U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
more 90's plz

I think the setlists are great so far, and I'm thrilled they're playing Ultraviolet, but something from Pop would be nice. Guess we'll see if IGWSHA appears, though as awesome as that would be I'd rather hear a more high-energy song like Disco, Mofo, LNOE, or Gone (or DYFL :drool: I guess that's not suuuper high energy but it's one of my favourites)

but yea, I am very much looking forward to Chicago and if the set is basically like it has been I won't complain. It's good stuff.

i think the set list is a work in progress. it's only the first what 2 shows so far? they're still getting a feel on how the audience responds to the songs. i do think the staging, lights, technology deserves some additional 90's songs.
close the 1st set with streets
open the 1st encore with mofo followed by HMKMKMTM, then The Fly. close with UV.
2nd encore. full band version of WGRYWH,drowning man, MOS.

i know i'm dreaming.

more 90's plz

I think the setlists are great so far, and I'm thrilled they're playing Ultraviolet, but something from Pop would be nice. Guess we'll see if IGWSHA appears, though as awesome as that would be I'd rather hear a more high-energy song like Disco, Mofo, LNOE, or Gone (or DYFL :drool: I guess that's not suuuper high energy but it's one of my favourites)

but yea, I am very much looking forward to Chicago and if the set is basically like it has been I won't complain. It's good stuff.

You left out the best one! I mean, I would absolutely LOVE to hear any of the songs you mentioned live, but the one that I would give all of the above up for, one of the 2 or 3 most mind-blowing live performances of their career, is full-band Please. :)

Of the ones you listed, I'd take Mofo first. :)

Please :drool:

Its really the only song I NEED from Pop on this tour. Though I would gladly take Gone, Dead Man, and IGWSHA.

You left out the best one! I mean, I would absolutely LOVE to hear any of the songs you mentioned live, but the one that I would give all of the above up for, one of the 2 or 3 most mind-blowing live performances of their career, is full-band Please. :)

Of the ones you listed, I'd take Mofo first. :)

yes Please would also be completely amazing, you're right. I guess I was thinking of the more upbeat songs, but Please live is one of the best things the band has ever done.

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
mysterious ways
until the end of the world
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
please
moment of surrender
where the streets have no name
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
mofo
Crazy Tonight
ultraviolet light

Encore:
stand up comedy
desire (lovetown style, more solos)
angel of harlem

encore 2:

With Or Without You
bad

_________
tweaked to be my perfect setlist.

Obviously U2 made improvements from night 1 to night 2, so they are getting closer. Still not there, tho, and yeah the comparisons to Bruce are natural and generally unflattering (the guy brings it for 2.5+ hrs, 26-28 songs a night). By comparison, U2's first show checked in at 2.10, and minus the dumb link-up, the cringe-inducing Bono speeches, you are looking at 2 hrs of music. In fairness, today's show included an extra 2 songs...like I said before, improvement.

On the whole I agree with some of the earlier posters, there are too many slower numbers and not enough upbeat stadium rockers. With this stage, that U2 would almost entirely ignore their 1990's output is almost unforgiveable. With all due respect to In A Little While, no one was clamoring for its return after a one-tour absence. Meanwhile a song like Hold Me Thrill Me collects cobwebs...just not right.

I also agree that some of the "warhorses" need a break. Bullet was at the top of the list, at least 1.5 tours overdue for a breather, and the band thankfully agreed. But I do NOT view SBS/Pride/WOWY as "requisite" songs (in contrast to Streets/One/BD/Vert), and these three should rotate in and out and not be staples. Let's be honest, anyone with a 1987 or 1989 bootleg knows full well Bono cannot sing WOWY anymore. I think the UTTEOTW/NYD back-to-back that was a staple of the last 4 tours has yet to be adequately replaced. The versions of SBS/Pride/WOWY are stale and need some air.

The great: Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, and Electrical Storm. All 3 great songs. Well done. Bullet/Elevation to the bench = agree. last album only Vertigo and COBL survive = the less, the better.

The good: Angel of Harlem, Desire, Party Girl, MLK, Walk On, COBL, playing "the good half" of the new album, for the most part

The bad: "remix" of Crazy Tonight, absence of songs from 1993-1997 (HMTMKMKM is the most obvious should-be returnee, but Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Disco, etc...any of these would be welcomed by hardcore and casual fan alike). Admit that Zooropa is tough record to translate live, don't want to see 2009 Bono attempt to sing Lemon (see also: WOWY).

The horrible: stupid, stupid, stupid masks. Awful overwrought speeches.

:applaud: Great post.

Obviously U2 made improvements from night 1 to night 2, so they are getting closer. Still not there, tho, and yeah the comparisons to Bruce are natural and generally unflattering (the guy brings it for 2.5+ hrs, 26-28 songs a night). By comparison, U2's first show checked in at 2.10, and minus the dumb link-up, the cringe-inducing Bono speeches, you are looking at 2 hrs of music. In fairness, today's show included an extra 2 songs...like I said before, improvement.

On the whole I agree with some of the earlier posters, there are too many slower numbers and not enough upbeat stadium rockers. With this stage, that U2 would almost entirely ignore their 1990's output is almost unforgiveable. With all due respect to In A Little While, no one was clamoring for its return after a one-tour absence. Meanwhile a song like Hold Me Thrill Me collects cobwebs...just not right.

I also agree that some of the "warhorses" need a break. Bullet was at the top of the list, at least 1.5 tours overdue for a breather, and the band thankfully agreed. But I do NOT view SBS/Pride/WOWY as "requisite" songs (in contrast to Streets/One/BD/Vert), and these three should rotate in and out and not be staples. Let's be honest, anyone with a 1987 or 1989 bootleg knows full well Bono cannot sing WOWY anymore. I think the UTTEOTW/NYD back-to-back that was a staple of the last 4 tours has yet to be adequately replaced. The versions of SBS/Pride/WOWY are stale and need some air.

The great: Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, and Electrical Storm. All 3 great songs. Well done. Bullet/Elevation to the bench = agree. last album only Vertigo and COBL survive = the less, the better.

The good: Angel of Harlem, Desire, Party Girl, MLK, Walk On, COBL, playing "the good half" of the new album, for the most part

The bad: "remix" of Crazy Tonight, absence of songs from 1993-1997 (HMTMKMKM is the most obvious should-be returnee, but Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Disco, etc...any of these would be welcomed by hardcore and casual fan alike). Admit that Zooropa is tough record to translate live, don't want to see 2009 Bono attempt to sing Lemon (see also: WOWY).

The horrible: stupid, stupid, stupid masks. Awful overwrought speeches.

As much as alot of fanboys knock you for what U said, what you have written makes alot of sense...

Bono and Co. totally sold out this time round...
Clueless, spineless and gutless, from the album to the 'mega' tour.
It is pathetic and sad to see this 4 guys just grinding it out now, even though what is alot out there is just as shit.

As much as alot of fanboys knock you for what U said, what you have written makes alot of sense...

Bono and Co. totally sold out this time round...
Clueless, spineless and gutless, from the album to the 'mega' tour.
It is pathetic and sad to see this 4 guys just grinding it out now, even though what is alot out there is just as shit.

I can see why you only have 8 posts in nine years of being on Interference. You really choose your words wisely. Can't wait for your next insight in 2011. I hope it's as vague and unfounded as "U2Z SODLZ OWT1!!1"

The only thing I could possibly ask for is that they add Stand Up Comedy and Fez-Being Born in addition to what they're playing already from the new album. I'd really like to see 8 - 9 of the new songs performed every night. At the very least F-BB should be opening the encore at every show, followed by Ultraviolet, etc., and maybe put SUC in rotation with Mysterious Ways or something else around that spot. I certainly wouldn't say no to some WAS or COL snippets every now and then from Bono. Overall I'm a happy camper with the way they're doing things so far, and to be honest I'm thrilled just by the fact that they're touring, and on this scale to boot.

I can see why you only have 8 posts in nine years of being on Interference. You really choose your words wisely. Can't wait for your next insight in 2011. I hope it's as vague and unfounded as "U2Z SODLZ OWT1!!1"

versus your wisdom filled 10,000+ post in 5 yrs. i agree with you, quantity over quality is what counts.
here's a tip, why don't you respond to his/her post without the dumb teenage internet grammar.

I think they could at least snippet WAS and COL somewhere on this tour, at least I hope so.

The only thing I could possibly ask for is that they add Stand Up Comedy and Fez-Being Born in addition to what they're playing already from the new album. I'd really like to see 8 - 9 of the new songs performed every night. At the very least F-BB should be opening the encore at every show, followed by Ultraviolet, etc., and maybe put SUC in rotation with Mysterious Ways or something else around that spot. I certainly wouldn't say no to some WAS or COL snippets every now and then from Bono. Overall I'm a happy camper with the way they're doing things so far, and to be honest I'm thrilled just by the fact that they're touring, and on this scale to boot.

My thoughts verbatum. :up:

Can this now not be merged with the setlists complaints thread? i mean after all thats what its turned into yet again.

From what I have read, heard and seen (i.e. not in any way comparable to being there):

1. Need to remove the space-chat segment because it kills the momentum/mood
2. Breathe isn't the best opener, so perhaps Magnificent would be better (or even GOYB?)
3. Tutu segment prior to Streets is a momentum killer. Streets is better with another track seguing into it (Bad, RTSS, AIWIY, Please)
4. Moment of Surrender is a song I am ambivalent about but hoped it could be the Love is Blindness of this tour. Unfortunately the crowd seemed disinterested.
5. Add a couple of all-out rockers (Electric Co, UTEOTW, The Fly, Gone, Electrical Storm, New York, Dirty Day, Wire, Exit etc. etc.)
6. The masks need to go. I admire the sentiment but the song is tribute enough - the masks are tacky, awkward and a bit weird.
7. Claw & screens seem under-utilised for songs like GOYB & Vertigo...

Having been there, a few remarks:

1. The Space Chat isn't part of the show anymore
2. Breathe is an excellent opener, NLOTH a very good second song. I wasn't sure about it but now I believe they're doing it right
3. The Tutu speech is very lovely, well done, funny, not lecturing, not in any way a "momentum killer". The only thing I find weird about it is that it says ONE in the end, so that many people who don't know the setlist believe that One is the next song.
4. Moment of Surrender is a beautiful closer, Bono's voice is in great form, even though the song seems to take a lot out of him. The crowd isn't "desinterested", many of them just don't know this song. I only wish Bono wouldn't insist on all the Oh oh ohs, the song could work without the forced crowd participation. Not every songs needs to have the audience jumping or singing, some songs just need to be heard, and this is one of them.
5. Agree about the rockers, but Amsterdam II and Dublin I have been the best setlists that I've seen before, with the exception of One, which should be in the second part of the show, not in the first - just my opinion.
6. Bono shouldn't insist on the audience wearing the masks, but otherwise I don't mind the masks, I don't think it's a horrible idea to have the people come up on the catwalk, but I thought it was awful seeing people making fun of the masks, trampling upon them and so on. I also think the mask-drama is exaggerated on this board.
7. Main problem for the Claw is the daylight in the first half of the show, otherwise it's great, light show is perfect if you see it from the stands, not GA. The screen isn't there for effects, but serves mostly as a video screen. I like the effects on Magnificent, the NLOTH ones aren't so great, because you don't see them properly. The expanded screen is amazing, but only if you're a little farther in the back. If you're directly underneath it, it doesn't do much for you (except over-straining your neck muscles).

I'm fine with this set. U2 will NEVER be able to satisfy everyone, and we all know some people will always find something to complain about.

I would like them to bring back Electrical Storm, even if they feel it doesn't work out 100 %, just keep on trying.

Generally I notice less "speech time" for Bono and no more typical One speeches; the speeches I've heard personally or on bootlegs have been very decent so far, so there shouldn't be much to complain about here.

versus your wisdom filled 10,000+ post in 5 yrs. i agree with you, quantity over quality is what counts.
here's a tip, why don't you respond to his/her post without the dumb teenage internet grammar.

well it just seemed quite silly to me for someone who hasn't posted in 3 years to bump a month-old thread just to say "Bono and Co totally sold out" ( :rolleyes: hate that indie kid mentality) without any elaboration. How exactly did they "sell out"? It makes no sense. If you noticed the sarcasm in my post then maybe you'd realize I'm saying the post was of poor quality. i have nothing against people with low post counts (that would be stupid, who cares about that), just people who come in and make unfounded negative comments about U2 without contributing anything positive. being critical is fine, but if you don't like the band at all then why post here?

and I agree with silkensky, SUC and Fez would be awesome additions to the set. I still really wish they'd open with Fez (recording) into Being Born (live), but I'm fine with Breathe as an opener.

What is my main problem with the setlist? The lack of rotation is an issue and with each new record it is becoming more of an issue. If 360 was a concept-driven show along the lines of ZOO tv or PopMart, I would happily stomach a fairly static setlist but thus far, I don't think 360 is like that. But the question of rotation is not my main concern- rather it is the continuing absence of 90s material from the set. Many of us on interference will agree that they made some damn fine songs in that era, songs which would translate brilliantly live. When we mention Gone, Discotheque and HMTMKMKM (for instance) we are not talking about obscure tracks but songs prominent enough to feature on the Best Of U2. It is simply not good enough to airbrush them from the past as though they never existed.

But the question of rotation is not my main concern- rather it is the continuing absence of 90s material from the set. Many of us on interference will agree that they made some damn fine songs in that era, songs which would translate brilliantly live. When we mention Gone, Discotheque and HMTMKMKM (for instance) we are not talking about obscure tracks but songs prominent enough to feature on the Best Of U2. It is simply not good enough to airbrush them from the past as though they never existed.

this, I do agree with. Although, despite being on a Best Of, they're simply not as well known as a lot of other U2 hits ... look at U218 if you want to get an idea of the most well-known U2 songs, or what U2 think their best songs are, or something. idk. lack of 90's is my only problem with the set really. I'm glad they at least brought back UTEOTW, and played Stay. :up:(and of course I'm thrilled with UV)

What is my main problem with the setlist? The lack of rotation is an issue and with each new record it is becoming more of an issue. If 360 was a concept-driven show along the lines of ZOO tv or PopMart, I would happily stomach a fairly static setlist but thus far, I don't think 360 is like that. But the question of rotation is not my main concern- rather it is the continuing absence of 90s material from the set. Many of us on interference will agree that they made some damn fine songs in that era, songs which would translate brilliantly live. When we mention Gone, Discotheque and HMTMKMKM (for instance) we are not talking about obscure tracks but songs prominent enough to feature on the Best Of U2. It is simply not good enough to airbrush them from the past as though they never existed.

It's not concept driven but there are some very defined movements within the set. It doesn't come across as much on paper but in person there are some definate segueway/gateway songs between sections and the setlist has a pretty organic flow to it. I believe the main reason they've been limited in the songs they've rotated in and out despite actually rehearsing four or five alternative songs and not using them is they're concentrating on keep the flow. They've always been anal about setlists and song positions. This also fits into what Willie Williams stated about Drowning Man, they want to play the song but just can't find a suitable place in the setlist for it without it altering the mood of the set.

To illustrate this on paper the segue between Crazy Tonight remix and SBS probably shouldn't work, I'd been arguing for a Pop era song like Discotheque or Mofo or Gone to fit in there but really it just works and they're probably right not to mess it much.

They'll continue to try songs in rehearsal and more songs will filter into the sets.

It's not concept driven but there are some very defined movements within the set. It doesn't come across as much on paper but in person there are some definate segueway/gateway songs between sections and the setlist has a pretty organic flow to it. I believe the main reason they've been limited in the songs they've rotated in and out despite actually rehearsing four or five alternative songs and not using them is they're concentrating on keep the flow. They've always been anal about setlists and song positions. This also fits into what Willie Williams stated about Drowning Man, they want to play the song but just can't find a suitable place in the setlist for it without it altering the mood of the set.

so what are the segues and movements within the set? I have only listened to several of the bootlegs, but i haven't heard any segues. there is the cool intro to bd, the crazy-sbs , and the acoustic section- other than those what is there that are gateway songs / segues. i haven't heard them on the bootlegs, in fact this seems to be the most disjointed u2 show i have ever heard. i think they are still working on it, and it will evolve and get better but right now, i don't think that is a very valid argument for the static setlist.

so what are the segues and movements within the set? I have only listened to several of the bootlegs, but i haven't heard any segues. there is the cool intro to bd, the crazy-sbs , and the acoustic section- other than those what is there that are gateway songs / segues. i haven't heard them on the bootlegs, in fact this seems to be the most disjointed u2 show i have ever heard. i think they are still working on it, and it will evolve and get better but right now, i don't think that is a very valid argument for the static setlist.

Try attending a show. There's a very definite flow to the set and the staging.

Try attending a show. There's a very definite flow to the set and the staging.

I will be attending 4 in the US, but can't get to Europe- so kind of why I am asking the question.
So, you only know it when you are there? You really can't articulate it? I am not saying there isn't a flow, i just asked where you thought the definite sections were. Thanks for not answering my question, and being condescending about it- way to make your point.

On all the other tours, it was quite clear the feel and flow from the bootlegs as well as being there (i have seen 27 shows since zootv). To act like it only comes across when you are there in person is ridiculous. Its pretty clear when you watch any of the DVD's what the movements and different sections are.

Back
Top Bottom