This is NOT what we wanted - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #106
The Fly

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpsreports2442 View Post
Starting this tour's shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday, tuned farther down to compensate bono's voice- may I add, is the laziest idea they've ever pursued.

IT'S THE JT TOUR! Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited, and move those songs to the middle of the JT album set so they don't bore non-hardcores with Exit and Trip.

This might possibly be the most uncreative thing the guys have ever done on tour.

There, I said it.

And yes I'll still be attending

Most acts their age focus on their classic material. U2s last few albums haven't been that well received. I don't care to hear anything from their last half dozen albums. It is what it is.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited
You know what else got the crowd excited in Vancouver and Seattle? Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I love that someone is bitching this hard about the tour after the first show. Oy.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Positive things:

1. The Setlist:

ASOH !!!!!!! safsfsdfdafgsgasd !! holy fuck,
I mean , if you would have said that U2 would play EXIT , ASHOH, One Tree Hill on a nightly fucking basis a few years ago everyone would've laughed at you and look at this now?!

2. They've ditched the meerkat thing, and no more attention whores on the stage.
Hopefully JUST musicians if does happen. because that's where there's a real connection -most- of the time.

3. They are doing their best to rework older songs like BD into a fresh thing and that is good. They play SBS electric insead of acoustic, and it works great as an opener. The roar in the crowd when Larry starts that drumbeat, and later on when Edge kicks into that solo, perfect. SBS why not.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #109
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domo-kun View Post
Positive things:

2. ....and no more attention whores on the stage.
Hopefully JUST musicians if does happen. because that's where there's a real connection -most- of the time.
Amen to this^...male or female
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Yep, really looking forward to seeing it live.
Yeah, Exit sounded truly phenomenal.

I said it before, but they really nail the entire album with one exception. Red Hill Mining Town just drags and drags with that arrangement. You could really feel the excitement leaving the place and the novelty of hearing it is the only thing it really has going for it.

It really is a killer setlist throughout and the encore is obviously a different sort of curveball although very well thought out. But, I mean, what kind of a U2 fan could complain at all about Sunday Bloody Sunday through Mothers? That's just a huge run of gold.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domo-kun View Post
PI mean , if you would have said that U2 would play EXIT , ASHOH, One Tree Hill on a nightly fucking basis a few years ago everyone would've laughed at you and look at this now?!
So would the idea of promoting a 30 year old album in lieu of more than one new song.

I love those 3 songs, but I'd never pick them over hearing a new album/new album tour.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #112
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
You know what else got the crowd excited in Vancouver and Seattle? Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I love that someone is bitching this hard about the tour after the first show. Oy.
It takes A LOT for me to come back on this forum after 10 years- 8 pages later, I can see that some feel the same sentiment as I do.

You don't have to be a hardcore fan to realize this tour was rushed
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #113
Acrobat

Quote:
It takes A LOT for me to come back on this forum after 10 years- 8 pages later, I can see that some feel the same sentiment as I do.

Coriander is right. SBS was a great opener, at least at the Seattle show which is the one I attended.

As for the tour being rushed... none of us really know. For all we know they had this in their plans going back to right after I+E ended and they were struggling with the SOE material. Then along comes the election result and Trump becomes a convenient, if lame, excuse to take the JT show on the road.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

Hey, if it turns out the band isn't in love with this concept, maybe it will be a nice reminder to them next time they decide to delay an album. ;-)

There is still a shit-ton in the show to enjoy. And nothing wrong with the opening.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:

But you were speaking for all of us, yet only one agreed?

Have you ever seen any other tour opening? U2 are always a little rough around the edges when starting. So no, no one outside a few feel like this tour was rushed.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2FloridaFan View Post
Amen to this^...male or female
A double amen to this.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #117
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Yeah, good god, listen to some of those early Vertigo shows. They couldn't even get their heads around the setlist. Clearly that tour was rushed too, and nobody was on board.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah, good god, listen to some of those early Vertigo shows. They couldn't even get their heads around the setlist. Clearly that tour was rushed too, and nobody was on board.
Except for Larry. He was fully on board then.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #119
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But you were speaking for all of us, yet only one agreed?

Have you ever seen any other tour opening? U2 are always a little rough around the edges when starting. So no, no one outside a few feel like this tour was rushed.
I never once stated the band sounded bad; I simply stated that the opening of the show didn't look that great. More than 1 person has agreed, and many people will agree to disagree, just an opinion based on my experience seeing U2 and other acts.

They can play anything they want to start the beginning- why a tuned down and less-attitude driven version of SBS? I will never know
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #120
The Fly

Local Time: 01:51 PM
I'm really itching already to her some more rotation in the set,although it's great at this moment. I'd love them to throw Until The End Of The World in there, that won't dwindle any energy!