(02-24-2003) Caring For Bono - Jam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.canoe.ca/

Caring for Bono
Fellow stars, musicians pay tribute to singer at New York fete
By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun

NEW YORK -- Because Bono cares, so does MusiCares.

That was the sentiment last night at a star-studded tribute to U2 frontman Bono, the 42-year-old rock star and humanitarian who was named the 2003 MusiCares person of the year.

"I've been hanging out in a lot of very, very unhip company trying to do the political work that I do -- business people, congressman, and politicians -- but this is my own tribe," said the Irish singer decked out in a grey suit and shirt on the red carpet and one of the last to arrive at his own party.

"In truth, I feel more comfortable here and it's a very big compliment to have in New York City."

The celebration drew a who's who from the worlds of music, modelling and movies to a special dinner, concert and silent auction at the Marriott Marquis in mid-town Manhattan.

Among those making the scene were fellow musicmakers Michael Stipe and Mike Mills of R.E.M., No Doubt, Sheryl Crow, the Dixie Chicks, Moby, Garbage, Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, Mary J. Blige, Melissa Etheridge, Patti LaBelle, Fred Durst, Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, John Mayer, Tony Bennett, Isaac Hayes, Wynonna Judd, and B.B. King.

"I'm more proud of him for the music that he does because I know how difficult that is but speaking out about things you feel strongly about is also not easy and particularly if you're a celebrity," said Stipe. "It's like shooting fish in a barrel to castigate a public figure for having a political opinion. I've been pretty outspoken myself and taken a few shots but I'm really proud of him for speaking out about things that he feels strongly about, particularly AIDS in Africa."

Among Bono's pet causes over the years have been Amnesty International, Greenpeace and the Burma Action Campaign.

More recently, he became involved in the International Jubilee Drop The Debt campaign, and focusing media attention on debt, poverty and AIDS in Africa.

"I just think he sort of leads the path for all people in this industry to have the courage to stand up for causes and things they want to do," said Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines. "I think a lot of times that industry people are afraid to lose fans by taking a strong political stand. I think it's important to step outside of your career and who you are as a celebrity and be a person and have opinions and to follow those. He's just an amazing person, I think, aside from his musicianship."

Among the well-known actors on the red carpet were Robert DeNiro, Ed Burns, Christian Slater, Ashley Judd, and Kim Cattrall.

"We've all been U2 minions who are going on 20 years now and the music means a lot to us, but this is a chance to honour Bono not just for his music but for the way in which he lives his life," said Judd. "Gandhi said 'My life is my message,' and I think Bono's the same. Go to the pub, hang out with your mates, be true and change the world."

Rounding out the celebrity quotient were runway stars Christy Turlington, Helena Christianson, and Naomi Campbell, along with racecar driver Dario Franchetti and boxer Evander Holyfield.

On top of the accolades he received last night, Bono was just short-listed for the Nobel Peace Prize.

"It's just a huge honour to be even mentioned on the same list as people like Pope John Paul -- that's just, if you're an Irish person,that's hard to even imagine," said Bono. "I think it's just people are respecting not so much my own work but the work of the organizations I represent like DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa), Drop The Debt, Jubilee 2000, and I think, in that sense, it's a real great thing to be on that list."

Back
Top Bottom