2009 Setlist: Sure bets or surprises?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say that only these 3 will be sure shots this time around:

-Streets
-Bullet
-One

Then there'll be sure to be about 8 or 9 new songs

So, here is what I'm predicting for other potential songs:
(I'm going out on a limb and predicting the top three for sure)
-HMTMKMKM
-Vertigo
-Even Better than the Real Thing

-Please -I think more POP songs will be heard, they can't ignore them much longer
-Miss Sarajevo - I know this was done a lot on the last tour, but I was thinking it would be a great to have a tribute to Pavarotti and put up some kind of video of him singing the middle part for it.
-Sometimes You Can't... - There has to be more than one carried over from HTDAAB, and this was one of the big ones
-With or Without You - Always close to being a sure thing
-Bad - I'm taking a risk and saying Pride will be thrown out for this song, so UF can have its place on the tour
-Lemon or Stay - I think something from Zooropa will make it, and these are the strongest contenders (I also remember hearing rumours of rehearsing Lemon back in 05/06)
-Walk On - Something we haven't heard a whole lot of from ATYCLB in a while; I think Beautiful Day had its time to shine and has to take a rest this time around
-Gone - If they pick another POP song to do, my guess is it'll be this one
-Window in the Skies - They seemed to want to promote this one more, but only played it a couple times in 06; Even though it seems they're drifting from this type of sound, I think it might still show up.

Last but not least, I would absolutely love hearing Electrical Storm live, but it seems highly unlikely

Pride has to be dropped now, or at least don't play it every show, same goes for some other oldie's. I still like SBS but BTBS has to be cut off the regular list as well.

Get some other stuff from Zooropa, AB and Pop in there. Lost of choices:

Ultraviolet
Love is Blindness
Who's Gonna run your wild horses (Amsterdam vertigo style)
Dirty Day (damn that would be great)
Stay
HMTMKMKM (FUUUCCCKKK THIIIISSS!!!)
Discotheque Vertigo style
Mofo
Last night on earth
Staring at the sun
Gone (woot)
Please (popmart style no stripping down)

And so much more, Like a song, unforgettable fire, god part II etc etc etc. What about electrical storm indeed!!

One thing about Lemon: is Bono's falsetto strong enough now to handle it? Or would they have to stick Edge on lead vocals for it? :hyper:

Has anyone seen REM this tour?

The reason I ask is I saw them the other night and was absolutely blown away with their setlist. Then I thumbed through all their setlists from previous nights on their website and it was different

every
single
night!

I was insanely jealous of my sister who I was with (and who is a HUGE REM fan) because she said that some of the songs were such deep cuts that she'd never heard them when they were originally on tour for them. I was foaming at the mouth crazy jealous. We're not talking about playing "Gloria" after a 10 year absence....we're talking about playing "I Fall Down"...yet they managed to throw in an equal balance of new material and radio-friendly hits for the newbies. And this is a band that played only one night here in Boston, not the 4-5 we are likely to get from U2.

There is absolutely no reason U2 can't do this. They have a similarly sized catalog. They are aptly skilled. Tied to a light show? Talk to REM, they got that one nailed. Can't remember lyrics? Use a music stand and lyric sheets, we'll forgive you.

Come on guys, you have no idea what that show did for my sister, she is still completely star-struck by it. It's pathetic when in order for me to be surprised at a U2 show, I have to institute an all out ban of the internet and news until they make it to Boston, only to be surprised at my very first (and only the first) show on the tour....

The reason I ask is I saw them the other night and was absolutely blown away with their setlist. Then I thumbed through all their setlists from previous nights on their website and it was different

every
single
night!

I was insanely jealous of my sister who I was with (and who is a HUGE REM fan) because she said that some of the songs were such deep cuts that she'd never heard them when they were originally on tour for them. I was foaming at the mouth crazy jealous. We're not talking about playing "Gloria" after a 10 year absence....we're talking about playing "I Fall Down"...yet they managed to throw in an equal balance of new material and radio-friendly hits for the newbies. And this is a band that played only one night here in Boston, not the 4-5 we are likely to get from U2.

There is absolutely no reason U2 can't do this. They have a similarly sized catalog. They are aptly skilled. Tied to a light show? Talk to REM, they got that one nailed. Can't remember lyrics? Use a music stand and lyric sheets, we'll forgive you.

Come on guys, you have no idea what that show did for my sister, she is still completely star-struck by it. It's pathetic when in order for me to be surprised at a U2 show, I have to institute an all out ban of the internet and news until they make it to Boston, only to be surprised at my very first (and only the first) show on the tour....

The reason is probably because the group of people who will see a U2 show is much larger than that which will see an R.E.M. show. I love R.E.M., but U2 is much more popular across the world, and many, many people will go just to see Pride and Streets and NYD and SBS. It's hard for them to strike a balance between their fans and still being the world's biggest band, and, thus, making absurd amounts of money. ;)

Also (this is their fault), I think the band is really just stuck in the habit of doing shows the way that they do. During Lovetown, the setlists varied considerably, like R.E.M. and Pearl Jam. However, Zoo TV and PopMart changed that... they were almost theatre productions, so a strict setlist was used in most occasions. I 'spose it just stuck.

I love REM
and I'm very psyched about getting to see them on this tour
but their catalogue is completely different than U2's
someone, I think Lanois or Lillywhite, made a comment that Bono has this incredible ear of knowing beforehand which songs will suit where in their setlist
and it shows
I think many of their songs or restricted to a certain "role" they play in the setlist and therefore U2 will always be a bit more restricted in variety
then when you start considering that U2 has something like 3 times as many "staple" songs than REM you realise you can't just compare the 2 bands live that easily
they could opt for something close to what REM does and play 2 or 3 different songs during a certain section of their show
then you do get to another problem and that is that U2's albums are very diverse (more so than REM's) and I for one do not really look forward to hear MOFO followed by A sort of homecoming in the middle of a setlist
the problem is also that while on this forum most people would hope they play 90s songs during this section many others would want 80s songs and lots & lots of casual fans might actually want to hear more from All that ... and How to dismantle ...
all the special songs REM is playing are from the albums they released up to 86 or so
would suit me fine

I just wish they'd stop playing fucking Elevation already. Not only is it U2's worst song in their live repertoire, it might be one of the worst live songs ever, despite the all too obvious pandering to the crowd participation with the woo-oo's.
well, call me silly, but i love crowd participation and i think Elevation is a song that is unrivalled in u2s live repertoire when it comes to fun (as much as i think the album version isnt up to much)

if i didnt want crowd participation i'd stay at home and wait for the dvd to come out

The reissues of October and War should lead to some lesser known tracks popping up from those albums in a special set akin to the Boy ones last tour. Once song from each album, rotating from one night to the next.

From October:

I Fall Down
I Threw A Brick Through A Window

From War:

Seconds
Two Hearts Beat As One

All of the casual non-fans that like to say "I went to the U2 show last night" will demand the following:

1. One
2. Vertigo
3. Beautiful Day
4. Where The Streets Have No Name

Window In The Skies gives them a track they enjoy performing live and it's not from the new album. This is important because we all know how the band likes their newer material more and will look for any excuse to pop another track into the set.

That gives us four classic locks, the two track October-War set and WITS. That's seven tracks. Let's chuck in seven more from the new album to make it an even 14.

This now leaves a whopping seven slots left in the set. Let's automatically give four of the following list that will show up at least every third night:

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
With Or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Bullet The Blue Sky
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World
Walk On
City Of Blinding Lights
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

I think they've done enough rearranging to Elevation/The Fly/Stuck where they won't realistically be coming back. Also, I'm not saying everything in the above list becomes a regular or is even played but the bulk of it obviously will. If U2 wants to be incredibly boring like last tour, we could see 4-5 of these songs every night. :down:

Really, the only bit of excitement will come from the band revisting Zooropa/Pop/The Unforgettable Fire. Also, the Joshua Tree could have a few new staples like "In God's Country" or "Exit" thanks to last fall's remaster.

Overall, U2 will take the easy way out. They really should cram songs like "One" into the trashcan. They offer absolutely nothing in a live setting and are only included to appease the neophytes that attend a show knowing about six U2 tracks.

More importantly, STOP WITH THE MINI-SETS! Nothing duller than going to multiple shows and thinking "here's the Boy set", "here's the SBS-NYD-BTBS-LAPOE set" "here's the Africa set"....if you're going to play the same 16 songs at every show at least have the decency to randomly mix them up.

I'd love to see a return to the varied Lovetown sets, but I don't think the band will give up their current m.o.

I mean, the last two tours have been HUGE. It's not like people are staying away because the band isn't digging deep. Sure, some wackos on a board complain, but U2 is what it is. They are more comfortable with a finely honed setlist with little deviations here and there. And this formula is putting asses in the seats.

And although they are similar, U2 have so much more going on than REM. The light show is one thing, but REM is still a completely live entity, whereas U2 uses, um, audio assistance on nearly every track. And that together with Edge's ever-increasing tech-world make it difficult to switch up every night. REM is able to maneuver much more quickly in that regard. U2 is more like a lumbering giant - not so good with reaction times.

Plus, U2 is just not that great at improvising. And they really haven't been since the War tour.

I think there will be some surprises like always and that they will favor songs with a more danceable beat from their catalogue. I think they will add a more dance and electronic flavor to the new arrangements and as always will have a whole bunch of new songs.

But the biggest surprise of all, and what I think would really make them give a new step forward live, would be leaving behind their overplayed warhorses and start making new set lists with different songs that they haven't played in a long while with new arrangements.

Also playing a song or two that they never played live before and fans have been asking for a long time. My choice would be Acrobat, it would make for a new highlight I think. They would show that they don't need their classics to kick ass. Here's my set list:

01. New Song
02. New Song
03. Two Hearts Beat As One
04. Discothèque
05. New Song
06. The Unforgettable Fire
07. New Song
08. New Song (Mercy)
---- VIDEO MONTAGE ----
09. Silver And Gold
10. London Calling
11. Surrender
12. The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew (acoustic – full band)
13. In God's Country (acoustic – Bono & Edge)
14. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
15. Ultraviolet
16. Acrobat

ENCORE I:
17. City Of Blinding Lights
18. Beautiful Day
19. The Wanderer
20. New Song
21. Walk On

ENCORE II:
22. Vertigo
23. New Song
24. Kite

With this more dance mentality there would be space for other songs like Wire, Do You Feel Loved, Seconds, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Mofo and even Lemon (if Bono can pull it of) to show up every now and then!

I added a cover cause I think that playing The Clash's London Calling would be more interesting than playing old Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet The Blue Sky.

I think there will be some surprises like always and that they will favor songs with a more danceable beat from their catalogue. I think they will add a more dance and electronic flavor to the new arrangements and as always will have a whole bunch of new songs.

But the biggest surprise of all, and what I think would really make them give a new step forward live, would be leaving behind their overplayed warhorses and start making new set lists with different songs that they haven't played in a long while with new arrangements.

Also playing a song or two that they never played live before and fans have been asking for a long time. My choice would be Acrobat, it would make for a new highlight I think. They would show that they don't need their classics to kick ass. Here's my set list:

01. New Song
02. New Song
03. Two Hearts Beat As One
04. Discothèque
05. New Song
06. The Unforgettable Fire
07. New Song
08. New Song (Mercy)
---- VIDEO MONTAGE ----
09. Silver And Gold
10. London Calling
11. Surrender
15. Ultraviolet
16. Acrobat

ENCORE I:
17. City Of Blinding Lights
18. Beautiful Day
19. The Wanderer
20. New Song
21. Walk On

ENCORE II:
22. Vertigo
23. New Song
24. Kite

With this more dance mentality there would be space for other songs like Wire, Do You Feel Loved, Seconds, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car and even Lemon (if Bono can pull it of) to show up every now and then!

I added a cover cause I think that playing The Clash's London Calling would be more interesting than playing old Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet The Blue Sky.

While this would certainly be fresh, I think they are too cautious these days to play a set like that.

8-9 new songs

and then the 5 obvious hits:
One, Pride, Vertigo, Streets, Beautiful Day

And then 7 varied old classics:
I Will Follow, Bullet, With or Without You, Angel of Harlem, Desire, Bad, Sunday Bloody Sunday

And then the odd dusted off song here and there.

09. Silver And Gold
10. London Calling
11. Surrender
15. Ultraviolet
16. Acrobat

There would be absolutely no energy in the crowd about half way through this section. a large majority of the crowd wouldn't know a single song in the section. i would like to hear about half of those song, but not in that order.

if (big if) they bring back in god's country, please play the full band version or not at all. i really hate when they neuter great songs with the lame acoustic treatment (walk on and desire come to mind).

I honestly don't think it'd be that difficult to do "Red Hill Mining Town". Back in the Joshua Tree days, Bono didn't know how to "pace himself" when singing live. He'd just sing open throat, open voice all the time, which is why his voice would often go hoarse, and why he couldn't do RHMT. But he could probably pull it off now, with all the tricks he's picked up over the last 20 years. However, the stigma of never playing the song live has probably prejudiced them to even consider it now.

It's a great song off their most popular album. Most of the crowd would know it. They could definitely do it. Bring it down a key if they need to. MOst people want acrobat, and I do too, but this song definitely needs to be played live. Somehow, we need to make it happen. They're just scared, lazy or something, but RHMT, as well as Acrobat, could be easily played live.

While this would certainly be fresh, I think they are too cautious these days to play a set like that.

I'm not totally sure of that. I think they get a high out of surprising people and to turn something that some folks might see as dangerous into something great. They've done it in the past and I really, really hope they will do it again this time not playing their warhorses.

In the end those songs are of a very high quality and are all very entertaining on their own I think. No audience would leave a show with those songs and not feel entertained. If they work on them a bit more and set them up to create a particular feeling throughout the concert, as they like to do, they and the fans might get some great rejoice out of something bold like this (it's not really that bold though, it only feels like this becase they've been playing some songs for sooo long).

There would be absolutely no energy in the crowd about half way through this section. a large majority of the crowd wouldn't know a single song in the section. i would like to hear about half of those song, but not in that order.

if (big if) they bring back in god's country, please play the full band version or not at all. i really hate when they neuter great songs with the lame acoustic treatment (walk on and desire come to mind).

As I said in a previous post those songs are still of high quality and entertaining, casual fans not liking that section because they don't know them is a bit weird for me if the songs are still good. And London Calling is fairly well known I think.

They played In God's Country acoustic on the Elevation Tour with a beautiful harmonica solo and all. That's one of their songs that fit the acoustic treatment the best I think. It sounded great to me than.

Thanks for all the thoughts on my REM parallel universe post. Respectfully to all, I don't buy the argument that they're just delivering what they think people are coming to hear -- "the staples". I think if anything it's that they put this "production" together (and I wasn't aware of the serious amount of "enhancement" involved) that they don't feel comfortable straying from.

If you think of the number of "staples" REM has that they did not play the night I saw them (End of the World, Sidewinder, Stand, Drive), sure some people leave disappointed but I'm not going to a greatest hits show. If I wanted that I'd go see the Stones. :lol:

I also really don't think it's that U2's catalog is too diverse. REM ignored completely the three albums before this latest release because they just don't like the material...I'm sure U2 could continue to ignore Pop and Zooropa as they essentially have the last two tours if they're really that disappointed with them. I think other than those two albums, they have a really consistent sound.

When you look at other legendary live acts of my generation, and I include REM among them, as well as Springsteen, Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews...I just feel really jilted as a long-time fan (nearly 25 years now). Yes, I'm one of the "board crazies" who complains about this, but when you shell out money and get to see a band like REM pull this off to an amazingly wonderful effect...you have to wonder why U2 can't...or won't.

Or maybe I just limit my shows to 1 or 2 this time instead of a dozen... :doh:

I think U2 also underestimates its catalog. Sure, it was fun digging into the Boy stuff on the last tour, but it seems like once a song has been buried long enough, it never comes back.

I remember a quote from the Edge around the Vertigo tour. He said that if a song doesn't work well live, it probably wasn't a good song in the first place. Hell, maybe they don't even like some of those older, obscure songs.

Ultimately, I think they are over-cautious about their audience and the pacing of a setlist. I think we've all been to shows over the years when a more obscure song sucks the air out the room. Yes, the die-hards go crazy, but the majority of people at shows are casual fans. And the more that U2 caters to these casual fans, the more awkward it feels moving outside the greatest hits package.

I guess a good show balances new material, big hits, and some deeper cuts. U2 have done some token deep cuts, but it hasn't seemed like a priority. They are playing it safe. But then again, they probably can't justify dropping One for, say, Seconds. It just isn't going to work for average Joe-concert-goer.

Springsteen does this pretty well: On this tour, he has pulled out some super-obscure stuff - even outtakes from his records. A tiny fraction of the audience gets it, and it kills momentum, but he does it anyway. Same with REM.

One more thing:

Seems like since Pop, U2 has made a pretty active campaign in capturing new, younger fans. Think of the safe production, abundance of greatest hits packages, etc. I think they are also playing to these newbies in a way by running through what they feel are the band's greatest strengths.

After Pop, U2 could have continued on a more experimental line. They could have even been forced to downscale to REM-sized shows and played to their solid, die-hard base. Those shows would have been much different, think. They would have been much more open to playing forgotten songs.

One more thing:

Seems like since Pop, U2 has made a pretty active campaign in capturing new, younger fans. Think of the safe production, abundance of greatest hits packages, etc. I think they are also playing to these newbies in a way by running through what they feel are the band's greatest strengths.

After Pop, U2 could have continued on a more experimental line. They could have even been forced to downscale to REM-sized shows and played to their solid, die-hard base. Those shows would have been much different, think. They would have been much more open to playing forgotten songs.

I completely agree- you two looks for universality, and in that vein will look to incorporate a large swath of their catalog, including recent hits.

That said, I'll have my stab at it:

1. New Song
2. New Song
3. Vertigo
4. Mysterious Ways
5. New Song
6. SYCMIOYO
7. Gone
8. New Song
9. WOWY
10. New Song
11. Slug(excerpt)/HMTMKMKM/Numb
12. One/Everlasting Love (excerpt)
13. Stay
14. New Song
15. 11 O'Clock
16. Gloria
17. Streets
========
18. New Song
19. Bullet the Blue Sky
20. Acrobat
21. New Song (Mercy?)
22. City of Blinding Lights
========
23. Miss Sarajevo/October (partial song)
24. Sweetest Thing
25. Pride

well, call me silly, but i love crowd participation and i think Elevation is a song that is unrivalled in u2s live repertoire when it comes to fun (as much as i think the album version isnt up to much)

if i didnt want crowd participation i'd stay at home and wait for the dvd to come out

QFT.

On the album, Elevation is not a good song by any stretch, but live...it's gold, Jerry. GOLD!

The vast majority of U2 concert-goers (who I'll differentiate from fans) will never come to a website like this, or participate in such a discussion. Fans care about the minutiae of details, like setlists, album artwork, beach clips, going to multiple shows etc. (sometimes to a degree that borders on fanaticism - see the other post in this forum about the possible new clip of U2 rehearsals on Youtube). Casual concert-goers will mostly just be familiar with the big hits and well-known songs, and so they'll go home happy if that's what they hear live. Since they constitute the majority of a concert audience, this is who the setlists are aimed at. So, when U2 played 'Electric Co' in Dublin in 2005, plenty of the crowd around me were clearly hearing it for the first time in their lives. I think in general though, they do get it mostly right, though I'm like plenty of others who'd like to see BTBS, Pride and SBS retired - maybe not permanently, but at least for a while.

They played In God's Country acoustic on the Elevation Tour with a beautiful harmonica solo and all. That's one of their songs that fit the acoustic treatment the best I think. It sounded great to me than.

In God's Country was pretty good acoustic, but it pales in comparison to the full band live version like from Joshua Tree tour.

Other than Staring At The Sun, I don't think any of the acoustic versions are better than the full band versions. (I don't count stay, because it was always an acoustic version, even with the full band.)

I think the 2-4 acoustic songs, is a lazy way to add some different songs into the mix. There is no reason they cannot rehearse a little more and do full versions of a lot of these songs. they are not that hard to play.

If they are going to do acoustic song thing again, do songs like the first time, in a little while, and yahweh that lend themselves to it. Don't take songs like Walk On, that were already really great live songs, and make them into a boring acoustic version (walk on acoustic wasn't terrrible, but compared to the full band version a big disappointment). That is just frustrating.

One more thing:

IF you look at setlists from REM's 1995 tour, most of the material covered is from Monster, Automatic, Out of TIme, and only the most popular songs from Green and Document, and hardly anything before that. They were selling out multiple arena/amphitheater shows in every city, and they were playing the songs from the albums most of the audience knew. Occasionally they'd throw in "So. Central Rain" or something like that, but for the most part they catered to the casual fans.

Then, starting in the 2003 "for the hell of it tour", REM started going back and pulling out old songs that you never would have thought you'd see them do. They no longer had to worry so much about the casual fans, because the smaller crowds they were playing to were the big fans who have stuck around. Had U2 gone the same way REM did after POP we would probably see more setlist differentiation spread out over their entire career. We'd probably have more albums released in the time since, tickets wouldn't be as expensive, or as hard to get! And we wouldn't have the crappy radio fodder songs like "Elevation" and "Vertigo" being the only songs most people know by U2.

Sounds like a perfect world to me. But I'll still take the U2 we know and love today.... they're pretty good! :wink:

I think the 2-4 acoustic songs, is a lazy way to add some different songs into the mix. There is no reason they cannot rehearse a little more and do full versions of a lot of these songs. they are not that hard to play.

I agree completely. It's a half-assed way to incorporate songs. Again, it's almost like they don't trust themselves as a rock band just to bash things out.

I get the professionalism of the band, but it's a rock concert - not a broadway show, you know?

every
single
night!

Go REM.

You know what was quite ironic about the band after pop though? I watched a youtube vid yesterday of an interview of the band in 97 at the start of their tour and bono was talking about the next album. I can't remember his exact words but he really said that it is not in them to just go and make a soft record after pop and that he really wanted to hit it hard next time. :|

Funny thing is they went through 2 straight mediocre records...

Please, for the Love of God, PLEASE stop playing PRIDE..... Whew! I got that off of my chest!!!

A few I'd like to see get back in the Sets:

Seconds (would kinda be cool)
TUF - I hope they "revisit" Unforgettable Fire Disc - great material there
Wire
ASOH
PROMANADE!!! - Someone above mentioned this song but I guess that would be a huge stretch for them to play this one.
Exit
OTH
Heartland - wouldn't that one put everyone's knickers in a twist
Hawkmoon 269
UltraViolet - this probably won't see the light of day again but I'd like to see it and I know Axver would hate it:hyper::lol:
Acrobat - never will happen
Dirty day
Last Night On Earth
HMKMTMKM
Walk On

So as not to totally hijack the thread...I will play along.

I agree it's time to retire Pride and I also think One and Bullet can go completely or into lesser rotation. The only hold-over I'd like to see is Streets, but that's my all time favorite live song. I understand having an emotional attachment to Pride because that's what pushed them over the top but I've seen 32 shows in the last 21 years and seen Pride, One, Bullet and Streets 32 times. What's that tell you?

I'd love to see Walk On dug out again, I can't understand why that got the ax last tour because it screams stadium anthem song. Nothing from Pop or Zooropa is remotely memorable for me, but I would like to see more from The Unforgettable Fire and different cuts from both AB and JT get resurrected.

I understand having an emotional attachment to Pride because that's what pushed them over the top but I've seen 32 shows in the last 21 years and seen Pride, One, Bullet and Streets 32 times. What's that tell you?
that you go to too many U2 shows?

Back
Top Bottom