How will 360 be topped? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 08:09 PM
They can't top this tour stage. I for one would like to see them on a stage with 4 spots. Let's see if they can still make it work without all the bells and whistles. I know they can, the promo show for NLOTH at the Beacon Theater was amazing, I kill to be at a show like that.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #107
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Yep. They're the closest thing to ye olde U2 going. In a way, you could say that Coldplay could pull off an All That You Can't Leave Behind, and Muse could pull off a superficially spectacular 360 type stadium show, but Arcade Fire are the ones that are actually in the position to pull off a Joshua Tree. And you mention their artful/coherent records - they come with artful/coherent creative extensions, so I'd say they're the ones best poised to pull off a creatively all encompassing ZooTV type extension.

Before the peanut gallery jumps on that, that's not a direct comparison - Arcade Fire will likely never go as direct/wide appeal as U2 did during that period, and thus not as universally huge, but of all the bands mentioned in here, Arcade Fire are the ones who are right now, in many, many ways (but in their own way), sitting right about where U2 were circa UF. Watch what happens if Arcade Fire's next album is universally agreed upon as near perfect, and on top of that has just one or two songs that are just a bit more direct/wide appeal, and so to some degree truly cross over. And that's certainly not inconceivable, and they're certainly not a band without ambition.

Muse, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Killers (or whoever else in that 'A' grade of size these days) have peaked or are peaking, and in terms of all of career arc, creativity and performance are all in varying ways only very, very, very, very, very, very superficially comparable to where U2 were at or headed. They're all pretenders, comparably. To make the comparisons, you're either missing the essence, or you're only looking at U2's career arc, creativity and performance in very, very, very superficial ways.
Well said Mr. Shavers, especially the last paragraph.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2BROTHR View Post
Dare I say....may it possibly be the last tour ever? I dunno. I think this Moncton gig might have a huge reveal. A symbolic passing of the instruments to Arcade Fire.....just like The Police did to U2 many years ago? I hope not. But after watching 6 shows on this leg, I'm starting to think the writing might be on the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnathan15 View Post
You're not the only one worried about this possibility

people.....people.........!!!

geeezzzz they're only 50 for goodness sakes !

Bruce and E St did a smokin' tour in 2009 when he was........

gasp!!!!!

...... 60!

however for bono's pipe's sakes he should cut down on the drinkin' some

and hopefully larry can manage what ever arm/shoulder problems he sometimes has.....

Ads is much better health than when he was for decades

and haven't heard of any real problems for Edge (but then again hegets his medical treatments from the Future!)

and they have that Live Nation contract, too............
Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Although, there are actually two mirrorballs, one above the band and one on the very top of the Claw which does create one of the coolest lighting effects I've ever seen during songs like WOWY & MOS.
that was glorious! got pics and vids!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon

So you recognize that your "EWWW I WOULD RATHER IT GO TO ANYONE EVEN INTERPOL WHO ARE BORING AND SUCK" post was reactionary and ridiculous, yes?.
Did I say that?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

i did post be4 i saw your later posts U2bro!

selfishly .... i love goig back to arenas b/c

MSG is smack dab in the lower mid part of Mid_manhattan and
i can can take (relativly) cheep-o public transit AND
b/c it is where it is in a 24 hr transit city I can stay outside after the show and get to stand outside before the show if not doing GA. but i'll bee aiming for GA agin!

i c like that it could be mixing stadiums, arenas & theaters and even clubs ( oh god a club!!!! near )

i think for club dates -- some could be "secret" in that they call themselves something else related to stuff hard-core fans would know !
Old 07-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington77 View Post
Coldplay...??

They are too busy ripping off other ppls music re: Joe Satriani and Cat Stevens. Pls!

Anyone that thinks Coldplay can take over from U2 clearly isn't washing the fruit before they eat it.
U2 have "nicked" just as many songs as Coldsore. So did Zeppelin, Stones and Dylan.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #113
The Fly

It wouldn't top 360! But in my mind it would if they scaled way back and played smaller venues! Of course I also pretended that the inner pit at 360 was all the crowd that was there pretending it was a small show!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

A bit of news from 2 weeks ago that went without much fanfare may at least give a hint as to what live nation may want...

Jim Dolan, president, C.E.O, and all around douchebag of Cablevision has joined Live Nation's board of directors. Cablevision, of course, owns Madison Square Garden, as well as many other smaller venues like the beacon, radio city, the Chicago theater, and many more.

Dolan once spent tens of millions of his own dollars to advertise against building a stadium on Manhattan's west side, effectively scuttling the NYC2012 Olympic bid, simply because he didn't want concert and event competition just down the road from MSG.

He's only one guy, but he has a ton of influence. So I'm guessing Live Nation will push for arenas.

Ultimately it's the band's call of course. But if the next U2 tour kicks off at Madison Square Garden, well, yea...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #115
The Male

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Did I say that?
"Anyone" would actually suggest bands even worse than Interpol.

Now.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #116
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
A bit of news from 2 weeks ago that went without much fanfare may at least give a hint as to what live nation may want...

Jim Dolan, president, C.E.O, and all around douchebag of Cablevision has joined Live Nation's board of directors. Cablevision, of course, owns Madison Square Garden, as well as many other smaller venues like the beacon, radio city, the Chicago theater, and many more.

Dolan once spent tens of millions of his own dollars to advertise against building a stadium on Manhattan's west side, effectively scuttling the NYC2012 Olympic bid, simply because he didn't want concert and event competition just down the road from MSG.

He's only one guy, but he has a ton of influence. So I'm guessing Live Nation will push for arenas.

Ultimately it's the band's call of course. But if the next U2 tour kicks off at Madison Square Garden, well, yea...
The show would be preceded by 2 hours of JD and the Straight Shot.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor

ugh...
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

Please please please do not get me started here.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand GO
Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #120
The Fly

Local Time: 04:09 PM
What if they do a ZOOTV type of stage setup, make it bigger, and add in a circular pit? ZOOTV was known for its 36 video screens, but when I watch the concert DVD, it seems like only 5 or 6 of those screens were significant in size, I don't even notice any other ones. I never went to ZOOTV, so can someone who went kindly clarify? Were all those tiny screens that were on random parts of the stage counted towards the 36?

I was thinking thinking they do something with many different large screens, making for a huge backdrop that would be perhaps larger than the Popmart backdrop. An Elevation/Vertigo/360 type circular stage can be added making the setup a combination of ZOOTV, Popmart and the later era circular stage & pit. Of course, the 360 concept would be killed with this.

Or, maybe they can hang the screens from the 360 claws, which seems silly, but the stage was built to hold twice the mass of the circular screen that is currently being used. Although, I doubt they will ever use the claw again since it would seem lame.

This came to mind last night when I was falling asleep. What do you all think?