(12-04-2005) U2 in Boston, Tonight - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 in Boston, Tonight

U2 are back in motion after a short break following their recent dates in Canada with the Arcade Fire. Tonight finds our boys in a very Irish place and Institute once again pulling opening duties. Good to see "Fast Cars" back in rotation!

Below is the set list. Special thanks to Gorman, Khanada Rhodes and Lila64 for all that they did.

To read the Boston Globe review, go here.

To read the Boston Herald review, go here.

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / Dirty Water (Snippet)
3. Elevation
4. I Will Follow
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (Snippet)
6. Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Snippet) / Here Comes The Sun (Snippet)
7. Original Of The Species
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna A Sorrento (Snippet)
9. Love & Peace Or Else
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (Snippet)
11. Bullet The Blue Sky / Hands That Built America (Snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (Snippet)
12. Miss Sarajevo
13. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
14. Where The Streets Have No Name (Wow x3)
15. One

ENCORE

16. Until The End Of The World
17. Mysterious Ways
18. With Or Without You

19. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
20. Yahweh
21. Bad / 40 (Snippet)

22. All Because Of You
23. Fast Cars

Last edited:
My friend Andy was at this show and he said that it ranks up there on the spectacular. (he has seen 15 shows this year)

I was there on the floor. :yes: It was a cold and wet (snowy) December day in Boston and I had no desire to wait in that weather for the chance I might get called into the ellipse (I wasn't - zero for sthree there - I really hate this lottery system :mad: ) or fight to get a spot somewhat close to the railing. Instead I came to the show before Institute started and enjoyed listening to the show from various spots farther back on the floor (e.g., soundstage, closer, left side, right side, etc.).

After "Bad", I figured the concert was over. That was the second encore and U2 ended on a strong note. I started making my way to the exit.

But wait! The lights weren't going on (they should have given where I was on the floor and how far the exit was from me). The crowd was cheering even louder! And what's this? People walking around with flashlights on stage? Hmmm... Could it be an unheard of, an unprecedented THIRD encore?

IT WAS!!!!! :combust:

Even better, I finally got to hear "Fast Cars" live in person. This was my seventh and final show for this tour. This is a record for me - I saw as many U2 shows in this one tour as I did all their other tours combined! Yet, despite six prior shows, I had not heard "Fast Cars". I had been treated to many songs, including "Gloria" and OotS before, but "Fast Cars" had eluded me. After "Bad" was played - which seemed the natural ending point - I felt I'd just have to enjoy bootleg performances of this song. But thanks to this magical third encore I got to hear "Fast Cars" in person! :cute: :happy:

While I don't think that U2 were as tight or the audience as loud as the Boston show on May 26th, Dec. 4th's performance was indeed one of the highlights of the tour. Combine this with the fact that I happened to be at the two shows film for the Chicago DVD and saw a show in Ireland and I don't think this tour could go any better for me!

Then again... there is Australia. :hmm:

Great job U2!! :up: :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME show. This was my 50th show of my U2 fandom back to the club show at Toads in New Haven CT in 1980. I think the boys knew it and there was the 3rd encore:wink:
Seriously, unreal show...i scanned in and was right next to Adam and right on the 2nd encore he stoped in front of me as i yelled "slap that Bass Adam!!" and he bent down and gave me a handshake!!
Set list was great energy was awesome from the band, i struggled at times getting a pulse from the audience but over all good.

Hi Jono!

I think the setlist was great. Bono's voice sounded fantastic and I think technically there were no mistakes in playing. However, I didn't feel that U2 were as "tight" as they had been on prior shows this tour. But I will readily admit that another person may strongly disagree.

However, along those lines, I didn't think the audience was into it quite as much either. I had similar floor tickets for the May 26th show. Again, not scanned in (in fact, my friend and I didn't even get a second scan!!), so I stood about 10-ish rows of people back from the ramp. That audience was ridiculous! It was the loudest I've heard inside and the energy level was tremendous. U2 also had a great setlist that night.

But the magic of this third encore and "Fast Cars" is indeed tough to beat! :)

I have a coworker/friend who went to both Dec. shows. He should be on his way home now. Apparently, he got to hear "Gloria". That alone should make him estatic - that's the one song he wanted to hear most (as he had been to numerous shows as well and this was all that was remaining). I'm sure he's floating after two great nights!

I would rather say Bono said "Wow" three times.

Three times Streets in a row :drool:

They played Fast Cars again. :wink:

So I was a happy woman that night.

But there was more, much more, to love Dec. 4: The fans who were pulled up on stage with the flags at the end of One. UTEOTW live. Bad (a song I have now come to love live). And that cheesy/funny "The Edge is from The Future" routine, dedicated to the scientists at MIT.

Another great Vertigo Tour show, worth the trip for this Midwestern fan.

:applaud:

I know one of the guys on stage as well -- everyone keeps sending him pics and he sends them to me!! I saw them on October 25 @ the Palace of Auburn Hills and it was AWESOME!! Nobody puts on a show like them :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom