**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread - Page 72 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #1066
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
It'll be disappointing if the set ends up as 21 songs. I'm hoping they're just hiding a few things
Maybe the first few concerts will be shorter, and another song or two will show up by the time they make it to Chicago or New York or Europe.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #1067
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
In terms of knowing lyrics in general during a show, neither can a lot of singers around or over his age. I saw Sting over a month ago and he was relying on an ipad or some sort of tablet set down behind a speaker in front of him for a lot of the show. Ric Ocasek had a stand set up for one when I saw The Cars in 2011. Springsteen is known to have a set-up as well.

It was a joke based in truth, but I'll add I've seen Springsteen from behind the stage and every member of the band had a teleprompter.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #1068
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimearodriguez View Post
Haven't learned from the bloodbath democrats took in November huh? Again, finger pointing and calling us Trump voters 'bible bashing rednecks'.

Im a 30 year old, MBA educated Hispanic American who makes a very good living and a U2+ Trump supporter. take it easy with the name calling.

And to bring this back to U2, yes I loved that Desire version. Until the rant. But Desire is always welcome.

Then you would think you'd know the definition of 'bloodbath'
Old 05-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #1069
The Fly

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
This should be added to the pledge of allegiance

::Slowly steps back to FYM::
It depends on the strength of the song. Perhaps it's a thematic choice with the band leaving every show with a hint of what is to come.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #1070
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:11 PM
New thread:

SPOILERS - Vancouver Rehearsals Part 2

SPOILERS - Vancouver Rehearsals Part 2

We are well over 1000 posts.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #1071
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
It was a joke based in truth, but I'll add I've seen Springsteen from behind the stage and every member of the band had a teleprompter.
Yeah, I knew your intention there. Just making a comment for those that think memorizing 30 to 40-year-old poems is easy on the brain at that age.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #1072
Refugee

It is odd that opening night may be only 21 songs. On the other hand, 360's opening night was 22 songs.

I think the encore looks pretty final, but the opening run of songs could use a few more. The one thing we know for sure is that setlists get longer as the tour goes on, so look for them to add 2-3 songs before JT and maybe another song in the encore. Makes me glad DC is at the tail end of this leg, but hoping all you people on the West Coast get more songs!
Old 05-08-2017, 01:09 AM   #1073
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I've seen a number of full album shows by now, and listened to even more full album show bootlegs... and not a single one of them did the pre and post album sections chronologically‚Äč, and not a one felt odd because of that.
True. Caught The Zombies a few weeks back and the first half was pre-Odessey material mixed in with some newer stuff and performed solely by the current four piece, then the second half was the Odessey and Oracle album in full performed by the four surviving members with help (given the complexity of the record). Brian Wilson live last fall was also similar...

But it's also not too weird given that they're only playing like 7-8 songs leading into the Joshua Tree set. I agree that they shouldn't be afraid to jumble them up. ASOH for example should probably be the opener for example rather than appear so close to Streets, etc.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:14 AM   #1074
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by topplehatU2 View Post
Closing with a new song is kind of odd to me. Opening an encore with a new song after playing JT in full would be better placement I think.
I'll chime in before this thread dies. This discussion has come up fairly often later and pretty much every fan is in agreement with you...the perfect place for the new song is the start of the encore because the crowd will be really energized to see the band get back on the stage and they can always just hop into, say, Beautiful Day right after its played.

Towards the end of the night is just going to put too much pressure on it...and ending the show with it is just kind of crazy since practically the entire audience will be trying to decipher the tune and wonder if they like it...better to go out with a classic track or closing ditty "40".

I think they are just hiding this new song towards the end of rehearsals so it doesn't sneak out there. I also get the feeling they know how to play it pretty well already. It's clearly got Steve Lillywhite's fingerprints all over it in my opinion, sounds like it could have been on War.

Tags
2017, bc place, rehearsal, the joshua tree, tour, u2, vancouver