*Spoilers* Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is very unfortunate and sad news for Larry (and the band).

They should just reschedule opening night to when they have a few consecutive free nights in the tour schedule.

I do feel bad for those who traveled from distant lands and spent time and money on hotels, meals, air fare etc....But this is life and sometimes certain things take precedence.

When you think back to Bono's dad dying, Bono was able to pour out his emotions in the shows leading up to and after. Listening back on some of those Elevation shows there were incredible versions of Kite, Gone, Bad, SIAMYCGOOI and WOWY, plus even snippets of In My Life were emotional.

Bono's always said that Larry is basically the heartbeat of their shows. Most people probably only take notice of Larry a handful of times during a show, but his timing and energy is absolutely crucial to how the show will turn out. If he is not on his game or into it, the show will suffer.

How many fans would rather them race back to keep the schedule, but yet get a poor U2 show because of the surrounding circumstances. I realize this is a global event, but the band will do what is best for Larry and the future of the tour.

I would think if anything they move Thursday show to Sat and all is well. But I predict, the show will go on.

Personally do think postponing would be the best, but surely an announcement would have been made now? Especially with people already camping and whatever (mad bastards)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Perhaps they cannot make an announcement yet as they are still working on getting shit finalised? You can't just postpone something without extensive meetings with the Arena and everyoen involved. So combine that with dealing with funeral arrangements, could be the cause for the delayed response.

Postpone, go on, I'm pretty sure they're leaving the decision in Larry's hands. Whatever happens, it's good. If people get mad that their show is postponed, burn your tickets in your selfish anger. :rolleyes:

This will be a defining moment for those pavement huggers in the future.

I think a lot of people will think twice about travelling far for future concerts. As we are saying anything can happen ant anytime.

Part of 2006 tour cancelled for Edge's daughter.
Part of 2010 tour cancelled for Bono's back surgery.
Most certainly if Bono hadn't fallen off his bike, this tour would have started much earlier.

This will be a defining moment for those pavement huggers in the future.

I think a lot of people will think twice about travelling far for future concerts. As we are saying anything can happen ant anytime.

Part of 2006 tour cancelled for Edge's daughter.
Part of 2010 tour cancelled for Bono's back surgery.
Most certainly if Bono hadn't fallen off his bike, this tour would have started much earlier.

I wish you were right, but unfortunately a lot of the biggest jerks that do it have more money than sense. It's their entire life to be first in a U2 concert line, and they'll do whatever it takes.

If they do the rehearsal tonight for all the Live Nation assholes and postpone the opening night of the tour, yes, I WILL be pissed. All or nothing.

Erm wasn't tonight for radio contest winners?

My husband just sent me this from the Independent:

It is expected Larry Snr’s funeral will be held in Dublin either tomorrow or Thursday morning, with Larry (53) and his band colleagues being whisked back and forth to the capital by private jet for the ceremony.

Yes, they can hire a private jet, let's not forget. They could leave Dublin by 2pm Thursday and then be in Vancouver 12 hours later at 6pm local. We will know by them canceling their radio appearance at 4pm local that day.

Going to be gruelling, but I think if anything, we see a delayed start that very same night, maybe 9pm or something.

My husband just sent me this from the Independent:

Yes, they can hire a private jet, let's not forget. They could leave Dublin by 2pm Thursday and then be in Vancouver 12 hours later at 6pm local. We will know by them canceling their radio appearance at 4pm local that day.

Going to be gruelling, but I think if anything, we see a delayed start that very same night, maybe 9pm or something.
The radio appearance was recorded a few days ago.

If they do the rehearsal tonight for all the Live Nation assholes and postpone the opening night of the tour, yes, I WILL be pissed. All or nothing.

They could do the rehearsal without Larry if need be. Would you be PISSED then if they postponed the show and do the rehearsal with the drum tech?

Even IF they manage to go back and forth, opening night is stressful enough and it's even much worse given these circumstances. You wouldn't want this to happen on your opening night, it surely puts an enormous amount of pressure on Larry, poor guy. I would totally understand if they're postponing, this is not the time to worry for fans who traveled to Vancouver, it's not U2's "fault" something like this is happening, but if they show goes on as scheduled (and so far it looks like it), it will surely be a very emotional one.

I just had to say that because I seem to be seeing a real high and mighty attitude from those who aren't going to Vancouver that anyone who is can't say "I'll be upset if they postpone."

Of course I am sad for Larry - of COURSE I am. This is terrible. I'm just discussing the ways they can still make this happen, which I have confidence that they will - I dearly hope.

This whole discussion seems a bit surreal...trying to dissect what he might / might not do...

Not to mention that we're talking about not merely a transatlantic flight..but a flight to the Pacific time zone. Not sure if anyone has ever tried that literally the minute after burying a loved one and then gotten up and pounded the drums professionally for 2 hrs?

I dunno. I doubt anyone is worrying about the show start as much as U2 fans. Let the man be. Some famous guy apparently once said "let the dead bury their dead" but I don't think he was Irish.

This whole discussion seems a bit surreal...trying to dissect what he might / might not do...

Not to mention that we're talking about not merely a transatlantic flight..but a flight to the Pacific time zone. Not sure if anyone has ever tried that literally the minute after burying a loved one and then gotten up and pounded the drums professionally for 2 hrs?

I dunno. I doubt anyone is worrying about the show start as much as U2 fans. Let the man be. Some famous guy apparently once said "let the dead bury their dead" but I don't think he was Irish.

All of this...

Even on a private jet, that amount of travel, both ways, burying your father is physically and emotionally draining. To pull off a show after all of that would be a very difficult task.

Could the band possibly use Larry's longtime drum technician Sam to play the first 2 gigs.

Remember STU TV in Sydney when Adam couldn't make the gig.

Look it up. Sydney, Australia 11/26/93. Adam's bass technician Stuart filled in for him when he was unable to make the show. They jokingly referred to it as STU TV instead of ZOO TV.

The show will go on everybody:
http://u-2.im/1zY1TTj

Not sure how I feel about that. I would have been perfectly OK if they decided to postpone. But I guess Larry would know if Larry is ready.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

The show will go on everybody:
U2 show to go ahead after family bereavement - RTÉ Ten

Not sure how I feel about that. I would have been perfectly OK if they decided to postpone. But I guess Larry would know if Larry is ready.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

it doesn't matter how you feel. it only matters how Larry feels. if he felt it best to cope by playing the show? good for him. if he felt it best to postpone the show? good for him.

it doesn't matter how you feel. it only matters how Larry feels. if he felt it best to cope by playing the show? good for him. if he felt it best to postpone the show? good for him.

Indeed, maybe he feels going out and taking his emotion out on his drums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom