North American Tour Changes in Set list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really have no business hoping for any changes because as long as I get to hear UC, TUF and UV, I'll be thrilled.

But...A POX ON THOSE WHO DON'T WANT SUC!!! It is a live song, pure and simple. It has to see the light of day!

(dare I even hope for FezBB?)

Mark

On the topic of Stand Up Comedy, let me make a prediction: by the time U2 reach Atlanta, Crazy Tonight will be replaced by Comedy.

You really think they're going to drop one of the highlights of the tour? If they drop any NLOTH song for Stand Up Comedy, it will probably be Unknown Caller.

And I'm confused about the relationship between North America and Stand Up Comedy. Why does everyone think that Stand Up Comedy will suddenly be played just because the band is in North America?

You really think they're going to drop one of the highlights of the tour? If they drop any NLOTH song for Stand Up Comedy, it will probably be Unknown Caller.

And I'm confused about the relationship between North America and Stand Up Comedy. Why does everyone think that Stand Up Comedy will suddenly be played just because the band is in North America?

Because SUC is the most linear song on the album, and we Americans have earned a reputation of... well, it's obvious. We somewhat deserve it, but it's somewhat overblown by the rest of the world.

I agree with everyone who said they think the setlist will probably stay similar to Europe. If they play something new that would be cool, but I think they will stay with the same songs

I really wish they'd drop Stuck and just use Stay as the acoustic song for the NA leg (God knows the US could use some Zooropa exposure), but I doubt that will happen.

I think over the course of the US leg we'll see 2-3 songs at some point that haven't been played on this tour yet. SUC is a good bet, perhaps we'll see DM or YBR since they did rehearse them. There's nothing pre-War yet so maybe IWF will come back? Or 11 O Clock Tick Tock ... :drool: (unlikely but it was supposedly rehearsed right?) As much as I'd love it I would be very surprised if something from Pop came up... if we get anymore 90's it'd prolly be either EBTTRT or The Fly, both of which would be awesome. I'm positive they'll play Crazy in some form, but maybe it won't be the remix. I hope it is though, the remix looks really fun live :D

no matter what they play i can't wait til Sept 12!

I would think that DM and YBR will show up at some point. Probably at shows like the Aussie leg, where they dont put SO much effort into flow and full show, but make the nights more special with rarer events (Kite, full band stuck and walk on, OTH in NZ Vertigo tour)

YBR would fit the show more than DM, and I take willies point that it would be a downer on the mood. Still would be great to see.

I don't think it would be a huge downer if they decided to slot it in between Crazy Tonight and SBS. Would segue well into SBS.

Further than that though, we may see some things show up like SYCMIOYO, IGWSHA, The Fly, 11OTT, IWF, SUC. My darkhorse for a tour debut is Hawkmoon

And I really hope Breathe stays the opener. I think it's fantastic. :drool:

:yikes: seriously? You are one of the few people I have heard say that or post that. Breathe opening is really my only gripe with the setlists they have done so far. Its a great live song, I just don't think its a good opener, at all!!! :)

But it will remain the opener, U2 seem to like it for some reason opening. I think its to get Larry out there first and they can't think of another place to put Breathe in the setlist (hmm, how about going back to two encores and opening one of them with?????!!!!!! ;) )

I don't think you will see a huge shake up for the N. America leg. It will continue to evolve though, just like the Euro one has.

I do agree about SUC. It seems like a great live choice. I don't get the hatred some have for it. Its not a great song, but a good one and I think it would be better live. Although I thought that about Crumbs on the last tour and they never quite got it down (but at least it was played). They worked on it enough and it was good, but not great like I thought it would be. Maybe SUC has something similiar going on. They did work on it in rehearsals before Barcelona so that is my guess at the moment.

I just hope U2 attempts the other four songs on NLOTH. Give them all a shot, see what happens. Fez and SUC in particular deserve a chance. Hopefully, they'll experiment with the opener a bit as well.

I'm actually pretty good with the European setlist being repeated in North America. I'm worried that if U2 does do any major overhaul, it'll make the setlist more conservative. I want to hear Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet. Those two better stay in the set. Same with the Crazy Tonight remix.

I don't think it would be a huge downer if they decided to slot it in between Crazy Tonight and SBS. Would segue well into SBS.

Fuck reality, this would make my life:

Crazy Tonight remix
Discotheque
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Drowning Man
Sunday Bloody Sunday

First off , imagine Magnificent as opener! Edge walks out alone, similar to what Larry is doing now and plays that opening fuzzed out chord. Then each band member joins in, and Bono walks into view just as the song and Edge's guitar explode. It would be SO much better...

Also, I pray that they keep Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Crazy remix get replaced with the original in America although it's really grown on me (hated it at first).

They need to fix Bono singing the French horn section in Unknown Caller and let Edge work some magic there before his big Solo.

Pop songs would be great, particularly Please, Gone, or Discotheque.

I do think Stand Up Comedy was born to be played live and I hope it's amazing. I couldn't help but imagine it live the first time I heard it.

Oh, and FEZ would be AWESOME to start an encore!

-G

I would like to see a new opener, I don't think Breathe works as well as some of the other songs would. Magnificent could be a great opener, so I would like to see that tried.

It is coming to that time in the tour where we transition legs!! The Europe shows have been great, featuring the band in top form and Bono sounding great for the most part. We all have our own opinions on the setlists, obviously!

I would like to know everyone's thoughts on a few things as the North American dates approach:

1.)Will the set list vary more or less by leg than it did on previous tours? Do you think we will see a transition more resembling 3rd leg Elevation and 5th leg Vertigo or will we see a transition more in line with JT or Popmart tours?

2.)Will we see some variation in the encores? Maybe WOWY rotated with something else? How about adding a song after the regular closer like we saw on Popmart? I like Ultraviolet of course, but could the fly or wire open up some encores?

3.)How many songs will see their 1st appearance on the tour on Leg 2? Any ideas on what songs?

4.)The opener: This has been the most discussed aspect of the set it seems. Do they have a new opener(Magnificent, Boots, NLOTH??) that is a regular, do they open most with Breathe with something else mixed in(like 1st leg Vertigo) or does Breathe continue to be the only opener?

Of course all speculation, but that is what we specialize in :) Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

1) I predict new songs will enter.

2) Leave the encore alone. UV-WOWY-MOS works.

3) Off NLOTH, I'm hoping for SUC (remember they brought out Fast cars and Crumbs on the third leg of Vertigo so there's hope for more NLOTH live). Maybe White as snow in the acoustic set. YBR or some other 90's song, most likely from Pop.

4) I'm one of those that enjoyed Breathe opening. Wouldn't mind them trying out NLOTH, but either way works.

I don't mind Breathe as an opener. I went back and checked the setlist from Vertigo leg 1 and Vertigo leg 2 and the opener went from Cobl to Vertigo, so you never know they may change the opener

I have a feeling we will see some changes...

I think they (read Bono) have been too stubborn to change mid-Euro tour... changing for Leg 2 will not look as weak on their part (which seems to concern them).

Yeah, I think the remix has a limited shelf life. Yes, it's interesting, but the real song deserves it's shot too!

actually the remix is brilliant in the flesh- it's a real highlight of the show. Much better live track than the original would be.

They've also done some very specific visuals for it so i can't see them dropping it

I've been to 6 shows in Europe and I've no complaints about the set list at all- didn't expect any Pop tracks (aside from Gone I'm not that bothered either), it's been a joy to hear MLK, UF, Bad, the new songs and the old favourites again

Drowning Man, Your Blue Room- great for the hardcore fanbase but 95% of the stadium wouldn't have the faintest idea what they were

I'm still praying for "I Threw A Brick..." Ah, to hear those drums live............

I think about 10% of the crowd would know it!!! ;) That would definately be throwing one out there for the diehards.

Like I said before, I like Breathe, its "OK" as an opener. I think NLOTH would work MUCH better or even GOYB (even though I don't care for the song all that much). I just don't think Breathe stands out as one of those great U2 opening songs for me. Every tour since Joshua Tree they have had great to almost perfect opening songs. Not this tour and I think its the only thing this tour is lacking. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom