Really odd directing choices in Paris.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
Overall, I'm pleased to have a film of their most coherent show since Elevation, and the band certainly rose to the occasion. But watching it a second time, I'm struck by the director's refusal to shoot the big obvious moments in the show as big obvious moments, specifically -
- the bulb toss in Vertigo
- on "can the Edge come out to play?" - a long shot of Larry, panning the audience, and then finally a weird closeup of Edge
- "I am not Invisible, I am here"

All of these felt anticlimactic when they should have been huge. I'm confused by what they thought they were gaining by doing that.

I love the show and am sure I will return to it often. But they left a few big moments on the table.

- on "can the Edge come out to play?" - a long shot of Larry, panning the audience, and then finally a weird closeup of Edge

OMG, I had the exactly same thought during this part! Really weird choices, I agree. I found "Invisible" to be the worst part of the broadcast. Then again, I found that to be the worst part of the concert when I saw it live. There's not much you can do with that part, I guess. Kind of like Zooropa on 360, not much to focus the cameras on.

Hamish Hamilton. What did we expect. At least this one didn't trigger my epilepsy with the crazy fast jumps and shaky shots (I don't have epilepsy).

I found "Invisible" to be the worst part of the broadcast. Then again, I found that to be the worst part of the concert when I saw it live. There's not much you can do with that part, I guess.

It was as though the director didn't know what to do with the parts of the set where the band was inside the screen - why they didn't have a camera in there with the band is beyond me. Too many wide shots from the north side looking at the whole screen when getting closer to the band would have been more interesting. Then when there really was a need for a wide shot of the whole band/screen (I am here!), he cuts to the crane swinging over the audience. Sigh.

That's interesting that you didn't like it live either - was one of my favorite songs in the set in person.

Oh dear it was directed by that guy? :yikes: Not a good track record for U2 DVDs there...

Wouldn't go ruling it out just yet, many seemed to have enjoyed it, also just watched some of the 3rd Paris show pro shot and he indeed shows Bono throwing the lightbulb during vertigo, so unsure why he didn't for this show?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sometimes what could be the best camera to show a moment is not getting the best images so it's not used.
To be honest the only thing I see as annoying is that I don't understand why there were no cameras inside the screen for Invisible and others. Is not that hard and we wouldn't expect moving cameras inside or any extraordinary perspective.

But overall, I appreciate the footage, better than previous releases in my opinion.

Considering that they had to send the show to HBO immediately after it finished, it's better than the past two concert films.

The version of City from the night before is infinitely better than the creepy version from the broadcast

Short of that I thought the broadcast was spectacular

Not seen the actual broadcast yet but have seen that version of city from the previous night and agreed it was a great version

I was a little confused by the dude on stage during COBL and when Bono kept pushing him backwards I was thinking he stage crashed and Bono was trying to handle things. It was awkward at first.

The version of City from the night before is infinitely better than the creepy version from the broadcast

Short of that I thought the broadcast was spectacular

Agreed. That was just... bad.

Also wish they had cameras inside of the screen, even if they were just stationary ones.

I will say that the spider cam rotating around the screen for the big moments in Streets and EBTTRT were really great.

As a person who was right in the action, Pol (from Spain) was hand picked after we got off the stage for Elevation. English isn't Pol's first language, and he is a tad shy. I tried to stay up to watch the HBO broadcast while I was in Paris, but I couldn't even stay away (cause of the time change) to see even Elevation. I'm going to have to check out the intense and creepy you talk about. Pol is a very sweet guy....with the craziest U2 tattoos I've ever seen.

*note - Pol got to keep Bono's glasses (his second pair.... he got a previous pair from his previous stage appearance). They switched out Bono's jacket when he climbed over the rail as he was swimming in Bono's jacket. They gave him one that fit him better.

They switched out Bono's jacket when he climbed over the rail as he was swimming in Bono's jacket. They gave him one that fit him better.

Okay, that's hilarious. They just have all these various Bono jackets on hand? With different fits? Do Bono's measurements fluctuate throughout the show? :lol:

I find it weird that Hamish gets so many crap on his directing...
We've sene the shows at least 15+ times before and he has to direct this thing within a short amount of time. I think the first leaked images we got from Paris (II?) where disappointing becuase he was using the wide angle shots of the stage a bit too much.
But I love the end result of Paris 4 considering this is a quickly edited cut.

I remember seeing the Elevation boston DVD as a kid and that thing is what turned me into wanting to see U2 live and understanding what they are all about. Its a little on the artistic side but that is exactly what I appreciate about it.

Hamish Hamilton. What did we expect. At least this one didn't trigger my epilepsy with the crazy fast jumps and shaky shots (I don't have epilepsy).

Lol! Made me laugh out loud, and I actually do have photosensitive epilepsy - I can't bear to watch Vertigo 360!!!

Did anyone else hear a few audio blips during the original HBO broadcast? I'm wondering if they appeared during re-broadcasts. Sorry I don't remember during what songs, but there were a few of them that stood out to me during the concert

e
Did anyone else hear a few audio blips during the original HBO broadcast? I'm wondering if they appeared during re-broadcasts. Sorry I don't remember during what songs, but there were a few of them that stood out to me during the concert

Yep, it sounded like a clicking noise on my TV. Definitely noticed it during Iris and Bad, there were others too that I can't remember

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I remember seeing the Elevation boston DVD as a kid and that thing is what turned me into wanting to see U2 live and understanding what they are all about. Its a little on the artistic side but that is exactly what I appreciate about it.

That video is what made me a fan when I was a kid too, the opening of Streets is absolutely amazing on that film

I've watched a bunch of replays (watching now here in Calgary) and the audio issues are still present in all the same spots :sad:

Hamish did a very nice job directing the HBO Paris show and it brought me back to how much I enjoyed Elevation Boston DVD because these 2 shows he kept the camera on the subject more than .5 seconds. I was on the floor in GA AT the one of Vertigo Chicago 2005 shows that was filmed, something I'm proud to say as a big fan, and I think he ruined the representation of that show. There's times I want to throw that show on for the personal connection but I don't play it because it's kind of painful to sit through actually watching.

I need to go back and watch the DVDs. I'd honestly forgotten about the Vertigo DVD!

My big disappointments with the Rose Bowl show:

1) cutting Breathe. wtf
2) HUGE missed opportunity to not show the lights shooting out of the top of the Claw in COBL
3) the whole thing is just soooo dark.

Yea that dude was just so incredibly intense. It was really awkward and creepy.

I loved every show, but the parts I didn't care for are the fans coming up to play with the band. Even the famous fans. I just want to see the band. And when it's a drunk super fan on stage --oh to the vey.

I can live with Bono bringing up an attractive person and then singing to them in a very sexual way for like 30 seconds like the old days, but letting them play guitar and strut around for the whole song is very very weird.

Back
Top Bottom