Ear plugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ear plugs for the tour?

• Total voters
I broke down and wore earplugs to Green Day last weekend (it was indoors) and I was actually glad. I took them out at one point, just to see what it was like, and then happily put them back in. How non-punkrock of me. :rolleyes:

During the last two tours, I ended up wearing ear buds. I noticed a big difference at least after the concert! The times I did not wear them, I left with a pounding headache and my ears totally a mess. SO, I decided to give the earplugs a try...and I think it gives a better experience.

This of course was for when they were in arenas.... are earplugs still necessary for outdoor stadium????????

I've only used earplugs for any concert just once... saw Dir en grey (a metal band from Japan) live at a small club around here. While they did reduce the thumping of the bass, they also reduced my ability to hear any vocals whatsoever.

So no, I won't be using them at my U2 show.

I've had tinnitus since I was a kid. I brought 3 kinds of ear plugs with me to both Chicago shows. For night one, I was in the pit back rail and I was constantly changing out plugs. I tried the Hearos rock n roll plugs with a noise reduction rating of 22. It sounded fine, but it was still too loud and Bono's voice sounded too high pitched. Same with the Hearos HiFi plugs which are the same as the ER-20. The foam plugs suck since they sound hollow and you can't hear the guitars.

For night 2, I was outside the pit in the corner next to the red zone. I was in between the front and side speakers, so that helped cut down the sound. Basically I think if i'm in GA, the ER-20 style isn't enough and the Hearos rock n roll style isn't enough either. I think i'd just have to stand away from the direct path of the speakers.

I've had tinnitus since I was a kid. I brought 3 kinds of ear plugs with me to both Chicago shows. For night one, I was in the pit back rail and I was constantly changing out plugs. I tried the Hearos rock n roll plugs with a noise reduction rating of 22. It sounded fine, but it was still too loud and Bono's voice sounded too high pitched. Same with the Hearos HiFi plugs which are the same as the ER-20. The foam plugs suck since they sound hollow and you can't hear the guitars.

For night 2, I was outside the pit in the corner next to the red zone. I was in between the front and side speakers, so that helped cut down the sound. Basically I think if i'm in GA, the ER-20 style isn't enough and the Hearos rock n roll style isn't enough either. I think i'd just have to stand away from the direct path of the speakers.

I guess it depends on the sensitivity of your hearing. I used 12db Hearos the first night, about 6-8 people back from the walkway on Edge's side. Lost them in the confusion, so when in Red Zone the following night I had the cheaper 20db Hearos. They muffled things a little bit but were great at protecting my hearing. No tinnitus at all either night.
I plan on getting another pair of the 12db ones for the next leg.

Birdlover

I've been using the Hocks Noise Breaker ear plugs
at pretty much every concert I've been to over the
last four years. They never muffle the sound and
block out a lot of crowd noise. I forgot to bring
them with me to Toronto 1, and I suffered simply
because I could barely hear Edge singing over the
crowd. However, I did have them for Toronto 2,
and the sound was very clear, blocking overly loud
crowd noise, thus allowing me to hear Edge's
voice much better.

I should also mention that I started wearing them
because I was attending multiple Nine Inch Nails
shows, and they have definitely helped me keep
my hearing intact (especially since NIN plays incredibly
loud).

I never used to wear them and eventually realized how really not smart that was. I forgot them last summer when I went to see Bob Dylan for the first time but I thought oh well how loud could Bob Dylan be? :doh: (2nd row from front rail GA) I was very sorry and couldn't hear for the next 3 days.

I wore the ER20's to Green Day last month and it was the best thing I ever did. I heard everything perfectly, the music was clear and plenty loud enough, I could understand every word said, and best thing was when I got home I didn't even have the slightest ringing or any hissing sound in my ears at all.

Finally learned my lesson :)

Will you use them for the tour?
Did you use them already?
Does it make a difference in sound quality?

Yes.
Yes.
Most definitely. It blocks out a lot of obnoxious high-end frequencies (i.e., the ones that people with hearing damage don't tend to hear as well), and also mutes a lot of annoying audience noises, which, IMO, tend to distract from listening and paying attention to the music. The concert then sounds as good as a live album or DVD concert.

I've used them for shows before, but not U2 shows, generally. I see how the show sounds, pop them in and see if there's a difference, and if it doesn't improve the sound, I generally take them out, providing it's not so loud that my ears are practically bleeding. During the Vertigo tour, I put them in for the first song or two, then took them out and found that I didn't need them for the rest of the tour. The first 360 show in the pit, I didn't find the sound that great, and my ears did start to hurt a little. Then I had this bizarre thing happen - about 3/4 of the way into the show, my balance started feeling all wonky and weird. :huh: Has anyone else ever had that happen? I didn't have ear plugs with me unfortunately, so I wadded up some tissue and stuck in my ears, and that made it much better. The second show I was back of the field by the soundboard, and the sound was superb, no sound blocking required.

But yeah, I'd definitely suggest at least bringing them. They do protect your hearing, and also block out distortion and make the sound better, in many cases. I never bought the expensive, specially made for music ear plugs, either. My ex gets them at work, and he gave me a bunch, both the softer rounded type, and the yellow, cylindrical type. They both work well.

ER-20's are great (Earphone Solutions - Shure Earphones, Sennheiser Earbud, Ultimate Ears Ear Buds, Shure earbuds and Westone Earphones - The Best Earphones for iPod Comparisons and Reviews is a great place) but if one didn't want to go with the pricier option then getting any >30db isolation foamies is a grand idea. I did this for the concert and the sound was excellent. The attenuation overall is consistent with the bass brought back into balance and the highs remain quite clear depending on where one is. I was in the pit and the volume was VERY loud without the ear plugs in. Among my friends, my wife and I were the only ones who didn't have ringing ears after the show.

Well I was 10 years old when I went to my first U2 show and I didn't wear earplugs. I didn't even have ringing in my ears the day after the show.

Good feedback.
C, where did you get the ER-20's?

The Hearos HiFi are the same thing. You can get them online for $10 or at guitar center for $15.

I've looked into the Alpine MusicSafe plugs Alpine MusicSafe Pro Natural Sound Ear Plugs: Made for Professionals, and Now Available to Everyone! - Alpine PartyPlug Music and Concert Ear Plugs
but they are too expensive. I think i'll have to stick with the Hearos Rock n Roll plugs since the ER-20 style isn't enough

right in front of the sub-roofs and speakers, my body was vibrating and my voice was shot but no head aches, no ringing ears and nothing really else and i usually do get ringing ears but not last week.

I was in the 200 section at Chicago 1, close to the stage. Earplugs occasionally went in for songs I didn't care about (read: Vertigo, Elevation), but I didn't use them at all from about halfway through the show on. I should have... but meh, I don't go to many concerts, and I didn't really have any ringing or temporary hearing loss after the show, so I should be fine.

Sound definitely affects people differently but make no mistake, the volume we are subjected to (particularly in the Pit) is incredibly damaging to your ears. I went with my wife and two friends. My wife and I wore ear plugs and really enjoyed the concert. My male friend who used to be in a loud rock band, didn't find the concert loud at all, but then he has hearing damage from years of playing in a band. His wife didn't like the feeling of the ear plugs and decided to go without. After the concert we headed to a pub and she was suffering from a really bad head ache, some serious ear ringing and she had to leave the table as she was going to be sick. My wife walked her back to the hotel where she took some meds and tried to pass out. The volume was simply too much for her. This wasn't a My Bloody Valentine concert but it also wasn't an elegant small wood ensemble playing in a hall either. BIG volume for an over-the-top superb concert.

Do yourself a favour, bring hearing protection just in case. Even if you don't use it, at least you have it if you feel the need. Once one loses hearing, it doesn't come back, particularly prevalent is the loss of high frequency hearing, say above 14 kHz. In most cases this won't matter much as most music falls well under that high up, but harmonics and overtones are often attributed to high frequency hearing, along with that sense of "air" and separation, the ethereal quality of a lot of music. It's all up in the highs, it is a shame to lose the ability to hear the top end.

I thought that the sound this time around was a respectable volume and not overpowering in the least. I thought Vertigo was louder. :shrug:

Having left my earplugs in the car last night being in a rush due to the heavy traffic, I'd agree. First show in some time without them and no ill effects. I will be bringing them tonight though.

I brought some with me to the 2 awesome Boston concerts (Bos 2 infinitely better than 1 BTW but both awesome shows) and found I did not need them whatsoever. I was in the pit on the front rail and while I thought Bono's voice sounded a bit distorted at times during Bos 1, I didn't need plugs because of the volume although it was very loud. I guess everyone's ears and tolerances are different (can't say my calves fared as well though from all the jumping up and down in the pit,...such a high energy show). Good fun though. I actually forgot them for Bos 2 but didn't need them anyway.

FFS, it's a rock concert. Maybe if you don't have a job and you're following U2 to like, 10 cities then wear earplugs, but for the rest of us back here in reality you're seeing this band maybe once, or twice a tour.

Unless you have very bad hearing issues or a medical condition, just stop being lame and rock the heck out. You guys are like the people who put their fingers in their ears while watching fireworks.

Next thing you know you'll want seats on the floor like a Coldplay concert. Yeah, go wear earplugs to a Coldplay concert.

^ Whatever..I hope you don't ever get tinnitus. It's not very fun.

I ordered those Ety's for myself and my daughters. It's too late for me but they do help with ear pain from the volume. I hope to save my girls from what I go through now. I went to my first concert at the age of 12, it was Judas Priest. Have been to probably 50rock shows since then and kick my ass daily for not having worn earplugs. I probably laughed at the older people wearing them. What the hell did I know?

Do yourself a favor, invest in high quality ones, they will enhance the sound and protect your ears. Once the damage is there, it's there for life.

^ Exactly. After the last show we went to without them I seriously could not hear for days, and my daughter got it worse. She had pain in her ears for nearly a week. I also did the lifetime's worth of rock shows (without earplugs) and regret it now, but I feel lucky I didn't get tinnitus worse than I have it now.

I have never felt that I needed earplugs, not even in loud club shows, but being on the field at 360 I could have used them, not because it was out of balance or because I felt like my ears were being damaged, but because it made Bono's vocal sound much higher than if you had ear protection, in which case he sounded more natural, but both nights after about 3 songs you're so blasted by the bass he starts to sound normal again (haha, I guess that sounds like a case for ear damage, but no I bounced back a lot quicker than at other shows).

The thing is, you will probably not notice the damage until you are older and it's too late!

And I also never realized you can hear BETTER with good ear plugs when the sound is really loud.

don't need them if you are in the inner circle. the speakers are directly above and almost behind you, and its not that loud at all.

if you are outer rail, it is much, much louder. i would wear them out there, it was very loud. i didn't wear anything in the inner circle and no ringing or anything at all. it really wasn't that loud in that section.

Back
Top Bottom