July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend went to Dublin a few years ago and she didn't like the food, so she ate grilled cheeses everyday. I'm not planning on spending that much. A few souviners from Dublin and the concerts, food, and public transit. I'm not a big eater, so I don't have to worry about eating a big meal.

Looks like I'm exchanging over here long before I cross the sea. I will be doing ONLY CASH over there. I remember being in China and being charged everytime I needed cash, think they took 2.5% every withdrawel.

I'm looking into Traveler's Checks too. As good as cash I hear.

And while over there, I'm going to the grocery store to supply my stomach with needed nutrition. (staying in a hostel w/ oven, stove, fridge, and other cooking supplies) figure grocery shopping will cut my expenditures of going out to eat all the time. and buying my stock of beer at the grocery store, so if I feel like kicking up a buzz, I'll drink 2 beers before I go out to the pub. (is that cheating?)

I never use travelers checks when I travel. I use a AAA travel check card. I load it up with euro's before I head out of town. It is the greatest thing to have.

AAA South - Zip Check

I purchase the card through AAA before I left on my last trip over seas with Euros. I had a PIN and used it at the ATM. A co-worker suggested I do this, because she used it when she was overseas. I also did this because I did not want to bother with travelers cheques because I have heard they are not being used as much any more.

Anyway, the money placed into the account is separate from my bank account, so the beginning balance I had on there was an amount set by me before I left the US, this forced me to spend within my means. It became an enjoyable game to see how much a day I could live on while in Italy without being ridiculous with my spending habits. I ended up spending less than 40 euro a day in Italy for 7 days.

Good travel advice and using travelers checks is on Rick Steves' website:
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm
http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=14709

Information regarding the Visa travel card:

Use and Benefits
Visa TravelMoney is a prepaid reloadable Visa debit card which offers travelers a safe and convenient alternative to travelers checks and cash. Can be used everywhere Visa credit and debit cards are accepted.

Security and Convenience - Carry the card that provides the security of travelers checks and the convenience of a Visa card.
Easy to Use - Make purchases at millions of merchants worldwide that accept Visa debit cards including restaurants and shops. Obtain local currency at any Visa ATM around the world and avoid standing in line to exchange foreign currency.
Emergency Card and Cash Replacement - With Visa TravelMoney you can obtain emergency card and cash replacement virtually anywhere in the world, generally within one business day by calling 1-800-VISA-911 (1-800-8472-911).
Lost/Stolen Card Reporting - Makes it easy to report a lost or stolen Visa TravelMoney card. Just call 1-800-VISA-911, or from outside the U.S., call collect 0-410-581-9994.
Reload at your AAA Office - Cards can be reloaded where your card was purchased. Use cash, funds from your bank account, credit or debit card to reload you cards.
E-mail Alerts - Increase your awareness of your card account charges with instant alerts on your cell phone each time your card is used. Call by 1-866-674-9621 to set up your alert notification.
Lost Luggage Reimbursement* - Get reimbursement up to $250 per trip, $1,000 per cardholder to replace your luggage and its contents if an airline, train, cruise or bus line loses your checked or carry-on luggage. Reimbursement is not contingent upon the purchase of travel with the Visa TravelMoney card.
Purchase Security* - Within the first 90 days of the date of purchase, Purchase Security will replace, repair, or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your registered Visa TravelMoney® card up to a maximum of $500 per claim, in the event of theft, damage due to fire, vandalism, accidentally discharged water, or certain weather conditions.
Travel & Emergency Assistance* - Get translation assistance 24-hours a day, medical and legal referrals, emergency trip arrangements, and emergency messages to relatives.
*How do I get these services?
They're as close as the nearest phone. You simply call the Benefit Administrator at 1-800-VISA-911 any hour of the day or night. If you are outside the United States, call collect at 0-410-581-9994. Certain restrictions, limitations and exclusions apply. Visit Visa.com to verify the specific benefits and program details included with your Visa card.

Fees

Purchase fee applies. Consult your local AAA office for details.
The minimum card load is $100; maximum load is $3,000 daily in branch, $1,500 USD weekly online or phone.
Maximum balance on the card is $9,999
Reload fees may apply. Consult your local AAA office for details.
Up to 3 Companion cards for $1.50 each
ATM Fee domestic: $1.50
ATM Fee international: $3.00
Foreign Exchange markup: 3%
Account Maintenance Fee per month: $1.25 after 12 months of inactivity
Daily ATM limits and/or Over the Counter Cash Advance: $1,000 per day
Over the Counter Fees for cash advances: $5.00
Replacement cards: $5.95
Emergency Cash (amount available): up to $1,000
FAQ

(1) Where can I use my Visa TravelMoney Card?
Your card may be used anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. The brand marks on your card indicate where the card is accepted. The brand marks will be displayed on the store front or on the ATM machines. Your card can also be used for online and telephone purchases.

(2) How do I use my Visa TravelMoney Card?
You may use your card at any merchant point-of-sale terminal for signature based transactions (select "credit" option). You may also use your card at ATM or Bank Tellers to obtain cash. To do so, you will need to call the number provided on the back of your card to establish a PIN. All ATM options are subject to transaction fees.

(3) What if my Visa TravelMoney Card is lost or stolen?
If your card has been lost or stolen, contact customer service by calling the phone number provided on the back of your card (1-866-674-9621). You will be able to speak to a live agent and obtain a replacement card. There will be a $5.95 fee assessed to your card balance to replace your card.

(4) What can I do if there is fraud on my Visa TravelMoney Card?
If you notice transactions on your account that you have not made, contact customer service immediately (1-866-674-9621). They will follow normal dispute processes to investigate the fraudulent transactions.

(5) Can I get an Emergency Visa TravelMoney Card Replacement or Emergency Cash?
The Visa TravelMoney Card does offer both of these options. You must call the toll-free number listed on your card package (1-800-847-2911 in the U.S.) for more information.

(6) What if I forgot my PIN?
You can reset your PIN by contacting customer service by calling the phone number provided on the back of your card (1-866-674-9621). You will need to speak with a live agent who will ask you questions to verify your identity and then reset your PIN.

(7) How do I change my PIN?
You may change your PIN by contacting customer service by calling the phone number provided on the back of your card (1-866-674-9621). Listen to the voice prompts to change your PIN.

(8) How can I add funds to my Visa TravelMoney Card?
You may add funds to your card as many times as you wish as long as you do not exceed $1,500 weekly online or by phone, or more than $3,000 daily at a AAA branch office.

(9) How do I get a list of my balance or transactions?
Click here to obtain your current balance or a list of all your transactions or by calling customer service at the phone number provided on the back of your card (1-866-674-9621). Please note that the website will not display authorizations but only completed transactions.

(10) Can I use my Visa TravelMoney Card in a foreign country?
Yes, your card will be accepted worldwide, excluding current OFAC sanctioned countries. Current countries that are sanctioned are:

Belarus
Burma
Congo
Cote D'Ivoire
Cuba
Iran
Iraq
Liberia
North Korea
Sudan
Syria
Western Balkans
Zimbabwe
(11) How do I get cash from my Visa TravelMoney Card?
You may obtain cash from your card at any ATM location that bears the brand mark that is displayed on your card. You may also visit a bank and do an over the counter cash withdrawal. All of these options are subject to transaction fees.

(12) Can I use my Visa Gift Card at the "pay at the pump" gas stations?
Your card can be used at automatic fuel dispensers; however, an authorization of $75 or more may be posted to your account. This authorization may not be deleted from your account for several days. To prevent a potential over-authorization, we suggest that you pay for your gas in the service station.

(13) Can I still make a purchase if I don't have enough money on my Visa TravelMoney Card?
Most merchants can run a split-tender transaction which will allow you to pay a portion of your purchase with your card and the remaining balance with another form of payment. Since this is a prepaid card, you may only use the amount of money you have available on your card. If you create a negative balance on your card, you are responsible for the negative balance. You may also be charged a fee for the overdraft.

(14) Are there any fees associated with my Visa TravelMoney Card?
We do bill nominal fees for the use of the card. Please reference your terms and conditions for the associated fees or click here to view online.

(15) How does the companion Visa TravelMoney Card work?
You may request up to three companion cards (at the time of purchase only) which will all have different card numbers but will share the same account information and balance as the primary Visa TravelMoney Card. All cards will be fully functional but if one becomes lost/stolen, you may cancel it without impacting the use of your other cards.

(16) How much cash can be withdrawn daily?
You may withdraw up to $1,000 or a total of three transactions per day.

(17) What other benefits are associated with my Visa TravelMoney Card?
Visa TravelMoney benefits include:

Security and Convenience - Carry the card that provides the security of travelers checks and the convenience of a Visa card.
Easy to Use - Make purchases at the 25 million merchants worldwide that accept Visa debit cards including restaurants and shops. Obtain local currency at over 1 million Visa ATMs around the world and avoid standing in line to exchange foreign currency.
Emergency Card and Cash Replacement - With Visa TravelMoney you can obtain emergency card and cash replacement virtually anywhere in the world, generally within one business day.
Lost/Stolen Card Reporting - Makes it easy to report a lost or stolen Visa TravelMoney card. Just call 1-800-VISA-911, or from outside the U.S., call collect 0-410-581-9994.
Reloadable - Cards can be reloaded where the cards were purchased. Use cash, funds from your bank account, credit or debit card to reload your cards.
Lost Luggage Reimbursement - Get reimbursement up to $250 per trip, $1,000 per cardholder to replace your luggage and its contents if an airline, train, cruise or bus line loses your checked or carry-on luggage. Reimbursement is not contingent upon the purchase of travel with the Visa TravelMoney card.
Purchase Security - Within the first 90 days of the date of purchase, Purchase Security will replace, repair or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your registered Visa TravelMoney® card up to a maximum of $500 per claim, in the event of theft, damage due to fire, vandalism, accidentally discharged water or certain weather conditions.
Travel & Emergency Assistance- Get translation assistance 24-hours a day, medical and legal referrals, emergency trip arrangements, and emergency messages to relatives.
E-mail Alerts - Increase your awareness of your card account charges with instant alerts on your cell phone each time your card is used. Call 1-866-674-9621 to set up your alert notification.
Certain restrictions, limitations and exclusions apply. Visit Visa.com to verify the specific benefits and program details included with your Visa card.
(18) How do I get these services?
You simply call the Benefit Administrator at 1-800-VISA-911 any hour of the day or night. If you are outside the United States, call collect at 0-410-581-9994.

(19) What is the International Exchange Rate?
The International Exchange Rate is 3%.

(20) What is the minimum age to purchase a Travel Card?
You must be 16 years or older to purchase a Travel Card.

Ok. I'm going to look into that. I work for US Airways in Philly and I have to work the International flights tomorrow and there is a currency place in that terminal, so I'm going to go in and ask and get information. I usually work for the US flights in terminal B, but tomorrow I have to work in terminal A-west.

It's definitely worth checking around a bit before you decide how to get $$ while in Dublin. When I studied in London in college I know that I got a horrible exchange rate on my Visa, I payed a lot in fees for using my debit card and I also paid a lot in fees at the ATM. I didn't watch it as closely as I should have. Whoops, thanks for covering me Mom and Dad! :D

Anyhow, thanks for the info on calling the credit card companies...great idea! I plan to call the cc companies and the bank this week to see where they stand.

I did do some research on the project value of the dollar to the euro, and the euro is projected to strengthen a bit against the dollar this summer. I'll do more research though.

Thanks for the info so far, it's been a few years since I traveled over seas!

I'm thinking of doing mostly cash. Maybe some traveler's checks too. If I do use a credit card it would be to buy memorablia at the concert.

Absolutley. What I woudn't give to not to have to worry about money anymore

I would give ONE good idea

and to be tangent or adjacent, whichever I may be to the topic.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the SpiderMan Broadway songs being written by U2. Closest date I found to release is FEB 16th-18th of 2010.

I hope it comes out on the 16th because that's my birthday (Laura)

I don't get how someone can not like the food in Dublin. :huh: Not liking Irish food okay, but it's a big city and you can get food from almost any culture there!

I would give ONE good idea

and to be tangent or adjacent, whichever I may be to the topic.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the SpiderMan Broadway songs being written by U2. Closest date I found to release is FEB 16th-18th of 2010.

I hope it comes out on the 16th because that's my birthday (Laura)

That's my dad's birthday too. I heard the 12th it is supposed to come out.

The Food will be great, I'm sure

But I'll only go out to eat maybe 8 meals, most of which being lunch and they'll be cheap bang for your buck places.

My friend went to Dublin a few years ago and she didn't like the food, so she ate grilled cheeses everyday. I'm not planning on spending that much. A few souviners from Dublin and the concerts, food, and public transit. I'm not a big eater, so I don't have to worry about eating a big meal.

Hey Laura :wave: I agree! I'll probably spend more money on drink than on food! Also -- re: getting Euros beforehand -- I would recommend that you get a small amount of Euros before you leave the states -- but if you're doing cash, I would exchange the rest from US travelers checks when you get to Ireland. In my experience, you can almost always get a better exchange rate there than here.

I don't get how someone can not like the food in Dublin. :huh: Not liking Irish food okay, but it's a big city and you can get food from almost any culture there!

Is it weird for me that when anyone mentions Irish food or culture I just kind of stare at them wondering what the hell they're on about? Seriously what is Irish food? :lol:

Is it weird for me that when anyone mentions Irish food or culture I just kind of stare at them wondering what the hell they're on about? Seriously what is Irish food? :lol:

boxty, irish stew, brown bread for starters. and potatoes, potatoes, and some potatoes to go with your potatoes...

:giggle:

i love how they sneak in potatoes on your entree when it's not even in the entree description.. That just cracked me up the last time I was there and that happened.. :lol:

The Guinness brewery is a must visit for any beer fans.

Yup. A friend that works with my wife is from Dublin and his sister works for Guinness. He's arranged with her a little "insiders tour" for us between shows 2 and 3. :hyper:

I hope we're able to find our way's back to Croke Park ;)

All I know is Irish stew or the breakfast, Irish sausages with mash and white beans in red sauce(though that could be seen as British too). :hmm:

I don't see potatoes as Irish, since we use them a lot too. :wink:

I'm totally looking forward to the breakfast. :wink:

Looks like I'm exchanging over here long before I cross the sea. I will be doing ONLY CASH over there. I remember being in China and being charged everytime I needed cash, think they took 2.5% every withdrawel.

I'm looking into Traveler's Checks too. As good as cash I hear.

And while over there, I'm going to the grocery store to supply my stomach with needed nutrition. (staying in a hostel w/ oven, stove, fridge, and other cooking supplies) figure grocery shopping will cut my expenditures of going out to eat all the time. and buying my stock of beer at the grocery store, so if I feel like kicking up a buzz, I'll drink 2 beers before I go out to the pub. (is that cheating?)

Not cheating at all, done things like that in the past and every chance I'll be doing the same thing again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom