June 25, 2010 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Money's been taken out of my account so looks as if I'm definitely going. Settled for the coach package now so looking to arrive Wednesday afternoon and leave Monday morning. As far as I am aware Stevie Wonder is confirmed for the Sunday headline slot, though i may be spending this evening away from the pyramid stage as Jackson Browne is a strong rumour (with a quote from Eavis) for the Sunday night acoustic stage and I'm a massive fan.

Can't wait to hear the full line-up and start to plan ahead!

money wasn't available in my account on monday and properly left yesterday :applaud: i'm all set!

Although not officially confirmed, Stevie is down as TBC (to be confirmed) for Sunday so its as good as!

I was pleased to note that the Cribs and the Editors are also TBC (both excellent bands). Also, Coldplay and Robert Plant are listed as strong rumours.

PYRAMID STAGE

Friday

U2
Dizzee Rascal
Vampire Weekend
Snoop Dogg

Saturday
Muse
Scissor Sisters
Seasick Steve

Sunday
Stevie Wonder
Faithless
Jack Johnson

OTHER STAGE

Friday

Flaming Lips
Hot Chip
Florence + the Machine
La Roux

Saturday
Pet Shop Boys
Editors
Cribs
National
Kate Nash

Sunday
Orbital
LCD
MGMT

JOHN PEEL STAGE

Friday

Groove Armada
Black Keys
Mumford & Sons

Saturday
Jamie T
Ben Harper
Foals
The XX

Sunday
Ash
Julian Casablancas
Broken Social Scene

yikes! a couple of those line-ups on certain days are pretty weak compared to other years!! :huh: some are fantastic though! Just a shame Pet Shop Boys clash with Muse! ;)

I'm excited about seeing the Stranglers, the Editors, the Cribs, Slash, Reef, the Levellers, Gaslight Anthem, the XX, Saw Doctors and Gomez..will be interesting to see who the TBA's turn out to be as well.

yeah, some of the clashes are devestating! Bootleg Beatles same time as U2 to name one!
Well it was a wonderful dream while it last....sorry U2 :sad:
:wink: i am of course joking but i'd have loved to have seen the bootleg beatles! I can't believe Muse are on at the same time as The Pet Shop Boys! I was really hoping I'd get to see them.

the TBA slots first thing every morning on the Pyramid Stage are what interest me the most :hmm: if the rumours of very big bands (ie. Coldplay as mentioned by one or two people) going on very early in the day just to shake things up are true that would be amazing! Was hoping Coldplay would turn out to be playing the slot before U2 but can't win them all haha

The Park Stage has had some fantastic secret gigs since its creation not long ago. well worth keeping an eye on any TBA/Special Guest slots. But then again I'm sure EVERYONE knows that now! :)

i must be honest the three bands before U2 leave me feeling a bit indifferent sadly. I guess it'll make U2 all the better

Some of the main stage TBA's are also likely to be acts who signed up first for another big festival, don't have an exclusive contract, but are not allowed to announce any additional festival gigs until the original festival has sold out or until a certain fixed date much closer to the event. e.g. Ben Harper, who was listed on a leaked short lineup list yesterday, but is absent from todays announcement (and he's also playing Hard Rock). Could be more of those (Pearl Jam? McCartney?)

Also, another major, major drawcard up against U2 was always going to happen, has to happen for a variety of reasons, but I'm really pissed that it's the Flaming Lips, and that the run up to them is better than U2's. Smart scheduling, absolutely the right thing to do, but super annoying.

I really dislike Snoop Dogg, Vampire Weekend and Dizzee so I am :angry: about that U2 run-up Friday! Might even have to forfeit a front row position just so I can go elsewhere that afternoon. Bit annoyed that Fatboy Slim also clashes with U2 but never mind.

In fact I reckon they've done that on purpose on the Friday - Flaming Lips, Fatboy Slim, Groove Armada, Bootleg Beatles will all draw quite a large crowd. There may not be a problem getting back to the front row :wink:

I really hope the band go out and blow people away here, there are going to be sooo many people hoping they fail, i will have my fingers crossed.

In fact I reckon they've done that on purpose on the Friday - Flaming Lips, Fatboy Slim, Groove Armada, Bootleg Beatles will all draw quite a large crowd. There may not be a problem getting back to the front row :wink:

Yes, absolutely deliberately. Flaming Lips will be a MASSIVE draw away from U2. And their run up (Phoenix, La Roux, Florence + the Machine) is definitely better as well, all very big acts of the moment. The Snoop/Dizzee lead in to U2 would also be a deliberate decision, seen as acts that aren't so appealing to the same crowd as U2. But they absolutely have to do it, it's totally understandable. A really great run in to U2 would just create a nightmare crowd situation. I'll probably not head over to U2 until some point during Florence, and I'm REALLY annoyed about not being able to see Flaming Lips.

There's about 40 mins between acts towards the end of each day. And the distance from the Other Stage to the Pyramid Stage is about 15 mins walk - depending where you stand in the crowd obviously. But you can definitely see all of Florence and the Machine, and then Hot Chip, and still get a prime spot for U2 if you're prepared to work your way through the Pyramid Stage crowd (which is very doable) after Dizzy Rascal has finished. That would be my plan - if I was going!

I'm planning on being at the other stage early evening for the Stranglers then walking to the Pyramid in time for Vampire Weekend (I don't really like Vampire Weekend, but I just want to make sure I get a good place...being only 5ft tall I need to be at the front!).

Would be the right move to do in 2001 when they were huge and pretty much universally loved.

On the last two tours though, there's been collateral damage via Bono's activism/speeches...

I'm planning on being at the other stage early evening for the Stranglers then walking to the Pyramid in time for Vampire Weekend (I don't really like Vampire Weekend, but I just want to make sure I get a good place...being only 5ft tall I need to be at the front!).

PHP:

as far as i can tell from the line-up list the Stranglers are on the Other Stage REALLY early in the day :huh:

Would be the right move to do in 2001 when they were huge and pretty much universally loved.

On the last two tours though, there's been collateral damage via Bono's activism/speeches...

Dont really understand your point? this is a HUGE chance for U2 to prove themselves infront of people who wont like them/havent listened to them, if Bono does any sort of speech about Africa then yes they will have blown it, but if he sticks to the music then they have a chance of coming out of this with some great reviews.

^ I have a feeling that since he has reigned in such speeches on the U2 tour, he isn't likely to go on about Africa at Glastonbury. I think they all know how much is at stake. They are likely to be very nervous and apprehensive about it. After all this isn't a gig on 'safe ground' as it were, they have to play one of the best shows of their lives in order to blow away any sceptics. But I would agree, it is a great opportunity for them to show the world just what a great live band they (still) are.

There's a fair bit of political campaigning / issue awareness-raising that goes on from the Pyramid Stage at Glasto already, especially on the video screens between acts, and occasionally from speakers on the stage.

I really think people will have no objection to Bono making a speech or two, like about Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma before MLK / Walk On, or about the One campaign before One. No-one is going to boo Bono for a speech as:

1) the crowd will be totally fired up, creating and enjoying an amazing atmosphere, and having a bloody great time, too much to boo anybody

2) it's Glasto - campaigning is encouraged!

3) all the people who *really* hate Bono and U2 will be off watching other bands, no-one's gonna miss seeing another act just to heckle Bono and create some negative vibes in a very positive atmosphere

4) anyway, most people will be expecting one or two Bono speeches as part of the authentic U2 live experience!

haha yeah I'm not really keen on the way Bono would drag out the intro to one to give the exact same speech (complete with cheeky one liners) that he's made at the 5 gigs before, but at Glastonbury I imagine he'll obviously give a nod to the festival's campaigning. Like you just said, there's videos in between acts about certain issues that I hadn't even heard of before listening to U2 and finding out about Bono's "Extracurricular activities".

But like everyone's saying there's worries Bono will turn it into a chance to preach but I think that's very doubtful. They have the chance to play one of the best shows of their entire career, you can already imagine Larry backstage briefing Bono on how he'll be timing him ;)

You mean in terms of general public perception? I agree, ATYCLB era would have been very good timing. If HTDAAB had been the original back-to-basics "four guys in a room" album, that would have been a good time for it as well, musically. This does wreak of a bit of a forced campaign type of thing, an awareness that they've lost ground with the 'music' music fan over the past decade, and that U2 are seen as a larger monster beyond the songs - extravagant touring, extravagant Bono etc - as well as a bit of a dinosaur band, and perhaps this is a too obvious attempt to rectify that.

Still, it presents a great challenge and great opportunity. My biggest fear is really that they just come out flat, or off, for some reason that they can't overcome, e.g. if Bono's voice has one of those nights. Shit happens, and it's a fairly punishing schedule.

The performance and the setlist are crucial.

Simplistic performance and stage show for the most part, but with one eye on Muse the following night (who will go nuts on theatrics), so some techno-showing off, but maybe for just a run of songs. Maybe present newer songs in a minimalist way, and give the run-of-classics an all out show, as no-one doubts the strength of those songs on their own.

Setlist wise, I know they won't pull anything unusual out of a hat. It will be pretty much the 360 setlist, and if anything 'new' is to come up, it won't be that weird, perhaps just something that has been rested a lot on 360 but heavily used previously. And either way, whatever it is, it will no doubt appear in 360 gigs leading in, or at the very least we'll hear about it being rehearsed at sound checks. There'll be no surprises for U2 fans.

But I do think they need a different order to the setlist, to the usual 360 placement. U2 fans want classics and new juggled pretty well evenly, not too much of a run of either, and are okay with the front end of the set being newer song loaded. I think at Glastonbury, there will be a couple of times where they'll need to knock it out of the park, grab the crowd by the neck and shake them furiously, and I think the opening run of songs will absolutely be one of those points. Probably the most important. I don't think they should come out with mostly new songs up front, even if they are 'lively' songs. Don't think they should open with something from No Line. I think they should go for a blistering opening, even with one of the big classic songs appearing up front, within the first two or three songs. I think that in at least two spots on the set list, they should be effectively beating the crowd over the head with "We. Are. U. Fucking. 2." The opening is one of those, and a latter third blistering run would be another. At both points, it's no time to push relatively unknown newer songs.

My random pick to actually open the whole thing? Until the End of the World. Never fails live, they never fail to lift that song, it's not a warhorse (to the general public), it opens up brilliantly, it's a show off song, and it's a great Glastonbury fit. Back it up by an immediate one-two punch of two relatively energetic songs, with at least one of them being regarded as a classic or seriously well known U2 song, and you're off to a great start. Opening with some mix of Breathe/Boots/No Line/Magnificent - for this crowd that would be coming out VERY slow off the blocks, IMO.

A very delicate balance between old and new, and recognising that this is not an opportunity to make an argument for the 00s or a showcase of No Line, are really the key though.

^ You make some good points there. I agree they certainly won't deviate much, if at all, from the 360 set list - although granted we don't know yet what might be dropped or introduced to the next leg.

If I were them I definitely wouldn't play 2 or 3 new songs first. Casual spectators could be put off and leave. They need to grab people right from the off. What I think would be quite neat would be I Will Follow or Out Of Control with the whole 'first single', introducing the band kind of thing that goes with it.

They definitely need to play the Crazy Tonight remix or just fucking give us Mofo - it would blow peoples balls off. Something staggering like that is needed!

Some really negative stuff here from a couple of media type people, this is picked up from an article in the independant
.......................................................................................................................

Hit or miss? The critics have their say

Andy Kershaw

Broadcaster and DJ

Last year, Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young headlining was a very difficult bill to top, but we have got Willie Nelson, which is about the only thing Michael Eavis – who is a god, in my opinion – could have done for this not to be a disappointment. All the others are third-raters. U2 have been a big bag of wind since I heard their first two singles 30 years ago; Stevie Wonder has been a tremendous bore for the past four decades. There are just not the stars any longer of that magnitude. When you are offering me Dizzee Rascal as the second-most tempting thing on the Friday night, that is a very telling indication of the awful state of things. The drugs changed Glastonbury. In the 1990s, it was no longer a meeting of herbalists but a gathering of amateur chemists. Glastonbury has got too big and too corporate. It used to be like a village fair – everyone knew each other, rubbing shoulders, drinking in the bar under the stage. Now there are too many arrivistes wandering around calling it "Glasto".

Kanya King

Founder, Mobo awards

In the past, Glastonbury's image was dominated by white rock and indie acts, but Jay-Z changed all of that with his performance on the main stage two years ago. That was the breakthrough moment. The fact that there are more urban artists now at Glastonbury reflects urban musicians' position at the forefront of music internationally. Glastonbury has had a lot of diverse acts playing on the jazz and world music stages, so what they are exploring now is nothing new. The difference is that these acts have made the move to the main stage. The Mobo ethos is to honour the past and to inspire the future, and with artists such as Stevie Wonder and Dizzee Rascal performing it is clear that Glastonbury is doing just that.

Mira Jessani

Live Magazine

There are bands in the line-up this year that might not have been there five years ago. When Jay-Z played Glastonbury, a lot of people were split over it. But the festival is opening doors to lots of different types of music, which is good because it reflects the public's diverse taste in music. It creates an opportunity for collaboration between different artists and cross-over between different genres. Collaborations introduce different music to different audiences, which can only be a good thing. It will be interesting to see what these bands will showcase to a wider audience. But I don't think the festival will present much new music to different generations. With the amount of access people have to music now, older people know Dizzee Rascal from his performance at the Brits, and younger audiences will have been introduced to songs by people such as Stevie Wonder through their covers by more recent bands. It's impressive that the festival has been going for 40 years, and the new kids on the block will be performing alongside the bands who laid the ground stones for their music.

Nick Kent

Rock journalist and author

You have all the big names there – Muse and U2 are probably the biggest rock bands in the world. It seems eclectic, but I wouldn't go near it. There is nothing on the main stage that I would waste my time watching, except Willie Nelson perhaps. It seems like they just picked up on what is happening at the moment. There is no context to it. In the 1970s, people went to festivals for the same reasons – to see the music and to mix with their own lifestyle tribe. I find rap acts very boring to watch live. U2 were crap when they began and are still vastly overrated and are one of the reasons why rock music is in such a pitiful state. When groups such as Muse and U2 are the most popular bands in the world, that is really shocking to me. There is plenty of good stuff out there. I like Beyoncé, Radiohead and Weezer, though I listen as much to jazz and classical music now as anything else.

Jamie Fullerton

News editor, NME

At Glastonbury you get headliners whose performance you'll remember for the rest of your life, but I don't see anything like that here. There were no massive surprises in the line-up; all the names had been rumoured for a long time. Snoop Dogg is the only one that stands out. I was surprised that Pendulum didn't make it on, as they were huge at Glastonbury last year and we thought they might be headlining this time. I think that Dizzee Rascal will be one of the highlights, and Foals always get ridiculous crowds. As Scissor Sisters have been off the radar for the past couple of years, it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. I don't think there will be a rigid plan to commemorate the 40th anniversary, but the festival has such an amazing history, it doesn't need to lean on it too much.

ahh most of them are pissed because its no longer free love for them as they are old and everyone thinks their dads. Then want it 15 years ago when they could smoke a joint and get it on with some girl rocking out to some obscure shit band they thought was good because they were high. I pay no attention to these people.

Earnie you made some good points. I believe they are going to go hard wit all the its, throw in one or two for the big fans but stay pretty mainstream and we'll hear one or two big hits from most albums (i wont get my Lemon, lets just realise that) I think, well more I HOPE its not the 360 show banged out on the Pyramid stage but rather a whole new 'hi people who bought tickets not for us, heres why you should think we rock' etc

i think they'll start with Vertigo into Elevation but I would love to see them rock out Until the End of the World because that is amazing!

I'll put bets on

I will Follow
With or Without You
ISHFWILF
Streets
Desire
Pride
Elevation
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
SBS
Mysterious Ways
One

all te regulars with maybe a few twists like Bad or Running to Stand Still something like that

really at the end of the day, i can't fucking fucking WAIT!
have added most of the acts b4 U2 to my playlist so i can be familiar with their stuff (as i've never listened to willie nelson, snoop dogg or vampire weekend before) cause im staying there allllllllll day! WOOT!

Stevie Wonder has been a tremendous bore for the past four decades.

That's the biggest load of shit I've ever heard. Maybe his stuff from the 80s on hasn't been top-notch, but to write him off in the 70s as well is complete garbage.

Superstition, boring? Higher Ground? Boring?

What a fucking crankypants hater.

Though I agree that Stevie Wonder's material from the 70s being top quality, 80s+90s+00s+10s does technically = four decades of being a "tremendous bore"

Some of those quotes are crazy, the most bizarre for me being "U2 were crap when they began and are still vastly overrated and are one of the reasons why rock music is in such a pitiful state". They are being pinpointed as one of the reasons rock music is as it is nowadays? Is that not a compliment? I'd take partial responsibility for being the reason Coldplay, Killers, Kings of Leon, etc etc exist as a good thing! And outside of the fanbase I don't think U2 are rated much at all. I think they are often viewed as BIG, not necessarily BRILLIANT though. To be fair to the writer, I think U2 were a bit crap in the earliest days though weren't they. Adam's contribution consisted of the word "gig" for a while so I've read. This is all part of attraction for me though, they are real people!

Moving on to Glasto itself, I am hoping for a unique show which is a step away from 360 but have no idea what to expect. I'll be keeping myself away from the 2010 360 setlists so if the show is a carbon copy of that, I won't know until I get home!

really at the end of the day, i can't fucking fucking WAIT!
have added most of the acts b4 U2 to my playlist so i can be familiar with their stuff (as i've never listened to willie nelson, snoop dogg or vampire weekend before) cause im staying there allllllllll day! WOOT!

I'll be there all day too I reckon to make sure I get a good spot at the front..see you there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom