.

not that im really one to talk...:|:wink:

I don't really think it was a case of garden variety general meanness. I think it was frustration with some people's insistence that they are owed more U2 shows in their area, gosh darn it! and that even after being given many valid reasons why they're not owed shows and why the band is justified in not returning there next leg, they still continue to insist they should get another show. Myself, if I knew that little about the concert industry in general, or how U2 tours specifically, I'd probably shut up about it and not continue to argue my point, or at the very least, go and do some research to find out for myself.

Just my opinion. :shrug:

My comment wasn't about the argument about shows in their area, it was about the few posters who I thought were being outright rude to the 20-year-old.

Maybe I missed the larger context of the argument that was going on, but I still thought it was just unnecessary piling-on.

My comment wasn't about the argument about shows in their area, it was about the few posters who I thought were being outright rude to the 20-year-old.

Maybe I missed the larger context of the argument that was going on, but I still thought it was just unnecessary piling-on.

You're probably right, it could have been put in a nicer way. :)

i can't believe they are trying to determine the number of shows for the NEXT TOUR based on the number of shows from this one

we are still wishing

and people from that area wonder why people from the rest of the country dislike them so much

-dan
you're really going to take an immediate dislike to someone based on where they live? I've lived in RI, NYC and Oxford, England and have met so many really great people. ( in NYC you meet loads of people who've moved from all over the US, and just about every country) I can't imagine deciding to dislike someone based on where they're from. I would have lost out on hanging with some great people and missing a lot of wonderful experiences. Sweeping statements like everyone in the rest of the country dislikes those in the NE are just wrong.

I don't see why they'll suddenly start touring with only 2 claws next leg. Then the 3rd would be quite a waste of money right?

There are fixed and variable costs associated with it. The fixed costs (like production) have already been spent. The variable(operating) costs add up each day in the form of trucks, cranes, people, fuel, etc. I haven't seen these types of date gaps before on two announced legs, which is why I mentioned it. They might keep the 3rd as a spare in storage or use it for a distant city every now and then. If SA gets large gaps as well, it'll provide more information on this.

So maybe what I was griping about was the tail end of a longer argument that I missed earlier, so I'm sorry to jump in and start scolding when I'd only caught the end.

But still - stop being mean! ;)

I haven't seen these types of date gaps before on two announced legs, which is why I mentioned it.

I noticed that, too. It seems that some of the gaps are a bit bigger than many of the gaps in the previous two legs after the itinerary was finalized, but not quite big enough to stick another show between them, and still have the typical gaps of legs 1 and 2. Although I really only glanced at the dates, didn't study them in detail, so I could be wrong. :)

Thank YOU! I hadn't reached this post when I posted my own above.

I can't believe the arrogance and rudeness of a couple of the posters here. Unbelievable. And this person isn't even reacting to their rudeness and yet they continue.

you're really going to take an immediate dislike to someone based on where they live? I've lived in RI, NYC and Oxford, England and have met so many really great people. ( in NYC you meet loads of people who've moved from all over the US, and just about every country) I can't imagine deciding to dislike someone based on where they're from. I would have lost out on hanging with some great people and missing a lot of wonderful experiences. Sweeping statements like everyone in the rest of the country dislikes those in the NE are just wrong.

Dan has an issue with New England for some reason. Not sure why... I cant figure that one out.

I think this is what the 2010 schedule will pan out to be or at least close to. Remember it costs $750,000 per day to run the show whether they are playing or not so it makes since to add in multiple dates for the same venues and I don't think they would have a problem selling out these extra shows.

June 6 Anaheim California Angel Stadium
June 7 Anaheim California Angel Stadium
June 9 Anaheim California Angel Stadium
June 12 Denver Colorado Invesco Field
June 13 Denver Colorado Invesco Field
June 16 Oakland California Oakland Coliseum
June 17 Oakland California Oakland Coliseum
June 20 Seattle Washington Qwest Field
June 23 Edmonton Alberta Commonwealth Stadium
June 24 Edmonton Alberta Commonwealth Stadium
June 27 Possibly Wisconsin or Ohio added here
June 30 East Lansing Minnesota Spartan Stadium
July 03 Toronto Ontario Rogers Center
July 6 Chicago Illinois Soldier Field
July 09 Miami Florida Land Shark Stadium
July 12 Philadelphia PA Lincoln Financial Field
July 13 Philadelphia PA Lincoln Financial Field
July 16 Montreal QC Venue TBA
July 19 New York NY Meadowlands Stadium
July 20 New York NY Meadowlands Stadium

i was trying to explain and be polite, but you tend to lose patience when you aren't listened to :shrug:

I don't really think it was a case of garden variety general meanness. I think it was frustration with some people's insistence that they are owed more U2 shows in their area, gosh darn it! and that even after being given many valid reasons why they're not owed shows and why the band is justified in not returning there next leg, they still continue to insist they should get another show. Myself, if I knew that little about the concert industry in general, or how U2 tours specifically, I'd probably shut up about it and not continue to argue my point, or at the very least, go and do some research to find out for myself.

:)

I think this is what the 2010 schedule will pan out to be or at least close to. Remember it costs $750,000 per day to run the show whether they are playing or not so it makes since to add in multiple dates for the same venues and I don't think they would have a problem selling out these extra shows.

I'd love if they added these additional shows. Although I'd probably prefer only 2 shows in Anaheim with a 2nd one in Miami instead, but not sure there'd be enough time to get the stage to Philly by the 12th.

They must figure that Ohioans will travel to Michigan?

MapQuest says a tad over four hours from Dayton Ohio to MSU:up::up:

Not saying I wouldn't love two shows @ OSU:D

A bit over one hour from our house:drool:

Hell, they didn't play a single song from Zooropa on North American soil until 2001, eight years after the album came out!

Nope, you're not mis-reading anything. Not a single song from Zooropa was performed by U2 in North America (or anywhere else!) between 10 December 1993 and 20 April 2001. The only representation of Zooropa on Popmart was the pre-recorded Lemon remix played over the PA between Streets and Discotheque.

Damn I believe you AxVer b/c you certainly know your U2 History but WOW I never knew this:ohmy:

I am assuming the song in question is Stay ? ? ?

Wait wasn't DGPFYCC performed during ZOOTV TOUR:ohmy:o wait maybe that was PRIOR to 12/10/1993:hug:

I didnt insist anything. I was under the impression that at this stage in their career when they put a new album out they would tour seperately, thats all. When I asked, the first posts were not trying to explain anything at all. Saying "WTF are you talking about?" isnt answering my question. Once the link with their tour dates from the 90's was posted, and I actually saw that they have released CD's in the past in the middle of a tour I was able to accept it. It wasnt about complaining they werent returning. One thing I noticed from a few people here, and people I talked to was that even if they came back to Boston some people didnt see a reason to go because they didnt like the GA experience as much as other places and if they already could see the same show in Canada they would do that. Seemed like they might easily sell out more places if they go to a place they already played at, with the new songs, thats all.

I didnt insist anything. I was under the impression that at this stage in their career when they put a new album out they would tour seperately, thats all. When I asked, the first posts were not trying to explain anything at all. Saying "WTF are you talking about?" isnt answering my question. Once the link with their tour dates from the 90's was posted, and I actually saw that they have released CD's in the past in the middle of a tour I was able to accept it. It wasnt about complaining they werent returning. One thing I noticed from a few people here, and people I talked to was that even if they came back to Boston some people didnt see a reason to go because they didnt like the GA experience as much as other places and if they already could see the same show in Canada they would do that. Seemed like they might easily sell out more places if they go to a place they already played at, with the new songs, thats all.

Don't worry about it. You weren't being an ass.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm sorry if I came across harshly, I think it was just frustration trying to explain to you and a few others over several days, not just last night. I very nicely explained a few days ago why I thought U2 might have chosen to skip the Boston area, even saying that I was sorry for area fans who would be disappointed, only to be told by some posters (not you specifically) that it was "ludicrous" and that some of us seemed to be taking joy in Boston being skipped over in '10. To the contrary, I wish everyone could get all the shows they want, but obviously, that's just not possible. Why would I want to see anyone left out? That makes no sense.

I still contend that the most likely reason they're not touring there next year is because of Boston 2 tickets not being in high demand. U2 are astute businessmen, and they understand supply and demand. It's a matter of simple economics and marketing. It they thought it would be profitable to go back next year, they probably would. I'm sorry if some New Englanders choose not to believe that, but it really is the most likely reason.

Anyway, if you're interested in their inner workings, and would like to read more about the tour where they specifically did release another album in the midst of touring, I'd suggest Bill Flanagan's U2: At The End of the World. It's a biography/travelogue/tour log written during the Zoo TV tour, during which Zooropa was released. Highly fascinating, and necessary reading for any fan. :)

I'd love if they added these additional shows. Although I'd probably prefer only 2 shows in Anaheim with a 2nd one in Miami instead, but not sure there'd be enough time to get the stage to Philly by the 12th.

the 9th or 10th is going to san diego or maybe salt lake...just can't see anaheim getting 3.

i never really considered the driving distance from miami to philly.

-dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom