*Spoilers* - Rehearsals in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um no actually, what he said was this:

I see precisely nowhere where he says that Cedarwood Road is "just a folk song and should be played as such". He says that he prefers the acoustic arrangement over the electric one and doesn't like the riff.

Even if he did say exactly what you posted, who the fuck cares? It's his opinion of the song, what the hell gives you the right to say he's not entitled to prefer one version of a song over another? When did thavidesco forfeit the right to express his thoughts on a song in a way that is totally relevant to the conversation? Was there some kind of Interference vote that I missed, or are you just being a prick to this guy because he's an easy target and it's fun?

No, it's not. Just because you disagree with his opinion of a songs arrangement doesn't make it "trolling". I prefer the acoustic arrangement of Staring at the Sun to the original. Am I trolling the forums by stating that? Of course not, but for some reason when thavidesco says it, he's a horrible troll who gets 2 or 3 posts essentially calling him an idiot.

Its gotten way out of hand, it's super unbecoming, and it looks badly on both the forum and those who do it over and over and over. I guarantee someone coming in who has no idea of the context thinks you and Headache (in particular) are just being straight up bullies to this guy, and I'd be inclined to agree at this point. Fucking stop it. It's pathetic. Disagree with his opinions or his posts all you want, but mocking him and calling him a troll for saying he prefers an acoustic version of a song over the electric one is bullshit.

If anybody here is trolling at this point, it's you.

There is a history

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I see precisely nowhere where he says that Cedarwood Road is "just a folk song and should be played as such". He says that he prefers the acoustic arrangement over the electric one and doesn't like the riff.

Even if he did say exactly what you posted, who the fuck cares? It's his opinion of the song, what the hell gives you the right to say he's not entitled to prefer one version of a song over another? When did thavidesco forfeit the right to express his thoughts on a song in a way that is totally relevant to the conversation? Was there some kind of Interference vote that I missed, or are you just being a prick to this guy because he's an easy target and it's fun?

No, it's not. Just because you disagree with his opinion of a songs arrangement doesn't make it "trolling". I prefer the acoustic arrangement of Staring at the Sun to the original. Am I trolling the forums by stating that? Of course not, but for some reason when thavidesco says it, he's a horrible troll who gets 2 or 3 posts essentially calling him an idiot.

Its gotten way out of hand, it's super unbecoming, and it looks badly on both the forum and those who do it over and over and over. I guarantee someone coming in who has no idea of the context thinks you and Headache (in particular) are just being straight up bullies to this guy, and I'd be inclined to agree at this point. Fucking stop it. It's pathetic. Disagree with his opinions or his posts all you want, but mocking him and calling him a troll for saying he prefers an acoustic version of a song over the electric one is bullshit.

:up:

I think he was bringing up when thavidesco said that Cedars of Lebanon was a folk song, I can't remember the whole debate, but it was something like that.

So in other words you're saying those guys were bringing up something thavidesco said weeks ago about a completely different song that he made absolutely no reference to anytime recently and has even less relevance to anything we've been talking about in this thread for the past 15-20 days, and are using it to call him names and mock him?

Wow, that makes it even stupider. I didn't think that was possible. Holy fuck, you guys. :|

Dave this is not his first post about this song.

There is context.

His "opinion" on the arrangement is the equivalent of me saying Clockwork Orange is a sitcom. It's no longer an opinion when objectively you don't understand the elements that differentiate the 2 art forms.

So in other words you're saying those guys were bringing up something thavidesco said weeks ago about a completely different song that he made absolutely no reference to anytime recently and has even less relevance to anything we've been talking about in this thread for the past 15-20 days, and are using it to call him names and mock him?

Wow, that makes it even stupider. I didn't think that was possible. Holy fuck, you guys. :|

Get your facts straight before attacking, this was not the case.

No. He's a troll.

His posts are dad rock. His posts are made by Adele.

That's a big generalization to make about thavidesco. Have you looked at every one of his over 1000 posts to determine that? "His posts are dad rock", "his posts are made by Adele"? What does this have to do with being a troll?

That's a big generalization to make about thavidesco. Have you looked at every one of his over 1000 posts to determine that? "His posts are dad rock", "his posts are made by Adele"? What does this have to do with being a troll?

That's part of his MO, the context to which we are speaking about. He'll call something Dad rock, or he'll say this song is really just a folk song, etc etc, AND then he'll say it over and over and over until he gets a rise out of someone. That's the definition of a troll, their posts are designed to provoke a rise in people.

No one is just making this up, yes some of us have seen most of his post hence how we know the context.

i think everyone who frequents the album forum would understand...

however, the incessant back and forth that seems to surround thavidesco is getting incredibly tiresome - i've never known this happen in here on this scale before

the ignore button is a good option (unless these boys just enjoy a fight)

More forum real estate is taken up by complaints about the guy than the offending posts themselves. I think his opinions are terrible, but if he's not targeting anyone specifically, it's best to just ignore him, especially if you believe he's trolling.

There is a history

Dave this is not his first post about this song.

There is context.

Oh ok then being a total cock bag to someone is totally cool. :up:

Just so we're all clear, how many posts about a given song are required before we have the green light to be nasty to them? One? 17? Do I have to disagree with all of them, or only a percentage? Do posts discussing multiple songs, or the album the song is on count? I need to know what the threshold here is since apparently past a certain point you are given a green light to be an asshole to that poster, and I don't want to cross that line if I can avoid it.

His "opinion" on the arrangement is the equivalent of me saying Clockwork Orange is a sitcom. It's no longer an opinion when objectively you don't understand the elements that differentiate the 2 art forms.

So here's a thought.

If someone doesn't understand something, offer to teach them about it. If they don't want to listen, ignore them. There's even a handy dandy feature built right into these forums that lets you block yourself from ever seeing a particular persons posts if you just can't help being a tool to someone anytime they post.

Whoever said that the multiple "what an asshole/troll/you aren't entitled to your opinion because you didn't present it in a way I feel is correct or proper" passive aggressive (sometimes not even passive) shitposts are more disruptive to the thread than misguided or misstated opinions was absolutely correct.

Yes, he makes some posts that are poorly written, poorly thought out, or just plain ridiculous. I'm sure that somewhere in your 35,000 posts there are lots of idiotic moments in there we could all dredge up and have a good laugh at, too. I have lots of them in my posting history, too.

I honestly don't understand why you are going out of your way to make someone feel belittled, mocked, and unwelcome. But yeah, he's the troll. :rolleyes:

Come on, now.

I fail to see what part of his post you quoted could be considered "trolling". He commented on the arrangement of the audio clip that had just been posted, which I think is quite relevant to the discussion.

I know I was one of the first to call out thavidesco's posts but I do think he has actually made an effort to be less inciteful, with some exceptions, since then. English is obviously not his first language and he sucks at wording some things. You probably would too if you tried to join a German-language U2 forum. Sometimes shit just doesn't come across the way it's intended and the person doesn't really know.

Some of you guys are claiming he's trolling though with every single post it seems. I find this to be vastly more annoying at this point than the posts themselves. I actually am starting to admire his persistence, considering if I joined an online message board and every single post I made was met with claims of being a troll (whether baseless or otherwise) I would be long gone.

Yes, some of his posts are silly. We all make them. Cut the guy some slack, I honestly think he's trying but some of you dismiss every word he says. Let's maybe not go out of our way to drive more newbies away considering that's already a reputation Interference holds?

Thanks.

I know many people don´t agree with my opinion and that´s okay, that is what a forum is about. I always try to be sincere even if it is an unpopular opinion. I praised a lot of things, I also criticised a lot of things. I love U2 and I care for their music, I cannot be indifferent to what they do. That´s why I keep on commenting.

I don´t get people who are aggressive only because they have different opinion than somebody else. That is very... odd :)

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Oh ok then being a total cock bag to someone is totally cool. :up:

Just so we're all clear, how many posts about a given song are required before we have the green light to be nasty to them? One? 17? Do I have to disagree with all of them, or only a percentage? Do posts discussing multiple songs, or the album the song is on count? I need to know what the threshold here is since apparently past a certain point you are given a green light to be an asshole to that poster, and I don't want to cross that line if I can avoid it.

So here's a thought.

If someone doesn't understand something, offer to teach them about it. If they don't want to listen, ignore them. There's even a handy dandy feature built right into these forums that lets you block yourself from ever seeing a particular persons posts if you just can't help being a tool to someone anytime they post.

Whoever said that the multiple "what an asshole/troll/you aren't entitled to your opinion because you didn't present it in a way I feel is correct or proper" passive aggressive (sometimes not even passive) shitposts are more disruptive to the thread than misguided or misstated opinions was absolutely correct.

Yes, he makes some posts that are poorly written, poorly thought out, or just plain ridiculous. I'm sure that somewhere in your 35,000 posts there are lots of idiotic moments in there we could all dredge up and have a good laugh at, too. I have lots of them in my posting history, too.

I honestly don't understand why you are going out of your way to make someone feel belittled, mocked, and unwelcome. But yeah, he's the troll. :rolleyes:

Slow your roll... If you don't know the context of his posts then you certainly don't understand the context of my posts with him. I have reached out to him as many others have.

I think he was bringing up when thavidesco said that Cedars of Lebanon was a folk song, I can't remember the whole debate, but it was something like that.

Well...

The debate was about White As Snow.

It wasn´t about it being a folk song.

It was about how much it is based on a hymn song Veni, Emmanuel...

That's part of his MO, the context to which we are speaking about. He'll call something Dad rock, or he'll say this song is really just a folk song, etc etc, AND then he'll say it over and over and over until he gets a rise out of someone. That's the definition of a troll, their posts are designed to provoke a rise in people.

No one is just making this up, yes some of us have seen most of his post hence how we know the context.

Well, by far I´m not the one who is so fascinated with terms "dad rock" or "Adele version" to use it in every second post :) :) :)

Ok, so can we please agree to use the ignore feature if you prefer not to read the posts of a particular user? Seems that would solve a lot of the problems. Thanks!

Well...

He's right about White As Snow being based on the hymn Veni, Emmanuel. I can hear the similarities. Considering the bands spiritual background growing up, they probably were exposed to a lot of choral music and some of that is subconsciously or consciously has leaked into "White As Snow".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBinmX9mQM

Slow your roll... If you don't know the context of his posts then you certainly don't understand the context of my posts with him. I have reached out to him as many others have.

You (and others) keep mentioning "context" as if he somehow deserves all this venom being spewed his way.

You know, that's the same thing as the fifth grade bully who told the teacher I deserved that black eye because I dared to cross the football field coming back into school after lunch while they were playing, and I should have known better than to do that.

PS: In case you haven't noticed, I'm not new around here. I'm fully aware of the "context" and "history" that you seem to feel gives you license to be a jerk.

You (and others) keep mentioning "context" as if he somehow deserves all this venom being spewed his way.

You know, that's the same thing as the fifth grade bully who told the teacher I deserved that black eye because I dared to cross the football field coming back into school after lunch while they were playing, and I should have known better than to do that.

PS: In case you haven't noticed, I'm not new around here. I'm fully aware of the "context" and "history" that you seem to feel gives you license to be a jerk.

Well if you thought I was being a jerk, and especially if you thought I was acting like I had license to do so than I apologize.

Thanks.

I know many people don´t agree with my opinion and that´s okay, that is what a forum is about. I always try to be sincere even if it is an unpopular opinion. I praised a lot of things, I also criticised a lot of things. I love U2 and I care for their music, I cannot be indifferent to what they do. That´s why I keep on commenting.

I don´t get people who are aggressive only because they have different opinion than somebody else. That is very... odd :)

That's exactly it - I called you out back in the fall (ish) because I didn't like some of your posts and the way they were worded I felt was very passive-aggressive. You seemed to acknowledge it, said it was likely because English wasn't your first language, and from what I can tell have kept it in mind and the tone of your posts changed. I appreciate it, and that does say something to your credit that you can take criticism positively.

I disagree often with your posts. Sometimes I agree with them. But even when I vigorously disagree with something you have to say on here, I know you are saying it with good intentions. I honestly don't think you are trying to piss people off or be a smug asshole at all. I will say that some of your posts have come across that way, but when it is mentioned, in the cases I have seen you have usually been pretty good about explaining yourself or re-wording your post to clarify your point, which is fine.

I think you deserve a lot more of the benefit of the doubt than you've been given around here, and almost everyone else gets. For some reason, you do not and I don't understand why. I'm not trying to say that everybody needs to respect everything you say and hang on every word, but the open and blatant disrespect you get is grating and pathetic.

Props to you for sticking around and making an effort to voice your opinion. I would have been long gone if I had gotten this kind of reception around here.

Well...

Ah, my bad. The argument sounded familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom