(12-01-2004) U2.com Relaunches...Or Not - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2.com Relaunches...Or Not

Late yesterday, U2.com launched its new site, but only for a brief period of time before returning to the current "Vertigo"-themed minisite. Some quick Interferencers were able to catch the red, black and white-motif site when it was up, and reported that some links on the page didn't work and experienced some network problems. We're guessing it was just a "slight of hand and twist of fate" that accidentally launched the as-yet-incomplete brand-spanking new U2.com.

It is interesting to note that on November 23rd, U2.com reported that its official relaunch would be "within the week," and has so far turned out to not be the case. Also curious was the fact that its message board area, Zootopia, was not open for discussion in time for the new album's release.

Stay tuned as we all excitedly await the grand return of U2.com!

A lot of fans finally received their propaganda letter and now we've to wait again....

Let's hope the tourdates are final and we don't have to wait for 48 hours in Croke park before they finally get on stage...

I was there...IT ROCKS!

Last night I went online, and as usual my startpage u2.com went up. But now in a fancy black and red version with timeline, shop (with the most awesome t-shirts ever from both HTDAAB and all the other albums). All the new t-shirts are with pictures and quotes from the HTDAAB book.

All in all the page is worth the wait.

I later went to the toilet and the vertigo-page was back online. Imagine how many times a punched in u2.com again, but no.

Dennis

Right now u2.com is in the air!

I tried to subscribe, entered my prop-code, but in the end it's not working...

'please select your shipping method' there's no shipping method available!!!!

I was so close....

from u2log.com

U2’s official site, U2.com, has got a new look and new bells and whistles, including the substitute for their former print magazine ‘Propaganda’: a paid online membership to U2.com.

Great! But hold on to your hats, because the sign up forms are clearly experiencing some problems. U2log.com editors have not been able to purchase memberships and have run into some mindboggling errors.

We advise our readers not to sign up until these teething problems have been solved. We’ll keep you posted.

Well, I have U2.com open now in internet explorer and it's fine! I subscribed with no problems at all. Got emails confirming subscription. Used my 25% off voucher already! It's cool!

But, for AOL users you may have problems. At first, I couldn't read anything...background and text was all black and no scroll bar.....so I tried internet explorer and it works just fine!!

Maybe it will go down again, but right now I just logged in with no problem.

My favorite band....Finally sell out

I'm convinced my favorite band in all the world has sold out. I didn't think it was possible but inevitably it seems to happen to the best of them. It started with a quote I read from Paul Mcguinnes (SP) saying something to the effect of old fans being fine and dandy but the new fans are what we are after.... oh really.... well, what about MY dedication and many hundereds of dollars. Then came Itunes. I struggled with that endeavor being shoved in my face on CNN to ABC for a month. When I heard they hadn't taken any money for the production I was a little relieved. As Bono said "it's the future of the music biz" or some such bull. Then came the Album... which I, by the way, downloaded and have yet to purchase...I really want to like it the same way I use to but like it's predecessor it's so damn produced with some great songs. Then came the box set. Since when do I need to have 150 bucks and a 300$ machine to hear 10 songs I care about. I guess since now. The nail in the proverbial coffin is U2.com wanting more money... 40 fuckin' dollars ... to get full access to a site I had full access to, for free, a month ago. 1st dibs on expensive concert tickets. I didn't have a problem getting expensive tickets before... 14 times before. Now evidently unless I pay 40$ I'm goin too. I don't have a problem with people making a buck...even the earnest one's but for god's sake if it looks like a duck... well you know the rest of it.

oh and read thestranger.com every thursday

I've had no problems at all except the Webmail address book doesn't work, and when you click the error box, it takes you to the official Fleetwood Mac site!

I've had nothing but problems. Fanfire has got to be one of the least fan-friendly sites I've ever encountered. When I saw that the new site was finally up today, I got my Propaganda card and went straight to attempting to give them my 20 bucks. An hour later -- AN HOUR LATER -- I gave up and called their customer "service" line. This site was a complete glitch from start to finish, telling me that my original choice for a username was taken, when it actually wasn't. (I ended up with six separate "welcome to U2.com" emails in my Hotmail box, for six separate user accounts, NONE of which will actually log me in at U2.com). I finally -- I thought -- got lucky on the sixth try, got my name and address entered, got my Propaganda code entered for the discount... and then Fanfire.com gave me an error message, that my session had been expired due to inactivity. After my third phone call and third customer service rep, I got a vague promise of an email or phone call "tomorrow, maybe Saturday... I think we're open Saturdays". No idea if my account will get activated, no idea if the Propaganda code is still usable, no nothing. I love U2, but I currently rank Fanfire below even Ticketmaster in the ninth circle of Corporate Hell.

I cannot stress this enough: if you haven't yet signed up for membership at U2.com, DON'T. The site is a disaster, the service is non-existant. Wait a couple of days at least to see how this mess sorts out.

(Oh, btw, Atomicelvis, if out of a "box set" of over 400 songs there's only "10 songs I care about"... you ain't a U2 fan. I mean, I can't even think of ten U2 songs I *don't* care about...)

C.

Waited till Saturday, still no luck. None of my six usernames will log me in (I received followup emails that all six are free accounts), and any attempt to try a new one gets me "502 Server Error at U2.com Port 80". As an added plus, customer service has now hung up on me twice, after keeping me on hold for five minutes. At this point, I'm about ready to destroy that Propaganda card and never visit the site again. If they can't even handle signing people up, how is Fanfire ever gonna process ticket orders? This sucks.

C.

I have joined U2.com and gotten 2 e-mail messages, but I've yet to be asked for a credit card # or prop code. I've been trying for 2 days now, but I'm only getting 502 proxy errors. At this point I'd be willing to pay an extra $10 to buy the subscription by snail mail, and another $10 to buy the actual tickets that way.

Herewith, My Saga (in VERY condensed form).

*LONG POST WARNING AHEAD*
I got my letter and card on Monday (after MUCHO attacks of nervousness for a week. I had no idea if my membership had expired or not, and I French-kissed the Propaganda envelope once safely within my own private walls.):wink:

I waited until Friday night to register, after reading the numerous horror stories from here and elsewhere, thinking that this--and a simple Prop code, I thought mine was going to be simple to enter, judging from what I'd read about the code problems--would make things easier. WRONG. I was one of those people whose code, it seemed, wouldn't register even when I hit "refresh" first. As a result, I go back a second time and started with the Red X in the box. This got me to the $40 page, and there was no way I could make the coupon page appear. Furious, and crying, I have to admit, thinking I was completely screwed, I get on the phone with FanFire, choosing the "Customer Service" option on the menu. The girl who answered at first had no idea if I was officially registered as a $40 member or not. I filled in the Credit card info but hesitated before pressing the "Process Order" button. (May I state that this was also going to be my first ever credit transaction online, I am a privacy nut and ONLY this being the sole way to order for Prop would make me do this. I am VERY bitter about losing the "money order" option.)

So I sit there chatting with this girl for 5 mins, telling her that I haven't submitted my credit card info yet but am I stuck in the system as a $40 member? She told me that she couldn't pull the page up on the screen but I thought that was because she hadn't filled out any info. I discuss the problems that people have been having, including the $20 coupon option not functioning and people still getting charged $40. Finally, after making her ask someone else, she tells me that I can go ahead if I want and subscribe for the $40, but my Prop code is entered in the system. I can then either email them, or sign up again next week when the Coupon code was fixed. (She said "possibly" Monday the coupon function would be working correctly; We shall see, but I'mnot going to rush to find out.)

So I thank her and get off the phone. She hasn't mentioned a thing about problems with access codes, and I am freaking out, thinking that I screwed up because I did it a second time hitting the X, after not being able to get the $20 page with refresh. Still--(and wisely, it turned out) I didn't hit the Process box, and backed out altogether. I got out of the site, got back in, logged in, and got the wrong page again. I get back on the phone, this time choosing "Order". After a total of about 20 mins of waiting--and being cut off twice--a very nice--at first-- girl came on but I poured out my story and made her get a supervisor. She asked me, a bit rudely, what I needed a supervisor for. (Because you don't seem to have a clue, Miss, I think. And you'd better believe that's the "family-friendly website" version:).Turns out, they don't have "supervisors", only "leads." A massive warning bell went off in my head. More on this in a minute.

She puts me on hold "(interestingly, their "elevator music" for being put on hold is SYCMIOYO-which makes perfect sense, but believe me, I'll never hear the first 2 stanzas of that song the same way again! It was the only amusing part of this episode.)

The lady who came on sighed when I said "U2", and I had brief small talk about how many calls they must have had. She related horror stories from the first hour the site was up. I explained about the U2.com member heirarchy and she said she understood, but I insisted on telling her a bit more about Prop. (I wanted to say, "You think we U2 fans are pain in the arse now, wait until the Prop tickets go on sale"?) I know it was dumb but somehow--even though I suspected I was dealing with a call center by now--I felt the need to explain to this woman that this was going to be the biggest tour of next year and the distinguised history of the fan club, just to differentiate us U2 fans from the common lumpen prole herd that calls FanFire over other paltry acts (am I nuts? I don't think so. Our money is going to single-handedly rescue the concert biz next year and they had damned well better be thankful for us while we're around.)

So then I get into my problem, and in the course of the conversation it turns out that not only is she reading her info off a sheet of paper--I can tell--she, a "lead", can't even access the site. Nobody can. I am incredulous. She couldn't even pull up the screen to see exactly what it was I was talking about? She did know about problems with access codes, however,and this is how I found out that not only had I NOT screwed up the first time, but also the fact that if I had not submitted my credit card info and backed out of the site, and allowed my code thus to languish for a couple of days, it would disappear from the system by Monday and I could try again with a blank slate. She sounded like she had talked with superiors on this, and seemed to be quite knowledgable on it, even though she had no computer there. But this was by trial and error, NOT info looked up on a computer, so....?She talked at length about the credit card problems and said that "by Monday" all the $20 coupon options would be working--the FanFire site was being updated to handle them all.

After some more clearing up, I got off the phone, dreading the future more than ever. I am going to wait until Teus or even Wed to register--the people who got charged $40, which is an awful lot, will have to re-apply, so there goes their being high up in the "database list." SOme people didn't mind being charged megabucks subscribing multiple times, but how many can there be? I was in the "middle" of the old Prop database--I subscribed in the spring of 1991-- and had no prob with getting great seats, so I don't mind being in the "middle" online. Which I prob will be, considering the speed of things and how many people haven't even gotten the letter yet.

Why do I dread the ticket sale now even more than before? Because it's aparent that the vaunted FanFire operation is being run out of a drab little Call Center.

Now I'm sure many of you are familar with Call Centers and know they work, and some of you may have even worked for one. I haven't, but have read a lot about them. And as a public service for disgruntled people on here, for the people who don't know, let me tell you the difference between a Call Center and a RESPONSIBLE Customer Service network.

I've done work over the phone for the local State Divisions of FEMA, a Health Care network, and for the Income Tax Service. (Never again, that last, unless I am starving.) Then, I had my own cublicle and computer as well as the phone. I knew my conversations were recorded, but I had my relative privacy, and didn't have a supervisor breathing down my neck, and they were available to handle my questions about difficult calls. I could easily access each screen I needed to get into during the course of the call. I jotted notes. Some transactioms--like determining the elability of a caller for a certain program--were comlicated and took many minutes. But it was the quality, not the quantity, of my work that counted, and nobody hassled me about "volume."

Call Centers are different. I wish I could remember my source material for this, so you could read it for yourselves, but trust me.
Call Centers are run by for-profit companies whose staff are part-time, drastically underpaid, little more than the phone equivalent of fast food or garment workers, so badly are they sometimes treated on the job. The big thing about working for a Call Center is that it is the volume, NOT the quality, of the work that counts when workers are evaluated. The more calls a worker handles, the better their performance. (Ah! I remember one of the books I read this from! It's a new book on the health care industry, that just came out 2 months ago. I forgot the authors' names but they are recent Pulitzer Prize winners. It's called "Critical Condition: How Health Care In America Became Big Business and Bad Medicine." Forgot the chapter that discusses call centers but the book is short and you'll find the info soon enough. It talks about the process of calling an HMO about billing problems and states that the success of the Health care call center model had spread very widely to other industries as well. Whatever the heck that means--though I suspect a company's rating with shareholders and cutting costshas a lot to do with it, NOT sucess as in quaility of performance.)

Anyway, intense pressures are put upon call workers in some cases (this is true of the health care industry, I don't know how true it might be of a place like FanFire--but you never know; how many of us are amateur whistle-blowers?) to handle as many calls a day as possible. They are under a strict quota, and under some circumstances, you can get instantly fired if you don't meet the daily quota.

These actions include cutting down to the absolute minimum the individual' worker's personal equipment, sometimes furnishing the workers with little more than tip sheets. This would seem to apply to FanFire not only because of the lack of computers in the office--or at least website accessabilty--but from phrases the girls said. (the kind supervisor said, for example, "the thing they told us to remember about *this one* is to hit the refresh button." So much for thinking you were dealing with the "U2 section" of the FanFire office. or the "U2 Office" of FanFire. We're just getting a big room filled with nabobs who answer questions about every other act in the book. And it's plain they are just reading from the daily or weekly "U2 tip sheet." Or not even that--was it just something stressed at the daily morning staff meeting??! )Also, the volume of the traffic in the background, and the irritation of the girl when I asked for a supervisor, when she'd been so nice starting out. There goes the short length of her call, or the "referral to a manager" would go against her in the daily roundup.)

Call center workers in some industries have little or no break or lunch time, routinely work 12-hr shifts with even bathroom breaks counting as "points" detracted by thier bosses against them from their daily performance sheet. I mentioned the quotas. The supervisors hover closely and note everything. And they can get instantly fired. I am sure you're thinking that this is no big deal if the workers are just students, but think again. Many people have to do this for a living, or go unemployed for a while.

Like I said, I'm sure this is no news to the many of you who know about call centers or have worked for one. But I'm sure many of also you will find this news. And it's of paramount concern if this is how the Propaganda operation is going to be handled from now on. The snail Prop was slow, but when I had a problem I'd rather have the single scruffy college kid on the other end sitting in a cheap apartment somewhere eating potato chips--or a guy like the one in Jurassic Park, you know who I mean-- than McDonald's With A Phone.

It was knowledge of this, and my own past customer service experience, that kept me from at least yelling at anybody on the phone. And I could sympathize with the lady on the phone about job stress. BUT at the same time I have SO MUCH anger that the Propaganda operation was so neatly folded into the common sheep herd of this company and we are being treated like this.IMHO., the Propaganda operation, precisely becuase it is supposed to be run as a "seperate" fan club, outhgt o be handled by an operation where the workers have computers so they can pullup the websites of the act that the customer is calling aobut...major websites handling ticket sales, where a LOT of money chages hands, should be run like FEMA or a state agency..and NOT like a church's fundrasing operation, where it sin't necessary to know a huge amount of info.

I am choosing not to blame the band at this point--they are still out on the promo tour and prob have not had the chance to know. Or amybe they know but are unfamilar or mislead about FanFire. The question here is: How much does McGuinness know and when did he know it? Was this his doing, and how much pressure did the Clear Channel/Ticketmaster jauggernaut put on him.them to fold into these people? We know that Ticketmaster limits the amount of tix a fan club can sell to one-tenth. (I'd love to know how recent this rule is.) Was u2 under intense pressure to "streamline" the ticket ordering process, was it a conscious decision by manager and band, looking at the seeming success of the operation from a perspective of Across the Pond, or did they know it and realized they had no choice?

Time will tell. What I am hoping is that this--converting the database to online--will be the hard part. I am hoping FanFire has been contacted by the band and that thus they know that there WILL be a "different" ordering prcoess for Prop than other FanFire transactions. I am hoping that a system is or will be place, once the database is completed, to "number" it just as the snail Prop was, codes nonwithstanding, and that we will get the online equivalent of "order forms." for the tix. (This is how Prop members would be different from the others--or so we kept being told we are.) That is, maybe the database would be divided up into 3 or 4 or 5 parts (say, the 1's through the 5's, the 6's through the 10's, etc) and each "batch" of individual emails sent out over the course of 4 or 5 days, to spread out the time length of the process and thus prevent traffic from cresting like on Thurs/Fri. And the respondant would be given 24 or 48 hrs to email back with the "order".--Ticketmaster's notorious "5 minute" window" extended to 1 or 2 days.

One can dream, can't one? But it won't happen...I have no experience in how to run a ticket sale, and I think this makes more sense than haivng ONE page and everyone crashing at once...can't wait to see how they run this.

Or maybe I can.

:mad:

So as you deal with the geniuses at this our new home, remember all this, amd prepare for the nightmare that lies ahead. ON the bright side, maybe the frustration lead to fewer orders online--and more so for people like me:)

Thanks for reading what must surely be one of the longer posts in Interference's annals:)

Last edited:
PS. HelloAngel--

I'd like as many people as possible to read this...if you could move it into whatever the "hot" thread is on this topic, and let me know what it is...I'd be grateful.

And let people know what thread and where it was transferred to?

Thanks

Last edited:
I can confirm -- sadly -- Teta's experience with the "not really a fan club" that we seem to be stuck with.

After trying again today, I now have a seventh "free" account (if you don't/can't finish the checkout process, the username is shunted into the free section). None of these seven accounts work. Not one of them will log me in to U2.com, for the Zootopia boards or anything else. If the login is successful, a "Hello Hello ____" message displays at the top of the page. All seven of mine either just reload the main page or send me to a variety of error messages.

While online, I used my cellphone to call Customer No Service. Twice. Both times, I was hung up on. After getting offline, I used my "real" phone to try again. I got exactly what Teta describes above, a call center employee reading a canned response off a sheet of paper. No one at FanFire knows anything concrete, no one there can help with anything. Today, they were blaming it all on U2.com's webmaster, referring all problems to his email. "You'll have to go on the site and email the webmaster." "We can't do anything about it, you'll have to email the webmaster." With this first call, I asked three separate times to speak to a supervisor. Twice, I was put on hold, and then the no-help came back and basically repeated the webmaster portion of her tipsheet. After the third time with no help in the offing, I hung up on her, and called back. The next no-help person, when asked, immediately said "Sure" and transferred the call to someone who identified herself as the "Supervisor Lead". She also reiterated the party line of "You'll have to email the webmaster, we can't do anything about it." I asked if, since they know there are massive problems going on, then why haven't they (meaning Fanfire) taken down the site until it can be fixed? I kid you not, she told me that they couldn't do anything about it, that it was "their" fault, and that I would have to email the webmaster. I stressed to her as I have to the rest of Fanfire's staff that this is a common problem, affecting most (all?) of the people trying to sign up, that it is being discussed in an extremely negative manner on various U2 fansites, and, bluntly, that they're pissing off the core fans that make up such fanclubs. The "supervisors" response? "Well, I'm sorry YOU feel that way." And then she hung up on me.

Unless I hear back from this all-knowing webmaster, unless something drastic happens to clean up this mess, this will sadly be the end of me and Propaganda. I can't possibly see trusting a hundred bucks or more to these morons for tickets, when I can't even get them to take my twenty dollar membership fee. As is, I'll wait the extra few days and take my chances with Ticketmaster.

Someone (Ewen, I think?) mentioned having a contact at Principle Management. PLEASE let them know about this disaster in the making. The world's greatest band and fans deserve a whole lot better...

C.

Hey! It gets worse. I went to Zootopia to post a message as "Anonymous User" (they let anyone, member or not, on the boards, apparently). The site welcomed me as "Chris12". Problem? I never, never use name/numbers. If I can't be "Chris" or "ChrisC" or some variation, I go to nicknames, song references or whatever. I have *never* used "Chris#" as a username anywhere. I have no idea who "Chris12" is, but the site thinks I'm him, welcomed me, and let me post under his username.

C.

Well i got into it today and it worked almost imediately. Although it didnt accept my card nr directly. But i got some e-mails that confirmed my membership. Anyway its purely for some easy tickets, so that i dont have to sleep on the street for it.

Well i hope noone else gets in with my account, that really would suck. I cant believe it when that will be the case, how professional. Luckily my profile doesnt tell my creditcard data!

Last edited:
slapshot said:
Hey! It gets worse. I went to Zootopia to post a message as "Anonymous User" (they let anyone, member or not, on the boards, apparently). The site welcomed me as "Chris12". Problem? I never, never use name/numbers. If I can't be "Chris" or "ChrisC" or some variation, I go to nicknames, song references or whatever. I have *never* used "Chris#" as a username anywhere. I have no idea who "Chris12" is, but the site thinks I'm him, welcomed me, and let me post under his username.

C.

Slapshot, I've posted this quite a few time already. It doesn't matter whether or not you finish the process to get the subscription.

Once again:

1. Login to U2.com using one of the many free usernames you now have, (the one you really wanted.). You should have gotten an email address welcoming you each time you registered a name with the username & password (it's all the way at the bottom of the email) so you should at least be able to login using one of these (prefably the one you really wanted).

2) Once you are in U2.com (the free site) press "subscribe". This buttom is located to the right of U2shop, underneath "Larry" in the top banner.

This will take you to the page to subscribe the "free" username you are logged on with. Once you press "subscribe" you will be taken to the page where you can buy the subscription, put in your propaganda code etc.

And that's it.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they have to create a whole new username just because they can't finish the subscription after they register.

All I want is my bloody $20 Propaganda discount. I've called, I've e-mailed, and absolutely no good from any of it.

And what I find particularly irritating is that they can't "find me in the system" yet I still have a copy of Terri Panaro's e-mail in my inbox which I received last year in which she says that my new address has been entered and also gives me my Propaganda membership number which she asks I quote in subsequent queeries.

And yet I don't exist as a Prop member. WTF?

I did it! I bought the $20 subscription after 4 days of trying. Using MacOSX(Safari) I was able to enter my Prop and credit card info today. Then, I got a congratulations and Click Here message. When I clicked, I was sent back to U2's home page where I usually wind up after unsuccessful attempts. I was worried, but then I got 2 official looking e-mails with order # and coupon code. I'm psyched! Onward to the computer battle for actual tickets!

ramblin rose said:

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they have to create a whole new username just because they can't finish the subscription after they register.

I wasn't creating new usernames because of the subscription trouble, I didn't KNOW I was creating new ones. The site kept telling me that the name I had chosen was taken, and I had to pick another. Then I get the six emails showing that none of those names were actually taken, and all are registered to me now.

I still say they should take the site down, fix it, and start over...

C.

slapshot said:

Someone (Ewen, I think?) mentioned having a contact at Principle Management. PLEASE let them know about this disaster in the making. The world's greatest band and fans deserve a whole lot better...

C.

yeah snapshot it was me.....

i sent her, my P.M. contact, an email about half an hour ago hilighting the many bugs and concerns that I've managed to colate. she's VERY close to the actual members of U2 so these comments are going all the way to the top.

here's maybe a new site bug for you...i can't subscribe because "The payment request for this credit card was declined by the processor"

my computer was almost at the point of going through my window!!

anybody experienced that one??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom