U2 Tour 2009: All stadiums in US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
RUMORS (old and new):

- U2 will start their 2009 World Tour in late March in Las Vegas

- They will play all stadiums in the US this time, no arenas

- Consequently, they will play far less shows in the US compared to the Vertigo Tour, which will enable them to play more shows elsewhere

- New single will be released in August. It will not be "Moment Of Surrender". MOS will be released as a single at a later date

- New album will be released in late October/early November

For entertainment purposes only, please no wagering :wink:

RUMORS (old and new):

- U2 will start their 2009 World Tour in late March in Las Vegas

- They will play all stadiums in the US this time, no arenas

- Consequently, they will play far less shows in the US compared to the Vertigo Tour, which will enable them to play more shows elsewhere

- New single will be released in August. It will not be "Moment Of Surrender". MOS will be released as a single at a later date

- New album will be released in late October/early November

For entertainment purposes only, please no wagering :wink:

ugh, don't like stadium shows

but I do like that August is next month. :hyper:

Stadium shows in the US would be awesome, means that the tour won't take as long and they can get back in the studio for LP13 earlier. They were in North America for way too long for the Vertigo tour playing to midget arenas.

yeah, i really wonder how soon we'll hear the new single. i kind of have a feeling it will be in September because of the lack of buzz at the moment, but then again, U2 might be trying to sneak up on people this time around.

Stadium shows in the US would be awesome, means that the tour won't take as long and they can get back in the studio for LP13 earlier. They were in North America for way too long for the Vertigo tour playing to midget arenas.

i'm curious to see what kind of stage set up they would come up with.

ugh, don't like stadium shows

but I do like that August is next month. :hyper:

yeah, same...well only if the sound is good...but hopefully arenas too...it seems unrealistic to only play stadiums...

Btw, who was it that said they were starting in Vegas?

Mr. The Edge himself. :cool:

And yeah, whether it's August or September...man, I can almost taste it. :drool:

:hyper:

hey Rosebud :wave:

oh ok haha, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure....I thought someone mentioned Larry's sister saying something about that too and I wasn't sure, thanks :)

Weather in early spring is rather unpredictable in a sizeable chunk of the US, so I don't think all stadiums are a good idea if the tour would indeed start in March.

Plus, I prefer arena shows, so there's that. :wink:

If they really are going to play stadiums, I'm going to swallow my pride and spring for a U2.com membership. All of ticketmaster's seats will be terrible.

The sound absolutely SUCKS at the stadium here. I'd be so disappointed if they went that way. Then again, I'm not in the US, so maybe they'd play arenas in Canada. :)

Either way, I'll still be there, no matter what.

I don't care whether they do stadiums and arenas - though it will be easier to get tickets for stadium shows -, I want U2 to do more shows in Europe. Please! :hyper:

who's your source ?

I'll believe that when I see it. I think U2 won't play stadiums in US after Popmart experience.

As for that particular news, YES please !

Maybe they'll play a mixture of stadiums and arenas in the US/Canada, like the Stones did in '06, and Madonna will do later this year.

U2 can easily sell out stadiums in the bigger cities in the US/Canada. Just think of every arena on the Vertigo Tour where they played more than one night... that's at least 38,000 tickets right there. I can think of at least 20 US/Canadian cities off the top of my head where U2 can sell out stadiums, maybe for two nights.

They don't need to design these stadium shows to accomodate 50,000 people each night, they could do a Green Day stage arrangement that allows for 40,000 tickets max, or only play some of the smaller baseball stadiums instead of the larger football stadiums (ie. for the SF Bay Area: AT&T Park instead of the Oakland Coliseum).

Well I wouldn't mind U2 playing in big football stadiums or coliseums for a little while, but there definitely has to be some arena stops in their schedule...come on U2!

They might play arenas in the smaller North American markets like Salt Lake City, Hartford, Buffalo, Ottawa, Portland, etc.

One good reason for playing stadiums in the US might be the very weak dollar. Stadiums will provide way more cash than arenas. With the current exchange rate ticketsales from, let's say $ 3.000.000 wil provide the band with 'only' 1,7 million Euros. Take into consideration that all costs will have to be paid and you can imagine that if the band wants to earn some cash from a US tour, they'll be best of with stadiums....

I don't know what ticket prices are in the US right now, but I suppose it will be about $80 on average??

I don't see them doing stadiums in the US... As I have mentioned before, they are going for the intimacy nowadays and I just don't see that changing. Why change a good thing that works so well for them? IMO

oh, and less shows in the US..fat chance of that happening.

I don't see them doing stadiums in the US... As I have mentioned before, they are going for the intimacy nowadays and I just don't see that changing.

That must explain why they played Stadiums outside North America then.

That must explain why they played Stadiums outside North America then.

My memory is kinda failing me right now on how it worked for europe. I see that you are from there but for reasons maybe besides what I mentioned that seems to be the theme for the US, nothing against the europe. From I what remember they mainly did stadiums in europe. I know for the UK there are good arenas there and a few other countries besides (main markets). I think they have a slightly huger following in Europe too that they need the stadiums to accomodate as one of many factors. I think the overall vibe (still a certain kind of intimacy but definitely different) at shows is different for the rest of the world (Europe and beyond) compared to the US. Maybe there are things like costs, logistics, availability issues etc that factor into why they have been doing the last couple of tours at least and probably more this way.
Anyone with more info on this I would love to be enlightened...:wink:

In The Netherlands is a stadium named 'Arena'... it sucks!

I prefer real arena's but if they want to do some stadium gigs in Holland, they should play in Rotterdam!

Do we even have any evidence that U2 are thinking about stadiums?

I can't see them going away from the arena size venue, or the GA tickets. Although maybe with all the bitching that's gone on the past 2 tours, I think they should get rid of it.

I truly hope it's not just stadiums...I hate stadiums. There is nothing like U2 at madison square garden :drool:

I'd love a stadium tour again. Since my first time seeing them was in Philly during POPMart, and my most recent time seeing them was in Honolulu, and both of those shows are my favorite U2 shows so far, I would be absolutely fine and happy with a stadium tour. I feel like they've conquered arenas for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom