So'll long Magnificent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magnificent would fit perfectly well in the setlist between Beautiful Day and Pride, taking Elevation's place (which I think is slightly awkward there, although not quite on the level of a terrible transition).

there can't be a transition worse than a couple from the V tour: elevation/nyd/BD and zoo st/fly/wowy still scream for vengeance after all these years...and they kept them for 20+ shows...

:huh:

those summer 2005 setlists were very, very bad, in terms of choice of songs, transitions and flow.
this was the "standard" 2005 setlist:

1. Vertigo
  2. I Will Follow
  3. The Electric Co.
  4. Elevation
  5. New Year's Day
  6. Beautiful Day
  7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  8. All I Want Is You
  9. City Of Blinding Lights
  10. Miracle Drug
  11. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
  12. Love And Peace Or Else
  13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  14. Bullet The Blue Sky
  15. Miss Sarajevo
  16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
  17. Where The Streets Have No Name
  18. One
    encore(s):
  19. Zoo Station
  20. The Fly
  21. With Or Without You
  22. All Because Of You
  23. Yahweh
  24. Vertigo

and this is what it should have been, IMHO:

1. vertigo
2. aboy (bono guitar)
3. elevation
4. bd
5. follow
6. electric co/control/gloria
7. original (edge piano)
8. ny day (slow piano intro, as in bruxelles 2005)
9. found
10. city
11. miracle
12. sometimes
13. love and peace
14. sbs
15. bullet
16. miss sarajevo/running
17. pride
18. streets
19. one
------------------------------
20. zoo st/until
21. fly
22. wild horses/myst ways
23. wowy
------------------------------------------------------------
24. yaweh
25. all i want/bad/40

You have obviously never heard Stingray into Beautiful Day.

I have ;-)

in person, the very first time it was done, Turin 2010. it was awful, and they kept it for 30 odd gigs. stubborn Irishmen!!!!

can it be any worse than little while into miss sarajevo? maybe.

fact: u2 setlists, 2005 onwards, in terms of flow and transitions are not as good as they used to be through 2001.

Magnificent is back!!!!:applaud: Please stay a while!! All the way to Moncton!!!!:D:D

Really? In place of The Fly??

The Fly >>>>>>>>>> Magnificent, its not even close.

It is good that at least it is the original version as the intro to the song is the only cool part for me.

Really? In place of The Fly??

The Fly >>>>>>>>>> Magnificent, its not even close.

It is good that at least it is the original version as the intro to the song is the only cool part for me.

:applaud:

Magnificent probably has a right to be in the setlist, but NOT at the expense of The Fly...that was just criminal last night.:sad: A part of me died inside.

:applaud:

Magnificent probably has a right to be in the setlist, but NOT at the expense of The Fly...that was just criminal last night.:sad: A part of me died inside.

Replace Miss Sarajevo with Magnificent. MS is one of the few weak parts of the setlist they have been doing. That would be an improvement.

You didn't see it in Dublin. Dublin 2 to be exact.

Lol. I was at all three Dublin shows.

And I am cry. Seriously, of all songs it could replace, it replaces The Fly? :sad: THe best piece of epicness they came up with and added to the latest shows?

What a shame. But at least it gives the "More NLOTH" cryers something..

Glad I saw it the three shows I went to. It was epic.

My opinion: Keep Magnificent. Having 4 songs from the most recent album just makes it seem less like the Rolling Stones.

Also, keep The Fly. Trade it out for the tired antics of Mysterious Ways or UTEOTW. MW is a big hit, so it's likely to stay despite being very boring since the Elevation tour. I think UTEOTW is only in the set because it's not very vocally challenging.

My opinion: Keep Magnificent. Having 4 songs from the most recent album just makes it seem less like the Rolling Stones.

Also, keep The Fly. Trade it out for the tired antics of Mysterious Ways or UTEOTW. MW is a big hit, so it's likely to stay despite being very boring since the Elevation tour. I think UTEOTW is only in the set because it's not very vocally challenging.

Are you kidding? UTEOTW is one of their two BIGGEST live songs ever. The crowd and band both go mad when it's played!

There's just something about the studio version that has always been held back from the live version that sadly prevents it from being the live classic it should be. Never been able to put my finger on it though. I had always hoped that the songs that would carry over in the future would be Mag/NLOTH and occasionally MOS. Doesn't seem at all likely anymore.

My opinion: Trade it out for the tired antics of Mysterious Ways or UTEOTW. MW is a big hit, so it's likely to stay despite being very boring since the Elevation tour. I think UTEOTW is only in the set because it's not very vocally challenging.

I agree Mysterious ways has been awful since Elevation, but take out UTEOTW?

129024386528880102.jpg

There's just something about the studio version that has always been held back from the live version that sadly prevents it from being the live classic it should be. Never been able to put my finger on it though. I had always hoped that the songs that would carry over in the future would be Mag/NLOTH and occasionally MOS. Doesn't seem at all likely anymore.

Yeah, the "wall of sound" is tough to recreate live. Lots of nuance. However, I think Edge mushes the 2 distinct sounds of the intro together and you never get the rhythm as on the album. (If that makes any sense). It also plods along at a kinda slow pace, no dramatic moments.

I think the one time they got it almost right is here:

‪U2 - Magnificent Live Fordham University [HD - High Quality] Good Morning America‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom