** SPOILERS** The soundcheck thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:11 PM
** SPOILERS** The soundcheck thread

We've had very few soundcheck reports so far this tour - basically just that the band ran through When Love Comes To Town before Vancouver 2. Now that rehearsals are done and dusted, the soundchecks are usually the best way to get an idea of what the band are planning, like how Your Blue Room and Mercy were rehearsed at multiple soundchecks before their live debuts on 360. So I thought I'd make this thread for any bits of information from soundchecks.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
45:33

I would not say no to Mercy returning. I heard it live in 2010 and even with that abomination of a chorus it was still pretty special.

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I would not say no to Mercy returning. I heard it live in 2010 and even with that abomination of a chorus it was still pretty special.
I was pretty bummed with the lack of Mercy in Sydney. Would have loved it if it got a run.

Hoping for the odd tour debut tomorrow. TGBHF has to be soon.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #4

I want to see Running to Stand Still become a warhorse. I want it given prominence and played at every single show. I can't remember the last time I heard the song and didn't cry.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

I was wondering if - other than the leaked setlist and that one early rehearsal report - there was any advance warning of The Electric Co.? Did anybody hear it soundchecked in San Jose?

Because what strikes me about a number of big surprises they could do is that they don't actually need to be rehearsed at full volume. The Electric Co. needs to be blasted out full volume, but it would be easier to sneak Running to Stand Still, One Step Closer, TGBHF, even Playboy Mansion under the radar.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

And When Love Comes To Town proved they can play old songs without a great deal of rehearsal. I'm not a musician in any way shape or form but I feel like that song would be a bit harder to get up and running than the likes of Desire or whatever. They soundchecked it and then smashed it.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
And When Love Comes To Town proved they can play old songs without a great deal of rehearsal. I'm not a musician in any way shape or form but I feel like that song would be a bit harder to get up and running than the likes of Desire or whatever. They soundchecked it and then smashed it.
I get the impression the biggest barrier to them playing anything is Bono remembering the lyrics.

None of their songs are overly technical - I think some of the guitar parts form War and TUF would be the hardest to plug n play.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:11 AM
I don't get why it's acceptable to pull out obscure Boy tracks, but to completely ignore 7/10 of the War album since 1985. Don't get me wrong, I love Boy. But I'd think occasionally throwing out surrender or 2 hearts would be just as acceptable as Electric Co and Out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I don't get why it's acceptable to pull out obscure Boy tracks, but to completely ignore 7/10 of the War album since 1985. Don't get me wrong, I love Boy. But I'd think occasionally throwing out surrender or 2 hearts would be just as acceptable as Electric Co and Out of control.
Off memory they did rehearse Two Hearts Beat As One before the Elevation Tour. I'm surprised that, with the exception of one performance on Lovetown, it hasn't been played since the UF Tour.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
has a

Local Time: 01:11 AM
I heard The Troubles being soundchecked before SJ2. Bummed we didn't get to hear it.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I get the impression the biggest barrier to them playing anything is Bono remembering the lyrics.
YEs absolutely.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
YEs absolutely.
The answer to this is teleprompters, which they use anyway! Well, on previous tours they have.
ChargedVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Want time do they usually soundcheck? I am staying across street from arena in Phoenix and am going to walk over this afternoon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app
jphelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
The answer to this is teleprompters, which they use anyway! Well, on previous tours they have.
They still do, and it's not helping a single bit. So yeah, they need to get Bono to lay off the booze, might help his memory a bit.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Bono branded Google Glass, complete with built in teleprompter.

Boom. Problem solved

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rehearsals, soundcheck