Setlist Predictions / Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't the Vertigo tour alternate 3 different openers? Vertigo, COBL and LAPOE??

That was cool.

Thinking back to the ZOO TV tour when Zooropa came out and they started playing songs from it they could have honestly dropped all their 80's stuff and it still would have been an amazing tour.

I wonder if people would attend a U2 concert now-days if the setlists consisted of songs off the new album and the last one only with a few twists thrown in like during Zoo TV when they did Satellite of Love?

You are. Love and Peace is the worst song U2 has started with. Maybe Hawkmoon is worse, I'm sure they opened with that on Lovetown. Could be wrong

Didn't the Vertigo tour alternate 3 different openers? Vertigo, COBL and LAPOE??

That was cool.

Thinking back to the ZOO TV tour when Zooropa came out and they started playing songs from it they could have honestly dropped all their 80's stuff and it still would have been an amazing tour.

I wonder if people would attend a U2 concert now-days if the setlists consisted of songs off the new album and the last one only with a few twists thrown in like during Zoo TV when they did Satellite of Love?

True. COBL worked the best feeding into Vertigo

Open with. A totally dark stage. One single spot light on Mr Mullen who starts "I thew a brick through the window". Then the rest of the band moves out from the dark to the front of the stage and joins in.

Ha. In regards to how they start I would love to see something different to the last 3 tours. Bono basically just walks up the catwak in Vertigo and Popmart and in Elevation just walks on to the side of the stage. I want to see something much more powerful in the lines of Zoo Tv. Something in your face, and brilliant. Cant beat Zoo Station for a show opener

Here's what I'd like to see:

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Fez – Being Born
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

Encore 1 -
12. A Sort of Homecoming
13. Original of the Species
14. Stay
15. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
16. Please
17. Where the Streets have No Name

Encore 2 -
18. Acrobat
19. Even Better Than The Real Thing
20. Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me
21. With Or Without You
22. Love is Blindness
23. MLK

You are. Love and Peace is the worst song U2 has started with. Maybe Hawkmoon is worse, I'm sure they opened with that on Lovetown. Could be wrong

Yeah, they did. Personally, I think it's one of the best openers they ever had, but whatever.

I just want them to switch things around. Why do they need one or two static openers? Have some shows with NLOTH tracks, others with older ones. I don't think there will be much of a Greatest Hits tour vibe if they crash into GOYB right after Streets or 11OCTT or Hawkmoon or whatever. It's not like the first ten tracks would be classics or anything.

:drool: I loved that, though I'm prob one of the only ones :drool:

I loved it too. Both it and COBL were excellent openers.

That was cool.

Yeah, that's what my original post said. COBL opened the majority, except in Europe, where Vertigo got opening duties as it was too light at the start of the gigs for the COBL or LAPOE lighting to work effectively. LAPOE's stint as an opener extended only to nine shows on the first leg and they didn't return to it later.

What?! Hawkmoon opened eight Lovetown gigs, and the gorgeous atmospheric slide solo that Edge added to it easily elevates it to the status of one of U2's most evocative and captivating openers.

Based on what you have heard and read, create a reasonable setlist for the new tour. The "Horizon Tour 2009-2010". The return to Achtung Baby creativity (like HTDAAB brought back Boy), I have included a Pop/Achtung kind of encore. Also included some pair ups used from previous tours. Here is my look at a possible setlist idea.

01 No Line on the Horizon
02 Get on Your Boots
03 Vertigo / Stories for Boys
04 I Will Follow
05 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
06 The Unforgettable Fire
07 Beautiful Day
08 Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
09 Unknown Caller
10 October
11 New Year's Day
12 Pride (In the Name of Love)
13 Bad / The First Time
14 Angel of Harlem -- acoustic B&E
15 Stay (Faraway, so Close!) -- acoustic B&E
16 Moment of Surrender
17 All I Want is You
18 Where the Streets Have No Name
encore
19 Mofo
20 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
21 With or Without You
encore
22 Elevation
23 I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
24 "40"

SMB

If this will happen .. OMG!!
I can't imagine they will play mofo and ultra violet together .... it would kick ass

Love and Peace or Else was a great live track that I wouldn't mind seeing more of but only if they managed to pull Bullet from the set lists. After all, Bono does say in the latest single that he doesn't want to talk about wars between nations. :sexywink:

"Love" and "City" should be semi-regulars...."Vertigo" is the only lock from the last album. "Sometimes" has kind of lost its luster since it's been ages since Mr. Hewson's father passed on....and nothing else from that album seems as relevant for a live show although a lot of it sounded wonderful live.

"Walk On" needs to make a return, especially now that "Elevation" has no purpose in a live setting and they did dabble with "Stuck In A Moment" enough on the last tour. "Beautiful Day" is a staple but "Walk On" is a highly effective last act hurrah.

Something is due from Pop. I don't care what.

Zooropa is a no-no....a lot of it just doesn't work in a live setting and we were at least given "The First Time" on the last tour.....I think "Stay" has a shot though since it hasn't been played out.

"One" is (along with Streets, BD & Vertigo) irremovable from the playlists as the casual audience expects their 50 to 150 dollars to at least lead to those tracks. "Mysterious Ways", "The Fly" & "Zoo Station" were no strangers to the setlists of recent memory...I would like to think the sonic blistering of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" will ring out in stadiums across the world....it's had a lot of rest time and happens to be from the favorite album of most diehards........also "Until The End Of The World" is easy to pull off and wasn't a regular through most of the Vertigo Tour.

Rattle & Hum is kind of an awkward release to fit into a live show. "All I Want Is You" would be welcomed by most, but I can see tracks from this album only making occasional appearances. The band should probably try reworking "Desire" to some extent as it's short and has room to twist around. No acoustic versions please.....that seems like all we get from this one.

"Streets" is the only certainty....hopefully with the red backdrop once again. Plenty of others from this album that could surprise us as the band has revisited it quite recently. Say "no" to Bullet, everyone.

The Unforgettable Fire will always be an important record to the band, but I would like them to retire Pride and make Bad, their greatest live track, a concert staple. If this can be done, I think they can get away representing this album without having to dig up a classic like "Homecoming" or the title track.

War will presumably give us "New Year's Day" and/or "Sunday Bloody Sunday"....face it, they're two of the band's best known tracks so the casuals eat that shit up. The re-emergence of "40" last time as concert closer tells me that the band probably isn't too into bringing anything back from this release.

A lot of great stuff on October....perhaps the band has investigated this release a bit? If not, "Gloria" would make a great staple.

Boy was all over Vertigo. "Out Of Control" would be a nice regular that didn't show up too much recently.

So, I think we'll certainly have most nights early on:

7-8 tracks from No Line On The Horizon
Vertigo
Walk On
Beautiful Day
some track from Pop ("Gone"?)
One
some other track from AB
Streets
Bad
New Year's Day and/or SBS
some earlier track ("Out of Control" or "Gloria" or "I Will Follow")

Let's not forget that WITS had a truncated live run and that ES hasn't been performed live if I remember correctly.....

I look at differently. The concert opener needs to be brilliant, not in terms of how good the song is, but how it opens. Meaning, not just for the hard core u2 fans but the thousands that attend u2 shows on reputation. Love and Peace sucked, Vertigo didnt work either in daylight. COBL was perfect on the last tour, with the stage and the lighting. But still, I want better, a wow affect like Zoo Tv.

Come on!!!

Bullet The Blue Sky has to be Bono's fav song ever. Never missed a tour. I like it though in concert, when i need a beer or piss break, the second bullet comes on im off to the bar or toilet.:applaud:

Horizon Tour 2009/2010

Concert Intro
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Vertigo
A Sort of Homecoming/Unforgetable Fire/Surrender/Gloria
Stand Up Comedy/God Pt.II
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
Staring At The Sun
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I Dont Go Crazy Tonight
Lemon
Numb
(Acoustic Set)Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
(Acoustic Set)Stuck In A Moment(Bono and Edge)
(Bono Solo Piano Medly)Sweetest Thing/Mrs Sarejevo/So Cruel/October
Breathe
Cedars Of Lebanon/Please/Sunday Bloody Sunday
Unknown Caller
Original of The Species
Acrobat

Encore 1:
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride

Encore 2:
Moment Of Surrender
One
Grace

Horizon Tour 2009/2010

Concert Intro
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Vertigo
A Sort of Homecoming/Unforgetable Fire/Surrender/Gloria
Stand Up Comedy/God Pt.II
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
Staring At The Sun
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I Dont Go Crazy Tonight
Lemon
Numb
(Acoustic Set)Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
(Acoustic Set)Stuck In A Moment(Bono and Edge)
(Bono Solo Piano Medly)Sweetest Thing/Mrs Sarejevo/So Cruel/October
Breathe
Cedars Of Lebanon/Please/Sunday Bloody Sunday
Unknown Caller
Original of The Species
Acrobat

Encore 1:
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride

Encore 2:
Moment Of Surrender
One
Grace

if Lemon, Numb, Acrobat, Grace or Sweetest Thing even get played once Ill be shocked, if played every nite ill give you a Billion gazillion dollars :applaud:

1. Mofo
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Gloria
4. Unkown Caller
5. Stuck In A Moment
6. Beautiful Day
7. No Line On The Horizon
8. Moment Of Surrender
9. Stand Up Comedy
10. Please
11. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
12. Vertigo
13. The Fly
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. Magnificent
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday

17. A Sort Of Homecoming
18. The Unforgettable Fire
19. Bad
20. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

21. Cedars Of Lebanon
22. Breathe
23. Love Is Blindness

Breathe is gonna be U2's greatest song, studio and live....

01 Breathe
02 Get On Your Boots
03 Even Better Than The Real Thing
04 Unknown Caller
05 Beautiful Day
06 Until The End of The World
07 Bad
08 No Line On The Horizon
09 Stand Up Comedy
10 Gone
11 Kite
12 Magnificent
13 Where The Streets Have No Name
14 Moment of Surrender

15 Vertigo
16 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
17 One

18 City of Blinding Lights
19 With or Without You
20 Cedars of Lebanon

Remember how long some of these song are.. I don't think there will be as many tracks as previous tours because of it.

The amount of concert worthy U2 now have is fucking unreal - I hope they make use of it all.

I just hope they get rid of Bullet. I have heard that enough times already, same for Pride. I know Pride is a big anthem but they have such a huge collection of songs and so many get forgotten about.

Man, it will be impossible for them to create a setlist that pleases everyone... With each album, it becomes harder but now it seems impossible... let's go album by album

Boy (2) : Only I Will Follow and Out of Control will be played i think
October (0) : Maybe Gloria but i don't think so
War (2 or 3) : I would be surprise if SBS and NYD don't show up often. 40 sometimes maybe
TUF (2) : Pride will show again and Bad sometimes
TJT (3) : Streets, WOWY and Bullet will be played again
RAH (0) : I don't think anything will be played on a regular night. Maybe AIWIY and Desire on some nights
AB (2) : MW and One on a regular basis. EBTTRT and The Fly sometimes.
Zooropa (0) : Again, nothing will be played except maybe Stay if there's an acoustic part on the show
Pop (0) : Mmm, tough one. Nothing was played on the last tour so i will say 0
ATYCLB (2) : B Day is almost certain, so is elevation
HTDAAB (3) : Not easy to know which songs will survive the cut. I'll go with : Vertigo is a given. COBL also has a good chance and maybe sycmioyo
NLOTH (7) : I'll be optimistic and say 7 songs from the new album will be played on a regular night. Songs dropped will be Fez-Being Born, White As Snow, Cedars Of Lebanon and Unknown Caller.

So this is giving me :
1. I Will Follow
2. SBS
3. NYD
4. Pride
5. Bad
6. Streets
7. WOWY
8. BTBS
9. MW
10. One
11. B Day
12. Elevation
13. Vertigo
14. SYCMIOYO
15. COBL
16. NLOTH
17. Magnificient
18. MOS
19. IGCIIDGCT
20. GOYB
21. SUC
22. Breathe

Note that these are not the songs i want, but the songs it think they will play!

Based on what you have heard and read, create a reasonable setlist for the new tour. The "Horizon Tour 2009-2010". The return to Achtung Baby creativity (like HTDAAB brought back Boy), I have included a Pop/Achtung kind of encore. Also included some pair ups used from previous tours. Here is my look at a possible setlist idea.

06 The Unforgettable Fire

10 October

19 Mofo
20 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

SMB

You wish...

And I wish it too! :wink:

01. Magnificent
02. Stand Up
03. Two Hearts Beat As One
04. Unknown Caller
05. The Unforgettable Fire
06. White As Snow
07. Fez – Being Born
08. I'll Go Crazy
09. Mercy
---- WAR AND AFRICA FOOTAGE ----
10. Silver And Gold
11. London Calling
12. Surrender
13. If God Will Send His Angels
14. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
15. Acrobat

ENCORE I:
16. Mofo
17. Get On Your Boots
18. Beautiful Day
19. Breathe
20. Moment Of Surrender

ENCORE II:
21. Vertigo
22. No Line On The Horizon
23. Cedars Of Lebanon

This is just for fun, it's based on the descriptions we have. What's the problem with that? Absolutely nothing in my opinion. I doubt people think these setlists will actually happen. Just for FUN out of excitment for a new tour that is to come!

1.intro
2.magnificent
3.new years day (shortened)
4.get on your boots
5.the fly
6.mysterious ways
7.crazy tonight
8.vertigo
9.I will follow
10.acrobat
11.Pride
12.city of blinding lights
13.walk on
14.moment of surrender
15.breathe
17.bullet the blue sky
18.with or without you
_________

19. love and peace
20. zoo station
21. stand up comedy
22. ultraviolet light
23. mofo
____
24. no line on the horizon
25. seconds/sexy boots (snippets)

half hope and half imagination.

To me, it seems ridiculous to be attempting to predict setlists when we've only heard one song. Written descriptions and beach clips really give very little hint on where or how a given song could work within a set.

But no, let's not heed the lessons we learnt last time around ...

you take setlists entirely too serious.

I think they will drop some of the stuff from the last tour like: I will Follow, Still Havent Found, Beautiful Day, (hopefully) Pride, maybe One?

I'm thinking they will play alot of 90s stuff from Achtung & Zooropa & Pop because it will go well with the new material.

Predicting a setlist before you hear a record ranks somewhere between pointless and stupid.

pride should be buried for a long time. same with bullet. ultraviolet and love and blindness would be welcome additions.

Back
Top Bottom