The CLAW - Part. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it will be a cylindrical screen that opens like an accordion...I'm dying to see photos of the screen assembly

The lighting rig has tons of equipment on it, too much for the cylindrical screen shown on the 360 tour webpage, so something else is going on for sure, I mean it goes all the way to the top of the tower...above the claw?? And somehow Edge wants this show will be visible from space, :huh: WTF? I'm loving this....

:hmm: i do have to question the logic behind putting a giant lightning rod in the middle of their stage

Probably the smartest thing they could do. Attract the electricity to a single high point, then ground the entire structure through each of the four legs rather than give mother nature various high points like the ZOOTV stage did.

This erection is giving me an, well let's just say I am excited.

The stage looks far enough from the asymmetrical near end of the stadium that I would have to imagine the GA will run behind the stage.

I woke up wondering where the underworld will be for the in-the-round stage setup. (Yes I dream about this shit.)

I wonder where the access to the stage for Dallas et al. will be...

Probably the smartest thing they could do. Attract the electricity to a single high point, then ground the entire structure through each of the four legs rather than give mother nature various high points like the ZOOTV stage did.

This erection is giving me an, well let's just say I am excited.

The stage looks far enough from the asymmetrical near end of the stadium that I would have to imagine the GA will run behind the stage.

I woke up wondering where the underworld will be for the in-the-round stage setup. (Yes I dream about this shit.)

I wonder where the access to the stage for Dallas et al. will be...

Most logic place would be in the center stage? But I't won't be big enoug for everything....

The lighting rig has tons of equipment on it, too much for the cylindrical screen shown on the 360 tour webpage, so something else is going on for sure, I mean it goes all the way to the top of the tower...above the claw?? And somehow Edge wants this show will be visible from space, :huh: WTF? I'm loving this....

I believe the cylindrical screen will be mounted to the black rectagular section of the claw and accordion down from there....take a look at how the Hoberman screens open up now on Checking Flash Player version . . .

Nothing else from what we currently have seen constructed in Belgium will be attached to the Bonor

The reference Edge made is probably a simple reference to the magnitude of the entire stage as well as the lighting on the Bonor. Think a bit about concentrating all the lights into a single beam pointed straight up to Mars.

Oh come on. U2 should have had the stage built at some vacant lot that could be webcast before the tickets went on sale. Doesn't every respectable act do that?

Mock me if you wish, but a lot of seats would have gone unsold if people knew that there was going to be a box truss standing in the middle of their sightline to the stage.

Mock me if you wish, but a lot of seats would have gone unsold if people knew that there was going to be a box truss standing in the middle of their sightline to the stage.

It is a large structure, but I think if you consider the distance between the truss and the stage, plus the distance between the seats and the truss, it might not be as big of an obstruction as one might think.

Just hoping... for the sake of people who have seats in-line with a truss.

I think worst-case scenario for someone, is that the truss completely blocks out their view of Larry. At least the other band members will be moving around the entire show.

i think it would be best for all of us not to over-react to the possibility of seats being obstructed until 200 fans come here screaming after the first concert.

I am almost at peace with the stage blocking my view of the band.

It may be more exciting to watch than they are...

:reject:

Please come back and post when you know for sure U2 hasn't taken this into consideration. When you have something more than speculation, post all you want about it...

Please come back and post when you know for sure U2 hasn't taken this into consideration. When you have something more than speculation, post all you want about it...

We already know based on the seat locations reported on this forum that people have purchased tickets for obstructed-view seats. My own cousin purchased Rose Bowl tickets for he and his wife that are severely obstructed by a supporting truss on Adam's side.

And don't be telling people when they can and can't post.

We already know based on the seat locations reported on this forum that people have purchased tickets for obstructed-view seats. My own cousin purchased Rose Bowl tickets for he and his wife that are severely obstructed by a supporting truss on Adam's side.

And don't be telling people when they can and can't post.

I think the point everyone's trying to make here is not to get all worked up about it until we find out just how much of an obstruction these things are. There is no possible way for anyone to know this until we get reports back from the first show.

And even if it looks like a truss will be in your line-of-sight on the seating chart, that's not necessarily going to be the case when you show up at the venue. The charts are not drawn to-scale.

The structure is probably going to play a part in the light show anyway. If it's partially obstructing the center of the stage, does it really matter all that much? We're all going to see the show as a whole - not just the 4 band members standing on stage.

Obviously, you can continue to post your concerns about this all you want. But what's the point? In reality, you don't have enough facts to back up your concerns, so you're just wasting your energy worrying about it.

Just look at 360.u2.com- this was our first resource regarding possible "views" in a stadium setting...of course there will be some seats with obstructed views, but I think that is one of the main reasons for the video screens to be designed as they are. U2 always incorporates lighting and video into their tours, so hopefully the entire package will help to prevent anyone from being too disgruntled about an obstructed view. I remember seeing the Rolling Stones years ago in Tempe- they looked like ants and you heard the audio about 1/4-1/2 second after seeing it on the video screens, but I still enjoyed the show anyhow

I think the point everyone's trying to make here is not to get all worked up about it until we find out just how much of an obstruction these things are. There is no possible way for anyone to know this until we get reports back from the first show.

And even if it looks like a truss will be in your line-of-sight on the seating chart, that's not necessarily going to be the case when you show up at the venue. The charts are not drawn to-scale. . . .

Obviously, you can continue to post your concerns about this all you want. But what's the point? In reality, you don't have enough facts to back up your concerns, so you're just wasting your energy worrying about it.

What is the point to any of the posts in this forum? Why are certain posters here afraid to read about potentially troubling issues surrounding this tour?

The seating charts on this tour have been the most specific seating charts we've ever seen from U2's organization, especially the charts from the later on-sales (in North America):

lg_losangeles.jpg

What aspects are you expecting to be different from what's been presented in the seating charts?

My own cousin purchased Rose Bowl tickets for he and his wife that are severely obstructed by a supporting truss on Adam's side.

One more thing I should point out, is that the images and maps on U2.com have not changed since your cousin bought his tickets. No new information has been provided since then. If he was that concerned, he should have thought more seriously about it at the time of purchase.

And don't try and say the box-trusses look much larger and more obstructive than the images on u2.com - they look very similar in size, in my opinion. Anybody who thought the claw was going to be held up by 4 thin metal legs needs to climb back off the future-wagon. This isn't Star Trek... we are still bound by the laws of physics and the limits of our current technological advancement. (oh... and the $$ U2 are willing to spend on 3 stages they plan to haul around the world)

The seating charts on this tour have been the most specific seating charts we've ever seen from U2's organization, especially the charts from the later on-sales (in North America):

What aspects are you expecting to be different from what's been presented in the seating charts?

the 3D view, physically being there, aspects.

... and yet this "most specific seating chart... ever" was provided at the time of purchase. What's your complaint?

What is the point to any of the posts in this forum? Why are certain posters here afraid to read about potentially troubling issues surrounding this tour?

I'm sorry for going on so much about this, pudgie... I do think you have a point to some extent. Just don't stress so much over it until you hear from first-hand reports on July 1st.

One more thing I should point out, is that the images and maps on U2.com have not changed since your cousin bought his tickets. No new information has been provided since then. If he was that concerned, he should have thought more seriously about it at the time of purchase.

I agree with you, and I hope he is able to con someone into buying his tickets. He bought his tickets from the O.R. on his iPhone and didn't have the easiest access to the seating chart when he submitted his order. There were a lot of people here, though, who bought similar tickets.

And don't try and say the box-trusses look much larger and more obstructive than the images on u2.com - they look very similar in size, in my opinion. Anybody who thought the claw was going to be held up by 4 thin metal legs needs to climb back off the future-wagon. This isn't Star Trek... we are still bound by the laws of physics and the limits of our current technological advancement.

I strongly disagree with you on this point. It is one thing to have simple, singular vertical columns obstructing your view (as is the case at older sports venues like Wrigley Field and Fenway Park).

obstructed-vertical-view.jpg

The initial artist's rendering suggested columns which were similar in "girth" to traditional stadium columns:

6a00e5502b6df48834011168f04b4a970c-800wi

It is quite another thing, however, to have a complicated box truss (consisting of 4 vertical chords, diagonal cross beams, & horizontal cross beams) obstructing your view.

4706b.gif

Given the width of the trusses, some of the seats are going to be atrociously bad. And, like I said before, we know from seat locations reported here that some people are going to be staring straight at one of those things.

I strongly disagree with you on this point. It is one thing to have simple, singular vertical columns obstructing your view (as is the case at older sports venues like Wrigley Field and Fenway Park).

The initial artist's rendering suggested columns which were similar in "girth" to traditional stadium columns:

It is quite another thing, however, to have a complicated box truss (consisting of 4 vertical chords, diagonal cross beams, & horizontal cross beams) obstructing your view.

Well... like I said before, I think the artist rendering suggested there was more than a single column for each leg (note 4 arches for each leg, which hints at a box-truss). I also stand by my point that it's pretty clear in the artist rendering that it would be physically impossible for the entire lighting & speaker rig shown to be supported by 4 small columns similar to what are in that Wrigley Field photo. And if the legs of the claw WERE actually that small, I would be much more concerned about the safety of everyone underneath it, than whether my view was obstructed.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Hopefully it will all turn out to be no big deal.

The Claw looks like some sick rollercoaster. Really REALLY curious how this will look when it is finished.

:lmao: :lol: :laugh: ...... :| :doh:

Given the width of the trusses, some of the seats are going to be atrociously bad. And, like I said before, we know from seat locations reported here that some people are going to be staring straight at one of those things.

and? the stage takes half of the field,
"staring straight at one of those things" still means you'll see MOST (as in 80-90%, not 50+1% :rolleyes:) of the stage.

And won't those legs have speakers connected to them? I'm going with the idea that its not going to be a great view, but instead a great sound and feel. Hopefully the screens will help out with the visuals.

I think the speakers will be hanging on top of the construction. I'm sure they are taking care of good sight, it wouldn't make much sense to built a 360 ° stage if part of the audience won't be able to see the stage. I don't think u2 would say: We don't care if people can see well, we have a great stage, that's all that matters. I'm pretty sure they've been taking care of things.
I think this stage will actually allow the best sight ever.

how do you know they are obstructed? the Claw hasn't even been built at the Rose Bowl yet.

the reason people are jumping on you is because you're jumping to conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom