Is this the highest priced tickets for a stadium tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plp

The Fly
Ticket Prices

U2 to lower ticket prices

Tiscali, February 28, 2009

Irish rockers U2 have vowed to lower ticket prices to their shows - to allowed cash-strapped fans to enjoy their music during the global economic crisis.

The band are currently promoting their new album No Line On The Horizon and are planning to launch a major world tour this summer (09).

And frontman Bono admits they hope to split the prices of their tickets, giving their poorest fans a less expensive option, while more wealthy music lovers can splash their cash on the more pricey seats.

He says, "We're trying to work on some cheaper ticket prices because this is the recession. We're also going to have some very expensive ticket prices because rich people have feelings too!

"We've got something very special planned, something we've been working on for many years, a whole way of trying to do shows outdoors and make them very intimate."

(c) Tiscali, 2009.

Don't really like the sound of "some very expensive tickets". My fear is that after paying the money for a U2.com subscription, for the CHANCE of buying good tickets, the good seats will be out of my price range. Anyone care to hedge a guess as to how expensive the good seats will be?

yes, as I've mentioned before, I know people who spent $500 face value for Nickelback tix

thanks to Live Nation

I've been a huge U2 fan since 1983 and have seen every tour since then, but if good seats are in the neighborhood of $500 there's no chance I'm going. How rich do people need to be?

Last tour it was about $50-60 for GA floor. I imagine it will be $75 -100 for GA and since in the round will be $200 in the lower arena or more and uper deck $150 and nose bleed last couple of rows $75-100. They will want to make an average of $150 a seat to be in line with Madona and other Class A acts.
The GA tickets will be okay but I am sure they will have an inner area by special ticket to aleave any problems with crowd control etc. Or possible a spider effect so you have 8 GA sections divided by ramps the band can walk out on to get closer to the high dollar seats.......

THe sound will be the largest factor as to how it will work. I saw The Yes back in 70's in round and the sound was impecable I understand Prince round setup has excellent sound and when I saw him on lovesexy tour it was in the round.
You might have better sound in stands and with the light show screens being too close you will lose the visual effect.
I noticed with videos from Radiohead last tour being farther away gave the tube lighting a more 3 d effect.
So it is a crapshoot but at least the USA doesnt get the experimental start like Popmart that almost destroyed the tour.
We will get the polished extended set to impress shows in the fall all over college campuses.
U2 wants to connect with 18-20 year olds to guarantee a full retirement. SInce their generation is going broke from the failed economy they want the hard working young americans who have jobs and money to burn.:applaud::hyper:

if Paul McGuinness played it smart for his fans, there would be a set condition in the contract with Live Nation that provides U2 the means to reserve select premium tix for fanclub subscribers at U2-specified prices.

This could include packaged tix or not.

I've had many years of contract negotiations in my career, I am sure they came up with a similar card to play.

I find it interesting though that there hasn't been any word on U2.com on how the tix program will roll out for subscribers before March 9 - the wording sort of indicates that public tix will be available in line with the March 9 announcement only

I find it interesting though that there hasn't been any word on U2.com on how the tix program will roll out for subscribers before March 9 - the wording sort of indicates that public tix will be available in line with the March 9 announcement only

From the rumors I've been hearing, that leaves a very short window between the announcement and when the first presales will probably be. I imagine it's going to be a pretty chaotic week for people trying to plan trips to Europe, and I'm skeptical U2.com can keep up with the demand, especially since there seems to be a lag with many of their emails. I don't know how they give out presale codes, but if it's via email, I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be if people who subscribe don't get their code in time. :crack:

I asked this a while back and I am sure of the answer, but I want to hear from NYC fans. One of my friends said once that she saw a Vertigo show, in the ellipse, and the ticket she had said "$2500 right on it." I went on to tell her that was impossible, that U2 tickets sold through the band went for $160 at the most, and $45 for GA. She then told me it was a ticket her dad got through CitiGroup.

Which got me thinking- Citigroup must own a luxury box or 2 at MSG, and they were selling the entire box w/ GA tickets included for $2500 and whatever nice, wonderful now taxpayer employee at Citigroup wanted to give her dad the GA tickets in the package is how she got them. The $2500 must have been on every ticket as part of the luxury box package handled through the venue, not the band? Also, wasn't Hillary Clinton offering a place in the boxes for $2500 a pop and Bono flipped out? Thats what made me so adamant that U2 would not charge those kind of prices. I just cant stand it when people get the perception of them as greedy pigs charging hundreds or thousands for a show when legacy acts who no longer give a shit(one has a guy named Mick singing) charge a hell of a lot more.

I knew I was right, just was not going to press it further. This girl is naive in many ways, resident of Darien, CT who goes to events through seasons tickets, packages, corporate promotions, etc and thinks that the prices paid here are what bands charge.

yes, as I've mentioned before, I know people who spent $500 face value for Nickelback tix

thanks to Live Nation

At first I thought, damn that's ripped off.

Then, I thought, it's their own fault. Who ever buys tix to see Nickelback?????

I'm just hoping I can get a decent ticket for a decent price. I like the idea of a band wanting to keep lots of tickets cheap to help us all out since we're soooo poor and these are bad times for those of us not in mega-famous rock bands :wink:
But I always felt the whole noble idea was pretty flawed in the way that you had real fans [hopefully not just scalpers] getting the best spots for cheap, great, while other real fans were forced to pay through the nose for shit seats to make up the difference just because they weren't quick enough/the whole presale fiasco. :reject:

I remember hearing a few yrs back that the stones were charging £90 a ticket for some shows....and i thought that was bad.....but the 360 tour seems to be taking the piss! Anyone know of a higher face value ticket for a stadium gig? I think u2 have just gotten greedy!

When was the last time the band had seats for £30? they have even kept GA pretty much the same price as last time!,

i think that the Stones in '05/06 and Madonnas current tour's top price tickets were around £150

Madonna 2008 prices:

UK DATES
23rd August - Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (Ticket Prices: £150, £100, £85, £75, £65, £55)
11th Sept - Wembley Stadium, London (Ticket Prices: £160, £110, £90, £85, £75, £65)

gman, you've never been one for real facts, have you?

What are you bumbling on about BVS? To what "real facts" do you refer? Am VERY big on facts....hence why i am asking this question!
Can you give me ONE example of where i am guilty of not accepting facts BVS? Just ONE example will do:hmm:

I remember hearing a few yrs back that the stones were charging £90 a ticket for some shows....and i thought that was bad.....but the 360 tour seems to be taking the piss! Anyone know of a higher face value ticket for a stadium gig? I think u2 have just gotten greedy!

The Stones charged $500 US dollars and $400 US dollars for seats on the field near the stage.

But, I did discover that in Cardiff, there are tickets on the top Tier of the stadium for 150 pounds! I would say that is the most anyone has ever charged for a ticket that high up in a football stadium. Also notice that it appears the entire lower tier from the stage all the way almost to the back is charged at the 150 pound price as well. Yet, it appears that they have easily sold most of these tickets in a few hours. In Wembley they are all gone except for singles.

Tickets are priced based on demand. The more popular your artist is, the higher their ticket price will go.

I do think £150 is asking a LOT. If there were a handful of tickets that price I could understand. If it wasnt for the fact most people will do anything to see U2, Id have guessed there would be a lot of empty seats in those sections.

£30, conversely, is very generous. Cheap and cheerful. 3 tickets for £100-odd, who'd of funk it? :hyper:

The Stones charged $500 US dollars and $400 US dollars for seats on the field near the stage.

But, I did discover that in Cardiff, there are tickets on the top Tier of the stadium for 150 pounds! I would say that is the most anyone has ever charged for a ticket that high up in a football stadium. Also notice that it appears the entire lower tier from the stage all the way almost to the back is charged at the 150 pound price as well. Yet, it appears that they have easily sold most of these tickets in a few hours. In Wembley they are all gone except for singles.

Tickets are priced based on demand. The more popular your artist is, the higher their ticket price will go.

Madonna was charging those prices for the same type of seats at Wembley last year- and yes U2 are in a position of being able to charge that kind of money. I'm lucky enough to have GA tickets which at 59 euros each is a pretty good deal from my perspective- had they been doing Madonna style pricing I might have reviewed my U2 tour schedule somewhat- as it stands my tickets are well within an acceptable budget for me (and I'm not on a huge salary)

What are you bumbling on about BVS? To what "real facts" do you refer? Am VERY big on facts....hence why i am asking this question!
Can you give me ONE example of where i am guilty of not accepting facts BVS? Just ONE example will do:hmm:

Just a simple google search and you have found that Madonna, The Stones, and Zeppelin reunion have charged much more and this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

Just a simple google search and you have found that Madonna, The Stones, and Zeppelin reunion have charged much more and this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

In this case he only asked if anyone knew of higher ticket prices..

Led Zep were £125ish IIRC...

----------

Simple fact is U2 are being greedy.

3 Tenors had hundreds of $2,000 seats on each night of their 15-20 city World Stadium tour.

The Opening/Closing Ceremonies for the Olympics each have $1,500 tickets.

The best seats in New Yankee Stadium are $2600 PER GAME and they play 82 games per year! Premium seats cost a lot of money now - it's a fact of life.

The best seats in New Yankee Stadium are $2600 PER GAME and they play 82 games per year! Premium seats cost a lot of money now - it's a fact of life.

Even worse are courtside basketball games at Madison Square Garden. About $3000 or $4000 per game. No wonder there are only celebs there.

Back
Top Bottom