more US dates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol:

It really wasn't (that roof over the Claw just made it all seem wrong). But I like the idea of it anyway. Portland on Vertigo was a good leg-ending show.

Your guess is as good as mine! I've heard nothing.

It would make sense to tie it into the down under dates when shipping the claws. Seems odd that they would skip at the very least Tokyo only dates.

There's many Asian countries that have really opened up in recent years for international touring that u2 have never played. Apparently Adam has extensively travelled the continent away from the band.

:lol:

It really wasn't (that roof over the Claw just made it all seem wrong). But I like the idea of it anyway. Portland on Vertigo was a good leg-ending show.

IMO, Vancouver didn't stand out for 2 reasons:
-Bono partied for the tour ending crew party the night BEFORE the show.
-They spend the most of the soundcheck figuring out Gimme Shelter

Meaning I got the identical core setlist the three 2009 shows I attended.

It would make sense to tie it into the down under dates when shipping the claws. Seems odd that they would skip at the very least Tokyo only dates.

There's many Asian countries that have really opened up in recent years for international touring that u2 have never played. Apparently Adam has extensively travelled the continent away from the band.

With Perth so close to Christmas, there's no way it'd be at the end of the leg, and if any Asian dates were before Auckland, you'd think they'd not only be rumoured, or announced, but have already had ticket sales! I'm starting to suspect Asia's missing out this time, unless they're going to tack it in somewhere before or between Latin America and North America; just shuttle one Claw across for a gig in Tokyo or whatever. Maybe they fear the numbers aren't there to justify such a huge show?

Still, surely they can do Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, and a major Indian city or two.

I'm really hoping for a few more NA shows in 2011. A new album would certainly boost interest. Places like St Louis, Nashville, Ohio, or the entire huge state of Texas could surely support another show.

With Perth so close to Christmas, there's no way it'd be at the end of the leg, and if any Asian dates were before Auckland, you'd think they'd not only be rumoured, or announced, but have already had ticket sales! I'm starting to suspect Asia's missing out this time, unless they're going to tack it in somewhere before or between Latin America and North America; just shuttle one Claw across for a gig in Tokyo or whatever. Maybe they fear the numbers aren't there to justify such a huge show?

Still, surely they can do Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, and a major Indian city or two.

I'm thinking Beijing(dodgy politcis notwithstanding) and Bangkok. Cairo, Mumbai and Jo-burg are pipe dreams but do-able.

It's shipping the claws across the ocean that's pricey, not keeping them in storage somewhere. They can do dates in January, ship them down to South America. Latin dates ending in Mexico before being in storage until the US dates.

In 1996 MJ brought his stadium tour to Seoul, 3 cities in Taiwan, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Mumbai, 2 dates in the Philipines, 6 in Japan, Brunai and 2 in Hawaii.

I think if they expand into more Asian markets it'll be in future arena tours, the logistics of 360 just wouldn't be realistic. In fact, it seems pretty likely they won't go to Japan even this time around.

As for more US dates, I hope so, I may be biased but come on, they can easily sell out another Gillette show nearly 2 years later, Boston is always huge for U2. I could see them doing some 2 night stands in NJ, Chicago and Toronto with a new album. As for areas with smaller stadiums and bad economies? Unlikely.

Maybe they will wait to add more US shows/3rd Europe leg until a new album is released this fall (hypothedical) and the world will be in love with U2 again because it'll be a huge hit. There are certain measures they can take to assure that this next album will be a big hit, but it'll cost them.

I agree totally. Even if they already have the new cities in mind for the rescheduled U.S. leg, they would not release them until after the new album comes out.

I think if they expand into more Asian markets it'll be in future arena tours, the logistics of 360 just wouldn't be realistic. In fact, it seems pretty likely they won't go to Japan even this time around.

As for more US dates, I hope so, I may be biased but come on, they can easily sell out another Gillette show nearly 2 years later, Boston is always huge for U2. I could see them doing some 2 night stands in NJ, Chicago and Toronto with a new album. As for areas with smaller stadiums and bad economies? Unlikely.

Good reliable rumor has it that Boston just barely missed the cut for a show on the US leg originally scheduled for 2010.

Mostly because of those stupid surveys that seemingly every fan but me got from the venue asking "If U2 were to come back on this tour and play this venue next year, would you come back?" Most said no, and cited the traffic!! To go entirely off topic, these were quite possibly the lamest crowds I have ever experienced at any U2 show. Boston is usually insane and calling for a 3rd encore, these people sat in their seats all night, yelled at people for standing up and left at the end of the main set.

The postponement/new material ensures that another Gillette date or 2 is a 100% lock.

As for other cities, definitely agree with what others said about more Midwest/interior South being viable options.

I wouldn't say it is locked, but with new material I could see it happening.

As for the crowds, I didn't notice that as I was close up on the floor both nights, and GA was rocking. But yeah, the traffic was a nightmare. I will always be pissed at South Boston for rejecting the plan to build the new Pats stadium there, would have been so much better for location and infrastructure.

I'm thinking Beijing(dodgy politcis notwithstanding) and Bangkok. Cairo, Mumbai and Jo-burg are pipe dreams but do-able.

There's no way they'd ever play in Mainland China. The chances that the PRC would allow it in the first place are small, and even if they approved a show, it would come with very strict requirements on what U2 could and could not do and say that they probably wouldn't like.

I wish they'd play another Texas date in 2011, but I know that's a total pipe dream. Houston and D/FW are done, I can't see them playing in El Paso, San Antonio's stadium is crappy and couldn't even fit the claw, and Austin's stadium is far too huge for our market.

Maybe they will wait to add more US shows/3rd Europe leg until a new album is released this fall (hypothedical) and the world will be in love with U2 again because it'll be a huge hit. There are certain measures they can take to assure that this next album will be a big hit, but it'll cost them.

Yeah, IF the rumours of a release come true, then I wouldn't expect any more shows to be announced until that material has hit the charts. Sales would be much easier on the back of that.

I think that the back issue really took the wind out of their North American sales. They might have to do a salvage job and add more dates to recoup.

These shows were already sold prior to the back issues.

If sales are weak it doesn't make any sense to add shows.

While I don't think sales for this US leg are weak, I definitely think a new album would get the general public thinking/interested in U2 again. The US is different than most markets. Most concerts, especially stadium shows, don't sell out at all, much less in a day, week or even month. It says a lot for U2 that they were able to draw 50,000+ to places like Charlottesville, Raleigh and Oklahoma. ACDC and the Stones failed to sell out many arena shows in the US, even though they pack stadiums in Europe, Australia, South America, Asia etc. The US just has so many options available to us at any time.

There's no way they'd ever play in Mainland China. The chances that the PRC would allow it in the first place are small, and even if they approved a show, it would come with very strict requirements on what U2 could and could not do and say that they probably wouldn't like.

I'd welcome a show without that stupid facemask bit. What songs beyond Walk On would get the axe? Bjork is far more outspoken and she was allowed to play as were a couple other artists(REM PJ Bowie RHCP Alanis?)

They only gave the Stones a list of 5 banned songs and let A LOT slip through the cracks. For instance the chorus of "Let's Spend the Night Together" was banned but Satisfaction line "make a dead man cum" was allowed.

u2 may be game as Bono may want some political angling - and they already did Russia and allowed the World Cup to use their song even though both places have some very dodgy recent human rights issues.

They have already done some wonky planning with logistics:

-Glastonbury 2010 or 2011 will be in the middle of US tours
-Russia/Turkey were very unique choices
-NZ and perth are kinda out of the way and places they skipped on past tours.
-playing 2 shows a week ain't cheap, instead of 3-4.
-They took the entire vertigo Stadium setup to Japan and Hawaii for shows in2 cities

I'd welcome a show without that stupid facemask bit. What songs beyond Walk On would get the axe? Bjork is far more outspoken and she was allowed to play as were a couple other artists(REM PJ Bowie RHCP Alanis?)

They only gave the Stones a list of 5 banned songs and let A LOT slip through the cracks. For instance the chorus of "Let's Spend the Night Together" was banned but Satisfaction line "make a dead man cum" was allowed.

u2 may be game as Bono may want some political angling - and they already did Russia and allowed the World Cup to use their song even though both places have some very dodgy recent human rights issues.

Neither REM or PJ have ever played China, not sure sure about the others.

And that line is from 'Start Me Up'.

KDKA in Pittsburgh just had a teaser about details about an upcoming U2 concert in Pittsburgh. Will post details as soon as they broadcast them.

Also, South Africa's human rights record is pretty clean (well, at least since the end of apartheid, of course).

Dan Rooney, United States Ambassador to Ireland (and chairman of the Pittsburgh Steelers), has apparently made a personal appeal to U2 to have them play Pittsburgh. And according to KDKA's report this evening, the band have agreed to visit Pittsburgh. The date would apparently be the finale of their 2011 American tour and would visit Heinz Field on July 26.

"The t's have not been crossed and the i's have not been dotted, but barring any unforeseen problems, the event will take place."

Back
Top Bottom