2010-2011 NBA Thread Episode III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying Dirk doesn't try to show how injured he is, which Wade was clearly trying to do, regardless of how injured you think he was.

I don't think Wade was faking being hurt. I just think he's fragile. Dude is always hurt. Just look at him. He's wrapped up like a mummy. Secondly... if you're going to do that sissy mary euro step travel bullcrap move in traffic, exposing your body in an awkward position, you're asking to get hurt.

Third... that was a clear charge and a bullshit call.

also... if anybody is actually interested in how lebron can put out such a feeling of narcissism, while at the same exact team have such an incredibly fragile ego... i would invite you to pick up a copy of George Dohrmann's incredible book "Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, And The Youth Basketball Machine."

the culture that has taken over grassroots basketball is truly sickening, and one that chews kids up and spits them out, especially if they don't have a strong family support system in order to keep them grounded, which lebron clearly has never had.

i also recommend anyone interested reads the book simply to make me seem like less of a ranting lunatic when i go on my anti-AAU tirades.

I don't think Wade was faking being hurt. I just think he's fragile. Dude is always hurt. Just look at him. He's wrapped up like a mummy. Secondly... if you're going to do that sissy mary euro step travel bullcrap move in traffic, exposing your body in an awkward position, you're asking to get hurt.

Third... that was a clear charge and a bullshit call.
I have no doubt he's fragile. But he missed time, collapsed on the floor, grimaced at many turns ... and never once showed any actual pain when he was playing. Not once. It'd be one thing if he was shooting threes off one foot and getting helped out on defense, but he was driving to the lane like nothing was wrong every time. He wasn't even slowed a bit.

He had a bad bruise, that was it. He was sore. Woah, that's never happened in a basketball game.

also... if anybody is actually interested in how lebron can put out such a feeling of narcissism, while at the same exact team have such an incredibly fragile ego... i would invite you to pick up a copy of George Dohrmann's incredible book "Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, And The Youth Basketball Machine."

the culture that has taken over grassroots basketball is truly sickening, and one that chews kids up and spits them out, especially if they don't have a strong family support system in order to keep them grounded, which lebron clearly has never had.

i also recommend anyone interested reads the book simply to make me seem like less of a ranting lunatic when i go on my anti-AAU tirades.
I think I'll pick it up. My father is a basketball coach.

Can't agree more with this post. I had new insight after reading this book last fall, and it helped clear up alot of stuff for me/us. :up:

It should be required reading, frankly.

Here's the book I read after that one, and I recommend it also. It's perhaps not as well written but it's no less riveting:

"The Last Shot: City Streets, Basketball Dreams" by Darcy Frey

I will warn that there isn't much of a way to prepare one for the shock to the system that comes in the last chapter, however. Not for the faint of heart if you've got a loved one in the game.

I have no doubt he's fragile. But he missed time, collapsed on the floor, grimaced at many turns ... and never once showed any actual pain when he was playing. Not once. It'd be one thing if he was shooting threes off one foot and getting helped out on defense, but he was driving to the lane like nothing was wrong every time. He wasn't even slowed a bit.

He had a bad bruise, that was it. He was sore. Woah, that's never happened in a basketball game.

we've all seen players who go down with what looks like a career ending injury, rolling around in pain as if he'd just been shot, only to be up and playing again 5 minutes later. there's an especially large drama queen of this sort wearing #34 up in boston. i love paul pierce, but yea... his amazingly awful injuries tend to heal quite quickly.

i don't know if this is wade... there might be a touch of the drama queen in him, but i really think he's incredibly fragile and has a style of play that puts an incredible pounding on his body. i honestly think he's got another 2-3 years before his body completely breaks down.

lebron and wade both are going to have to vastly change their styles of play once they start hitting 30. unless either one of them develops a consistent outside jumper, when their athleticism starts to go, they're scoring abilities are going to fall off very quickly

^^ He takes way too many drives into traffic at impossible angles, I agree. It's like you have to hold your breath every time he takes it in.

As for showmanship/drama agree he's fairly low-key in that regard imo..as for #34..well..they do call this The Greatest Show On Earth. It's gotta look good for TV, man! ;)

NBA Finals 2011: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade feign illness ... at Dirk Nowitzki's expense? - ESPN Dallas

LeBron, Wade feign illness before Gm. 5

DALLAS -- Dirk Nowitzki's sinus infection and the ensuing storyline apparently was a source of amusement for Miami Heat superstars Dwyane Wade and LeBron James before Game 5.

As they walked out of American Airlines Center after Thursday morning's shootaround, Wade and James pretended to cough and wheeze, smirking as they repeatedly covered their mouths with their shirts while being filmed by Miami CBS affiliate WFOR.

This came two days after Nowitzki scored 21 points, including a critical driving layup in the last minute, while playing with a 101-degree fever during the Dallas Mavericks' NBA Finals-tying Game 4 win.

Wade had already made it clear that he believed the story of Nowitzki playing through illness and injury -- the Mavericks' superstar tore the tendon in his left middle finger in the series opener -- had been overblown.

"I have respect for him as a great player. I'm not going to get into the injuries," Wade said Wednesday. "Everyone is injured at this time. I'm not going to get into the fun-loving story of him being sick, either. Once you show up on the court, you show up on the court. Everyone is equal.

"He's a great player without all the dramatics of the stories that's been going on."

Wade, who once had a shoe commercial that glorified his toughness, is dealing with his own injury now. He suffered a bruised left hip during a first-quarter collision with Dallas reserve forward Brian Cardinal during Miami's Game 5 loss Thursday night, causing him to miss two extended stretches of the game.

"I don't talk about injuries," Wade said. "It's unfortunate that I had to leave the game, but I came back and I finished it. ... Once you're on the court, you're on the court. I don't have no excuses."

Nowitzki still had a slight cough Thursday night, but his fever was down and he felt fine while scoring 29 points to help the Mavs take a 3-2 series lead.

"He may not be 100 percent," coach Rick Carlisle said, "but he seemed to be OK."

"I have respect for him as a great player. I'm not going to get into the injuries," Wade said Wednesday. "Everyone is injured at this time. I'm not going to get into the fun-loving story of him being sick, either. Once you show up on the court, you show up on the court. Everyone is equal.

"He's a great player without all the dramatics of the stories that's been going on."

really? i mean, come on... really? a member of the miami heat is going to talk about "dramatics of the stories that's been going on" with dirk nowitzki? really? and a player who once had a commercial that talked about how tough he was because he keeps getting up when he's knocked down? yea? ya sure? really? dirk has drama? really...

douches. they're all douches.

Game 6: what a pack of idiots all around.

Told you Stevenson was a psycho. Chalmers isn't a brain surgeon either but at least he didn't come off of the bench.

Fuck.

Miami starting to get favorable calls. A number of walks going uncalled, a few phantom fouls. That call on Chandler when Wade drove to the basket was a crime. Purely a "Oh shit, Wade missed it, better blow the whistle!" reaction. And Jackson claimed it was a push? No, a push is what Chalmers did on the breakaway to Barea.

Not sure if any of you saw this, but the Wall Street Journal counted the amount of times players touched each other during a game, be it hi5s, hugs, chest pats, butt slaps, etc, and in the first three games the Mavs had 250 to 134.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom