Breathe is a better opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone think the opener will change by the time we get to Mexico City next year?

I think stingray is a crap song! it bores me and has no relevance.. Breathe kind of has a cheek and boldness to it which suits an opening song, it's kind of explosive.. Stingray is a little all over the shop and then it leads into Beautiful Day which just makes no sense at all.. Just hoping it's not like that for the Oz dates :hyper:

Can't believe no one has mentioned Fez/Being Born :hmm:

Especially maybe doing Fez into Boots. Hell, SUC would even work too. Breathe just didn't work because of the "waltz" type beat and I do enjoy Sting Ray, its just the pause before BD.

Major Tom (Lights go down)
Extended Fez/Let Me In The Sound
Boots

Now that would be an awesome opener :)

Well regardless of our opinions, hopefully Breathe and NLOTH (title track) return to the setlist eventually. I miss those songs and thought they were excellent live.

Well regardless of our opinions, hopefully Breathe and NLOTH (title track) return to the setlist eventually. I miss those songs and thought they were excellent live.

Yeah I just want to hear those two songs live! only because I never will if they don't play em on the Oz tour

Stingray is okay at best for me, of course I'm thrilled to see them playing something different. And I have to give them props for having the gazoongas to do so, however, other than the strict audience who are after such stuff, you're going to alienate the fair-weather fans who are only after the Prides, and Streets and Ones. I've enjoyed the new songs as much as the next uber-fan.. but I do wonder how the rest of the 'fair-weather fans' have been taking it

Stingray is okay at best for me, of course I'm thrilled to see them playing something different. And I have to give them props for having the gazoongas to do so, however, other than the strict audience who are after such stuff, you're going to alienate the fair-weather fans who are only after the Prides, and Streets and Ones. I've enjoyed the new songs as much as the next uber-fan.. but I do wonder how the rest of the 'fair-weather fans' have been taking it

I feel it was an experiment and it just was a bit boring, most people wanna hear bono sing and the crowd seems dead during the footage I have seen

After seeing (on videos etc) the awesomeness that was the Breathe opening, and my personal favourite the vertigo COBL intro, I really hope they come out with something that just really builds the anticipation. TBH, although i have no right whatsoever to feel dissapointed in this tours openings, I do. I dislike stingray personally but I understand it's appeal. I guess it's because it just doesn't fit, and then it just awkwardly stops then beautiful day starts, which kind of isn't the theme/same style as was stated above by someone.

Hope they bring an awesome opener to Aussie land! :wink:

I'm usually just happy to be there when they play live, but I think that opening the set with something NOT off the new album is WEAK. I'm PISSED that they dropped Breathe from the setlist entirely and LOVED it as an opener.

I like Stingray, but
i still thnk Breathe is a much better opener ....the speed of Bono's vocal delivery/ Edge's semi-buzz saw guitar/ the chorus and the <?term> bridge "we are people born of stars..."/ Edge's high wailing guitar notes in that part/
I don' think "waltz time" with Larry's drum tempo there. i love the way it opens with the drums alone

I really miss NLOTH (song), too.

Magnificent would also be a great opener ! totally dark stage then the big light up (either done like last year or a new version)!

and oh I'd love to hear Fez/Being Born somewhen in the next section of the tour!

What i liked about Breathe was the opening, the drumming part with larry coming on the stage solo just great stuff.

The current opening scene doesn't cut it for me. By far the weakest compared to the last tours, and especially the zootv and Popmart openings.

Now I honestly think Breathe was a great opener. Had alot of energy, comparing to Stingray. :up:

Would also love to see Magnificent (again) or Boots open the show.

I think you/we have to compare Stingray with Soon and Breathe with BD.
Breathe was boring and BD gets the crowd nuts.

You know, I think it's kind of strange to spend so much time on a song, recording something in the proximity of 80 takes of it, heavily promote it on a promo tour for the album and let it open just about every show on the tour...and then just drop it.:| Even in december 2008, it was still in the "second priority to finish" group whereas Every Breaking Wave was in the "priority to finish" gang. Didn't Larry and Bono cite is at their current favourite in early interviews?

So if they really believed and put so much effort into this song...I don't see any reason why it was abruptly dropped from the set, not to mention intentionally leaving it out of the official 360° Tour video release. :huh:

I think it's a great song, but not necessarily to open the show, if that's what's been bugging them - just move it to another slot.

But on the other hand, I guess it's too late now that they've dropped other No Line On The Horizon songs from the set - including the title track. Then again, they said they're no longer promoting the album with this tour...:doh:

It's as if they would've drop Where The Streets Have No Name after a year, in terms of the amount of time spent on a particular song. (Not comparing the two live-wise, mind you.) In fact, wasn't it dropped for a while only to return later?

You know, I think it's kind of strange to spend so much time on a song, recording something in the proximity of 80 takes of it, heavily promote it on a promo tour for the album and let it open just about every show on the tour...and then just drop it.:| Even in december 2008, it was still in the "second priority to finish" group whereas Every Breaking Wave was in the "priority to finish" gang. Didn't Larry and Bono cite is at their current favourite in early interviews?

So if they really believed and put so much effort into this song...I don't see any reason why it was abruptly dropped from the set, not to mention intentionally leaving it out of the official 360° Tour video release. :huh:

I think it's a great song, but not necessarily to open the show, if that's what's been bugging them - just move it to another slot.

But on the other hand, I guess it's too late now that they've dropped other No Line On The Horizon songs from the set - including the title track. Then again, they said they're no longer promoting the album with this tour...:doh:

It's as if they would've drop Where The Streets Have No Name after a year, in terms of the amount of time spent on a particular song. (Not comparing the two live-wise, mind you.) In fact, wasn't it dropped for a while only to return later?

Streets was never dropped for a tour leg or most of a leg or really for even more than a few shows back to back if I recall correctly. Certainly nothing like WOWY on a lot of Elevation and Vertigo, SBS on Lovetown or Bullet on 360.

JT Europe I think it was more apt to miss a show, but that was before it became the live staple of the set. Bad and I Will Follow shared that role still.

Agree with you about the flat out dropping of Breathe being strange. I think its a great song, and a lot more innovative than it gets credit for as well.

The best opener from NLOTH would be FEZ-Being Born. It would be the new Streets. What a build. What an opener. THe band are idiots for not trying this yet.

Oh, and as far as dropping Breathe...yes...stupid. Why give up on this album? That's why this tour doesn't have "it". It's the first "U2's Greatest Hits" tour. They've abandoned a great album and they haven't given new life to any of the classics. It's like they are just going through the motions.

I think the opening bits of Fez-Being Born would sound amazing for the opening. The "let me in the sound" bit, then that great, urgent music that kicks it off ...

But then what? As much as I love the song, I don't think it would work as an opener. The people who stood around impassively at Breathe aren't going to get much more excited about a song that doesn't even have a chorus, and wasn't that the big problem with Breathe? That the energy died after the initial surge? I don't think Fez is going to take it much further.

Not that I think that "shit, the non diehards look kind of bored" should be the deciding factor on picking an opener, but apparently the band wants more involvement/energy (can't blame them), which is why an "oldie" might be a good choice for a tour that's kind of "between albums" like it was on the last leg. Still don't think BD is the greatest pick for that, though, but whatever. Curious to see what they'll do in Aus/NZ.

I'd love for them to try Fez-Being Born live, but I really disagree that it would be a good opener beyond the first 30 seconds or so.

Ok, maybe u2 won't play it live , but what about this as opener:

Lights off....then Fez-Being Born begins (over PA)....images of Fez/a guy riding a motorcycle on Cadiz on the screen...then by the end of the song and with lights still off the band is all set and ready to go....then the song finishes, lights are turned on and they play a powerful rendition of No line on the horizon....

:drool: :drool: :drool:

(....then I wake up and they start the show with Beautiful Day :doh:)

I'd love for them to try Fez-Being Born live, but I really disagree that it would be a good opener beyond the first 30 seconds or so.
Maybe they could use it to open the encore?
Intro: FEZ
1) Being Born
2) Ultraviolet/HMTM (rotate)
3) MOS

Best opener would be the also dropped title song of the latest album. Crowd would love the guitar intro and Bono jumping in with "I know a girl!"

Back
Top Bottom