mr claw wants an electric desire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
acoustic desire was cute on the popmart tour, but can we please go back to an either joshua tree/lovetown or zoo tv balls to the wall type desire? the claw needs it

bring back the rock

No. Desire hinges on Bono's singing, and it's spot-on on this tour. I don't give a damn if they play Desire on a banjo and three flutes, as long as Bono sings the song like he wrote it. Which he is. And we get the little solo. ZooTV Desire was electric, and half the time it was crap, because Bono was too busy being MacPhisto to give a shit about the song. Stop whining.

I love accoustic desire and part of the reason why I love U2 so much is because they're actually able to turn such a huge setting into an intimate place by performing songs like that.

Couldn't agrre more Chizip, full electric Desire is where it's at. ZOO TV and Lovetown versions were out of this world. I'm one of the few who don't like U2 doing acoustic sets at all, I don't think there songs fit that style.

Acoustic Desire= U2 for wimps. Who cares if get "the little solo"- are we supposed to be grateful for that? I'm certainly not. The hard-rocking Zoo Tv renditions were the best, especially when Bono played Mirrorball Man. The Macphisto version might have been a little off the wall but it certainly wasn't bland. We're not in 2001 anymore, get a grip and play it properly!

Acoustic Desire= U2 for wimps. Who cares if get "the little solo"- are we supposed to be grateful for that? I'm certainly not. The hard-rocking Zoo Tv renditions were the best, especially when Bono played Mirrorball Man. The Macphisto version might have been a little off the wall but it certainly wasn't bland. We're not in 2001 anymore, get a grip and play it properly!

Then I'll gladly be a wimp. I don't care about the rock version, I like the accoustic version of Desire. Mirrorball Man is so yesterday, totally outdated. Some fans cannot get over the past and are stuck. Sad.

Then I'll gladly be a wimp. I don't care about the rock version, I like the accoustic version of Desire. Mirrorball Man is so yesterday, totally outdated. Some fans cannot get over the past and are stuck. Sad.

The biggest stuck in the muds are surely those who insist on the continued presence of Pride and ISTHWILF in the setlist. I never suggested Bono should now perform Desire as the Mirrorball man (though I think your assertion that it would be of necessity, outdated is preposterous), merely that they treat us to a full-on electric version.

And why exactly should Pride and ISTHWILF be dropped? I was in Paris and those two songs were the ones people attending cheered more. :shrug:

And yes, I would like to see Desire full version. But I like this one, too.

And why exactly should Pride and ISTHWILF be dropped? I was in Paris and those two songs were the ones people attending cheered more. :shrug:

And yes, I would like to see Desire full version. But I like this one, too.

Because they sound exhausted and there are so many other well-known songs that could garner a familiar response if only they were given a chance.

I thought Still haven't found sounds quite good this time and the audience is responding very well to it. I wouldn't want to miss the moment when the crowd is joining in to sing. Few other songs can create this magic. I totally understand why U2 want to keep the song. It doesn't sound tired to me, in fact, it sounds quite fresh now. I'm always looking forward to hearing it and the audience loves it. There are also nice snippets in the song.

Like it or not, songs like SHF, Pride or SBS are the songs that really rock a stadium and bring the house down, not only the inner circle in front of the stage.

The Claw asks for so much more than that. It's a shame such a huge and impressive stage setup followed up by such a lack of concept and ideas in this tour (comparing to previous tours).

The Claw asks for so much more than that. It's a shame such a huge and impressive stage setup followed up by such a lack of concept and ideas in this tour (comparing to previous tours).

not sure i agree with this. from what i've seen, there are some very cool concepts. not saying i love all of these concepts. i find the masks embarrassing. but it doesn't change the fact that this show does have as many, if not more concepts than the previous two tours.

- Video screen during COBL and TUF
- Crazy remix with the band's heads bopping
- SBS green colors for Iran
- ISS Space Chat
- Walk On masks
- Bishop Tutu speech
- Bono's laser suit during Ultraviolet

also, keep in mind, this tour is only 7 shows in, and it will constantly evolve, and new concepts and ideas will be added.

What was the "cohesive concept" for Vertigo and Elevation?

I don't see the 360 tour lacking anything that the last tours did have.
In fact, there are always mini-themes in the set, and it's like that here as well.

They have a clear space theme and are going for more "spacey" and atmospheric songs this time. I think the claw and the stage are used very well, especially with the screen expanding and the great light show that is really one of the highlights of this tour. Just because the "concept" is different this time doesn't mean there is no concept. They don't have the visuals they did have for the last tours, simply because the background screen is missing. They make up for that with an amazing lightshow that takes place not only on stage, but in the whole stadium. I also think the accoustic set fits well because they want to show how to turn a stadium into an intimate place, based on the stage that is surrounded by the audience. I really think this tour is about communicating with the audience, being out there, being exposed. There is more focus on the music this time. The shows I saw didn't feel like U2 concerts at first, they didn't remind me much of previous tours I've seen. I think it's great the band went for something different this time.

Oh, and one of the themes is "kiss the future", which is something that a lot of fans really need to embrace more :D

I'm curious as to which songs you think would get a familiar response?

Well, I think you underrate stuff like Discotheque and Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me- they might not be heart-on sleeve anthems but they're real stadium-sized songs with huge riffs. A really tight rendition could go down amazingly well- alas we'll never know.

In fact, there are always mini-themes in the set, and it's like that here as well.

They have a clear space theme and are going for more "spacey" and atmospheric songs this time. I think the claw and the stage are used very well, especially with the screen expanding and the great light show that is really one of the highlights of this tour. Just because the "concept" is different this time doesn't mean there is no concept. They don't have the visuals they did have for the last tours, simply because the background screen is missing. They make up for that with an amazing lightshow that takes place not only on stage, but in the whole stadium. I also think the accoustic set fits well because they want to show how to turn a stadium into an intimate place, based on the stage that is surrounded by the audience. I really think this tour is about communicating with the audience, being out there, being exposed. There is more focus on the music this time. The shows I saw didn't feel like U2 concerts at first, they didn't remind me much of previous tours I've seen. I think it's great the band went for something different this time.

Oh, and one of the themes is "kiss the future", which is something that a lot of fans really need to embrace more :D

First of all, the presence of so many ambient songs makes it an imperative that the rock songs rock! Thus, they should do a full on electric Desire. I agree with you that the focus is currently on the music but we've had this for three tours now- wasn't Elevation all about the music? Wasn't Vertigo all about that too? So there may be a concept but it's not especially appealing anymore and if it's meant to be more daring then we're all clearly missing something.

No. Desire hinges on Bono's singing, and it's spot-on on this tour. I don't give a damn if they play Desire on a banjo and three flutes, as long as Bono sings the song like he wrote it. Which he is. And we get the little solo. ZooTV Desire was electric, and half the time it was crap, because Bono was too busy being MacPhisto to give a shit about the song. Stop whining.

you must like everything that I don't.... I found my opposite person! :wave:

desire is a shell of what it used to be. its decent now, it was great when full on electric version. its no different than wowoy, or even mysterious ways now. they have gone done hill considerably.

the band is getting old, and like to do the old men versions of their of songs now. i am ok with that, it's their decision, but it still doesn't change the fact that the song was written as a pretty rockin song, and now its been neutered. i wish they would play desire as full electric and play something like stay (which makes sense to play acoustic) during that part of the show. desire, is one of the more frustrating acoustic songs, because they have shown how in the past how great it can be.

Elevation and Vertigo were not made to be conceptually complex - you know that. In fact it's the exact opposite and the albums reflect it.
NLOTH and the band's statements promissed something revolutionary. 360 is not even evolutionary it's just a recycle of the past tours' concept.

Back
Top Bottom