All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[mikalisablindsheep]i'm pissed that U2 plays the same new song every night. it gets really boring sitting from home.[/mikalisablindsheep]

Oh, please do tell... where have I done this?

You're the reason why we have the label 'art snob' and why so many roll their eyes. You take a few art classes and then judge someone else's "artistic sensibility" as if it's fact. It's a contradiction.

You do realize ZooTV stage concept was conceived seperately from the album, right? Maybe you just don't get it?

...Was it? As far as I can remember some of Bono's alter-ego's came out during the recording process, for example. Plus, it seems obvious to me that when the lyrics for "The Fly" were wrote, he was already thinking is something specific.

I don't care what label you put on me. Plus, you don't know me from anywhere - you have no idea if: I'm an artist myself, if I'm a critic, an arts teacher or a mere viewer. You're just speculating.
One thing I can guarantee: I'm pretty safe of my opinions, I justify it, and I'm sure that, unless I get crazy, I'll never lose my critical thinking/spirit, whether I'm judging my favourite band ever or an artist I really hate. And as much I breathe and live U2, I will be harsh in critics whenever I feel they need it. Like it, the blindsheeps, or not.

...Was it?
As stated by Bono.
I don't care what label you put on me. Plus, you don't know me from anywhere - you have no idea if: I'm an artist myself, if I'm a critic, an arts teacher or a mere viewer. You're just speculating.
No, you told me once that you were qualified to judge artistic integrity because your academic area was in "artistic studies". I try not to speculate...

One thing I can guarantee: I'm pretty safe of my opinions, I justify it, and I'm sure that, unless I get crazy, I'll never lose my critical thinking/spirit, whether I'm judging my favourite band ever or an artist I really hate. And as much I breathe and live U2, I will be harsh in critics whenever I feel they need it. Like it, the blindsheeps, or not.
That's great. How come you didn't answer my first question, because I can see what you're implying...

yep. all three times it brought the show to a screeching halt. no one knew what it was, and lots of confused looks. I was also right in the middle of the inner circle all three times. by the end of the song they get the audience back somewhat only to kill the momentum again with the overt political theme (which as a theme i have no problem with), that has zero connection with the song. it is beyond forced and sooo bad- it's embarrassing. They go from house club dance song about letting loose and going crazy, to oppression of muslim women, literally in the matter of a minute. It is so beyond ridiculous on every level. Easily the stupidest, forced live u2 moment i have ever seen (and then its followed with the 2nd worst in the Walk On- political rally where U2 parodies themselves to the fullest possible extent).

i saw three 360 shows, with 10 different friends, and heard after every show - what the hell was the dance thing in the middle? :shrug:

i'm really glad a lot of people like, but i don't go to u2 shows, to see them do a cover of a cover of one of their own songs (which is exactly what that version is).

sorry dude but those must of been the exceptions. and also doesn't account for the rest the audience, maybe just the people around you. Were you GA or seats? I was GA for all the shows I went to whether inner circle or outside the outer rail and people went absolutely nutso for this song..

however, i do agree with you on the walk on thing. I cringed every time that happened..

"You are .... a pocket full .... of sunshine."

/Russian accent
:lmao:
Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure EVERY U2 lyric works better in The Accent. Try these on for size:
"Hello, hello...we are at...a place called...Vertigo."
"The air is...heavy...heavy like...a truck."
"I know I will go...crazy...if I do not...go crazy tonight."

This is way too much fun.

sorry dude but those must of been the exceptions. and also doesn't account for the rest the audience, maybe just the people around you. Were you GA or seats? I was GA for all the shows I went to whether inner circle or outside the outer rail and people went absolutely nutso for this song..

however, i do agree with you on the walk on thing. I cringed every time that happened..

all 3 shows were early on in the usa. there was literally a small group of about 50 people right in front of stage going crazy, and the rest of the inner circle was dead. :shrug:

i was in the inner circle for all three shows. the reaction didn't compare to vertigo, or even sbs right after for that matter.

i am glad people like it, but it certainly wasn't the highlight that interference makes it out to be based on audience reception at the shows i went to.

all 3 shows were early on in the usa. there was literally a small group of about 50 people right in front of stage going crazy, and the rest of the inner circle was dead. :shrug:

i was in the inner circle for all three shows. the reaction didn't compare to vertigo, or even sbs right after for that matter.

i am glad people like it, but it certainly wasn't the highlight that interference makes it out to be based on audience reception at the shows i went to.

How can you gauge what the whole audience is thinking when your in the inner cirlcle :|

for the record it was a highlight at Cardiff also.

Hearing that they are rehearsing Pride makes me very sad..... this song is now so flat that it's probably one of my least favourite.
Bring back NLOTH instead of IALW and and keep TUF and UTEOTW! Add UV if motivated after HMTMKMKM, but don't screw us of 1 song....

I don't dislike Pride as a song, but I am sick of hearing it live. I have heard it live every show I went to. I hope they don't end up performing it in Paris and Brussels. I will rather hear some NLOTH songs which have been dropped since. Pride deserves to be retired for couple of tours.

How can you gauge what the whole audience is thinking when your in the inner cirlcle :|

for the record it was a highlight at Cardiff also.

i'm guessing the same way that all the people who say it was the highlight and the crowd went nuts. :huh:

i love the skeptical responses, followed by it was the highlight at my show.

i don't think anyone can honestly say it got the biggest reaction from the audience for the entire show. there is no way. vertigo get a much bigger response, as does all the warhorses.

let's agree the people who like it, go crazy and it becomes a highlight for them, and those who don't not so much. neither can gauge the whole audience. my experience was it was night day crowd noise wise from vertigo to crazy.

Maybe you dont hear the reaction as much due to the music not actually stopping between Crazy and SBS.

i'm guessing the same way that all the people who say it was the highlight and the crowd went nuts. :huh:

i love the skeptical responses, followed by it was the highlight at my show.

i don't think anyone can honestly say it got the biggest reaction from the audience for the entire show. there is no way. vertigo get a much bigger response, as does all the warhorses.

let's agree the people who like it, go crazy and it becomes a highlight for them, and those who don't not so much. neither can gauge the whole audience. my experience was it was night day crowd noise wise from vertigo to crazy.

never said it had the biggest reaction of the whole show.. It did get the audience going though..

we each have a opinion and I respect yours but I will never agree with the points you are making about it.. just gonna leave it at that..

Sadly, I've come to accept that I'm rarely on the same page as the mass audiences when it comes to what "gets the crowd going."

I love In a Little While, Trying to Throw Your Arms, Your Blue Room, etc. Hell, my favorite live song ever is The Fly and most of the people around me sat during the last time I saw it. Inside I was yelling "come on people, get into this song and show the band... otherwise they'll go back to more Elevations and Prides to get you on your feet. Don't you get it?"

Sadly, I've come to accept that I'm rarely on the same page as the mass audiences when it comes to what "gets the crowd going."

I love In a Little While, Trying to Throw Your Arms, Your Blue Room, etc. Hell, my favorite live song ever is The Fly and most of the people around me sat during the last time I saw it. Inside I was yelling "come on people, get into this song and show the band... otherwise they'll go back to more Elevations and Prides to get you on your feet. Don't you get it?"

The problem is that most of them DO get it and they *want* them to go back to those songs to get them on their feet!

never said it had the biggest reaction of the whole show.. It did get the audience going though..

we each have a opinion and I respect yours but I will never agree with the points you are making about it.. just gonna leave it at that..

:up:

i understand, and that's cool. i just get tired of people who really loved it acting like it was somehow objectively the highlight of the whole show for the majority of the audience. there is no way to gauge for certain, but i think if you asked the average casual fan it would be one of the warhorses- not the remix that most don't even know.

The problem is that most of them DO get it and they *want* them to go back to those songs to get them on their feet!

Oh, I realize that. That's my point. I'm acknowledging I'm in a minority that will never be fully served by the band for those reasons. Hence, it's not a complaint, merely an acknowledgement.

:up:

i understand, and that's cool. i just get tired of people who really loved it acting like it was somehow objectively the highlight of the whole show for the majority of the audience. there is no way to gauge for certain, but i think if you asked the average casual fan it would be one of the warhorses- not the remix that most don't even know.

From my own personal observations, the remix is quite polarizing amongst U2 fans. Myself and a few of my die-hard friends can't stand it. Just hate the thing. But on here, there are obviously a number who consider it a wonderful addition.
That's why when I attended the shows, I observed something in the middle. Certainly the reaction near me was mixed. There were as many "what the hell is this?" looks and blank stares as people bobbing and screaming.

It's like any song. If you love it, your memories of its performance and crowd reception are positively skewed. Similarly if you don't like it.

But realistically, I'd have to agree that the warhorses and big radio songs always get the biggest reaction.

(To prove the point about what qualifies as a show "highlight"... I think most U2 fans and critics agreed that UV was a highlight. Yet, when I asked a bunch of friends who were casual fans/RIM employees attending the Toronto show, they didn't even recall what song I was talking about.)

Their answer would be, 'no'

(To prove the point about what qualifies as a show "highlight"... I think most U2 fans and critics agreed that UV was a highlight. Yet, when I asked a bunch of friends who were casual fans/RIM employees attending the Toronto show, they didn't even recall what song I was talking about.)

casual fans don't really pay much attention anyway, a couple of weeks later they may be like 'I think they played that song where the streets have names' it was so cool because an astronaut sang part of the verses.

:|

True. And even some die-hard fans don't think it was a highlight. I've always been kinda indifferent to the song (don't really like it, don't hate it either). I don't really get all the love it gets from people.
So yeah, it was played again after 17 years. Nice. But I much rather hear HMTMKMKM, which I do think is a great song.

i'm not sure about the crazy remix anymore... i haven't seen any footage of it from this year, so it's just the "idea" of it i struggle with... when i saw it last year it was pretty exhilarating and fun, novelty factor i guess... but i have to admit it was a bit cringe-worthy at first and i did have a "wtf are they doing?!" moment, but then just let go and jumped into the vibe...

i kind of wonder if some of the exhilaration of the live performance is a "laughing at them" rather than "laughing with them" vibe lol!!! :D

i mean, 4 old geezers trying to do "club"?! wtf?!! it's EMBARRASSING!!! there! i've said it! lol!!!

CT was a highlight for me from the first time I saw it on opening night in Barcelona and had that first WTF moment, to the last night I saw it at the Rose Bowl.

Now with the Discotheque snippet I love it even more.

I think now that they've teased us with this Discotheque snippet they need to eventually play the full song at least a few times before the tour ends next year!:drool::drool:

I wouldn't mind the setlist if they rotated more songs more frequently like they did on Vertigo, but I guess with the light show they really don't have that freedom

Back
Top Bottom