San Jose #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nah. If I'm pushing 60 and playing 20+ songs a night for 2+ hours, that's a pretty good accomplishment. It's certainly not a Prince or Soundgarden fan's position here in the end.

Nah. If I'm pushing 60 and playing 20+ songs a night for 2+ hours, that's a pretty good accomplishment. It's certainly not a Prince or Soundgarden fan's position here in the end.

Eh. I don't want to be a downer, because I did have a great time, but only changing one song if not lazy, is definitely lame.

Eh. I don't want to be a downer, because I did have a great time, but only changing one song if not lazy, is definitely lame.

Well, for the few of us who actually attend two gigs in a row or try to read was played each night, it might be. But even when they do change something, the talk goes to why it's the wrong thing or how this should have been changed for this-or-that instead anyway. So as long as they're playing shows, it'll always be something.

At least there's still shows at this point for four 50-something guys, you know?

Y'all catch the Miracle remix(?) once the concert ended? I liked that better than playing someone else's song.
The Talking Heads song that played before Miracle on night one was because Jerry Harrison was there. I think other than that, the remix has been the outro music for the other shows so far.

I know U2 is U2 and they are trying to make their shows perfect like a Broadways show or movie would be... they aren't trying to please the super fans that see them 5 times.

However, I just want to know the thought process on how they pick the songs. Obviously it's not random. What are the calculations. And then when do they decide these 60 songs are all we can play this tour, then they mostly only play 35 of them... how do they decide which slot and songs get moved around.

I'm just always been fascinated with the behind the scenes of it all. We all know 90% of the show is locked as they go... it's that 10% that just can't figure out.

And the things that are locked, do they debate which song to remix and play acoustic? Is that all The Edge and Larry? I assumed some of it is to give themselves a rest, etc.

Sure I want HORSES every night, but I know it wasn't giong to happen. I just hope it's still on the maybe list songs.

Tuesday (and even Monday) night's show was the MOST energy I've felt at a U2 show in 13 years. 360...Greatest Hits festival, I&E Tour...blah energy from the crowd...same deal for TJT 2017 Tour...just blah energy from the crowd. Not sure what flipped the switch these two shows but it was 'lit'!

The band seemed to be more into what they were doing, and not just painting by numbers. Even though a lot of people didn't recognize the new songs, when they played Red Flag Day it went off! The crowd ovation after the song was reminiscent of the time the played Kite for the first time (I was at that show too).

Hoping the crowd energy level continues to match their inspired playing...:yes:...from here on out!

Tuesday (and even Monday) night's show was the MOST energy I've felt at a U2 show in 13 years. 360...Greatest Hits festival, I&E Tour...blah energy from the crowd...same deal for TJT 2017 Tour...just blah energy from the crowd. Not sure what flipped the switch these two shows but it was 'lit'!

The band seemed to be more into what they were doing, and not just painting by numbers. Even though a lot of people didn't recognize the new songs, when they played Red Flag Day it went off! The crowd ovation after the song was reminiscent of the time the played Kite for the first time (I was at that show too).

Hoping the crowd energy level continues to match their inspired playing...:yes:...from here on out!

I have to agree. I have been watching videos and the crowd really seemed good, especially the SJ shows. Lots of singing along to Raised by Wolves and some other newer ones which surprised me.
I felt the same way about 360. It was my first U2 show that it just felt blah from the crowd.

I have to agree. I have been watching videos and the crowd really seemed good, especially the SJ shows. Lots of singing along to Raised by Wolves and some other newer ones which surprised me.
I felt the same way about 360. It was my first U2 show that it just felt blah from the crowd.

OK, so it wasn't just me. I was so disappointed in the 360 show I saw in 2011. I took my kids for the first time (and they LOVED the show) and I just thought it was kind of a miming to their biggest hits. I&E Tour was just a strange experience, and TJT Tour seemed kind of tired to me.

I think some of it has to do with the age of the crowd (and c'mon San Jose is a tech crowd dripping with $$) but also it feels like the last few times I've seen U2 there they are cruise control, so I couldn't have been more excited to see the crowd response and the band feeding off that energy.

Makes me hopeful for future shows...:yes:

However, I just want to know the thought process on how they pick the songs. Obviously it's not random. What are the calculations. And then when do they decide these 60 songs are all we can play this tour, then they mostly only play 35 of them... how do they decide which slot and songs get moved around.

I'm just always been fascinated with the behind the scenes of it all. We all know 90% of the show is locked as they go... it's that 10% that just can't figure out.

For the first part of it, I'm guessing it comes down to a bunch of things...

What songs off the new album do we want to play?
What songs haven't we played in awhile?
What are some of the popular songs or ones we played on the last tour that we feel can fit in with this one?

Then eventually, it comes down to a few other things and the list gets a bit shorter...

Do I remember how to play this? Does it sound okay?
Can Bono's voice do it justice? If not, can we change the key for it? Does it sound good then?
Will this come across alright in a live setting? Will people enjoy seeing it?
Do we enjoy playing it?

I'm guessing the set order and slots where stuff gets moved around gets going as time goes along too. It's not like they just wing it, so it's probably very deliberate in terms of where a song "sounds right" in a set, how it goes with where they are on the stage and what the crew is doing or showing on screen, etc.

100% Agree. Like I said before, I never got to go to any of the Vertigo shows, but Tuesday felt like what I've heard about. Every member of the band was having fun, Bono seemed to be in a great mood (as opposed to the pretty much sulking on JT30). It was a fucking blast.

100% Agree. Like I said before, I never got to go to any of the Vertigo shows, but Tuesday felt like what I've heard about. Every member of the band was having fun, Bono seemed to be in a great mood (as opposed to the pretty much sulking on JT30). It was a fucking blast.

TK, you missed the ultimate show in 2001, San Jose when it was the Compaq Center...the debut of Kite and Stay (first Zooropa song played in the US of A). That night was, is, legendary. The crowd response/energy was off the charts, and I remember reading Willie Williams Elevation Tour Diary (on U2.com) and he wrote that Bono stated it was the best show of their career.

I've seen some amazing U2 shows in my fandom (Good Friday 1987, LA\Halloween '92) but this show was transcendent and may never be matched...that said, Mon/Tuesday were closer to that show than any other U2 show I've seen in the past 17 years... :D

TK, you missed the ultimate show in 2001, San Jose when it was the Compaq Center...the debut of Kite and Stay (first Zooropa song played in the US of A). That night was, is, legendary. The crowd response/energy was off the charts, and I remember reading Willie Williams Elevation Tour Diary (on U2.com) and he wrote that Bono stated it was the best show of their career.

I've seen some amazing U2 shows in my fandom (Good Friday 1987, LA\Halloween '92) but this show was transcendent and may never be matched...that said, Mon/Tuesday were closer to that show than any other U2 show I've seen in the past 17 years... :D

Damn, that sounds incredible. Stay is tied for my favorite U2 song too.

I'll just keep telling myself that I was only 9 years old and didn't live in California at the time as my excuse hehe :D

You would think kite would fit the experience narrative part of the show given it was dedicated to the relationship with Bono’s father and his passing away. So far it’s all been about his mother. I know Bono can’t play the guitar due to his accident but I’m sure someone can play beneath the stage if they feel it’s absolutely necessary. It’s one of their all time great songs and it should be played nightly.

Last edited:
I’d wager Kite would even garner a positive reaction from (fuck) the casuals.

For the first part of it, I'm guessing it comes down to a bunch of things...

What songs off the new album do we want to play?
What songs haven't we played in awhile?
What are some of the popular songs or ones we played on the last tour that we feel can fit in with this one?

Then eventually, it comes down to a few other things and the list gets a bit shorter...

Do I remember how to play this? Does it sound okay?
Can Bono's voice do it justice? If not, can we change the key for it? Does it sound good then?
Will this come across alright in a live setting? Will people enjoy seeing it?
Do we enjoy playing it?

I'm guessing the set order and slots where stuff gets moved around gets going as time goes along too. It's not like they just wing it, so it's probably very deliberate in terms of where a song "sounds right" in a set, how it goes with where they are on the stage and what the crew is doing or showing on screen, etc.

Do they choose the songs and build a narrative around them, or do they choose a narrative and slot the appropriate songs in? That's my question.

There’s a Sympathy for the Devil snip in the middle of Until the end of the World.
I’m listening to the recording right now.

It’s not on the recap here or on u2gigs’ site/twitter or on atu2’s twitter timeline during the show.

He whispered it. I didn’t even catch it when I was there.

I'm pretty sure the theme of those shows was "LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS STAGE!"

Haha yep! They tried to do a half added space theme tie in, but it didn’t really work. That was my problem with that tour... they had this giant stage but it didn’t really do anything.

There’s a Sympathy for the Devil snip in the middle of Until the end of the World.
I’m listening to the recording right now.

It’s not on the recap here or on u2gigs’ site/twitter or on atu2’s twitter timeline during the show.

He whispered it. I didn’t even catch it when I was there.

Got a link? I can only find night one's UTEOTW on YouTube.

Though I'm willing to take your word for it. Before the snippet of Ginsberg's America?

Back
Top Bottom