(07-18-2005) Rare Live Recordings May Soon Be Available to the Public -- Dose*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/images/catalog/detail/ZZZ008123-VP.jpg[/SIMG]
Rare Live Recordings May Soon Be Available to the Public

Ed. Note: U2 items available from Wolfgang's Vault include live photos dating back to 1981, backstage passes and souvenirs from Live Aid and The Conspiracy of Hope Tour. Prices for these rare items range from $24 for ticket stubs to $1,000 for a photograph of Bono performing at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza in Nov. 1987.

Heather Adler
Dose

Up to 100,000 recordings of such rock legends as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Madonna, Elton John and Elvis Costello—the world’s largest independent rock/pop archive—might soon be opened to the world for the first time.

The video and audio recordings, captured by U.S. concert promoter Bill Graham, sat in a San Francisco basement for more than 10 years after Graham's death. But now, Bill Sagan has bought the collection and is negotiating with the musicians for permission to release their lost works, the U.K. Times reports.

The music lover's wet dream of a collection is said to include video of the final 1978 Sex Pistols show and the legendary Who performance of 1973, during which drummer Keith Moon collapsed and a kid from the crowd was chosen to drum for the rest of the show. There are also clips of Joe Cocker puking on stage, Madonna smacking herself in the face with her ridiculously big necklaces, Elton John singing "Your Song" and Led Zeppelin playing "Howlin' Wolf's Killing Floor," an early version of "The Lemon Song." Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Marley, Chuck Berry, Frank Zappa, Johnny Cash, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Nirvana, U2, Neil Young, The Doors and Bob Dylan are among the dozens of others who pop up in the collection.

Sagan, a Zeppelin fan from Minnesota, obtained the collection from Graham's heirs for about $5.9 million, beating Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen out of the deal. The collection is estimated to actually be worth about $103 million.

You can purchase select items from the collection, including authentic, vintage T-shirts, ties, handbills, posters, photos and ticket stubs, at www.wolfgangsvault.com. Sagan has also given fans a taste of his most prized bounty, the music recordings, via his online radio station, available for streaming on the same website.

ZZZ008123-VP.jpg

This print is available from Wolfgang's Vault for $300.

But should he secure permission from the artists, fans could very soon be taking home a slice of the rarest, most sought after recordings created in the past 30 years. The Times reports even Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin has commented that he's eager to see what the archive contains.

Last edited:
I discovered the vault radio stream the other day and was quite tickled. They currently don't have any live U2 playing :( but the playlist changes every Tuesday. Right now it's mostly rock acts from the 60's and early 70's.

Man, from all accounts Bill Graham was a fucking wanker, but what a treasure to leave for the world's music fans :ohmy:

Site is very cool!

Bill might have been a wanker to alot of folks but for some of us in the SF Bay Area, he was a local hero and a damn cool guy. I grew up going to a ton of Bill Graham Presents shows in my teens and twenties. He brought a lot of great music to San Francisco and pretty much single-handedly made the free U2 show here in 1987 happen (for which I'll be eternally grateful). Rock on Bill!

That site is cool. The shirts and posters would be great to have. As far as the recordings go, let's not fool ourselves in thinking we will see any U2 shows becoming available. They already have every show they've ever performed locked away in their own vault courtesy of Joe O'Herlihy (sp?). With them (the band) being so picky as to what they release I don't see them letting any of these Wolfgang recordings out. The only people hearing these U2 recordings will be the guy who bought them and his friends. But we can dream can't we?

Damn! Awesome collection and awesome thing Sagan is doing "sharing" it all! Even if U2 doesn't agree to share what's theirs, the rest of the stuff is priceless!

Would there be UF tour footage in the collection? There should also be some footage from the 86 Amnesty shows(Did BGP do all of them?)

u2fp

I bought some very nice U2 memorabilia from Wolfgang's Vault several months ago and would definitely recommend people buying what they are able to from this site.

But I really can't wait until they release some of those U2 concerts! :hyper:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom