December 13th and 14th 2010 - ANZ Stadium - Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^But there's no train station near the Olympic Park.

There's the Lidcombe station, which is far away from the stadium. If I'm going to line up early in the morning, should I just walk from the Lidcombe station to the Olympic Park?

There's the Lidcombe station, which is far away from the stadium. If I'm going to line up early in the morning, should I just walk from the Lidcombe station to the Olympic Park?

I have no clue but I thought I read somewhere that there's a special Olympic Park "loop" for event days that goes to a station really close to the stadium?

But I'm not sure I just read this Sydney Olympic Park - CityRail but can any Sydneysiders give any info?

you have to be able to find something cheaper than that - nutty nutty nutty - even for sydney :crack:

have you tried lastminute.com? you can usually swing some pretty good deals there

http://www.lastminute.com.au/

and in my experience, the special event buses that they run seem to be the better option

http://www.131500.com.au/events

they don't have U2 listed yet but it's a fantastic site for figuring out the best way to get around :)

I'm staying at the Novotel Sydney Olympic Park for a total of $1528 AUS.

Does anyone here think I'm crazy?:huh:

yes - completely bonkers!

If you really want to spend that kind of money on a hotel, try for somewhere in the city at least - the Novotel at Olympic Park has a view of lots and lots and lots of concrete - tis in the middle of precisely not very much at all - for that price you would surely be able to find a room that shows off the prettiness that is Sydney :)

From my understanding trains run from Lidcombe to Olympic Park regularly (ie every 10 minutes) regardless of there being event in the area.

As for the hotel, my brother and I are staying at Formula1 for 5 nights for ~$800. It's nothing fancy, but we wanted to be close to ANZ & Acer.

Wow - that's massively expensive, the Novotel I mean. The plus side is that it's so close you could open the windows and listen clearly to the soundcheck and belt it out while you're in the shower (sing, I mean).

Yes, the Olympic Park station is by far the best. Right next door to the stadium. Trains do go there all the time - just way less of them when there's nothing going on. Concord West is also a relatively short walk. Immediately after the gig, if you hate just getting stuck in massive crowds going nowhere, legging it to Concord West will no doubt take longer than just dealing with the Olympic Park crush, but it might be a nicer, calmer way of getting out.

If you are staying in the city, the coolest way of getting back is via boat. If you've got a group, it might not actually cost that much per person. Good way to end the night if you are an out of towner, plus the band do it, so you never know who you'll bump into on the dock?

If you really want to spend that kind of money on a hotel, try for somewhere in the city at least - the Novotel at Olympic Park has a view of lots and lots and lots of concrete - tis in the middle of precisely not very much at all - for that price you would surely be able to find a room that shows off the prettiness that is Sydney :)
yes! for that much cash you could get yourself a nice suite at circular quay or something. and then take a ferry to get you to the area? ferry+u2+circular quay = best day ever :drool:

yep, it's been confirmed. hyatt has (imo) the best view in that part of sydney and you can get a room for a$800/night. nice room with a view of the opera house and harbour with a private balcony. a ridiculous amount of cash yes, but at least there it's worth it!

There's the Lidcombe station, which is far away from the stadium. If I'm going to line up early in the morning, should I just walk from the Lidcombe station to the Olympic Park

There has to be a train station near by (as some others have pointed out already anyway). but hey, as Earnie said, you can keep us posted on soundcheck :giggle:

^ yes, the Olympic Park train station is smack in the middle of Olympic Park!

and I love Khanada's idea :heart: the Hyatt is incredible; a proper grown up gorgeous experience; and catching a ferry / rivercat to the gig would be a beautiful way to experience the glory of the harbour for a relatively small outlay

and to anyone else looking for rooms ~ I'd suggest booking now; local tv and radio are awash with ridiculous Oprah speculation already and it is apparently causing an upsurge in bookings, especially around the harbour (as her big show is the 14th Dec, I think on the steps of the Opera House)

good luck

hope I'm lucky enough to bump into some of you while you are here :)

Hey guys. I've regained my sense and canceled my 4-night reservation at the Novotel in the Olympic Park. However, the Formula 1 is sold out.:sad:

I've sent a reservation request to the Concord Hotel in Concord West, but I haven't heard back from them.:waiting:

I'm currently looking into hotels in the CBD. The hotels around the Circular Quay seem really pricey.

I'm trying to stay $800 USD or under this time. I prefer a hotel that's near a railway station and near a Westpac ATM.:)

Any recommendations?

Plus- If I'll be staying in the CBD, what is the best way to avoid the post-show crush at the Olympic Park railway station?:huh:

yeah circular quay is really pricey, i couldn't afford to stay there when i visited last month even with having a coupon for a free night at intercontinental.

i can suggest where i stayed while i was there, the holiday inn in chinatown. it's not a bad area (it's across the road from the sydney entertainment centre actually) or anything. plus it's got a rail stop nearby, but also bus and monorail stops nearby if you can use those as alternatives to the rail.

but yeah, sadly the best way to avoid the crush would be to leave the show early but i wouldn't recommend that. :wink: last year in chicago i just took my sweet time getting down to the buses. it ended up working in my favour because they took so long getting their act together i got there just as the first bus arrived. still managed to not just get on the bus but even got a seat. :cool:

with this ferry between stadium and city idea, I've had a quick look at the ferry service website but do they operate services late at night to the city? The latest one i saw was at about 10.30 pm but then again i did only quickly scan over it...any one know?

Hey guys. I just might have a shot at the Concord Hotel on Victoria Ave in Concord West. (Thanks Earnie!)

According to Google Maps, I have to hoof it eastward on the Great Western Hwy and then turn north on Concord Rd in order to get from ANZ Stadium to Victoria Ave.

Would it be possible to just cut across Bicentennial Park?

Oh my lord ~ that would be one helluva walk

Which end of Victoria Avenue are you?

I threw Victoria Avenue, Concord West to ANZ Stadium into the 131500 (transport info line site) and this is what it came up with . . . and cutting through Bicentennial park . . . unless you are with a bunch of others I'm not entirely sure I'd advise it, it's kind of huge!

131500 Transport Infoline - Trip Planner Confirmation

Oh my lord ~ that would be one helluva walk

Which end of Victoria Avenue are you?

I threw Victoria Avenue, Concord West to ANZ Stadium into the 131500 (transport info line site) and this is what it came up with . . . and cutting through Bicentennial park . . . unless you are with a bunch of others I'm not entirely sure I'd advise it, it's kind of huge!

The Concord Hotel is on the east side of the Concord West railway station. The people at the hotel are giving me a great deal ($100 AUD per night, I think).

Earnie said that walking to Concord West would be a good option, rather than deal with the post-show crush at the Olympic Park railway station.:shrug:

Please don't tell me that it would be unsafe for me to leg 6.2 km after the show. And what's wrong with Bicentennial Park? I thought Sydney was a nice, safe city.:reject:

:) there's nothing wrong with Bicentennial Park at all ~ it's gorgeous ~ just HUGE and a 6 km walk is a considerable distance (and, I'll confess, I am a bit of a chicken at night :reject:) especially at night.

I've actually never had a problem with the post show crush ~ I usually just wait nice and patiently for the madding hordes to leave and manage to jump on a bus easy peasy :) ~ I have heard the crush for the train is worse, but seeing as I haven't ever caught the train (always been lucky enough to live near pick up and drop off points for the event buses that run) I guess mayhaps I am no expert :D

Where you are staying sounds great though ~ Concord's really central and just down the road at Haberfield (on Majors Bay Road) you can get yourself some of the best coffee in Sydney :heart: ~ actually some of the best bakeries and Italian food as well, without the stupid prices you pay in some of the areas that pride themselves on their foodworthiness :)

the post show crush isn't like catching a train in Japan or Korea. it's really not that bad at all.

Sorry. It's just that every now and then I get flashbacks from the GA stampede at the Rose Bowl one year ago.:uhoh:

. . . and, at any rate, you could always mosy on over to the Novotel for an overpriced bevvy or 3 before you make your merry way home :wink:

bevvy = beverage?:scratch:

OK, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment regarding the choice for a hotel in Sydney. What is the best option, considering that I also want to do some sightseeing in Sydney in the days after the concert (will be in Sydney until Friday December 17th)? Book near the stadium or in Sydney itself (and then, where is a good area to stay)? Or do both (book near stadium for the show days and then move into the city)?
:help:

If you want to get a hotel near the stadium, you're out of luck. The Formule 1 (supposedly one of the "cheapest" places) is long sold out. And all the others in the Olympic Park will charge you an arm and a leg and a head.

My suggestion is to stay at a place in the CBD, preferably near a railway station. There are tons of hotels there. However, I doubt you'll find anything under $600 AUD.:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom