(02-08-2006) U2 Night at the Grammys! - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leave it to U2 fans to pick up on the subtle things! Yes, I too felt something was off, I was hoping the other band members weren't angry with his other work or anything, but it is possible people were criticizing them for their popularity. Anyway, I'm SO happy :hyper: :dance: :love:

You know that phrase "You can't please all the people all the time"...but U2 pleases their fans all the time.

I'm so glad they beat out the other nominees in their catagory - they deserved it more than anyone :yes:

It occurred to me for just a moment at the end of all that excitement last night that, after all the second guessing, Adam and Larry should take an extra bow for the simple but difficult message they delivered a year before the album's release:

"We're not there yet."

Major kudos to all the guys. Validation is a very very good feeling, no matter what business you're in.

:larry: :adam: :heart: :bono: :edge:

My take on his comments were that they totally made sense to him in his head and just came out obtuse when he was rushed to say stuff at the podium. And the "elephant dirt" thing...well, I think he was trying not to say "shit". Remember all the flack he got for saying "f&ck" a few years ago? Maybe he thought getting in trouble for cursing would undermine all the work he's been doing lately--particularly with stuffy politicians.

Or maybe he's just really, really tired. I mean, with all the public appearances--when does the guy sleep??

jojo100 said:

Or maybe he's just really, really tired. I mean, with all the public appearances--when does the guy sleep??

4 hours a night, according to Rolling Stone.

This should certainly give the Bomb the sales boost it deserves.

HelloAngel said:
I totally understood the circus analogy. :shrug:

i thought it was a reference to the entertainment industry and everyone has their job even the clean up crew...and ALL the jobs are important ones.

Bono was gracious as ever and his notes about each nominee were awesome...even on the way up to the podium for aoty, he stopped and hugged Kanye. Mariah does sing like an angel, just wish she didn't hit the slutty road that she did for awhile. it's hard to come back from that. And Gwen., well she is the queen of the new millenium divas.

Loved Billie's note to Pop radio stations...thanks for playing rock and roll~

ONE was amazing, even better than the katrina version...eother Mary was more in to it or practice or something...it was a goose bumper!

I LOVED the description of HTDAAB....the fact that his dad was the dismantling and outcame this album...I also appreciated the thought that "maybe tonight, it's time to let go" Please do Bono...although it doesn't appear you have many fond memeories of your dad...he gave you voice and attitude which ALL your fans aprreciate your father for.

jojo100 said:
HelloAngel--wanna explain the circus analogy?

Sure... this was my take on it.

Bono has alluded to being in a rock and roll band is like being in a circus. Or a travelling circus. And it's true. RNR is one big, crazy, silly, circus with many people involved that keep it moving.

My take was that Bono, when referencing dealing with "elephant dirt" is that U2 has also had to shovel their share of elephant dirt, meaning they've had to deal with their share of shit, had to do unpleasant things in order to succeed, do things they don't want to do (who wants to shovel shit? it stinks!) and that you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how I took it. :shrug:

Karros said:
Am I the only one who feels that Bono was angry or upset about something. He just didn't seem like his normal self. I thought he drunk at first, but......I don't know something was off....

I think your first guess was correct :drunk:

From my local paper:

Wineglass in hand, U2 lead singer Bono confessed that he already had started celebrating the band's triumph.

"The slowness of speech is a clue," he said.

HelloAngel said:

Bono has alluded to being in a rock and roll band is like being in a circus. Or a travelling circus. And it's true. RNR is one big, crazy, silly, circus with many people involved that keep it moving.

My take was that Bono, when referencing dealing with "elephant dirt" is that U2 has also had to shovel their share of elephant dirt, meaning they've had to deal with their share of shit, had to do unpleasant things in order to succeed, do things they don't want to do (who wants to shovel shit? it stinks!) and that you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how I took it. :shrug:

Angel, I took it the same way too. Well put!

:heart: Congrats to our boys!!!! :heart:

Yeah. That makes sense. I figured rock n roll (or the music industry) was the circus, but I wasn't sure who the clown or the shit sweepers were..lol

I just think if he had a little more time to speak, it wouldn't have come out as cryptic.

HelloAngel said:

:wink: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I interpreted it as if he were saying that it's worth it to be involved in rock and roll, no matter if you're the big star or the one at the bottom of the ladder. I honestly didn't see anything strange about it. It was a very Bono thing to say.

It sort of cracked me up how he seemd to be going through a list of words in his mind trying to think of one that wouldn't be offensive. :angel:

I think that if he were drunk he would have talked alot more. I'm thinkning that either he's on anxiety medication or he has decided to (or been told to) talk less on TV and control his tongue after the FCC thing. :shrug: He seemed to be acting the same way on Conan O'Brien. I noticed something then, too, like he's more subdued than he used to be. I don't really like it. It kind of depresses me to see him not being his spunky self. I hope he's not depressed.

GaleonGirl posted this link in another thread:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ...ards/index.html

Close to 6 minute interview video footage on CNN after the awards. Thanks GG!

default_30022_1.jpg

Last edited:
I only caught them accepting two of the five (?) awards they won. I will admit that overall the show was pretty boring so I was in and out of the room alot. How many awards did they accept on stage? Also, did anyone notice that Larry was up to the mike and about to speak during the final award for HTDAAB but the music cut in and the speaker came on to talk about Katrina? I was so sad for Larry!

Karros said:
Am I the only one who feels that Bono was angry or upset about something. He just didn't seem like his normal self. I thought he drunk at first, but......I don't know something was off....

I agree. Then I read this morning that they weren't serving alcohol at Staples Center during the broadcast. Doesn't mean he wasn't having a nip o' the whisky in his seat though. I thought the same thing. But anyhow, yeah for them!!! And icing on the cake was that Mariah didn't get any on tv awards :hyper:

grammys

"Our boys" could do no wrong, what a night!!! Are they any photos of them enjoying the party afterwards?? If so, can someone please post a link!

I also had no idea that Bono's dad was causing him so much contemplation and grief. What did you think of his response of letting it be now??

WhiteSox said:
I also had no idea that Bono's dad was causing him so much contemplation and grief. What did you think of his response of letting it be now??

It touched my heart and made me shed a t ear. The whole album was a work in progress for him and what better outlet than the creativity of songwriting and performing music to people who love it so much?!! I feel so sad he lost his father, but I also am so happy for him that he's worked things out. I know Bob would be so proud!

U2 being interviewed at the Grammys by an Irish DJ, Gerry Ryan:

http: //www.rte.ie/ 2fm/ r yanshow/interviews.html

ENJOY

hey everyone!
no drink i don't think...
nah, they were all just nervous...adam twitching the ring around his finger like he was ready to yank it off. bono fumbling like he does sometimes in front of large crowds of peers
he is amazing one on one and that is why he does so well with the politicians and interviewers, even fans because he does treat us as one...

when it comes to the grammy's and being in front of your peers...NOT EASY!! He looked more like a man, a band leader hoping that everyone in the industry believes they deserved the award.

I don't mind the drink, but that wasn't the case last night. I think it was a normal nerve.
What i don't like is the white powder folks that were in attendance. do we remember some bono speeches in the early days ( 84 or so ) that the teeth were gritting a bit too much and the pupils were a little dialated?
Remeber the bloated amnesty international days? the Jesus days of Sun City? Not implying anyhting please note...

Interesting when Bad was released... timing wise for me personally. so i am not in judgement here.

We all have our bad times...that song rescued me i don't know about the rest of you...
i was 21 when that album came out and the lyrics helped me let go of a bad phase of my life.

Congrats to the band i saw as a teen in 1979 and wait every moment for another ride~

I was watching the program off and on myself........but did appear Bono was a little nervous about something....nonetheless........U2 are great and deserve the awards............:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom