Really odd directing choices in Paris. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Really odd directing choices in Paris.

Overall, I'm pleased to have a film of their most coherent show since Elevation, and the band certainly rose to the occasion. But watching it a second time, I'm struck by the director's refusal to shoot the big obvious moments in the show as big obvious moments, specifically -
- the bulb toss in Vertigo
- on "can the Edge come out to play?" - a long shot of Larry, panning the audience, and then finally a weird closeup of Edge
- "I am not Invisible, I am here"

All of these felt anticlimactic when they should have been huge. I'm confused by what they thought they were gaining by doing that.

I love the show and am sure I will return to it often. But they left a few big moments on the table.

tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycharles View Post
- on "can the Edge come out to play?" - a long shot of Larry, panning the audience, and then finally a weird closeup of Edge

OMG, I had the exactly same thought during this part! Really weird choices, I agree. I found "Invisible" to be the worst part of the broadcast. Then again, I found that to be the worst part of the concert when I saw it live. There's not much you can do with that part, I guess. Kind of like Zooropa on 360, not much to focus the cameras on.

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:37 AM
I'm sure there will be plenty of editing if the HBO broadcast finds its way to bluray/dvd.
bono_man2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Hamish Hamilton. What did we expect. At least this one didn't trigger my epilepsy with the crazy fast jumps and shaky shots (I don't have epilepsy).
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I found "Invisible" to be the worst part of the broadcast. Then again, I found that to be the worst part of the concert when I saw it live. There's not much you can do with that part, I guess.
It was as though the director didn't know what to do with the parts of the set where the band was inside the screen - why they didn't have a camera in there with the band is beyond me. Too many wide shots from the north side looking at the whole screen when getting closer to the band would have been more interesting. Then when there really was a need for a wide shot of the whole band/screen (I am here!), he cuts to the crane swinging over the audience. Sigh.

That's interesting that you didn't like it live either - was one of my favorite songs in the set in person.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Hamish Hamilton. What did we expect. At least this one didn't trigger my epilepsy with the crazy fast jumps and shaky shots (I don't have epilepsy).
Oh dear it was directed by that guy? Not a good track record for U2 DVDs there...
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Oh dear it was directed by that guy? Not a good track record for U2 DVDs there...

Wouldn't go ruling it out just yet, many seemed to have enjoyed it, also just watched some of the 3rd Paris show pro shot and he indeed shows Bono throwing the lightbulb during vertigo, so unsure why he didn't for this show?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
KUEFC09U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
War Child

Sometimes what could be the best camera to show a moment is not getting the best images so it's not used.
To be honest the only thing I see as annoying is that I don't understand why there were no cameras inside the screen for Invisible and others. Is not that hard and we wouldn't expect moving cameras inside or any extraordinary perspective.

But overall, I appreciate the footage, better than previous releases in my opinion.
trainmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Really odd directing choices in Paris.

Considering that they had to send the show to HBO immediately after it finished, it's better than the past two concert films.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

The version of City from the night before is infinitely better than the creepy version from the broadcast

Short of that I thought the broadcast was spectacular
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The version of City from the night before is infinitely better than the creepy version from the broadcast

Not seen the actual broadcast yet but have seen that version of city from the previous night and agreed it was a great version

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
KUEFC09U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:37 AM
I was a little confused by the dude on stage during COBL and when Bono kept pushing him backwards I was thinking he stage crashed and Bono was trying to handle things. It was awkward at first.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

Agreed. That was just... bad.

Also wish they had cameras inside of the screen, even if they were just stationary ones.

I will say that the spider cam rotating around the screen for the big moments in Streets and EBTTRT were really great.
RoKKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
I was a little confused by the dude on stage during COBL and when Bono kept pushing him backwards I was thinking he stage crashed and Bono was trying to handle things. It was awkward at first.
Yea that dude was just so incredibly intense. It was really awkward and creepy.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Mirror Ball Man 2.0

Local Time: 01:37 PM
As a person who was right in the action, Pol (from Spain) was hand picked after we got off the stage for Elevation. English isn't Pol's first language, and he is a tad shy. I tried to stay up to watch the HBO broadcast while I was in Paris, but I couldn't even stay away (cause of the time change) to see even Elevation. I'm going to have to check out the intense and creepy you talk about. Pol is a very sweet guy....with the craziest U2 tattoos I've ever seen.

*note - Pol got to keep Bono's glasses (his second pair.... he got a previous pair from his previous stage appearance). They switched out Bono's jacket when he climbed over the rail as he was swimming in Bono's jacket. They gave him one that fit him better.

U2BROTHR's EXPERIENCE & INNOCENCE TOUR
VEGAS 1 VEGAS 2 MONTREAL 1 U2@APOLLO BELFAST1 BELFAST 2
U2BROTHR is offline   Reply With Quote